Amys Curried Lentil Soup
- Get new recipes from top Professionals!
- Save and organize all you recipes!
t get enough! CurriedLentilSoup Serves 4: One serving is 1.5 cups of soup + 1 Tbsp
for Sweet Potato and LentilSoup, full of a dhal. I added some curry powder and it made it
She taught us how to make bread from scratch, soups, stews, cheap meats like liver or ham
on its way and you all know what that means!! ‘Soup’s On’ is a group I started for foodies
Soup” It Up!, Share with soup, stew recipes here! Year round soups/stews
Copycat Amys Indian Golden Lentil Soup
Amys Indian Dal Golden Lentil soup is my favorite canned soup. Its super smooth, rich with protein from the lentils and peas, and has an amazing blend of Indian seasonings. I usually eat the entire can for dinner all by myself.
I once considered buying a case of it from Amazon, thinking I would feel better buying in bulk and cutting their almost $4/can price by a few dimes.
But I didnt.
I decided to make it myself!
I made a version of this soup earlier in the year that was really good but not exactly the same.
This latest version is spot on.
I used the ingredient list and order of ingredients to base my recipe. After the peas and lentils have cooked with the broth and seasonings, its just a matter of blending it to get the same texture as Amys soup.
Im so happy to have a solid option to turn to that saves money too!
Instant Pot Lentil Curry
- 2cups whole lentils
- 3.5cups unsalted chicken stock stock)
- 3tablespoons curry powder
- ½teaspoontable salt
Flavor Enhancing Ingredients:
- 2tablespoons ghee
- 8cloves garlic, minced
- 1medium onion, diced or minced
- 1tablespoon regular soy sauce
- ½ – 1teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼cup tomato paste
- ¼ – ½cup coconut milk
Read Also: Campbell’s Soup And Rice Recipes
Pressure Cook Lentil Curry
Add 1 tbsp regular soy sauce, ½ tsp table salt in Instant Pot, then give it a quick mix.
Add in 2 cups of whole lentils and 2.5 cups unsalted chicken stock.
*Note: If youre not using the coconut milk at the end, add in an extra ¼ cup unsalted chicken stock here.
*Pro Tip: Make sure the lentils are submerged in the liquid.
With Venting Knob in Venting Position, close the lid, then turn Venting Knob to Sealing Position.
- For Green Lentils: Pressure Cook at High Pressure for 10 minutes, then 10 minutes Natural Release
- For Brown Lentils: Pressure Cook at High Pressure for 8 minutes, then 10 minutes Natural Release
After 10 minutes, release the remaining pressure by turning the Venting Knob to Venting position.
Remove the lid carefully.
This Coconut Curry Lentil Soup Is Versatile
The coconut milk makes the soup creamy and the diced tomatoes give it a bright orange color, however, theyre completely optional. As per my Easy Lemon Lentil Soup, you only really need 6 cups of vegetable broth per 1.5 cups of red lentils. So since this soup already contains 4 cups of vegetable broth, feel-free to replace either of those cans with an additional cup of veggie broth . So:
- Replacing the coconut milk with 1 cup of broth will result in a bright red soup with and a more pronounced tomato flavor
- Replacing the diced tomatoes with 1 cup of broth will result in a creamier soup with a stronger coconut flavor
- Replacing BOTH the coconut milk AND diced tomatoes with 2 cups of broth will result in a soup soup with a lighter consistency but more pronounced spices, because it wont have the coconut milk or tomatoes to temper them
Actually, if you make this Coconut Curry Lentil Soup as-is, its pretty much thick enough to be considered a traditional curry or Indian Dal. So you could toss more greens into it and serve it with some brown rice or quinoa for an even heartier meal. See, I told you this recipe was versatile
Recommended Reading: Campbells Chicken Rice Broccoli Cheese Casserole Recipe
What Is Lentil Curry
There are various types of Lentil Curry such as Coconut Lentil Curry or Red Lentil Curry. Some curried lentils recipes use curry paste or tomatoes, while others use coconut milk.
This rich & hearty Instant Pot Lentil Curry is meant to be a super easy yet flavorful main vegetarian meal or side dish.
Youll enjoy the balanced savory-slight spicy-creamy-hearty flavors & textures filled with a delicious coconut aroma.
Whats awesome about cooking lentils in the Instant Pot is that its a very hands-off process to evenly cook lentils. The lentils will come out tender with chew and not mushy giving you a satisfying mouthfeel.
For this Instant Pot Lentil Curry Recipe, you can use Brown Whole Lentils or Green Whole Lentils. But if you use Red Lentils, they wont hold up as well & tend to disintegrate & get mushy when cooked through.
What Happens If Amy’s Kitchen Organic Curried Lentil Soup Is Out Of Stock And I Need To Give Specific Instructions
- Find Best Match: By default, your shopper will use their best judgement to pick a replacement for your item.
- Pick Specific Replacement: You can pick a specific alternative for the shopper to purchase if your first choice is out-of-stock.
- Don’t Replace: For items you’d rather not replace, choose “Don’t replace” to get a refund if the item is out of stock.
Don’t Miss: Beef Roast With Cream Of Mushroom Soup
How Much Does Instacart Delivery Or Pickup Cost
- Delivery fees start at $3.99 for same-day orders over $35. Fees vary for one-hour deliveries, club store deliveries, and deliveries under $35.
- Service fees vary and are subject to change based on factors like location and the number and types of items in your cart. Orders containing alcohol have a separate service fee.
- Tipping is optional but encouraged for delivery orders. It’s a great way to show your shopper appreciation and recognition for excellent service. 100% of your tip goes directly to the shopper who delivers your order.
- There may be a “pickup fee” on your pick up order that is typically $1.99 for non-Express members. Express membership waives this like it would a delivery fee.
- Pick up orders have no service fees, regardless of non-Express or Express membership.
Season & Add Coconut Milk
*Note: This curried lentils may not look like much, but once you give it a few quick mixes and add in the coconut milk, everything will start to come together nicely. And boy it tastes so rich & delicious!
Give it a few quick stirs and mix in ¼ cup coconut milk.
*Pro Tip: Coconut Milk enhances & balances the flavors of this lentil curry, its optional but we strongly recommend it.
Then, taste and adjust the seasoning by adding more salt .
Add in more coconut milk if desired.
Curried Lentils Ingredients Substitutions
If you dont have some of the ingredients, here are some substitution suggestions.
- Onion: substitute with 2 teaspoons onion powder
- Garlic: substitute with 1¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Ghee: substitute with unsalted butter, or olive oil
- Unsalted Chicken Stock: substitute with the same amount of vegetable stock or cold water
- Coconut Milk is a flavor enhancer and balancer, but it is optional if you dont have it on hand. You will need another ¼ cup of stock if youre not using coconut milk.
Garnish & Serve Curried Lentils
Garnish Curried Lentils with finely chopped cilantro or green onions.
This coconut lentil curry falls into the dont judge the dish by its looks category. It may not look pretty, but its definitely satisfying & delicious.
Enjoy this easy yet tasty Instant Pot Lentil Curry over rice, naan, or your favorite side dishes!
You May Like: Chicken And Rice With Lipton Onion Soup Mix
What Are Lentils
Lentils are legumes that are really great to have in your kitchen pantry:
- Versatile ingredient you can use in a variety of soups, stews, curries, salads, casseroles
- Long shelf life
- Full of nutrients high in protein & fiber
- Very budget-friendly
- Really quick & easy to cook you dont even need to soak them beforehand
There are lots of different types of lentils like brown, green, or red lentils. Each type holds different flavor, texture, nutrition, and requires different cooking times.