How To Make Creamy Potato Soup:
Serve the creamy potato soup with your favorite toppings!
Loaded Baked Potato Soup Recipe Ingredients
- Butter and Flour To make a roux for the soup base.
- Onion One white or yellow onion, diced
- Garlic 2 cloves, minced. You can use pre-minced in a jar, but fresh will have the best flavor.
- Milk I exclusively buy fat free milk, so thats what I used. But you can use whatever kind of milk you have on hand.
- Heavy Cream For a rich, creamy soup.
- Broth I like to use vegetable broth but chicken broth will also work.
- Potatoes You need 2 pounds of russet potatoes. I like russets because hold their shape better and dont turn to mush in the soup.
- SharpCheddar Cheese Freshly grated, off the block.
- Sour Cream For a little extra creaminess.
- Bacon About half a pound of bacon, cooked until its crispy and them crumbled into bits.
- Kosher Salt and Black Pepper Wait until the soup is done to taste and add salt and pepper.
- Fresh Chives for garnish.
Please Remember To Share Onfacebookand Pin It
- 4Russet potatoeswashed, baked, peeled, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 12slicesof baconuncooked and chopped
- 1yellow onionchopped
- 3cupshalf and half
- 3cupschicken broth
- 1 1/2cupscheddar cheeseshredded
- 1teaspoonblack pepper
Optional garnishes: cooked chopped bacon, sliced green onions, shredded cheddar cheese
Don’t Miss: Where To Buy Amy’s Soups
What Else Can I Add To Potato Soup
I love recipes that allow for fun add-ins or toppings, and this loaded potato soup is definitely one of them! Here are a few other ingredients that you can add, if you have them on hand:
The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products we use and love. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Are Baking Potatoes Good For Soup
Some might argue with me that the best potato is not a russet or Idaho for soup. But I would argue that its just perfect, especially since they are the type of potato most people happen to have on hand, and no one likes an extra trip to the store. The key in using these types of potatoes I this loaded baked potato soup is the blending. Once the potatoes are blended up with the milk and broth, the texture is just perfect and creamy.
However, that doesnt mean you cant use any kind of potato you like. Im also a fan of Yukon or red potatoes in this kind of potato soup recipe. Your call!
Don’t Miss: Where To Buy Kettle And Fire Keto Soup
One Pot Loaded Baked Potato Soup Recipe
I adore soups. Warm, comforting, filling and oh so delicious. I mean seriously veggies, meats, dairy everything in one dish the perfect bite. AND even better soups are so easy to make! I make soup probably once a week, so I have a ton of soup recipes to change things up often.
So when we decided to celebrate National Soup Month I knew just which soup to share my one pot Loaded Baked Potato soup! I mean who doesnt loved loaded baked potato and in soup form? YUM! Im just a little obsessed with this one!
But lets face it anything made with bacon and bacon grease is bound to be good, right? after you cook the bacon you cook the potatoes and the onions in the grease left YUM! Seriously so good! Then you not only stir in more onions, sour cream, cheese and of course bacon but you can also top each bowl with more to personalize it!
I think this might be my favorite month of Celebrating Food so far! Look how AMAZING all these soups look! I cant wait to try some of them and add them to my rotation. We have a few new food bloggers you wont want to miss so click over and check out each of their new recipes!
How To Make Disneys Baked Potato Soup
BACON. In a large pot or dutch oven, fry bacon until crispy over medium heat. When done, take the bacon out and let drain on a plate with a paper towel on it.
POTATOES. In the bacon fat, cook carrots for 3-4 minutes. Add potatoes and cook for 4-5 minutes stirring occasionally.
SAUCE. Whisk flour into your pot until the flour is cooked and the mixture has thickened up a little bit . Add chicken stock, most of the bacon , and salt & pepper.
SIMMER. Bring the soup to a simmer and cook for 20-25 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
TEXTURE. If you desire a creamier consistency, then mash some of the potatoes with a fork or pastry cutter and stir. Next, add whipping cream and 1 cup of cheese simmer for 5 minutes. If needed, add stock to reach your desired texture.
GARNISH + SERVE. Season to taste. Add more cheese to the top along with sour cream, chives or green onions, and left over bacon pieces.
