Condensed Cream Of Soup Substitute From Scratch:
Most recipes for hash brown casserole call for a can of condensed cream of chicken, celery or cheddar soup. Since I dont use these in my kitchen, I found a way to make a creamy mixture with half and half and cornstarch as a perfect substitute. It takes only 5 to 7 minutes to cook it in a saucepan.
- First, saute garlic and onion in butter.
- Add half and half whisked with cornstarch, salt and pepper. I also add dill because I just love dill in potato dishes.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until thick and creamy.
- At this point, you can place cooled mixture in a jar, cover and refrigerate until you are ready to use it.
Cheesy Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole
This sweet and salty casserole is one of my very favorite things to make and eat especially around the holidays! Ive been whipping it up on a semi-regular basis for years, and it never gets old. You can serve it for breakfast, as a side dish, as a snack or even as a light lunch.
The combination of flavors is magical, from the cheese, potatoes, sour cream and onion in the hashbrowns to the buttery cornflakes on top. You have the option of using regular, unsweetened cornflakes if youd prefer to leave out the sweetness. But Im a huge fan of that sweet and salty combo, so I like to use Frosted Flakes. The result is utter perfection!
The Hashbrowns Thats Why
I love Cracker Barrel but the truth is I only show up for the hashbrown casserole. Thats it. Just the hashbrowns people.
My friend shared her version of that yummy, oh so creamy and cheesy easy Hashbrown Casserole with me and WOW! Tender shredded hash browns in a rich and creamy cheese sauce, topped with more cheese and baked until hot and bubbly!
This is a perfect breakfast casserole for any holiday morning or just when youre getting the family together for a delicious breakfast or brunch. It also makes a perfect side dish for Crispy Oven Parmesan Chicken or even served alongside a Ranch 7 Layer Salad for lunch!
Jill’s Hash Brown Casserole
Perfect as a side dish for brunch or dinner, this creamy and crunchy hash brown casserole always fits the bill.
Provided by Campbell’s Kitchen
|1 can Campbell’s® Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
|1 container sour cream
|½ cup butter or margarine, melted
|1 package frozen hash-brown potatoes
|1 medium onion, chopped
|1 package shredded Cheddar cheese
|1 pinch Ground black pepper
|½ cup crushed corn flakes
- Mix soup, sour cream, butter, potatoes, onion, cheese and black pepper to taste in 3-quart shallow baking dish. Sprinkle corn flakes over potato mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes or until hot.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 409.1 calories, Carbohydrate 27.3 g, Cholesterol 73.9 mg, Fat 35.6 g, Fiber 2.6 g, Protein 10.9 g, SaturatedFat 20.1 g, Sodium 587.2 mg, Sugar 1.3 g
How To Make Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole
Recommended Reading: Annie’s Organic Chicken Noodle Soup
How Do You Thaw Frozen Hash Browns
You can thaw hash brownsthree ways:
- Microwave the quickest way to prep your hash browns: Remove the hash browns from the package and place them in a large microwave safe bowl. Microwave using the defrost setting for 4-5 minutes OR until completely thawed, stirring half way through. Drain any excess moisture.
- Fridge the most even way to prep your hash browns: Place the bag in the refrigerator to defrost for two days. If your hash brown arent completely defrosted by the time youre ready to use them, finish in the microwave. Drain any excess moisture.
- Counter the easiest way to prep your hash browns: Place the bag on your counter and let defrost for 1-2 hours. Drain any excess moisture.
What Should I Serve With Hash Brown Casserole Recipe
This cheesy Hashbrown Casserole is always a huge hit and pairs fabulously well not only with ham, but practically everything! Think potato side, and think this casserole! Since this Hash Brown Casserole recipe is a holiday worthy side, here are some holiday worthy main dishes, but it pairs just as well with everyday fair such as Lemon Pepper Chicken or Honey Mustard Chicken.
