Directions To Make Chicken Pot Pie With Potatoes:
There are a few steps to go through to make your pot pie filling. But dont be intimidated, they are quite simple and it comes together in about five minutes time.;
First, start by cooking your onion and garlic in olive oil.;
Remove those and set aside to be added back later.;
Next make a roux by simply melting butter and then whisking in flour.;
In goes the softened cream cheese. Its going to look like a thick, lumpy, mistake. Dont worry, youre on track still.
Now its time to start adding liquids. Gently pour in chicken broth and whisk to combine and smooth out mixture.
Make sure to keep whisking to smooth it all together. Add your seasonings.;
Then in goes milk, and more whisking, followed by cream and, you guessed it, more whisking. Make sure to taste test to see if you need any more salt, pepper, thyme or other seasonings.;
Finally, its time to add our veggies and chicken, as well as return the onions and garlic to the filling.;
While this delicious goodness is simmering, I prepare my pie crust.
Which means I open the box and roll it out. Were saving time here, people!
Youll notice my pie crust doesnt come all the way up the edges. Given that this really serves up more like a chicken pot pie casserole than a slice of pie, this is okay with me. If you want to make those edges perfect, you do you.;
Top with the remaining pie crust. I cut four small slits into the center to give steam a chance to escape.;
Tips For Making Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Use chicken thighs: This chicken pot pie soup recipe will work with chicken breasts or chicken thighs, but for best flavor use chicken thighs or shredded rotisserie chicken.;;
- Simmer chicken until tender:; Whether using chicken thighs or breasts, check the pieces individually for tenderness when simmering because they may cook unevenly. Be prepared to remove pieces of chicken at different times.
- Rotisserie chicken: Stock shredded chicken or rotisserie chicken portioned into 3-cup freezer bags so you always have chicken ready to add to any soup.
- Dont burn the bits:; When searing the chicken, you dont blackened bits, or they will make your soup taste burnt.; If; the chicken is browning too quickly, turn the heat down.
- Customize vegetables: In addition to the mirepoix, you can add whatever veggies you have on hand or mix it up just for fun! Green beans, corn, zucchini, cabbage, spinach, etc. would all be delicious. Just be aware most vegetables only need 10 minutes to cook.
- Consistency: You can make this chicken pot pie soup more or less chunky or more or less creamy. For a less chunky soup, simply add additional broth or half and half at the end of cooking. For a thicker soup, add extra cornstarch.;
Tips For Easy Chicken Pot Pie Soup Recipe
- Leftover turkey after Thanksgiving and Christmas is a great idea. Comfort food is always a good option.
- Keep it vegetarian. Skip the meat and add more vegetables. Swap in some potatoes, peas, carrots, and mushrooms!
- Take away the heavy cream and substitute with fat free milk. You may want to add in an extra tablespoon of flour to help this soup thicken up.
- Another way to cut calories would be to remove the cheese and pie crust dippers. I know. Those pie crust dippers are one of the best parts. But if you dont make them, you wont miss them.;
Don’t Miss: Onion Soup Mix Dip Recipe
Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
If you love chicken pot pie but do not want to experience the tedious tasks that go into making it, look no further! This chicken pot pie casserole is delicious, easy to make, and comforting!
Do not worry, this pot pie requires no pie crust making or vegetable chopping! The crumbly, and buttery crust of this casserole is brought to you by Pillsbury Crescent Rolls. The pie filling consists of canned soup, frozen veggies, chopped potatoes, and chicken! Okay, easy enough, right?
Dont shy away from frozen veggies. They are typically fresher than vegetables in the produce section because they are frozen immediately after they are picked! Frozen veggies last longer, and make things easier when time is tight!
Here is the total list of ingredients for the chicken pot pie casserole:
- 2 cans of cream of chicken soup
- 1 small onion
- Chicken tenderloins or chicken breast, shredded and cooked
- Frozen carrots and peas
To make this recipe even easier you can buy frozen, cubed, potatoes! I had a bag of raw white potatoes at home so I just cut up a few and boiled them.