Don’t Miss: Campbell’s Heart Healthy Soup
Tips On How To Make The Best Creamy Potato Soup
1. Use Golden potatoes- They have such a natural buttery flavor.
2. Add cream cheese Cream cheese really creates a smooth base and the tanginess compliments potatoes so well.
3. Add seasoning- Once your soup is done, youll need to taste and add enough seasoning to your liking. Be careful though, not too much if youre also going to be adding on lots of toppings! I like to keep it simple with seasonings and just use salt, pepper, garlic powder, and sometimes chili powder and chives.
Easy Baked Potato Soup
This Loaded Baked Potato Soup has everything youd expect fromloaded baked potatoes. Bacon, sour cream, cheese, onions, everything! Its nothing ground breaking but dang is it delicious.
You dont mess with amazing flavors if you dont have to. People have loved these flavors for years and years for good reason. I know youll love this as much as we do!
If you love a perfect baked potato, loaded to the nines, youll love this easy soup recipe! Dont forget the toppings!
You May Like: Scratch Homemade Soups And Sandwiches
How To Serve Loaded Baked Potato Soup
I honestly was transported right to Main Street, U.S.A. with this beautiful Loaded Baked Potato Soup recipe from Carnation Cafe. Hope you enjoy!
Lets Talk About Baked Potatoes
The reason this soup isnt just your ordinary creamy, potato soup is because the potatoes are baked prior to adding them to the soup.
Baked potatoes have a softer, creamier texture than throwing raw potatoes into a soup and letting them cook.
I usually use russet potatoes for this loaded baked potato soup. A time or two, Ive used red potatoes . I dont peel them before adding them to the soup since the skins are thin. And its delightful.
Oven cooking: poke holes in the potato with a fork bake at 375 degrees for about an hour until tender.
Instant Pot cooking: poke holes in the potato with a fork add 1 cup of water and a trivet/basket to the pressure cooker add the potatoes and cook on high pressure for 12 minutes naturally release the pressure .
My potatoes look a little sketch kind of wrinkly and forgotten. But dont judge them too harshly! These baked potatoes have been hanging out in my fridge for several days.
And even though the flesh of the potatoes is a little darker and kind of spotty in places, they still work great!
Lesson learned: leftover baked potatoes work like a dream in this recipe.
Baked and chilled potatoes are going to be much firmer than potatoes that have just been baked and are still warm.
Either way, once you add the potatoes to the soup, get in there with a potato masher and break the potatoes into smaller pieces.
Add the cheese to the warm soup and stir until it is melted completely.
Don’t Miss: Campbell’s Low Sodium Chicken Noodle Soup
What Ingredients Go Into Potato Soup
- Meat We used bacon in this recipe, you can substitute bacon for cubed ham, if desired.
- Potatoes you can use Russet, Idaho or Yukon gold potatoes. NOTE: If youre using Yukon potatoes, the skin may be left on.
- Veggies Though we only added onion and garlic, you can add cubed carrots and celery to the soup.
- No Cream Required! Instead of using heavy whipping cream. Make a roux to thicken the soup with butter, flour, broth and milk
- Cheese Mild cheddar or sharp cheddar is great.
How Do I Thicken My Baked Potato Soup
Depending on the milk you used , you may find that your soup isnt the consistency you wanted. In that case, make a slurry to thicken it up. Heres how: Add one cup of cold water to two tablespoons of corn starch in a small bowl. Whisk until thoroughly combined.
Then, slowly pour the slurry into the soup, stirring it in as you pour. Turn the heat up on the loaded baked potato soup to boiling. Let it boil for about 1 minute and watch as your soup magically starts to thicken.
Or, if youre a cheese lover , you can also use more cheese in to melt into the soup and thicken it. Or use both: a slurry then the cheese.
Don’t Miss: Souper Cubes Bed Bath And Beyond
Tips From The Betty Crocker Kitchens
- tip 1 A classic baking potato is the russet, which is one of the most starch-filled in the world of spuds. That starch is released as the potatoes cook in the broth, becoming part of the underpinning of a rich, thick soup.