Recommended Reading: Potato Soup With Frozen Hash Browns
How To Make Hash Browns
- Shred the potatoes .
- Immediately transfer shredded potatoes to a large bowl of cold water so they are completely submerged.
- Let them soak for about 5 minutes. Soaking the potatoes helps to remove some of the excess starch which results in drier potatoes.
- Remove the potatoes from the water onto a clean tea towel, fold up and squeeze out any excess water, changing towels if needed make sure they are super dry! Drying out the potatoes will ensure they dont make the casserole soggy and will also help them not stick together.
At this point, you can proceed to use the potatoes in the Hash Brown Casserole or you can freeze them for later. To freeze:
- Transfer dried potatoes to two cookie sheets and spread into athin, even layer.
- Freeze until solid, about 12 hours.
- Transfer frozen potatoes to a large freezer bag.
- Label and freeze for up to 3 months.
How To Make Hashbrown Casserole:
Remember how I just mentioned that the ingredients were simple? Well you truly havent even seen simple yet until you see how easy it is to prepare this dish.
Hashbrown casserole is one of the easiest dishes you can make. Seriously Friends it doesnt get much easier than this.
So pay attention or you might just miss these quick instructions.
- Combine Ingredients: Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- Transfer into Greased Baking Dish: Spoon ingredients into baking dish.
- Bake: Bake uncovered in preheated oven for 35 minutes.
- Garnish and Serve: Garnish with fresh chives or parsley and serve.
Doesnt get much more simple than that.
Note: See recipe at the end for more detailed instructions.
Don’t Miss: Red Potatoes With Onion Soup Mix
How To Make Hash Brown Casserole From Scratch
This is hash brown casserole without soup, without sour cream, and I am going to ask you to go a little extra distance and grate your own cheese to make sure it is as supremely creamy as possible.
You better believe we are making this crispy hash brown casserole with corn flakes on top, however. That topping is one of the best parts!
How Do You Make Hash Brown Casserole From Scratch
This HashBrown Casserole recipe is easy to make without any chopping! Heres how withstep by step photos and instructions:
Step 1 Make Sauce: Melt butter in a very large skillet or Dutchover medium heat . Whisk in flour then cook,while stirring for 2 minutes. Turn heat to low then gradually whisk in milk and1 ½ cups chicken broth. Whisk cornstarch with remaining chicken broth and addto skillet followed by Dijon, Worcestershire sauce, chicken bouillon and allspices/seasonings.
Step 2 Thicken Sauce: Bring sauce to a simmer, whisking constantly,until thickened.
Step 3 Add Cheese: Remove from heat and whisk in cheddar untilmelted followed by Gruyere cheese until melted. Whisk in sour cream until blended.
Step 4 Add Hash Browns: Stir in defrosted hash browns untilcompletely combined.
Step 5 Transfer to Dish: Transfer hash browns to prepared baking pan and spread into an even layer. Evenly top with 1 cup shredded cheddar. Combine Ritz with melted butter and stir with a spatula until evenly coated. Sprinkle evenly over cheese.
Step 6 Bake: Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 40minutes, uncover and bake an addition 15 minutes or until hot and bubbly andcheese is melted. Turn oven to broil and broil until topping is golden.
You May Like: Campbell Soup Chicken And Rice Bake
Hash Brown Casserole For Breakfast
This hash brown casserole recipe is PERFECT for breakfast! Its delicious, creamy, savory, and so filling. Its a hash brown casserole with corn flakes, whats not to love about that?!
Youll especially love how easy it is to reheat in the morning, too. The last thing you want it to turn an oven on at 7 am, right? You can make this the night before, refrigerate, and easily reheat come morning.
Youll finish the morning satisfied everyone had a filling breakfast the perfect start to a great day!
