What Beans Should I Use
We typically make this a white bean soup and use canned white beans to make it, but any cooked or canned bean will work in the soup. You can see how we cook black beans or chickpeas if you would like to cook the beans from scratch.
Lentils or split peas can be used, as well. When using lentils or split peas, there is no need to cook them before adding them to the soup. Simply add them along with the broth and cook until they are tender before adding the pasta. You might find that this adds an extra 10 minutes of cook time.
What Do You Put In Homemade Vegetable Soup
We used an assortment of frozen mixed vegetables and also added potatoes, onion and celery. The fire roasted tomatoes really make this soup and give it the best broth.
You can easily add veggies you like or omit the ones your family doesnt care for and make this soup your own.; We love green beans and lima beans so I often add extra to this;vegetable soup recipe.
I wasnt sure if all of the kids would enjoy it because of the veggies but they really liked it. The tomatoes give it such a great flavor and it only gets better after being slow cooked all day.
How To Make Vegetable Soup
This article was co-authored by our trained team of editors and researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness. wikiHow’s Content Management Team carefully monitors the work from our editorial staff to ensure that each article is backed by trusted research and meets our high quality standards.There are 9 references cited in this article, which can be found at the bottom of the page. This article has been viewed 45,751 times.Learn more…
Who doesn’t love a nice warm bowl of vegetable soup? No matter the occasion, vegetable soup is a healthy and satisfying dish. This recipe will go over the basics of making vegetable soup, but it can be made with any vegetable, so the recipe is completely customizable. As long as you have about a pound of vegetables you like the flavor of, youre ready to make vegetable soup.XResearch source This soup can be expected to feed four people.
Also Check: Where Can I Get Soup Delivered
Adding Extra Flavor Herbs And Spices To Add
This soup has a mild seasoning blend to it which I prefer but you can definitely add more herb flavor or spices to taste. Heres a few ideas of what you could add:
- Fresh or dried herbs such as basil, thyme, oregano or marjoram.
- Dried herb blends such as Italian seasoning or herbs de Provence.
- Red pepper flakes will add a spicy kick.
- Paprika or a curry powder.
- Add a parmesan rind and simmer.
More Delicious Cabbage Recipes To Try
- 1 1/2Tbspolive oil
- 1 1/2cupschopped yellow onion
- 1 1/2cupsdiced carrots
- 1cupsdiced celery
- 1Tbspminced garlic
- 6oz.fresh green beans ,end trimmed, chopped
- 1mediumred bell pepper,chopped
- 1small cabbage,chopped
- 1 canpetite diced tomatoes
- 6cupslow-sodium chicken broth
- 2tspItalian seasoning
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3Tbspchopped fresh parsley
Also Check: Blender That Makes Hot Soup And Ice Cream
Tips For Making Vegetable Soup
- To save time, you can substitute a drained can of diced tomatoes for hand-diced tomatoes in this homemade vegetable soup recipe.
- Add browned ground beef, turkey, sausage, or cubed extra firm tofu to this recipe for a higher protein option. You can also use leftover Rotisserie Chicken!
- Use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth to make this soup vegetarian. You can also change which broth youre using depending on your flavor preference.
- If youre going to add leafy greens to the soup, like kale or spinach, add them about 20 minutes before youre ready to serve.
- Add some al dente pasta right before serving to add some carbs to this vegetable soup recipe.
- This recipe is dairy free as-is, but you can add ¾ cup of half and half or coconut milk just before serving for a creamy vegetable soup recipe.
- Add a dash of cayenne pepper, diced jalapeno, or red pepper flakes to add some spicy seasoning to this soup.
- For a thicker soup base, add 3-4 tablespoons of tomato puree.
- Use a taco seasoning packet for a Tex-Mex veggie soup and serve with crunchy tortilla chips.
Pin this recipe now to remember it later
Easy Vegetable Soup Recipe
Vegetable soup doesnt have to be bland and boring. This recipe is so hearty and delicious, youll hardly realize its vegetarian. Its a comforting, feel-good soup and tastes so much better than canned or store-bought.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Whether youre trying to watch your figure or sneakily slip more veggies into your kids diets, look no further than this homemade vegetable soup recipe. Get your deepest soup bowls ready, because youre about to have your entire household wondering what that delicious aroma is wafting from the kitchen.
Recommended Reading: Amy’s Organic Minestrone Soup
How To Serve Vegetable Soup
Vegetable soup can totally be a light meal on its own, but I love serving it with a salad and some crusty bread or crackers.
