Cheesy Broccoli Soup Recipe
- 5tablespoonsunsalted butterdivided
- 1medium sweet yellow oniondiced
- 2cupslow-sodium vegetable stock
- 2 to 3cupsbroccoli floretscut into bite-sized pieces
- 1cupbroccoli stemsoptional
- 2large carrotspeeled and sliced into very thin rounds
- salt and freshly ground black pepperto taste
- dry mustard powderto taste, optional
- 8ouncesgrated sharp cheddar cheeseleave some for garnish
How To Make Broccoli Cheese Soup
This broccoli cheese soup is made without Velveeta and instead is loaded with lots of real cheddar making it rich, velvety and satisfying!
Vegan Broccoli Soup Recipe Tips
- Top it with something crunchy. Whenever Im making creamy soup, I love to top it with crunchy garnishes for textural contrast. While the soup simmers, roast the last of the broccoli florets and make a batch of quick homemade croutons. These crispy toppings will take your vegan broccoli soup to a whole new level!
- Dont blend the broccoli too much. You dont want this soup to become a smooth puree it should have some texture. Blend the potatoes, celery, onions, broccoli stalk, and carrots until theyre completely smooth, but just pulse in the steamed florets. They add lovely green flecks and texture to the soup.
- Dont skip the dill! Even if dill isnt your thing, I urge you to try it in this recipe. Its essential for mimicking the rich, complex flavor of sharp cheddar cheese. If you want to skip it, I recommend blending in a few tablespoons of nutritional yeast to make the soup taste more cheesy.
Read Also: Vegan Cream Of Potato Soup
How To Make Cheesy Broccoli Soup
- In a small saucepan, add 1 tablespoon of butter and the diced onion. Sauté and stir occasionally over medium heat for about 4 minutes, until the onion is translucent and just beginning to brown.
- Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds, stirring constantly so it doesnt burn. Remove the saucepan from the heat and set aside.
- In a large heavy-bottom pot, add 4 tablespoons of butter and flour. Cook over medium heat for about 3 to 5 minutes, whisking constantly until the flour has thickened.
- Slowly add the vegetable stock, whisking constantly. Do the same with the half-and-half.
- Allow the mixture to simmer over low heat for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until it has reduced and slightly thickened. Whisk occasionally to stir the skin that forms on the surface back into the mixture.
- After simmering for 15 to 20 minutes, add the broccoli, carrots, and the onion and garlic you prepared earlier.
- Add the salt, pepper, optional paprika, optional cayenne, and optional dry mustard powder. Stir to combine.
- Allow the soup to simmer over low heat for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until it has reduced and become thicker. Whisk occasionally.
- After simmering for about 20 to 25 minutes, add most of the shredded cheese and stir for about 1 minute, or until the cheese has melted. Reserve some of the shredded cheese to sprinkle onto each serving.
- Transfer the soup to bowls, top with shredded cheese, and serve.
What Cheeses Melt Best
follow the below tips to make Asian sauces, such as Cheggon, cheddar cheese, colby cheese, fontina cheese, Gouda cheese, Gruyre cheese, Havarti cheese, Monterey jack cheese and Muenster cheese, you are guaranteed a smooth sauce. A rind-less blue cheese or soft cheese, such as Camembert or Brie, will still melt very well.
You May Like: Chicken Casserole With Cream Of Chicken Soup
What You Need For Creamy Broccoli Soup
Heres all you need:
butter, garlic and onion flavour base
chicken or vegetable broth/stock + water for simmering / soup broth
cheese & cream for finishing
Cream is optional! Does it make it tastier? Of course it does! Anyone who tells you otherwise is outright lying. It adds a layer of richness that you dont get if you skip it or use milk instead.
But I make it without cream most of the time because cream isnt part of my standard weekly shop. Still delicious, still creamy, still cheesy just better for your waistline!
How To Make It
And heres how to make it. A quick saute of garlic and onion to create the flavour base, then tip everything else in a simmer away: chicken or vegetable stock/broth, water, broccoli and potato.
