Made With Love Loved By Thousands
My 96 yr old mother always refused to drink nutritional drinks before trying your brand. Now she loves drinking them and is really flourishing and reaping the benefits in a big way. Thank you Kate Farms!!
I dont know what Id do without it. Ive used Kate Farms for almost four years now. First it gave me the nutrition I needed to get through cancer and a bone marrow transplant. Now its my supplement and meals as I recover from an eating disorder. Somedays its all I can handle and my only source of nutrition.
I love that the ingredients are plant based and organic! My husband was started on this formula during his hospital stay. This product is a complete and balanced meal! I highly recommend any product Kate Farms offers, you will not be disappointed.
High Calorie Soups For Weight Gain
Written by Cely Cen He& reviewed/edited by Katie Dodd, MS, RDN, CSG, LD, FAND. Recipes developed by Emily Ball. Cely is an undergraduate student at Queens College in New York majoring in Nutrition and Dietetics. Emily is a graduate student at Mount Mary University completing her coordinated program in dietetics.
Soups are tasty, nutritious, and relatively simple to make. High calorie soups are a delicious and easy way to stop unintended weight loss. You can buy soups or make your own. There are so many options!
Chemo Friendly Soups And Stews
Our recipes are crafted with the cancer fighter and the most common side-effects in mind. Each one is hand crafted to overcome mouth sores, metallic tastes, nausea, and loss of appetite.
If you find this information helpful, we encourage you to please buy a copy of Cooking for Chemo and After! to help support Cooking for Chemo. There are even more recipes, more helpful articles, and interactive learning guides inside of the book than we host on our website!
Also Check: Olive Garden Soup To Go Sizes
Nutrition For Patients With Esophageal Cancer
Patients with esophageal cancer are often not getting the nutrition they need and may become malnourished prior to starting treatment. Nutrition issues can be worse during treatment. Side effects can include loss or change in taste, esophagitis , xerostomia , fatigue, nausea, vomiting, and constipation. Managing side effects and treating nutrition problems early will help you feel better, improve your energy levels and heal faster after treatment.
You may need to change the texture of the food you eat. The dietitian will help find the type, amount, temperature, and texture of foods that will work best during and after esophageal cancer treatment. For example, when you are on a full liquid diet, you may be able to progress to a pureed diet or if you are still having trouble meeting nutrition needs, you may be switched to a diet that includes nutritional supplements. Each diet is detailed below.
Easy Methods To Make High Calorie Soups
There are 4 issues to think about when making your personal excessive calorie soup:
- soup base
- and naturally the tools
There are thousands and thousands of recipes for making soup, and whereas there are slight variations, whats most essential is to switch if mandatory, to particular person style.
Also Check: Nutribullet Hot Soup Recipes
Which Foods Have A Lot Of Energy
Foods that are high fat tend to have the most calories. This means foods like butter, oil, cream, nuts and cheese.
Tips to get more calories
- Add butter or olive oil to soups, mashed and baked potatoes, sauces, cooked vegetables, rice.
- Add whipped cream or full-fat yogurt to desserts, puddings and fruit.
- Add cream to soups, sauces, custards, cereals. It can also be added to mashed potatoes and puréed vegetables.
- Add cheese to casseroles, potatoes, vegetables, omelettes, sandwiches.
- Sauté or fry foods if you can tolerate them.
- Add sauces or gravies to your food.
- Add ground almonds or other nuts to porridge, cereals or desserts.
- Add hummus, guacamole, nut butter or cream cheese to sandwiches or as a snack with crackers.
Nutritional Supplements Appropriate For Your Diet
If you are still unable to meet your nutrition needs, your dietitian may suggest adding oral nutrition supplements to your daily diet. There are a number of products, both prescribed and available over-the-counter in pharmacies/grocery stores, that can provide nutrition in a small amount of food or liquid. Popular supplements include protein powders that can be added to smoothies, milkshakes, some cooked items, and high calorie and high protein drinks such as Ensure® and Boost® products. Speak to your dietitian about what products are best for you. Some products advertised to be healthy supplements may contain a large quantity of sugar, which may not be appropriate for your needs.
Don’t Miss: Jeep Sellerz
Protein And Energy Supplements
These products are powders or liquids. They contain either energy or protein with a small amount of energy. You can add them to many different foods and drinks. They are not nutritionally balanced and not suitable as a meal replacement. But they are helpful to boost either energy or protein levels.
When taking these products, you should still eat and drink normally if possible. These products can be expensive, so your doctor should prescribe them if you need them.
Chicken Soup An Easy Diabetic Recipe And Good For Diet For Cancer Patients
Not only is this chicken soup for cancer patients but it is a healthy chicken soup recipe. This Chicken Soup is an easy diabetic recipe and that is the healthiest way to eat making it good for a diet for cancer patients. Even if you need calories, you want to get nutritious calories into your body. This is a high fiber soup because barely is a good grain to include in your soup. Nutritious and delicious I guess thats why chicken soup is the #1 comfort food.
