Tips For Dairy Free Cream Of Mushroom Soup
- Variations: The cauliflower and cashew base can be used for a variety of cream soups. As photographed above, my favorite variation so far is to make a creamy kale and mushroom soup. For this variation, just add two cups of chopped kale at the same time as adding water to the concentrate. I have also added sweet corn and kale to make a cream of corn soup. If wanting to make a Cream of Chicken, I recommend using chicken bouillon in place of the vegetable, and adding shredded roasted chicken .
- Make it Ahead: If planning to use this in place of condensed soup in holiday recipes, make the condensed version, and freeze it. Thaw completely, and warm up with 1/4 cup of water. The soup needs to fully reheat to become creamy again after freezing.
Cream Of Mushroom Soup Time
Why We Love This Recipe
- Its quick and easy , perfect for a weeknight dinner.
- You likely have most of the ingredients on hand right now, youll just need the mushrooms and optional wine.
- Its cooks in one pot.
- The hardest part is slicing the mushrooms, but you can cheat and pick up pre-sliced for ease and convenience.
Without further ado, lets make soup!
Also Check: French Onion Soup Mix Potatoes
Variations And Tips For Non
- Cashew cream: If you’re making your own cashew cream but only want enough for this soup, you’ll want to blend approx. 100 g raw cashews with 150 ml water until smooth.
- Other cream: If you don’t want to use cashew cream, you could substitute coconut milk or another dairy-free cream product.
- Seasonings: You don’t want to overdo it with these use level teaspoons and level half teaspoons for the measurements and adjust up from there.
Why You Should Skip The Canned Mushroom Soup
One peek at the red and white label on a popular brand can of condensed cream of mushroom soup is usually all it takes to realize that its not the healthiest choice. At least, for most people. Aside from being loaded with sodium, most of the cream of anything soups lack essential healthy nutrients.
For the most part, they are nothing more than roux with flavored broth and a lot of salt and preservatives added to them. Depending on the flavor, you may find tiny amounts of the base ingredient in them too, like mushrooms or chicken.
If you want to make condensed soup ready to eat, you need to stir in a couple of cups of liquid to it. Most people use water. When you buy ready-to-eat mushroom soup or you order it at a restaurant, it is usually made with all purpose flour, salted butter, salted broth or stock, plus heavy cream and/or milk.
Don’t Miss: Bear Creek Tortilla Soup Recipes
What You Need For This Instant Pot Mushroom Soup:
See recipe card below for full ingredients list & recipe directions.
These are the main ingredients of this recipe :
- Mushrooms: Use a couple of different mushroom varieties for better flavor. I like to use a combination of crimini mushrooms, also known as baby bella, and shiitake mushrooms. White button mushrooms, portobello or porcini mushrooms are also good options.
- Broth: I like to use vegetable broth. However, if youre not following a vegetarian or vegan diet, chicken broth could be substituted. Use low sodium broth, if preferred.
- Coconut milk: Lite coconut milk adds some creaminess while keeping things dairy-free. Regular coconut milk can be substituted.
- Vegetables: Start with a standard mirepoix of diced onion, celery and carrots. And dont forget the minced garlic cloves.
- Olive oil: Sauté the mirepoix in a little olive oil. If preferred, use a tablespoon or two of water instead of oil.
- Seasoning: Youll need dried thyme, salt and black pepper.
A Healing Cream Of Mushroom Soup
This Cream of Mushroom soup is no ordinary soup recipe. It truly offers the best of both worlds! With healing and health benefits in mind, I particularly chose shitake mushrooms for this recipe. Not only do the shitake mushrooms give the mushroom soup a rich, buttery, meaty / umami flavor, but they contribute serious health and healing benefits too
Read Also: Pea Soup Andersen’s Inn Santa Nella
Whats To Love About This Vegan Cream Of Mushroom Soup:
Easy: Once you chop the veggies, theres not much left to do besides blending the soup at the end. Quick & easy!
One-pot: If you use a hand-held immersion blender to blend the soup, the entire recipe can be made in the Instant Pot. You can also use a regular blender.
Amazing taste: This dairy free cream of mushroom soup is creamy without the cream, and is rich in flavor from the sautéed veggies, garlic, thyme and combination of mushrooms.
KEEP IN TOUCHand receive recipes straight to your inbox!
