Tools For This Recipe
– Check out all of my kitchen essentials here.
- 4-Quart Dutch Oven this is the perfect size for this soup. This one is high quality and youll have it forever.
- Pinch Bowls for measuring out ingredients ahead of time.
- Box Cheese Grater Shredding from a block tastes and melts much better than packaged cheese.
- Garlic Twister its much more flavorful to mince fresh garlic. This twister does it in seconds and is easy to clean and store.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
To make this soup in the crockpot, either use boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs added at the start of the cook time, or add your already-cooked chicken about 30 minutes before the soup is otherwise finished cooking.
Add all your soup ingredients as directed to the crockpot, then cook on low heat for 5-6 hours or until the chicken shreds easily.
Tips From The Betty Crocker Kitchens
- tip 1 Loving the slow-cooker soup ideas? If you want more peppers in your life try our recipe for Slow-Cooker Stuffed Pepper Soup for a richly flavored meal that’s perfect with a slice of crusty garlic bread.
- tip 2 If you’re looking for a creamier and cheesier dish, our recipe for Slow-Cooker Cheesy Potato Soup delivers a velvety texture with crispy bacon that you can prep in just 15 minutes.
Recommended Reading: Lipton Onion Mushroom Soup Mix Recipes
How Long Does Chicken Tortilla Soup Keep
Once cooked, let the soup cool to room temperature, and keep it in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. Save the tortillas strips separately so that they dont get soggy!
Reheat the soup on the stovetop, but be mindful to only reheat it once since it contains chicken. Just reheat as much as you need for each serving.
Chicken tortilla soup can also be frozen, for up to three months. Thaw it in the fridge before reheating on the stovetop.
How To Make Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
1 Start by prepping all of your ingredients. Chop the peppers and onion, mince the garlic and jalapeno, make sure that your chicken is shredded. Open the cans of black beans and tomatoes and drain and rinse the beans in a strainer.
2 In a large pot, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium high heat, then add the onions, peppers and cook until tender, about five minutes.
3 Stir in the garlic until its fragrantthis only takes a minute or two.
4 Pour in the chicken broth, then add the chicken, chili powder, cumin, jalapeños, can of diced tomatoes, and corn. Cook until starting to bubble.
5 Reduce the heat to medium/medium low, until the soup is gently simmering. Add some salt and pepper, then taste the broth with a spoon to see if there is enough seasoning. Add more salt until the flavors taste full and rounded.
6 Let the soup simmer for 20-25 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.
7 Add in the drained and rinsed black beans and the cilantro. Stir to combine.
8 Then, serve the soup over tortilla chips and shredded cheese. Top with avocado, sour cream, cilantro, and lime wedges.
Also Check: Campbell Soup Recipe For Swedish Meatballs
How To Adjust The Spice Level To Your Soup
You can adjust the heat level by adding more or less chili powder, or by adding or removing jalapeños.
When working with jalapeños, be sure to keep your hands away from your face and especially your eyes.
The juice from jalapeños can burn sensitive skin and eyes. So make sure to wash your hands well after dicing them.
More Easy Chicken Recipes
Chicken tortilla soup is seriously a homey comfort food that whole family approves of. For more easy chicken recipes, check out a few of our favorite from the archives
- Best Chicken Salad Another recipe for lunch or dinner that you can use a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken!
- Dinner Idea: Easy Orange Chicken A take on our favorite Chinese takeout menu.
- Rosemary Baked Lemon Chicken This recipe cooks on one pan with potatoes and carrots for an easy to make and easy to clean meal.
- Huli Huli Chicken Kebabs This healthy Hawaiian dish is packed for our flavors AND its healthy.
- Whole30 Chicken Salad Wrap Its Whole30, paleo and keto-approved.
- Skip some of the extra carbs with an easy zero carb bread recipe instead of tortilla chips for an even healthier option.
Be sure to let us know some of your favorite easy dinner ideas below!
Also Check: Is Campbell’s Cream Of Chicken Soup Gluten Free
How To Make Chicken Tortilla Soup:
This recipe just involves a ton of chopping and simmering. Nothing hard about it, but just takes a little time! Be sure to use fresh corn cut from the cob for an extra sweet crunch. Also, check out my crock pot version of this same soup. Equally delicious!
