Do You Cook The Chicken And Rice Before Adding Them To The Soup
If you are making the soup from scratch, no. The rice and chicken cook right in the broth, and when they are almost cooked, the vegetables are added so they all become perfectly cooked at the same time. Cooking the rice and the chicken in the soup itself ensure that both the chicken and rice absorb extra flavor, and in turn the chicken enriches the broth as it cooks.
You can, however, use already cooked rice and chicken if you have it . If you want to use precooked rice, just reduce the broth by 2 cups or so, and add that and the precooked chicken, if using, for the last 10 minutes with the vegetables so everything has time to heat through.
Chicken and Rice Soup: Fragrant and comforting, warm and healing, this is the soup to make on a cold night or when someone needs a pick-me-up.
- 2teaspoonsfresh thymeor 1 teaspoon dried
Cream Of Chicken And Rice Soup Recipe
Please note: Posts may contain affiliate links or sponsored content.
This cream of chicken and rice soup is a great use of leftover chicken! It is full of vegetables and a secret ingredient that makes this soup rich and flavorful. When you are craving a delicious chicken soup, make this wonderful recipe.
What Kind Of Rice To Use In Chicken And Rice Soup
This is a very good question, with lots of answers. I used plain old white rice, which results in the most comforting, simple, accessible chicken and rice soup ever. But you can use arborio or other short grain rice, jasmine, texmati, or any other aromatic rice of your choosing. Wild rice would also be lovely.
If you want to use brown or wild rice, you might cook it first in a blend of half water and half chicken broth, since they take longer to cook than other varieties, and will absorb a lot of your soup liquid. If you add precooked rice to the soup, reduce the amount of broth to about 6 cups.
You May Like: Publix Chicken Noodle Soup
Instructions To Make Chicken And Rice Casserole Aka Leftovers:
Shredded, chopped, dark meat, light meat, anything goes. For this chicken and rice casserole I like to use use medium or long grain white rice. Using leftover chicken, and rice and beans to make it extra hearty, plus plenty of Southwestern flair it’ll soon become a family favorite! Chicken and Rice Casserole is a classic family favorite here in the United States. In this recipe we’ve stuck with a completely “from scratch” concept.
So thats going to wrap this up for this exceptional food chicken and rice casserole, aka leftovers recipe. Thanks so much for your time. I am sure you will make this at home. There is gonna be more interesting food at home recipes coming up. Dont forget to save this page on your browser, and share it to your family, colleague and friends. Thank you for reading. Go on get cooking!
How To Make Chicken And Rice Soup
- Brown chicken thighs in pot: Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Dab chicken thighs dry with paper towels, season both sides with salt.
- Add to pot and sear until browned on bottom, about 4 minutes. Turn and cook 2 minutes longer. Transfer to a plate.
- Saute vegetables: Return pot to medium-high heat . Add onion, carrots, and celery and saute 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute 1 minute longer.
- Mix in broth and seasonings: Pour in 7 cups chicken broth, add thyme, bay leaves and parmesan rind. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer then add rice: Bring mixture to a simmer then stir in rice, and return chicken thighs to pot.
- Cook chicken through, then chop: Reduce to low heat. Cover pot and let simmer until thighs are cooked through, about 8 minutes .
- Transfer thighs to a cutting board . Let rest 5 minutes then cut chicken into small pieces.
- Continue to cook soup: Meanwhile let soup continue to simmer, covered, until rice is tender, about 8 to 12 minutes longer.
- Stir in remaining ingredients: Remove soup from heat. Remove parmesan rind and bay leaves. Stir in chicken, parsley and lemon juice. Serve with shredded parmesan cheese to taste.
- Helpful tip: As soup rests, it will thicken. You can thin with remaining 1 cup chicken broth if desired.
Recommended Reading: Chicken Broth Aldi
Farmhouse Chicken And Rice Soup
Homemade Chicken and Rice Soup is a cozy farmhouse favorite! Made from scratch with tender chicken breasts, fresh vegetables and white rice, it’s a nourishing meal that will warm you from the inside out. Add biscuits, dinner rolls, or a crusty loaf of bread to complete the satisfying, easy dinner on a chilly day.
Can You Freeze Homemade Chicken And Rice Soup
If you’d like to prepare a batch of the soup in advance, I recommend making the soup as instructed, but do NOT add the rice. Cool the broth and refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month. When ready to serve, bring the soup to a simmer, add the rice, and serve.