For the crackers, you can make your own super simple almond flour crackers or use your favorite store-bought cracker. Ive been hooked on Simple Mills crackers because they have minimal, clean ingredients and taste delicious!
How To Make Cabbage Soup On The Stovetop
- 1. Saute mirepoix veggies: olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat, add the onions, carrots and celery then saute 6 minutes. Add in the garlic and saute 1 minute longer.
- 2. Stir in remaining vegetables, broth and seasonings: stir in cabbage, bell pepper, tomatoes, green beans, broth, Italian seasoning and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 3. Boil then let simmer: Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until veggies are tender, about 15 minutes.
- 4. Finish with parsley: Stir in parsley and serve warm.
Don’t Miss: Bean Soup Diet Weight Loss
How To Convert To Ground Beef
This is such a versatile recipe. Ground beef could even be use here in place of the beef stew meat. If going that route though you wont need to simmer as long so skip the first 30 minute simmering and jump right to the step of adding the potatoes.
You could also cut up a chuck roast if thats whats on sale instead of using beef stew meat.
How To Make The Best Vegetable Soup
Making vegetable;soup is simple, and it all happens in one pot!;Heres an overview of how to make it .
Sweat onions, carrots,;and celery in olive oil and tomato paste. The tomato paste adds lots of flavor to the soup.
Add more flavor with garlic, ground fennel seeds , pepper, and salt.
Pour in vegetable or chicken stock, a can of diced tomatoes,;potatoes, cabbage, and bay leaves.
Simmer until the veggies are tender .
Add frozen peas and cook for five more minutes.
Season to taste with more salt, pepper, and a little acid like apple cider vinegar or lemon juice.
You May Like: Campbell’s Tomato Soup Sloppy Joe Recipe
Slow Cooker Vegetable Soup Recipe
We have one of the easiest recipes ever! With very little chopping or prep work, this soup is one of the easiest slow cooker meals that your family will love!
You only have to chop a few ingredients and the other ingredients are either canned or frozen so they just get tossed in the slow cooker. It is that simple! Really!
Stir In Final Additions & Adjust The Seasoning
For chunky soups, you can add cooked pasta, rice, barley or other starches after the vegetables are cooked .
For smooth soups, now is the time to add any cream, milk, crème fraîche, sour cream, or yogurt to make it extra creamy. You can add as much or as little as you like. In some instances , add minimal broth earlier and then plenty of milk at this point to make it creamy without a ton of fat. In other instances , a minimal amount of cream, crème fraîche, or sour cream adds just that touch of velvety smoothness to an otherwise veggie-laden soup.
This is also the time to add any fresh herbsthyme, parsley, dill, mintthat appeal to you. Soft-leaf, milder herbs like parsley, cilantro, or mint can be added by the handful if you like. But stronger herbs like rosemary or oregano… add them in small 1/2-teaspoon amounts and taste before adding more.
Whatever soup you’re making, now that you have all the ingredients in the pot, taste it. You will, in all likelihood, need to add salt. Add salt in 1/2-teaspoon increments, stirring to incorporate and dissolve it before tasting. And what should you taste when you sip that little spoonful? A clear uptick in flavor.
Also Check: Lipton Onion Soup Mix Nutrition Information
More Vegan Soup Recipes:
This vegan vegetable soup is a great staple soup recipe to enjoy in colder months. You can use it a base recipe and add greens or ground beef/turkey to bulk it up. Its versatile and adaptable to switch out the vegetables and spices based on your preference.
If youve;tried this feel good;Creamy Vegetable Soup;recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then dont forget to;rate the recipe;and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on; so I can repost on my stories!
How To Make Vegetable Soup Step By Step
- Heat the oil in a large pot and sautée the garlic, celery, and onion over medium-high heat until golden brown .
- Add all the remaining ingredients , bring to a boil, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
- If you dont eat oil, use some water or vegetable stock instead.
- Use any veggies, spices, or herbs you have on hand.
- I recommend you use fresh garlic, although garlic powder would also work well, as well as onion powder.
- You dont need to peel the potatoes or the carrots.
- I usually use frozen corn kernels, but canned corn is also a good option.
- You can either use fresh or frozen green beans, as well as canned or frozen peas.
- You could omit the Italian seasoning or add a different kind of herb, although it gives the soup a delicious flavor.
- Feel free to use any type of salt.
Recommended Reading: Easy Chicken Pot Pie Recipe With Cream Of Chicken Soup
Print This Crock Pot Vegetable Soup Recipe Below:
If you need an easy meal idea everyone will love, try;Ham and Potato Soup Crock Pot Recipe. This soup is rich and creamy and the perfect comfort food.