Easy Hash Brown Casserole Recipe Variations
This easy Hashbrown Casseroleis SO good as-is but it also makes an excellent springboard for all sorts ofadd-ins such as protein or veggies. Here are just a few ideas:
- Add protein: you can make this Hash Brown Casserole recipe the main course by adding 1 ½ cups cooked sausage, ground beef, ground turkey, chorizo, cubed ham, crumbled bacon or diced chicken.
- Veggies: you can add about 1 ½ cup any pre-cooked veggies such as bell peppers, peas, corn, broccoli, asparagus, zucchini, carrots, mushroom etc.
- Cheeses: you can mix up the cheeses with any other favorite melting cheeses to create a different flavor profile: mozzarella, Asiago, Gouda, smoked cheddar, Monterrey, Pepper Jack, Havarti, Colby etc.
- Add ins: jalapenos, pickled jalapenos, artichokes, green chiles, pimientos, olives, roasted bell peppers, etc. add a fun variety.
- Seasonings: you can swap the seasonings out for Mexican spices or Cajun spices to mix things up. If going Mexican, consider adding green chilies, jalapenos and chorizo.
- Make it gluten-free: to make this Hash Brown Casserole recipe gluten free, use your favorite gluten free flour.
Don’t Miss: Knorr Vegetable Soup Mix Meatloaf
How To Make Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole
One of the best things about hashbrown casserole is that its super quick to prepare . I literally cannot stop eating it dinner, bedtime snack and then breakfast if there is any left!
Its that easy! If youd like you can add leftover chicken, ham or ground beef to this easy recipe. Stir in your favorite veggies as well, Steamed Broccoli, peas or frozen veggies work well too!
Hash Brown Potato Casserole
Hash Brown Potato Casserole is a fabulous potatocasserole recipe. It has lots of hash browns in a creamy sauce of cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, and rich cheddar cheese, then sprinkled with sour cream and onion potato chips to give it a little more zip. Its amazing with the luscious interplay of flavors. Its also fairly quick and easy to make too. Its one of our favorite holiday side dishes.
One holiday my daughter-in-law brought this casserole for dinner and it is a keeper! Im not claiming this is low in caloriesits rather more of a comfort foodbut it sure is delicious. While I received this recipe from my daughter-in-law, it is all over the Internet in many versions. Perhaps this is a recipe from Ore-Ida Potatoes, but I really have no idea who created the recipe. This is the version we like.
When I first posted this recipe in June of 2012, and then reposted the pictures in November 2013, my camera is just a cheap iPhone quality so the pictures were blurry, grainy, not properly positioned or presented, and dark and dreary. Pretty bad, huh?
Its amazing this recipe had any pins, yet it did. I recently remade this recipe for a Christmas party , and redid the pictures which depict this casserole in a much better light. ha, ha!
If youre looking for a fantastic potato casserole recipe, then give my Hash Brown Potato Casserole a try. Its great for company dinners or holiday menus.
Hash Brown Potato Casserole is a fabulous holiday side dish.
Heres what I did.
Recommended Reading: Campbells Soup Chicken And Rice Bake
This Easy Hashbrown Casserole Recipe Is The Perfect Addition Of Breakfast Or Brunch Its Easy And Cheesy And Great For A Large Gathering Whether It Be A Special Occasion Like Christmas Morning Or For A Shower
If there was ever a recipe that represented my childhood it would be this cheesy hashbrown casserole. My mom would usually only make it for breakfast on holidays like Christmas or Easter morning. As an adult its my go to when I get invited someplace for a potluck brunch or even a baby or bridal shower brunch.
It is the ultimate comfort food that I find myself craving throughout the year. Now I do make it slightly different than my mom. I leave out the cornflake topping and add in some veggies like peppers and onions.
This recipe reminds me a lot of the Cracker Barrels hashbrown casserole only theres uses shredded hashbrowns.
What If You Dont Want To Use Canned Soup
Make your own cream of mushroom, cream of chicken, or cream of celery soup instead of canned if you want. It adds another step, but it gives you control of what ingredients are in the soup, so I get it if thats what you want to do.