Read Also: Pressure Cooker Pot Roast Onion Soup Mix
White Rice Substitutes And Cooking Times:
You really could use any rice you prefer in this soup, however whole grain rices will take longer to cook than white rices. If you intend to use a whole grain rice, make sure you test your rice before calling it done. With the longer cooking times, if the rice absorbs too much liquid for your liking, just add more chicken broth.
Brown Rice will need to cook for approximately 50-60 minutes.
Wild Rice will need to cook for approximately 40-45 minutes.
To Make Slow Cooker Chicken Rice Soup:
You will follow many of the same steps, but the cook time will be considerably longer:
- Add the veggies, broth, chicken and rice to the slow cooker and cook on low for 3-6 hours or until the rice is tender brown rice will cook considerably longer than white rice.
- Remove chicken and shred. Add back to the slow cooker with the evaporated milk.
You May Like: Onion Soup Mix Recipe Potatoes
How To Make This Recipe
Start by heating 1-1/2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add 2-3 medium-sized carrots that have been peeled then thinly sliced, and 1/2 chopped onion. Season with homemade gluten-free seasoned salt and pepper then place a lid on top and saute until the vegetables are very tender, 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Next add 8 cups gluten-free chicken broth then turn the heat up to high and bring to a boil.
Pour in 1 cup long grain white rice then stir to combine. Again, I like Lundberg Farms Jasmine Rice but you can use whatever you have on hand thats the beauty of this easy, fridge and pantry-staple soup supper! Just make sure its not a short grain rice like arborio or sushi rice. Next add 2 chopped chicken breasts that have been seasoned with seasoned salt and pepper then stir to combine
Turn the heat down to medium then simmer until the rice is tender, 15-20 minutes, then pop the lid back on top and let the soup rest off the heat for 5 minutes to ensure the rice is really soft. Ladle into bowls then serve! I hope you love this super simple, super scrumptious Easy Chicken and Rice Soup recipe enjoy!
A Good To Take Recipe
I love having this Chicken and Rice Soup stashed in the refrigerator for quick meals on busy days. It’s light, yet filling and it seems to always be a hit. This soup would also be a wonderful meal to take to a friend in need or a neighbor who’s been sick. It’s comforting, delicious, easy to warm up and keeps well for several days. Add some crusty dinner rolls or a plate of brioche rolls and you’ve got a delicious “to take” dinner that will bring a smile to just about anyone.
Now that it’s officially fall, it’s definitely soup season, so put this delicious recipe on the menu soon! There will be lots of happy campers around the table!
Read Also: Campbell’s Chicken Gumbo Soup Copycat Recipe
Recipe Notes Tips & Troubleshooting:
- You can use already cooked/rotisserie chicken, just be sure to add it in towards the end so it doesn’t overcook.
- Swap the boneless skinless chicken breasts for thighs if you prefer. I would leave them intact and add them in at the same time as the rice. They’re a lot harder to overcook than chicken breasts and become more tender the longer you cook them. Just shred them with 2 forks and add the meat back to the soup once it’s done cooking.
- This is not one of those soups that freezes well due to the cream and rice. If you do need to make it a bit ahead of time, I suggest cooking the rice separately and adding it to each bowl just prior to serving.
- As with any recipe, swap ingredients at your own discretion. There is a chance that substituting the cream with a lower fat alternative will lead to curdling since the soup is cooked at a fairly high heat. I don’t recommend swapping the white rice for brown rice or wild rice because it’ll take much longer to cook. However, if you want to use a different kind of rice, cook it separately and add it into the soup at the end.
This soup is a hearty meal as-is, but you can definitely serve it with a side of crusty bread and/or a salad.
Can I Use Leftover Cooked Rice
You can also use leftover cooked rice to make chicken rice soup if youre looking to clean out the fridge.
You will simply continue with the recipe as written but leave out the rice. Then, at the end when you are thickening the soup, stir in your precooked rice and it will be warmed through in no time.
Don’t Miss: Is Pea Soup Good For Diabetics
How To Store Leftovers
Make sure your soup has cooled down to room temperature before storing it. You can leave it right in the pot with the lid, or transfer it to an airtight container. Leftovers will last 3-4 days in the fridge.
To reheat, microwave your soup for 30 seconds at a time until heated through. You can also reheat in a pot on the stovetop over medium heat. If youve found that the rice has absorbed too much of the liquid and the soup consistency is too thick, add some more chicken broth or water.