- tip 2 Think outside of the bowl for serving up soup. Serve in mugs for an extra cozy feel, or hallow out a round loaf of bread to create a bread bowl.
- tip 3 Because of the millk and sour cream used in this recipe, it’s not a candidate for freezing.
- tip 4 A quick route to uniformly crisp pieces of bacon is to cut the slices crosswise into 1/2 inch pieces. Scrape them into the large skillet and fry them over medium heat until deeply golden brown.
What Is Potato Soup
Its pure comfort food . If you love loaded baked potatoes but have never had potato soup before then get ready to fall in love! Potato soup is like eating a loaded baked potato in soup form. Its so creamy and filling! It consists of mashed potatoes , onion, celery, and garlic in a creamy soup base made from cream cheese, chicken broth, and milk. This soup is good all by itself but it really comes to life when you add on all of your favorite baked potato toppings!
You May Like: Frozen Soup Bones For Dogs
Loaded Baked Potato Soup Recipe
I was so surprised at how quickly this comfort food recipe came together.
She has a brilliant tip microwave your potatoes to cut down on the cooking time. I quickly zapped my spuds in the microwave while I was cooking up some bacon on the stove top. Before I knew it, the soup was ready!
The only thing I did change about this recipe was that I left some of the potato skins on the potatoes. We love the texture of them and I liked how it gave the soup a little more depth.
Its obviously totally optional and would be amazing either way.
But seriously guys, you need this book! Its filled to the brim with not only 100 mouthwatering recipes, but also some super cute and totally do-able crafts to go along with them! Im super excited about the possibility of these easy crafts making me look like a modern day Martha Stewart to all my friends.
Its the little things.
Dont hesitate. Buy this book now. Get it on your Christmas wish-list! Or better yet, buy one for someone that you love! You wont regret it!
How To Make Potato Soupin A Nutshell
Also Check: Mrs Grass Chicken Noodle Soup
The Best Potato Soup Recipe
Homemade potato soup is so easy to make from scratch and beats any restaurant soup. The base is so creamy, hearty and filling. Its like a delicious loaded baked potato with all your favorite toppings but as a soup, yes, please!
The soup uses ingredients you most likely already have at home and can be made so quickly, great for busy evenings.
Expert Tips And Tricks
- Personally, I love the flavor combination of the white cheddar with sharp cheese or even extra-sharp yellow cheddar. Using the cheeses as instructed will require about half of a block of cheese for each kind if youd like to use only one kind, I recommend sharp cheddar.
- Did you know that pre-shredded cheese has an additive in it that keeps it from caking together in the bag? Because of this, pre-shredded cheese wont want to cream together in your soup either. Thats why I recommend that you grate the cheese yourself using a box grater. This ensures a smooth, creamy soup.
- For milk, I prefer to use fat free half and half. However, you can use any milk you like, from 1% heavy cream, to skim. But please note that the higher the fat content in the milk, the richer and creamier your soup will be. So, while skim milk might have less fat, your soup will also be thinner.
- When it comes to bacon, you can either cook and crumble the bacon yourself, or for a timesaving tip, just use real bacon bits. I like to purchase the ones that look a little on the undercooked side and microwave them for 20-30 seconds to crisp them up!
You May Like: Is Egg Drop Soup Keto
How Do You Keep Potatoes From Getting Mushy In Soup
I have a few solutions for mushy potatoes:
- First, dont overcook them. If youve cut them up into 1-inch cubes, then cooking them as instructed in the broth for 12-15 minutes or until just soft, then they should be fine.
- Cook them in the broth. They will absorb the broth as they cook and will blend up smoothly just the same as if you cooked them in water. Plus, even if you drained off the water from the potatoes after cooking the in it, you could still end up with thin, runny soup because of the extra water in the potatoes.
- Youre using old potatoes. Potatoes will last awhile if stored in a cool, dark place, but if your potatoes are shriveled or have lots of sprouts growing off them, its time to toss those into the compost and get new potatoes before making this loaded baked potato soup.
How To Make It
Its super simple with some basic steps, like sauteing and simmering.
Don’t Miss: Amy’s Lentil Vegetable Soup Low Sodium