Im A Bit Of An Anomaly I Come From A Family Who Isnt Nearly As Obsessed With Food As Me And Growing Up My Friends Didnt Really Care Much About Food As Well Clearly Im From Another Planet The One Thing We Did Care About Growing Up Was Chicken Tortilla Soup There Was One Restaurant In Tucson That Has Since Shut Their Doors That Had The Most Epic Tortilla Soup In The City
During the good old days of high school wed go out for lunch or a girls night out and without fail, each and every one of us would order tortilla soup. God forbid we should ever branch out and order something else. But then again, why would we want to when this place had the best chicken tortilla soup on the planet!! It was equal parts smoky and spicy and I made sure to add extra cheese once it arrived to the table. #sorryimnotsorry
Ive been craving a trip to Tucson lately so I whipped up a version of this Tucson inspired Chicken Tortilla Soup and piled it high with all the toppings! Its loaded with shredded chicken, cheese, plenty of cilantro, crispy tortilla strips and of course, avocado.
Recommended Reading: Amy’s Organic Cream Of Tomato Soup
Is Chicken Tortilla Soup Healthy
This recipe makes enough soup for eight healthy portions and each serving is under 350 calories. The chicken and beans provide protein and fiber, and the rice provides carbohydrates. Full of fresh and healthy ingredients, this soup makes a great well balanced meal. Substitute chicken breast if you want to lighten things up.
Chicken Tortilla Soup Crock Pot Recipe
Nothing beats the convenience of stirring ingredients together in the slow cooker and walking away for a few hours. Coming home to a simmering pot of Mexican chicken tortilla soup is a great way to end the day! Best of all, this recipe is very flexible. Adjust the seasoning, tweak the ingredients, or omit the chicken altogether . It’s satisfying, it’s hearty, and it’s incredibly easy!
Read Also: Why Is Cabbage Soup Good For Weight Loss
How To Make Chicken Tortilla Soup
This really is such an EASY recipe for chicken tortilla soup! Heres a look at how its made:
The Best & Easiest Soup
I mean, how can you NOT love them?
Todays recipe for Chicken Tortilla Soup tastes so good and is so simple that we wanted to make sure you could try it too. Being Hispanic, our family loves anything with tortillas, so this recipe was right up our alley.
We ended up topping it off with some homemade tortilla strips and cubed avocado, which made it even that much better!
If Im going to be honest, if a recipe calls for Chicken and Avocados, I pretty much know Ill love it. Put it in a soup form, and I love it even more. This really is the best and easiest soup!
Don’t Miss: Does Soup Help You Lose Weight
How To Serve Chicken Tortilla Soup
So if Im being completely honest, the toppings are everything to me when it comes to this soup. Similar to chili, I love to prepare a variety of different toppings and add them to my soup when serving. Give me alllllllll the toppings.
This is also a fun way to let people customize their meals if youre serving this to a group. Line up the toppings and let people build their bowls, similar to a taco bar!
I LOVE to serve this soup with homemade tortilla strips. Theyre super easy to make. All you have to do is cut corn tortillas into thin strips, toss in a little olive oil and bake for ~10 minutes.
Aside from the tortilla strips, some of my favorite toppings are:
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Chopped red or green onion
Ive even stirred leftover quinoa or brown rice into similar soups before if Im really hungry! What other toppings do you all like?!
How To Make The Best Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
Also Check: What’s In Chicken Tortilla Soup
The Best Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
You are going to love this recipe for Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup! Now, I don’t want you to look at the list of ingredients and get overwhelmed here. I promise this won’t take you more than 5-10 minutes to throw in the crock pot. It can easily be put on before you go to work in the morning and be ready by the time you get home.
Cooking The Chicken For Chicken Tortilla Soup
Instead of using separate cutting boards and knives for the chicken and cutting it before cooking, I like using tongs and sliding the whole chicken breasts right into the pot to poach. After 20 minutes or so, the chicken should be completely cooked and be easy to shred or cut.
Slide the completely cooked chicken back into the pot and finish with the tortillas. SO much easier than messing with raw chicken!
You May Like: Chili’s Chicken Tortilla Soup
To Make Crispy Tortilla Strips:
- Pan Frying: Preheat a pan with 1/4 cup oil over medium-high heat. Cut 8 corn tortillas into thin strips and fry them in a couple of batches, adding more oil as needed. Remove from the pot and let drain on a paper-towel-lined plate.
- To Bake: Toss tortilla strips in a bowl with 2 Tbsp oil until well coated. Bake on a cookie sheet in a single layer at 350F for 15 minutes.
Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
I love an easy soup recipe you can quickly make and simmer on the stove. Taco or tortilla soup is also a dish that everyone loves, because you can set out different toppings, and everyone makes their own. You can serve whole tortilla chips on the side, or crunch them up in a bowl for a topping!
Of course, the cheese is optional, but the last step before serving is you add in cheese, melt, and stir.