Homemade Gluten Free Dairy Free Cream Of Mushroom Soup
Whether you don’t like to buy canned soup for health reasons, have dietary restrictions, or just want to try something different, here’s a basic recipe for a Homemade Gluten Free Dairy Free Cream of Mushroom Soup. You can even make it in advance and freeze to use later on!
- 2 teaspoons mince Garlic, Cloves
- & frac23 cups dice Onion
- ¼ cups Butter, Dairy Free
- ¼ cups Flour, Gluten Free All-Purpose
- 1 cup Milk, Dairy Free
- ¾ cups Chicken Broth/Stock
You May Like: Olive Garden Soup Options
How To Prep And Cook Mushrooms
The first step to making amazing vegan cream of mushroom soup is properly prepping and cooking your mushrooms. This makes such a big difference! Part of me is convinced that all the mushroom haters in the world just never had mushrooms done right. So listen up!
First, let’s talk cleaning. Don’t immerse your mushrooms in water, and if you can help it, skip rinsing them.Mushrooms are super porous, so they’ll suck up water like crazy. This means when you cook them they’ll get soggy instead of tender and browned, which is what we want. Instead, wipe your mushrooms down with a damp cloth.
When it comes to sautéing mushrooms, there are a few things to keep in mind.
What Makes This Cream Of Mushroom Soup Healthy
Most Cream of Mushroom soup recipes contain both dairy and gluten to give it the characteristic creaminess. Cream of Mushroom soup is a holiday classic and a key component in many other recipes, so I decided to spruce it up with some healthier swaps! These ingredients add nutrients and keep this soup allergen-friendly.
Recommended Reading: Ground Beef And Onion Soup Mix Recipes
How To Use Dairy
This recipe makes a little over 2 cups of sauce, equating to about 20 ounces. If the recipe youre making calls for one 10.5-ounce can of condensed cream of mushroom soup, measure out about 1 ¼ cups of this dairy-free cream of mushroom soup and proceed as normal.
If the recipe calls for two cans of soup, simply measure out 2 ½ cups , or 620 milliliters.
Similarly, if the recipe youre following calls for a can of condensed cream of mushroom soup and some measurement of milk, you can replace the milk with more full-fat canned coconut milk
Light canned coconut milk will work if its milk youre replacing, but go with the full-fat if youre replacing cream or half & half.
Vegan Cream Of Mushroom Soup Recipe Tips
This vegan cream of mushroom soup recipe is dedicated to my mom who helped test and finalize the recipe a few years ago. Btw, just because she’s Momma TKG doesn’t mean I get a pass on my recipes. If something isn’t right, she’ll let me know. So, thanks mom…we nailed this one!
Don’t Miss: Pot Roast Lipton Onion Soup Cream Of Mushroom
Mushroom Soup With Coconut Milk Is Our New Favorite Recipe
Im adding this to my Favorites list this gets a 10/10 on our homestead. I quote my husband This is 5-star restaurant good! Ive also had friends and family make this one and text me pics of how well it went. This is one of my most popular recipes, and with good reason! Its great to eat on its own, or add into any holiday recipe.
This is one of those awesome recipes that I couldnt actually believe is vegan. The sweet coconut broth and mushrooms together is an incredibly decadent combination. Its secretly healthy, but you cant tell because the flavor is so dynamite!
Blend And Flavor Barley
Pour the mixture into a blender and blend on high for 30 seconds to a minute.
Adding sugar, neutral flavored oil, and vanilla to this recipe is optional. In the recipe below for cream of mushroom soup we omit them. But if you are making this milk for daily drinking/cereal purposes then free to add them.
Dry mix together the Tara gum and sugar.
Slowly sprinkle in the Tara gum and sugar mixture as well as the vanilla. Blend until completely dispersed. If sugar is omitted the tara gum can be sprinkled in on its own.
If you would like a rich mouthfeel you can emulsify in a small amount of neutral flavored oil. While the blender is at medium high speed drizzle in the oil slowly to emulsify.
Once all the oil has been added you can remove it from the blender.
Also Check: Oven Pot Roast With Cream Of Mushroom Soup
Can I Buy Dairy
If you like to enjoy cream of mushroom soup or use it in recipes and have been looking for a brand you can purchase without having to make it from scratch at home, youre in luck. Ive done some research to find two options for you.
I found both on Amazon, but you could do some research to see if you can scout these options out locally. I havent had luck finding these in my local stores, but that doesnt mean you wont! Call around or look at your stores website to see if they carry these options.