How to make the chicken pot pie casserole:
Can You Make Chicken Pot Pie From Scratch
Can you make chicken pot pie from scratch? Of course! You can’t beat using the perfect roasted chicken with homemade crust and creamy gravy filling.
But, sometimes it’s okay to use soup in chicken pot pie.
When it comes to crunching time, throwing together the essential ingredients, even if they are store-bought, still has a very tasty outcome.
Have turkey leftovers? Try our Turkey Pot Pie recipe for a great way to use up all the big meal leftovers!;
Read Also: Gluten Free Cream Of Mushroom Soup Can
Can I Use Rotisserie Chicken
Yes!; Rotisserie chicken is my second choice to use in this recipe; after chicken thighs.;;Rotisserie chicken comes lightly seasoned for an added depth of flavor and is a mix of both light and dark meat.; It also comes perfectly tender and ready to slurp up.
To use rotisserie chicken, shred the chicken, discarding the bones and add about 3 cups shredded chicken to the soup at the end with the peas to warm through.; If using rotisserie chicken, youll skip the salt and pepper used in the beginning of the recipe to season the chicken and season to taste at the end of cooking.
Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie
Sharing is caring!
Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie is one of my favorite comfort food meals.; Ive always loved the creamy sauce and buttery crust, but the calories have been something I didnt enjoy.; This recipe is full of the creamy sauce, tender chicken, tons of vegetables, and a biscuit on top!
Youll love my slow cooker beef stroganoff for the meat-eaters in the family.
Also Check: How To Make Onion Dip With Soup Mix
How To Make Chicken For Recipes
BAKE. To make life easier, whenever I cook chicken for dinner, I always bake up a few extra plain chicken breast. I stick them in a ziploc freezer bag and put them in the freezer to save for a quick dinner fix.
BOIL OR GRILL. If you dont have any cooked chicken on hand, you can bake a couple breasts, grill them, or boil them.
ROTISSERIE. One of my favorite, easy things to do is purchase a rotisserie chicken for quick dinner assembly! Our grocery store even sells them pre-shredded at a decent price!
SLOW COOKER. Another option would be to put a few pounds of chicken breasts with one cup of chicken broth in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 hours. When done, shred chicken and use immediately in recipes or divide in ziploc freezer bags for future meals. This is something I tend to do on the weekends when were just relaxing at home.
How To Make Pillsbury Chicken Pot Pie:
1) Cut the chicken breast into 1-inch cubes. Season and cook in in a hot pan until brown on both sides. You can also use leftover rotisserie chicken cut into cubes you if you prefer.
2) Sweat onion, carrot, celery in a pan until caramelized, about 5-7 min
3) Quickly blanch potatoes until fork tender, approximately 2 minutes
4) Add everything else to a pan and stir, bring to a boil. Take the pan off the heat.
5) Transfer the pot pie chicken mixture into a deep casserole dish. Open your crescent roles and press the seams together so they are no longer in triangles, but in rectangles. Stretch them across the top of the casserole dish forming the top pie crust.
6) Put in the oven just long enough to cook the crescent roles about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
7) Remove from oven and serve the chicken pot pie in a big soup bowl or baking dish! Everyone gets the pot pie along with toasty crescent rolls.
I hope you enjoy this easy Pillsbury Chicken Pot Pie. It is such a great comfort food. You can see the video segment below if you learn better by watching!
You are going to love this easy version of the classic chicken pot pie. Will you try making this Pillsbury chicken pot pie?
Printable Pillsbury Chicken Pot Pie Recipe:
Read Also: How To Cook Tortilla Soup
Easy Mini Chicken Pot Pies
Minutes Prep Time: 15
PAM® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
1-1/2 cups Birds Eye® Mixed Vegetables
3/4 cup fat free milk
1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
2 tablespoons Parkay® Original Spread-tub
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 pkg refrigerated Marie Callender’s® Pie Crust, softened as directed on package
How To Make Chicken Pot Pie Soup
This chicken pot pie soup is quick and easy to make from scratch!; Lets make some!