When the broccoli is very tender blitz away until it all purees into a thick, creamy soup. Then stir in the cream and cheese and serve.
The hit of cheddar cheese in this broccoli soup adds flavour and an element of tasty naughtiness into an otherwise very healthy soup.
I stir most in the soup but I like to reserve bit to sprinkle on top. Because by the time the soup gets to the table, that extra cheese starts to ooze so when you dunk the bread into it, it looks like this..
There really is something about dunking crusty bread into thick and creamy soups, isnt there??? Luckily, I have a decent selection of soup dunkers around these parts!!
Dont Miss: Williams Sonoma Soup Bowl With Handle
You May Like: Gluten Free Vegetable Soup Mix
How Can You Make Copycat Panera Broccoli Cheddar Soup Your Own
There are a few easy ways you can adjust this copycat recipe to customize it to your tastes:
- Make it gluten-free by using cornstarch in place of the flour. Of course, dont forget to skip the bread bowl as well.
- Add some heat with red pepper flakes.
- Make it thinner or thicker by using milk or heavy cream instead of the half-and-half.
- Swap in cauliflower for the broccoli. This will change the flavor of your soup, of coursebut if you love cauliflower, you may find you like this even better than the broccoli.
This Simple Creamy Broccoli And Cheddar Soup Recipe Is Easy To Make And Filled With Delicious Cheese Broccoli Carrots And Cream Perfectly Hearty And Comforting And Ready To Enjoy In Around 30 Minutes
-My Dominican Kitchen
2 tablespoons butter ½ cup white onion , chopped 2 cloves garlic , minced 1 large carrot , pilled and cubed 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour 3 cups chicken stock 1 cup cream 1 cup milk 4 cups fresh broccoli , chopped 1 teaspoon salt ½ teaspoon ground black pepper ¼ teaspoon nutmeg 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese , freshly-grated
You May Like: Gluten Free French Onion Soup Canned
Read Also: How To Cook Campbell’s Chicken Noodle Soup
Watch How To Make Broccoli Cheese Soup
Perhaps the coolest feature of this soup is that it makes use of the broccoli stems that we usually toss. Less waste, more nutrients, cant lose.
In fact, I feel good after I eat this soup, similar to how I feel after enjoying a big kale salad. Cruciferous veggies work miracles, I tell you, and did you know that broccoli contains loads of vitamin C? We could all use some extra right now.
How To Make Broccoli Soup:
1. To a large pot add your olive oil and heat on medium-high heat for 1 minute before adding onions. Cook the onions for 7 minutes or until translucent. Into the pot add your garlic and potatoes. Cook them for 5 minutes while stirring often to avoid burning. Scrape any brown bits that develop at the base of the pot with a wooden spoon. Add your broccoli and cook for around 15 minutes, with lid on, on medium-low heat.
2. Go ahead and add your green kale and cook for 2 minutes.
3. Increase heat to high and add your vegetable stock, salt and pepper. Bring soup to a boil then simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender.
4. Once potatoes are tender and the milk and stir till well combined. Remove soup from heat and blend in a high-speed blender till smooth and creamy. You can also enjoy chunky or blended half and half, the choice is yours.
5. Return the blended soup to the pot and stir in your cheese of choice. Stir till melted and till perfectly silky! Test for seasoning before serving. If the soup is too thick or rich, just add more vegetable stock and stir till well combined and heat till hot throughout.
6. Serve with fresh garlic bread and top with cracked pepper and a small drizzling of olive oil!
7. Before plating check for seasoning. To serve, scoop and top with chickpeas, fresh cilantro and a drizzling of olive oil.
Also Check: Taco Soup Hidden Valley Ranch
Make It A Bit More Luxurious
This Easy Broccoli Soup is a lovely and healthy meal.
But that doesnt mean you cant make it a bit more luxurious if you want to! Instead of using semi-skimmed milk, you can use whole milk. This would add an extra creaminess to the soup.