This soup mix also only requires water to mix up a cream of mushroom soup you can enjoy on its own or in your favorite recipes. This soup is both gluten and dairy free.
Now that you know the basics of cream of mushroom soup, you can see why making it at home is a good idea if you avoid gluten and dairy. Lets go through how you can make your own version of this soup without the gluten and dairy.
Make It Now Cooking Directions
These directions are for cooking this recipe to serve immediately and NOT to freeze for later.
Recommended Reading: Extra Large Soup Bowls
How To Store This Dairy Free Cream Of Mushroom Soup:
This soup makes three servings, but you can easily double the recipe to have more on hand for recipes or leftovers. You can keep leftovers in the refrigerator in airtight containers for 3-4 days. I recommend re-heating on the stovetop for the best result.
Alternatively, you can freeze individual servings of this soup. I recommend using reusable silicone bags! Pour a serving in a bag and lay flat as you seal. This way, you can stack them in the freezer. Allow to thaw in the fridge, then reheat for the best texture.
Ingredients In Vegan Cream Of Mushroom Soup
A Homemade Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup might sound intimidating, but take a look at this ingredient list…it’s actually really short! I am always so excited when a recipe that feels special and comforting comes together quickly and easily, and this one totally did just that.
- Onion – You can use either yellow or white onion in this dish. I like to dice the onion small so it distributes into every single bite!
- Garlic – I used five fresh garlic cloves for this recipe! I love how the garlic combines with the mushrooms for incredible, savory flavor. If you’re a big garlic fan, try adding Roasted Garlic.
- Seasonings – With fresh garlic, onion, and mushrooms in this soup, I knew I wanted the seasonings to be simple and aromatic. I used just dried thyme, ground black pepper, and salt for the perfect flavor!
- Mushrooms – Since they’re the star of the show, you won’t be surprised that we’re using a lot of mushrooms! Trim and quarter or slice 24 ounces of fresh mushrooms. Use any of your favorite mushroom varieties…you can even mix and match for more texture! I typically go with baby bella, white button or cremini mushrooms for this soup.
- Homemade Cashew Cream – This is the vegan secret sauce! Cashew Cream is how I add creamy, silky, thickened texture to my plant-based recipes.
You May Like: Manwich Add Ins
Why I Love This Condensed Mushroom Soup
The weathers getting colder right now, and that means soup and comfort food season will be here before you know it. Im already dreaming of cozy evenings with comforting dinners like beef stew and chicken with dumplings.
I know casseroles are a big hit this time of year, too, and many of them call for dairy ingredients like condensed cream of mushroom soup. So I created my own version to use in classic recipes like green bean casserole.
Dairy Free Cream Of Mushroom Soup
Dairy free cream of mushroom soup
Dairy free cream of mushroom soup. To start, melt the butter flavored coconut oil in a large saucepan or skillet. This delicious vegan cream of mushroom soup is low in fat and high in nutrition, and it meets my dietary restrictions. For the vegan option, you can use your favorite vegan butter, milk, and vegetable broth. If you like it mellow or are going to be using it in another recipe, keep the mushrooms and veggies from getting too browned.
10 · 35 minutes · this homemade version of the canned standard has no dairy or preservatives. Saute the mushrooms, shallot and garlic over medium heat for 10 minutes, until the liquid has mostly evaporated. We share varieties for vegan condensed cream of mushroom soup or actual soup. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt. You can use heavy cream in place of the coconut milk. Simmer for 5 minutes then add the cashew cream.
You May Like: Lipton Soup Pot Roast Recipe
What Makes This Hungarian Mushroom Soup Recipe Healthy
Just to clarify, this recipe isnt forcondensed soup its for ready-to-eat soup. Its a healthier recipe because we make simple swaps for ingredients that include healthy nutrients!
How To Make Cream Of Mushroom Soup Dairy
Making dairy-free cream of mushroom soup doesnt have to be an all-day affair. You can seriously make a batch of paleo cream of mushroom soup with just 6 ingredients and in 30 minutes.
Take a look at how to make paleo mushroom soup the quick & easy way:
- Saute onions and mushrooms. After onions and mushrooms have softened, add in some garlic and saute for another minute.
- Add the liquid. Stir in the chicken broth, coconut milk, salt, and pepper, bring it to a boil.
- Puree the soup. You can use an immersion blender or a regular blender in batches.
NOTE: The dairy-free mushroom soup will be very hot, so be careful when you blend it!
Don’t Miss: Sloppy Joe Recipe With Tomato Soup