STEP 1: SEAR CHICKEN:
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels; sprinkle with salt and pepper.; Drying the chicken allows the seasonings to stick. Allowing the chicken time to rest while you prep the veggies helps the seasonings penetrate the chicken. ;
- Sear chicken in a large Dutch oven/ soup pot until golden, about 2 minutes per side. Remove to a plate but leave drippings.;
- Searing the chicken results in the Maillard reaction, in which amino acids and reducing sugars produce browning, and as we know, color= flavor!; The delicious brown bits left in the bottom of the pan will be season the entire soup as they permeate the broth.
STEP 2:; SAUTÉ VEGETABLES:;
- Melt some butter and olive oil with any leftover chicken drippings then add the onions, carrots and celery and sauté for 4 minutes scaping up the golden bits on the bottom of the pan.;; Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and sauté for 30 seconds.
STEP 3:; Add flour;
- Sprinkle in the flour then cook, stirring constantly for 2 minutes . Cooking the flour gets rid of the raw flour smell and taste.
- The vegetables will not be completely tender at this point but will soften as they simmer with the soup.
STEP 4:; simmer soup
STEP 5:; thicken soup
- Once chicken is tender, remove to a cutting board, shred and add back to the pot.
- Whisk cornstarch with half and half until smooth then stir back into the pot. Bring the soup to a gentle simmer until thickened.
You May Like: Lipton Herb And Garlic Soup Mix
Classic Chicken Pot Pie
Tell everyone you’re having pie for dinner and see how big their smiles are. This homemade chicken pot pie recipe streamlines your work by using frozen peas and carrots and refrigerated Pillsbury Pie Crusts. Swap out chicken for turkey or try a different frozen veggie combo to put your own unique spin on this old-fashioned favorite.
Provided by By Betty Crocker Kitchens
|1 3/4 cups chicken broth|
|2/3 cup milk|
|2 1/2 to 3 cups cut-up cooked chicken or turkey|
|1 box frozen peas and carrots|
|1 box refrigerated Pillsbury Pie Crusts , softened as directed on box|
- In 2-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, onion, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is bubbly; remove from heat. Stir in broth and milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Stir in chicken and peas and carrots; remove from heat.
- Heat oven to 425°F. Roll 1 pie crust into 13-inch square. Ease into ungreased 9-inch glass baking dish. Pour chicken mixture into crust-lined dish.
- Roll remaining pie crust into 11-inch square. Cut out designs with 1-inch cookie cutter. Place square over chicken mixture. Arrange cutouts on top crust. Turn edges of pie crust under; flute edge.
- Bake about 35 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts : Calories562.1, Carbohydrate47.7 g, Cholesterol92.1 mg, Fat6 1/2, Fiber2.4 g, Protein20.3 g, SaturatedFat15.3 g, ServingSize1 Serving, Sodium675.0 mg, Sugar4.0 g, TransFat5 g
Can I Use Fresh Vegetables Instead Of Frozen
Frozen veggies are generally picked and frozen at their prime. It can also be a lot more affordable to buy a bag of frozen then buying fresh for each vegetable.;
If you want to use fresh vegetables in replace of frozen you are more than welcome to. Just prep the veggies as you normally would before mixing into the mixture.;
This is a great way to clean out your fridge and counter with produce that is close to expiring. Get creative and use whatever vegetables you want for this recipe.;
Read Also: How To Make Soup Dumplings
Chicken Pot Pie Made With Pillsbury Pie Crusts
As a child I grew up eating those cute little frozen pot pies. I learned at a young age how to poke holes in the top and heat them up. To be honest, its still a comforting meal to me, and sometimes Ill find them on special at the grocery store for $.75 each and buy a few.