We used Cabots Wickedly Habanero and its spicy so one option is to use a milder cheese in the soup, and then serve the spicy cheese on the side!
Read Also: How To Order Soup On Subway App
Tips For The Best Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- Make it Spicy: This particular recipe is pretty mild, since Im serving my soup to young kids. If you want it spicier, add an extra tablespoon of taco seasoning, use spicy salsa, add diced jalapeño, or season with hot sauce at the end.
- Use the meat from astore-bought rotisserie chicken for quicker prep.
- Add a squeeze of fresh lime juice at the very end for a bright, acidic touch.
- Use crushed tortilla chips or strips of flour tortillas to thicken the soup when you ladle it into the individual bowls.
How To Make Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup:
Place chicken breasts in the bottom of your crock pot. Season with a bit of salt & pepper. Add in diced onions and minced garlic. Then pour in beef stock and water. Then add in corn, diced tomatoes and enchilada sauce. Sprinkle in taco seasoning and chili powder. Then give it all a good stir. Put the cover on and cook on low for about 8-10 hours.
About 10-15 minutes before serving, take the chicken breasts out and shred them using two forks. The chicken will shred very easily. Then put shredded chicken back in pot. Stir again.
Let cook for additional 15 minutes. Then serve!
You May Like: Different Types Of Campbell Soup
Why Youll Love This Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe:
- Easy: Nothing could be easier than throwing ingredients in a pot, and letting it simmer on the stove.
- Flavorful: This soup is filled with chicken, chilis, rice, and lots of ingredients that cook together to create delicious flavor.
- Authentic: This tortilla soup recipe tastes like its straight from Mexico , with all the flavors youd expect.
Can You Freeze It
Yes! Soup freezes and reheats extremely well. To freeze this recipe, let it cool completely, then transfer it to an airtight container before adding toppings. It can be stored in the freezer for up to 6 months. To reheat, either defrost it in the refrigerator overnight or just transfer it frozen into a large pot and heat over medium heat.
Don’t Miss: Freeze Dried Vegetable Soup Mix
Why Is It So Popular
Our authentic chicken tortilla soup is chunky, perfectly spiced, and so quick to make.
The deep rich essence of the broth comes from sautéing the onions, garlic, and cilantro to release their flavor, before adding the broth and spices.
Cheese is also very important in this recipe for tortilla soupCheese and crushed tortilla chips are added at the end to thicken the soup base and give it a comforting luxurious feel.
There is so much depth and flavor in each bowl of soup, this will quickly become a family favorite!
Tips For Tortilla Soup:
- Use Leftover Chicken. Have a rotisserie chicken hanging out in your fridge? What about some leftover chicken breasts you dont know what to do with? You can always use leftover chicken to make a fresh batch of Chicken Tortilla Soup.
- Bone Broth Makes All The Difference. Use low-sodium bone broth or easily make your own chicken broth.
- Adjust The Spice. Do you like it spicy? Add some extra jalapeños into the mix.
- Save Time With Canned Corn And Beans. Speed up the cooking time by using canned corn and beans.
- Cut Avocado Right Before Serving. To keep your avocado from browning, cut it right before you serve the soup
- Season To Taste. Depending on the tomatoes and broth you use, you may need to adjust the salt to taste at the end.
Read Also: 7 Day Diet Weight Loss Soup
Best Tortillas For Chicken Tortilla Soup
The best tortillas to use for tortilla soup are stale yellow corn tortillas. Yellow corn tortillas are sturdier than white corn tortillas and have a richer flavor when cooked. Homemade is best, of course, but store-bought tortillas will also work for this recipe.
The tortillas should be a little stale, or dry they’ll fry up more easily that way. My guess is that tortilla soup was first invented as a way to use leftover tortillas.
Since I don’t usually have dry tortillas sitting around, I put my fresh-from-the-fridge corn tortillas in a 200°F oven for 10 to 15 minutes. That’s just enough heat to dry them sufficiently so they fry easily.
Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
When I see chicken tortilla soup on a restaurant menu, I get excited. Theres something about the slightly spicy broth with tender chicken, the corn and black beans, juicy tomatoes, creamy avocado, and those addictively good tortilla strips on top that I cant resist.
Rather than making a trip out for it, you can make Mexican tortilla soup with chicken at home in 30 minutes and its easy.
So many ingredients get tossed into the pot all at once and before you know it this hearty, comforting soup is ready. And it tastes better than my favorite restaurant version!
My family loved this easy tortilla soup and I love that its ready so quickly and with very minimal effort.
It makes enough that I stashed half in the freezer for those nights when I just want to pull something out of the freezer for dinner. And with winter cold and flu season around the corner, soup is perfect.