A lovely way to finish this soup is to add a drizzle of double cream. You only need a small amount but it finishes off the soup nicely!
How To Make Broccoli Cheddar Soup
A few Broccoli Cheese Soup recipes have so little broccoli you need some sort of magnifying equipment to find it. NOT THIS ONE!
- Start by frying onions and garlic in melted butterthis is where the flavour starts.
- Whisk in flourthis is where the consistency comes in.
- Add in your seasoningsthis is where FLAVOUR PART TWO continues.
- Follow with an abundance of broccoli and carrots, then cheese THIS IS WHERE THIS BROCCOLI CHEESE SOUP IS ONE OF THE BEST YOULL TRY!
- Get your bread rolls ready and DIP!
Recommended Reading: Publix Hearty Beef Vegetable Soup
How To Make Paneras Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Met the 1/4 cup butter and sautee the onions in it until soft. Sprinkle the flour over the mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat for 1-2 minutes.
Whisk in the half & half and chicken stock.
Add the broccoli and carrots. Cook over low heat for 20-25 minutes or until the broccoli and carrots are tender.
Add salt and pepper. You can leave the soup chunky or blend about 1 cup of the soup and stir it in for a smoother soup . Return to low heat and add the cheese. If your heat is too high your soup can get grainy. Stir in the nutmeg if desired.
Tips For The Best Broccoli And Cheese Soup
Broccoli: I love broccoli and used plenty because I prefer big chunks of broccoli in every bite but you can use less.
I also used some stalks to make use of the entire head and not waste any, but you can use florets only if preferred. Even people who dont like broccoli should love broccoli when its bathed in a creamy, cheesy broth.
Spices: There are a few optional spices like smoked paprika, mustard powder, and cayenne pepper. Theyre not mandatory if you dont keep them on hand, but they do add extra depth of flavor, albeit subtle. The cayenne doesnt make the soup hot in the least, it makes it not taste boring.
Recipe prep: Read the recipe at least twice before beginning because while its a simple soup, there are a few fast-moving stages. While one thing is simmering, you need to be chopping for the next stage, while stirring the simmering pot intermittently between chopping.
Youll be rewarded with the best, creamiest, richest, and most amazing soup.
You May Like: Is Tom Kha Soup Keto
You May Like: Chicken Soup For The Soul Puppy Food
Can You Freeze Broccoli Cheddar Soup
To refrigerate:Place any leftover soup in airtight containers and refrigerate for up to 3-4 days. Reheat on the stove-top over medium-low heat.
To freeze: Place in freezer-safe zip bags and freeze flat or in freezer-safe containers. To reheat, thaw completely then warm on low heat to prevent curdling.
Read Also: Gluten Free Soups At Walmart
Vegan Broccoli Soup Recipe Ingredients
Tasting this vegan broccoli soup, youd never guess that its made without cheese or cream. Its creamy texture and rich taste come from these plant-based ingredients:
- Broccoli, of course! I get tons of requests for recipes that use a whole bunch of broccoli, so here, I do stalk and all! I blend the stalk into the soups creamy base and pulse in the florets for texture. If youre looking for more whole-vegetable recipes, try making a broccoli salad or cauliflower rice next. Waste not, want not!
- Cashews and potatoes This combination is a great one for giving vegan recipes a gooey cheesy texture. Like in my vegan cheese recipe, it makes this soup rich and creamy.
- Carrots For cheesy color.
- Celery, onion, and garlic They add savory depth of flavor.
- Apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, and lemon juice For tang.
- Fresh dill Its the secret ingredient that ties this soup together! It helps give it a delicious cheesy flavor without an ounce of cheese.
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
To make this recipe, start by sautéing the onion, carrots, celery, and broccoli stems until they soften. Stir in the potatoes and garlic. Then, add the broth and simmer!
Meanwhile, steam all but 1 cup of the broccoli florets until theyre tender, but still bright green.
