How Does Amys Kitchen Vegetable Barley Soup Taste
I heated this soup up in the microwave and had it for lunch.
I loved the flavor of the soup. There was a sweetness from the onions and carrots which balanced out by the earthiness of the barley. It was nice to have all of the different colors and textures as it kept the meal interesting. The barley was plentiful and almost creamy.
I did not find the flavor of the soup to be too salty despite the high sodium levels.
The flavors and textures were exactly what I was hoping for in a vegetable barley soup. There are only 120 calories in the soup but I found it to be a filling and satisfying meal.
While the soup made for a fine fall lunch, I will not be buying it again simply based on the sodium content.
How Much Vegetable Barley Soup Does This Make
This recipe makes a whopping 12 cups, which I would consider to be about 6 large 2-cup servings. Since the soup is mostly vegetables, I usually go with a slightly larger serving size. This is also a very thick soup once finished, so if you prefer it to be a little more brothy, you can add more vegetable broth and the yield will be even higher.
Family Owned Fiercely Independent
After the birth of our daughter Amy in 1987, we started Amyâs Kitchen to produce delicious, nourishing organic convenience foods for health-conscious people who are sometimes too busy to cook. Amyâs is a family-run business, and we supervise every aspect of our business and take pride in customer satisfaction. All the fruits, vegetables and grains we use are grown organically, without the use of insecticides, GMOs and other harmful chemicals. We prepare these natural ingredients with the same careful attention in our kitchen as you would in your own home.
We were organic before it was a national certification. So when the U.S. Department of Agriculture decided to create standards for organic, they looked to us for guidance. Together with other industry leaders, we helped pioneer the organic food industry and, more importantly, we helped make organic food available to more people.
All of our dishes are non-GMO and weâre a proud supporter of GMO labeling initiatives. Because we believe that people have a right to know what they put in their bodies. We were also the first to market with non-BPA-lined cans, and weâre happy to see many other food companies following our lead.
Recommended Reading: Soup Recipes That Help You Lose Weight
Chef Tips And Tricks:
- Add pinches of salt along the way to the vegetables to build flavor and to help soften the vegetables a little faster. Just be careful to not oversalt as the broth and tomato juice tend to be on the salty side.
- I prefer to cook the barley separately and add it to the soup at the end. To save a step, you may wish to cook the barley right in the soup. However, the barley will absorb some of the liquid and the starch will thicken the soup, so you may want to have some extra broth on hand. Also, be sure to rinse the barley before adding it directly to the soup uncooked. If using hulled barley instead of pearl, it will take much longer to cook.
- Hitting the dried Italian seasoning with some fat and heat is going to allow it to bloom and you wont have that dried herb taste.
- Save time by using frozen chopped vegetable blends.
What Do You Serve With Vegetable Barley Soup
This soup is just asking for a nice piece of buttered crusty bread for dipping! I would go with something with a lot of texture, like a homemade no knead bread, cornbread, or sour dough. I wouldnt even be against dropping a few cubes of Swiss cheese into this soup, for a little melty goodness in each bite!
P.S. If you have leftover barley, you should totally make my Baked Barley with Mushrooms!
The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products we use and love. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Scroll down for the step by step photos!
Read Also: Pacific Foods Chicken Noodle Soup
Can I Use Other Vegetables
The beauty of this Vegetable Barley Soup is that it is extremely versatile. You can add just about any vegetable to this soup, which makes it great for using up odds and ends of vegetables in your refrigerator and freezer. I used onion, garlic, diced tomatoes, carrots, potato, frozen green beans, frozen corn, and frozen peas, but you could also substitute or add in any of these vegetables:
Why This Recipe Is A Keeper
The soup-making process alone is therapeutic but slurping a steaming bowl of goodness like this Vegetable Barley Soup is like giving your soul a warm hug!
This easy Vegetable Barley Soup is:
- Low in Calories: Each serving is less than 200 calories. Vegetable Barley Soup is loaded with fiber so it fills you up!
- Versatile: You can vary the vegetables to almost anything you have!
- Easy: Okay, there is some chopping involved, but if theyre not perfect chef knife cuts, I wont judge. Save time by using frozen chopped vegetables that are ready to go!
- Freezer-Friendly: Freeze in containers for two to three months for whenever you need some wholesome soup comfort!
Also Check: Roasted Red Pepper Tomato Soup
Organic Light In Sodium Minestrone Soup 141 Oz
Prices and availability are subject to change without notice. Offers are specific to store listed above and limited to in-store. Promotions, discounts, and offers available in stores may not be available for online orders. The information provided on this website, including special diets and nutritional information, is for reference purposes and not intended as medical or healthcare information or advice. Actual product packaging and materials may contain more and/or different information than shown on our website. You should not rely solely on the information presented here and you should always read labels, warnings, and directions before using or consuming a product. The information provided on this website should not be relied upon to make health-related decisions.
- Opens in a new tab
Other Reviews From Kroger Customers
Lets take a look at what other customers think about this soup.
When I checked out the reviews for this soup on Krogers website I saw that there were just a few number of reviews and 86% of them were either 5 or 4 Stars.
There were also a few reviewers, 14%, who really disliked this soup and left it a 2 Star review.
Some of the positive comments reviewers left include:
- I initially thought the soup wouldnt taste good with the barley, but its delish! Even my husband is a fan of it and asked if we could order more.
- This has become my #1 soup. I like that its low fat. I add some frozen veggies and more seasoning and it becomes an entire meal for me with crackers or bread.
- All flavors of Amys are good. Veggie Barley is hearty, almost like a veggie stew, very good in chilly months.
Some of the negative comments reviewers left include:
- Sorry I was very disappointed with this one. I was expecting a vegetable taste, but this has very sweet overtones that cant be overcome with added sea salt. I was not impressed.
- Not the best tasting. I prefer the minestrone or the lentil.
In general it looks like most people enjoy this soup and do not share my concerns about the salt content.
Recommended Reading: Crockpot Potato Soup With Hash Browns
How To Make Vegetable Barley Soup Step By Step Photos
Dice one onion and mince two cloves of garlic. Add the onion and garlic to a large soup pot along with 2 Tbsp olive oil. Sauté over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until the onion is soft and translucent.
While the onion and garlic are cooking, peel and slice 1/2 lb. of carrots . Add the carrots to the soup pot along with one 28 oz. can diced tomatoes , 1 cup pearled barley, 1/2 tsp dried basil, 1/2 tsp dried oregano, some freshly cracked pepper, and 6 cups of vegetable broth. Stir to combine.
Place a lid on the pot, turn the heat up to medium-high, and bring the soup up to a boil. Once boiling, turn the heat down to medium-low and let it simmer, lid in place, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes. While the soup simmers, peel and dice a russet potato into 1/2-inch cubes. After simmering 30 minutes, add the diced potato and simmer 10 minutes more.
After simmering 10 minutes, the potatoes should be tender. Add 1 cup frozen green beans, 1/2 cup frozen peas, and 1/2 cup frozen corn to the soup. Stir to combine, and heat through .
Finally, stir 1 Tbsp lemon juice into the soup. Give it a taste and adjust the salt and pepper to your liking . Garnish with fresh chopped parsley, if desired.
YUMMMM. Vegetable-y goodness got me all warm and cozy!
What Is Barley
Barley is a short, chewy grain that is great in soups, stews, salads, pilafs, and more. You can usually find it in the grain section of your grocery store, near rice and dry beans. Its usually labeled pearled barley which simply means the outer husk and some of the bran has been removed. Barley does contain a small amount of gluten, so it is not considered a gluten-free food.
Read Also: Broccoli And Cheese Soup Walmart