You can use cream instead of sour cream.
I prefer sour cream and the zing of flavor it provides to the dish, but in a pinch you could use heavy cream instead.
Recommended Reading: Potato Soup With Frozen Hash Browns
Easy Hash Brown Casserole
Now, whats even better than a delicious hash brown casserole for breakfast? An EASY hash brown casserole recipe, of course! Simply mix the ingredients together, add the topping, and bake. Its that easy!!
While it takes a while to bake in the oven, its easily something you can put together at the end of the night and have ready to go come morning. In fact, prep time for this recipe is only 5 minutes!
Lets get to this delicious cheesy hash brown casserole recipe now, shall we?
What Is Hashbrown Casserole
Did you grow up on cheesy Hashbrown Casserole? It was always the one dish I had to have at Christmas and Easter because its creamy, cheesy, dreamy and 100% addicting, and of course, it pairs exceptionally well with ham. I was always hoping for leftovers for breakfast, lunch and dinner as well three scoops were never enough.
If you arent familiar with Hashbrown Casserole, you might know it as funeral potatoes, cheesy hash browns, party potatoes, Christmas potatoes, Ward party potatoes or simply potato casserole. It is a traditional potato casserole in a rich and creamy cheese sauce, topped with more cheese and baked until hot and bubbly.
Hashbrown Casserole became extremely popular in America in the 1950s, the era of cream of soups and casseroles galore. The first Hash Brown Casserole recipes were made by combining frozen hash browns, condensed cream of chicken soup, mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese, and cheddar cheese together, spreading in a baking dish, topping with more cheese followed by corn flakes, crushed potato chips or crushed Ritz crackers.
Don’t Miss: Lipton Onion Soup Roast Beef Recipe
How To Make Cheese And Hashbrown Hamburger Casserole
Ingredients You Need
- 4 Cups Frozen Hashbrowns, shredded or cubed
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1 1/2 Cups Shredded Cheese
- Salt and Pepper
Directions for making Hamburger Hashbrown Casserole
Step 1 Heat the Olive oil in a skillet
Step 2 Add the onion to the oil and cook until they are translucent
Step 3 Add the ground beef to the onion and brown completely
Step 4 Mix the hashbrowns, cream of mushroom soup, milk and 1 cup of shredded cheese into the ground beef and mix together
Step 5 Place the mixture into a baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes
Step 6 Add the last 1/2 cup of shredded cheese to the top of the casserole for the last 10 minutes of baking. Enjoy!
You could easily have green beans, corn or other veggies to this dish to give it even more flavor.
Grandma’s Hash Brown Casserole
This recipe is a friend’s grandma’s recipe and is absolutely the best hash brown casserole I’ve ever had. Kentucky grandmas sure know how to cook!
Provided by missbutterbean
|1 package frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
|1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
|2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
|1 container sour cream
|½ cup melted butter
|½ teaspoon ground black pepper
|1 cup crushed cornflakes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F .
- Mix hash browns, cream of chicken soup, Cheddar cheese, sour cream, butter, onion, salt, and pepper together in a bowl. Arrange in a 9×13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle on top. Drizzle butter over the cornflakes.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the sauce is bubbly and the top is golden brown, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 337.6 calories, Carbohydrate 16.8 g, Cholesterol 70.8 mg, Fat 31.6 g, Fiber 1.2 g, Protein 7.6 g, SaturatedFat 18.4 g, Sodium 523.3 mg, Sugar 0.6 g
Read Also: Betty Crocker Chicken Rice Casserole
Can This Hash Brown Casserole Be Made Ahead Of Time
Yes, absolutely! You can make this the night before and refrigerate once it has cooled and wrap it in foil. Then you can reheat in the morning when everyone is ready to eat.
If youd like to freeze this hash brown casserole, you can do so by first baking and allowing it to cool. Then, wrap in a few layers of foil and freeze for up to 2 months.