Recommended Reading: Campbell Cheesy Chicken And Rice
About Boost Very High Calorie Supplement:
Boost Very High Calorie Nutritional shake is Boosts formula created to help those who need extra calories for weight gain or undernutrition. Each 8 ounce shake contains 530 nutrient-rich calories to give you plenty of energy. Every serving also contains 22 grams of high-quality protein to help maintain lean muscle mass.
Boost is a trusted brand with a variety of formulas for a variety of needs, and Boost Very High Calorie Nutritional Drink is Boosts highest calorie drink specially formulated to help gain or maintain weight.
This formula is Gluten-free, suitable for those with lactose intolerance, Kosher, and contains no artificial colors or sweeteners. Each serving contains 26 vitamins and minerals to help you reach your nutritional goals for the day, including Vitamins C and D, Zinc, Iron, and Selenium for Immune Support. It comes in delicious vanila flavor.
General Tips For Building Yourself Up
- Eat nutritious snacks and meals regularly during the day rather than 3 main meals eat every 3 hours / 4-6 times a day.
- Make the most of your appetite to eat nutritious, high-energy foods and drinks.
- Avoid diet or low-fat versions of food.
- Add fats and calories by using full-fat dairy products, oils and frying or roasting some foods.
- Ask your doctor or dietitian about build-up drinks.
- Try to plan ahead so you have the right foods at home.
It may seem strange to be told to eat more calories, but cancer and its treatment can put extra demands on your body. Eating a high-protein, high-energy diet can help you to maintain your energy, support your immune system, reduce the risk of complications such as infections and falls and help you recover from your treatment.
Recommended Reading: Rice And Onion Soup Mix
Key Benefits Of Boost Supplement:
- 530 calories per 8 ounce serving, Boosts highest calorie formula available to help give you plenty of energy.
- Is a great choice for those looking to maintain weight or gain weight in a healthy and nutritious way.
- This formula is Gluten-free, suitable for lactose intolerance, Kosher, and does not contain any artificial colors or sweeteners.
- Contains 22 grams of protein per bottle to help you maintain muscle mass and comes in delicious vanilla flavor.
- Offers 26 vitamins and minerals, including Vitamins C and D, Zinc, Iron, and Selenium for Immune Support.
Which Foods Have A Lot Of Protein
Meat and fish, eggs, dairy products like milk, cheese and yogurt, tofu, nuts and pulses are good sources of protein.
Tips to get more protein
Try to eat protein food at every meal, spread over the day, rather than only at one meal.
- Eat more hard and soft cheeses. Add them to food where possible.
- Use full-fat milk as a nutritious drink. Use it to also make smoothies and in cooking whenever possible.
- Add high-protein milk or yogurt to drinks, fruit and cereals.
- Add chopped hard-boiled eggs to salads, vegetables, casseroles. Avoid raw eggs.
- Add nuts, seeds and wheat-germ to your food. Add to casseroles, salads, breads, biscuits.
- Add chopped meat or fish to vegetables, salads, casseroles, soups, baked potatoes.
- Add hummus to sandwiches and salads or have with crackers.
- Eat more beans, lentils and peas. Add to soups and casseroles.
Also Check: No Salt Cream Of Mushroom Soup
Tips To Make Eating Easier For Head And Neck Cancer Patients Specifically:
- Dry mouth? drink plenty of fluids. Choose moist, soft foods. Limit spicy or hot foods. Cut food into small pieces and mix with sauces and gravies.
- Sore mouth & throat? Avoid dry, crunchy, citrus, spicy or salty foods. Eat luke warm or cool foods. Use sauces and gravies or milk to moisten foods.
- Food tastes different? Use plastic utensils for metallic tastes. Rinse your mouth with alcohol free mouthwash or a baking soda and salt water mix before each meal. If foods taste salty add sugar. If foods taste sweet add salt.
- Difficulty chewing? Choose soft foods. Cut foods into small pieces or puree foods with gravies or sauces. Drink protein rich smoothies and shakes.
U-M Rogel Cancer Center patients: if you are losing weight or have additional questions, the Registered Dietitians at the University of Michigan Rogel Cancer Center can help you. Talk with your physician to request a referral and call 1-877-907-0859 to make an appointment.
Get more nutrition tips and advice from U-M Cancer Nutrition Services
Cancer And Weight Loss
Eating or drinking more calories gives you the energy to help you regain the weight you have lost. Extra energy is helpful if you have higher nutritional needs due to cancer treatment.
Protein is essential for growth and repair of tissues and the immune function. Eating or drinking more protein will also help you to put on weight.