Also Check: How To Make Pho Soup
Why Is My Broccoli Cheddar Soup Runny
Im having trouble judging broccoli seasoning. Why is it so broccoli cheese SOUP GRAINY OR CURDLED? It is possible for this to happen due to high temperatures. Cheese is generally made of amino acid, which tightens and expels fat from it. With that grainy consistency, there is a sense that it has curdled.
Also Check: Campbells Tomato Basil Soup Recipe
Is Broccoli And Cheese Healthy
You should make this a side dish!! Its important to note that broccoli has fiber and Vitamin C, which is essential for balanced brain and body health. One cup of raw broccoli is nearly as spicy. It gives you 3 grams of fiber and you get 140% of your regular vitamin dose . Moderate cheese can be found in this variety.
Read Also: Campbell Soup Company Charlotte Nc
I Am A Fussy Soup Eater
Soup has for many years been something I have been incredibly fussy about. I had a bad experience with some Heinz tomato soup when I was a lot younger and it has stuck with me.
I dont eat soup in restaurants and I have only found one bought soup that I liked which was Covent Garden chicken soup but then to my disappointment they changed the recipe.
This means that if I want to eat soup, I make it myself.
Is Cheese And Broccoli Soup Healthy
Are broccoli soups eal good for you? Cheese soup tends to be a bad option for most people because many of the ingredients are heavy and pungent. skim milk that is evaporated rather than blended there are fewer cheeses in this version. The soup has also incorporated some carrots that are blended into it for added creaminess.
You May Like: What Fast Food Has Soup
A Little Different To The Usual
Youll find many creamy broccoli soups are made with a roux, being melted butter mixed with flour which thickens the soup, then broccoli pieces are tossed in and cooked in that thickened soup.
I prefer making broccoli soup by cooking the broccoli until soft then blitzing it up to make a naturally thick and creamy soup. This way you actually get lovely broccoli flavour in the soup, rather than a generic creamy broth with bits of broccoli in it. Bonus is that its healthier!
How Do You Reheat Soup
To Reheat In Your Microwave: Cover loosely with a microwave safe lid and microwave on high heat setting for 2-3 minutes, or until hot. Stir halfway through heating time.
For Stove Top: Pour soup into a pot or sauce pan. Heat, while stirring occasionally being careful not to bring to a rapid oil, until hot.
Also Check: Gluten Free Condensed Tomato Soup
Which Kind Of Broccoli Is Best To Use
Up until recently, I had always used fresh broccoli to make this Easy Broccoli Soup.
As you may know I am a little obsessed with Tenderstem broccoli. So when I saw you could buy it frozen I jumped at the chance of stocking up.
I made my Roasted Parmesan Tenderstem Broccoli with it and was seriously disappointed. It didnt taste the same as the fresh broccoli at all!
I wanted to make this, but only had the frozen Tenderstem broccoli. I gave it a go and it worked fantastically! It tasted just as good as using fresh broccoli.
So fresh or frozen, whatever you have will make a delicious soup!
Minute Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Healthy broccoli cheddar soup packed with carrots, broccoli, garlic, and cheese. This creamy velvety soup is much better than Paneras broccoli cheddar soup and can be made in under 30 minutes for a fraction of the price! Soup is an essential winter meal and when it comes to picking our absolute favorite soup, this cheddar broccoli soup has earned the #1 spot. Its a favorite of kids because of its creamy texture and cheesy flavor, and loved by parents because its secretly loaded with a ton of nutritious veggies.
If youve ever had Paneras broccoli cheddar soup then you will LOVE this soup. Its almost a copycat version of it except with much more flavor and texture.
The soup is made with an almost caramelized onion and garlic-based and thickened with a roux then simmered with veggie stock, broccoli, and carrots. At the very end, half & half and freshly grated cheddar cheese are added to give it a velvety smooth texture.
The result is a deliciously rich, thick and creamy broccoli soup that is loaded with the comforting flavors of broccoli and cheddar.
You May Like: Lipton Onion Soup Roasted Potatoes