I like to recreate some of my favorite boxed or frozen meals that I enjoyed growing up, and make them homemade without all that nasty sodium and preservatives. A few months ago I posted a status update;on my facebook that I was making a chicken pot pie using Pillsbury Pie Crusts. I asked if anyone would like the recipe and some interest was shown so I had planned to share it with you during our move. Unfortunately over the course of that move I misplaced my folder that I write all my recipes down in that Im making and testing. Thankfully I found it, so now I can share this delicious recipe with you! Maybe it will bring about fond and comforting memories for you as well!
- 2 medium yukon potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1-3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2-1/2 cup cooked, shredded chicken
- 1 box refrigerated pie crust , brought to room temperature
|Preheat oven to 425 degrees.Begin by sauteing your onion with the butter in a medium saucepan.|
|Add the garlic and celery, heat until just softened.|
|Stir in flour and whisk quickly until well blended.|
Pillsbury Chicken Pot Pie Recipe:
Easy chicken pot pie with short cuts to keep dinners easy. ;Orly first learned how to make this recipe when she found out it was one of her husbands favorite dishes after they first started dating.; In other words, this Pillsbury Chicken Pot Pie recipe may be so good that the man you are dating wants to marry you- in other words, be careful who you make this for! LOL
This recipe is sure to become a weeknight favorite at your house, simple to make but wholesome and hearty.; Perfect for family dinners together.
Pillsbury Chicken Pot Pie Ingredients:
- 2 large or 3 small Chicken Breasts
- 34 teaspoon paprika
- 2 Russet potatoes, small dice
- 1 can of corn, drained
- 1 cup of Frozen Peas
- 2 cans of cream of chicken soup
- 1 can of low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tube of Pillsbury crescent rolls
Recommended Reading: Where Can I Get Soup
The Best Fall Comfort Foods
This easy chicken pot pie recipe is one I keep handy for days where time seems to pass faster than I realize and need to get dinner started quickly.
What Is In Classic Chicken Pot Pie
The ingredients used in this homemade chicken pot pie recipe are both simple and flexible. You can add in, leave out or change up a number of the ingredients.;
- Cooked chicken;
- Pie crust;
We love our chicken pot pie with potatoes! While you dont have to put potatoes in chicken pot pie, I highly suggest you give it a try!
Don’t Miss: Amy’s Organic Minestrone Soup
Other Easy Family Dinner Recipes We Love:
- 2 ozcream cheeseit must be softened to avoid lumps
- 2tspkosher saltadjust to taste
- 1tspblack pepperadjust to taste
- 1/2tspdried thyme or seasoning of your choice
- 1 1/2cupchicken broth
- 1cupmilkwhole works best if available
- 1/2cupheavy whipping creamhalf and half can also be used
- 2cupsdiced, cooked chicken
- 3cupsmixed vegetables Small sized veggies such as diced carrots, peas, corn and potatoes work well. If using frozen, make sure to thaw first
- 1packageready made roll out pie crustsI recommend Pillsbury brand
How Do You Thicken Chicken Pot Pie Soup
This chicken pot pie soup should already be luxuriously thick and creamy due to the flour, half and half and cornstarch, but if you would still like a thicker soup, you can use any of these methods:
- Cornstarch:;;This is my preferred method and super easy.; Remove about ¼ cup soup and whisk in 1 -2 tablespoon cornstarch with a fork until smooth then whisk it back into the soup.; Simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes.; Repeat if needed.
- Flour:; Flour is half as potent as cornstarch so you will need twice as much. Remove about ½ cup soup, whisk in 2-4 tablespoons flour with a fork until smooth then whisk it back into the soup.; Simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes.; Repeat if needed.
- Mash potatoes:; Microwave a few potatoes, mash them and add them to the soup.
- Add creamed corn:;Add one can of creamed corn to add corn flavor and thicken the soup.
- Puree soup:;Remove 1-2 cups of the soup and puree it in your blender or food processor.; It will add body to the soup while preserving the flavor.
- Puree beans:;Add cannellini beans to a blender along with some of the soup. Puree until smooth to create a paste.; Stir back into the soup and warm through.
Read Also: Cream Of Chicken Soup Recipes With Rice