Leftover Freezing And Reheating Instructions:
LEFTOVERS: The rice in this soup continues to absorb liquid, therefore this recipe is best served fresh. If you anticipate that you will have leftovers, we highly recommend using brown rice or wild rice. While the rice will continue to absorb liquid, wild rice or brown rice will be less mushy than white rice. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 to 5 days. FREEZE: Allow your soup to cool before storing in freezer-safe storage bags. You can freeze in quart size bags for single portions, or for the whole family in gallon size bags. Simply fill your desired size bag, seal, and lay flat in the freezer for easier thawing and stacking. REHEATING: Reheat in a saucepan on the stove over medium-low heat until warmed through. Add more chicken broth as needed.
If you like this recipe, you may be interested in these other delicious soup recipes:
Read Also: Blender That Makes Hot Soup And Ice Cream
What Kind Of Rice Is Best For Soup
All types of rice are great in soup. For this particular recipe, we prefer long grain, medium, short grain, or jasmine rice basically, any white rice is ideal. I typically use long grain white rice because I always have a tub of it on hand. For wild rice, we recommend this Panera copycat Chicken Wild Rice Soup.
Can I Freeze Chicken Rice Soup
Homemade Chicken Rice Soup freezes perfectly if you follow a few important steps.
Low-fat milk does not freeze well and will separate. Regular evaporated milk would fare better over low fat or skim evaporated milk in this creamy chicken rice soup recipe. If you know you plan to freeze, for an even better result, I recommend using whole milk or even cream as the higher fat content does better when frozen and thawed.
Cool to room temperature, then place in a large freezer bag, seal completely, and lay flat to freeze in a thin layer. This will help the soup to thaw quickly when you need it for dinner!
To thaw, you can submerge the bag in lukewarm water until thawed, then reheat to the desired temperature in the microwave or on the stovetop.
You May Like: Potatoes And Onion Soup Mix
Variations Of This Chicken Rice Soup:
- As mentioned above, feel free to swap out the vegetables or add more in! You do need to keep cook time in mind though and may want to add them at the end if they are quick cooking .
- I use brown rice, but you could also use wild rice or white rice . Again, keep in mind for the swaps you make you may need to adjust the liquid and cook time.
- If you really want this to be quick, you can use instant rice, but you may want to leave it out of the soup until the carrots are cooked because they can take a while to become tender and you dont want mushy rice!
- This soup is naturally gluten-free, but double check all of your packages to be sure.
- This soup can easily be made dairy-free, by omitting the milk or cream.
Should You Cook The Rice In The Chicken And Rice Soup Or Separately
You might be wondering why the rice is added at the very end in this chicken and rice soup recipe. I tried it both ways and we prefer the soup with rice that’s pre-cooked. Anytime you cook rice in soup, it absorbs a tremendous amount of the broth and you end up with more of a porridge than a brothy soup. It also doesn’t keep well and doesn’t look very attractive.
I get the rice going first, before prepping for the soup and it’s perfectly done and cooled a bit by the time the soup is finished cooking. If you’re serving a meal with rice, earlier in the week, you could just make an extra cup and you’d be all set for this soup recipe. One other option is to purchase a packet of pre-cooked rice. Most grocery stores offer this type of convenience item in the section where other varieties of rice is stocked. Trader Joe’s packets of frozen rice which are great. Three minutes in the microwave and it’s good to go!
Recommended Reading: Olive Garden Soup And Salad Price Dinner
The Ingredients Needed To Make Chicken And Rice Casserole Aka Leftovers:
Is there anything more comforting than a chicken & rice casserole? It’s the type of recipe we turn to time after time again during the fall and winter, just like roast. What Is Chicken and Rice Casserole? To make this easy chicken and rice casserole without any shortcuts , follow these instructions Chicken: You may also blanch your chicken or use leftover rotisserie chicken.
Easy Chicken And Rice Soup
Easy Chicken and Rice Soup is a quick and simple soup recipe that the entire family will love. Healthy comfort food in a bowl!
This post may contain affiliate links.
I feel like Im always confessing I never have anything planned for dinner and, well, its true. Do as I say and not as I do, because truthfully, I suck at meal planning. There, I said it! Just like the handymans home is always in need of repair, 2-3 days a week I can usually be found rummaging around the fridge and pantry at 4pm trying to come up with something for dinner Luckily since Ive created a well stocked kitchen, and pick up fresh produce and meat at the grocery store each week, its not difficult to come up with something quick, healthy and balanced, but theres definitely room to grow.
Until that time, Ill keep on creating fridge and pantry suppers like Easy Chicken and Rice Soup that my family has been DEVOURING lately.
ICYMI, Lincoln absolutely adores soup, and Easy Chicken and Rice Soup is at the top of his list!
You May Like: Crock Pot Pot Roast With Onion Soup Mix