You might find it difficult to eat or drink a diet high in calories and protein. Some of the suggestions for a diet high in calories and protein may seem to go against healthy eating messages. This is because healthy eating advice aims to help with the weight gain problem of the general population. For most people with cancer, the need for high energy and protein will only be temporary. You can return to a lower energy diet once your appetite and weight have recovered.
You will also feel better and have more energy if you can get back to a healthy weight for your height and build.
Manage Cancer Treatment Side Effects
Helping Manage the Side Effects of Cancer Therapy
Improving the Patient ExperienceMany of us have watched loved ones go through the challenges of being treated for cancer. You may have concerns about the potential side effects caused by the treatment. Fortunately, there are many new advancements in supportive care that can manage or even reduce some of these side effects that can impact normal GI function.
Cancer and the treatment for cancer can damage the GI system, causing side effects to occur. GI side effects are the most common of all the physical side effects impacting your quality of life and may lead to a dose reduction or even discontinuation in treatment.
enterade® is a glucose free, amino acid-based medical food. It is lightly sweetened with stevia leaf extract and natural flavors. As a medical food, enterade® is intended for the management of GI function related side effects of cancer therapy. The select amino acids and electrolytes in enterade® provide the nutrients needed to rebuild and protect the GI tract and deliver total body hydration.
Why do You Sometimes Feel Sick During Cancer Treatment?
Supportive Patient Care
Depending on a variety of factors, you may be more at risk for developing symptoms or side effects. The severity and incidence of GI side effects from receiving treatment for cancer are affected by many factors including:
The Importance of Staying on Treatment
Foods To Avoid With Cancer
When on a soft diet, it can be helpful to stay away from foods that are hard to chew or swallow. These can include:
- Hard starches like crusty bread or hard cereal
- Raw, crunchy fruits and vegetables like celery, carrots and apples
- Dried, tough, or chunks of meat like beef jerky or casseroles with large pieces of meat
- Peanut or almond butter or other sticky or stringy foods which can be hard to swallow
Important: Make sure to always talk to your doctor before changing your diet and/or water intake. He or she will be able to offer guidance that suits your specific health needs.
Tip: To help coordinate tasks like meal sign up, picking up meds, and more, the CaringBridge Planner is an all-inclusive scheduling tool to help you request and receive support with everyday tasks. Its all there, with a time and place for each task and space for anyone who wants to help.
Read Also: Chilis Endless Soup And Salad
Roasted Purple Pepper And Tomato Soup With Tacky Croutons
This recipe is ideal for a chilly day. You may add extra cheese to the highest for extra energy.
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
Tips To Get More Protein And Calories:
- Switch from skim milk to whole milk, if youre struggling with weight loss
- Melt cheese on sandwiches, stir it into scrambled eggs or grate on top of soups, starches or meats
- Add cottage or ricotta cheese to fruits and vegetables, egg dishes or desserts
- Get an extra boost by mixing powdered milk into milkshakes and smoothies
- Spread peanut butter and other nutbased spreads on sandwiches, toast and vegetables or swirl them into shakes, smoothies, yogurt and soft ice cream
- Sprinkle nuts over cereal, salads, vegetables, pancakes or fruit as a crunchy topping
- Add chopped meat to salads, omelets and quiches
- Eat more beans and tofu. Hummus is high in protein and can be spread on breads and vegetables
- Use whole wheat pastas — and add cream sauces
- Mix legumes, lentils and beans into chicken or beef broth
- Cook vegetables and meats in olive oil
- Turn fruit into smoothies or sauces, such as apple sauce
Also consider drinking nutritional supplements, like Boost or Ensure. Several brands and flavors are available. They can be mixed with fruits, ice cream and syrups to make milkshakes. Generic versions are available and can be less expensive. Boost Very High Calorie, an ultra-high calorie supplement, is available in the U-M Rogel Cancer Center pharmacy.
You May Like: Egg Drop Soup Mix Walmart
Buying High Calorie Soups
The benefits of buying high calorie soups stems from factors such as convenience, time saving, long shelf stability, and its price. Soups are commonly sold in cans or dry packaged mixes. The main concern is the nutrient content such as the high sodium and fat listed in the Nutrition Facts Label.
Commercial soups are relatively versatile. You can add extra ingredients at to make them even more delicious or higher in calories. In selecting any high calorie soups, it is important to examine and understand the Food Label to make an informed decision.
Cancer Cookbook With Focus On Foods For Cancer Patients And Family
Why is this book different? What you eat during cancer treatment can make a difference! When you are going through chemo, this chicken and barley soup will give you good nourishment. However, as you experience different side effects, you need different food. The Chicken Parmesanrecipe will give you strength you need. Also, important is the caregiver and recipes for caregivers to make. Eating Well Through Cancer: Easy Recipes & Tips to Guide you Through Treatment and Cancer Preventionhas helped so many people during a challenging time.
You May Like: Campbells Chicken Casserole Recipes Easy