Give this;Crock Pot Chicken and Wild Rice Soup Recipe;a try for a meal that is easy to prepare and sure to please even the pickiest of eaters.; The slow cooker does all the work and this soup is hearty and delicious.
Enjoy this amazing;slow cooker chicken noodle soup;and let the crock pot do all the work!
Crock Pot Minestrone Soup Recipe;comes together for a flavor packed meal with very little effort.
Your Family Will Love This Vegetable Soup Crock Pot Recipe
It is so comforting to enjoy a warm bowl of soup during the cold winter months. However, this soup is light enough to enjoy year round.
The bread is perfect to dip into the soup and get every last drop of the amazing broth. Yum!
Dont underestimate the power of a big bowl of soup and homemade bread.;It is the best comfort food!
Everyone in the family enjoys coming home to dinner ready and waiting.
On crazy busy days, we have even just skipped the bread and enjoyed it with saltine crackers. This soup is amazing regardless of what you serve it with.
For those gluten free, skip the bread all together and still enjoy an amazing bowl of soup.
Also Check: French Onion Soup Bowls With Lids
Vegetable Soup With Fresh Mexican Flavors
This soup is low in fat and packed with good for your ingredients, so this could definitely be considered;a diet friendly soup .
Its like a traditional vegetable or minestrone soup with a hint of Mexican flavors and if youre lucky enough to have any left it will make for perfect lunch the next day.
If you are trying to eat healthier this soup is a great place to start. Its the perfect way to get a ton of bunch of veggies in your diet in one sitting.
Neat Tricks To Spice Up Your Next Vegetable Soup Recipe
Vegetable soup is one of my favorite fall dishes to eat of all and I have some terrific tips to spice up your vegetable soup in case youâre bored with your usual recipe. Vegetable soup is such an easy meal to make because you can toss almost any vegetable in without messing it up. Yet, if you donât use certain flavor techniques, it can come out bland, and salt isnât always the healthiest, or best option. Try using some of these neat tricks to spice up your vegetable soup for your next batch. Hopefully, youâll never have boring soup again!
Don’t Miss: Lipton Herb And Garlic Soup Mix
More Easy Vegetarian Recipes
For a creamy blended soup, try our Creamy Vegetable Soup Recipe. It has lots of rave reviews.
Our Lentil Soup with Lemon and Turmeric is hearty, nutritious, and delicious.
Use our Homemade Vegetable Broth for the base of your vegetable soup. Its rich and ultra-satisfying.
Try our Homemade Veggie Burgers! Unlike so many meatless burger recipes out there, we add lots of vegetables to the patties.
More Easy Soup Recipes
- Easy Sausage and Potato Soup You will love this easy potato soup recipe with Italian sausage, potatoes, garlic, and kale.
- Simple Ham and Cabbage Soup This soup with cabbage and ham is hearty, healthy, easy to make, and tastes fantastic.
- Three Ingredient Tomato Soup You wouldnt think that three ingredients butter, onion, and tomato can come together to make such a velvety and delicious tomato soup, but let me tell you. They can.
- Creamy Homemade Potato Soup You will love this easy soup with potatoes, veggies, garlic, and a luscious creamy broth.
- Lentil Soup with Lemon and Turmeric Meet my go-to lentil soup recipe!;I make this soup with lentils, carrots, turmeric, and fresh lemon whenever Im in need of some healthy comfort food.
- Lemony Chicken Vegetable Soup This lemon chicken and vegetable soup checks all the boxes. Its hearty, healthy, satisfying, and tastes incredible.
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup Butternut squash is roasted on top of garlic cloves and fresh thyme then blended with stock into a silky smooth butternut squash soup.
Recipe updated, originally posted December;2011. Since posting this in 2011, we have tweaked the recipe to be more clear. Adam and Joanne
You May Like: Soup Diets For Quick Weight Loss
Celeriac Hazelnut & Truffle Soup
Rustle up this healthy vegan celeriac and;hazelnut soup as a starter on Christmas Day. Truffle oil adds a bit of luxury, or;leave it out for a;simple supper on a winter’s night
A basic soup recipe that can be adapted to whatever needs using up in the fridge
Whats In Homemade Vegetable Soup
I chose every ingredient for a specific reason based on the healing properties. The trace micronutrients, vitamins, and minerals in the broth are so soothing and comforting when I feel a little off. After just sipping on one cup, I literally feel a renewed energy. Plants, they really do a body good.
In no way is this a comprehensive list of benefits, but the highlights for each ingredient follow:
Carrots Rich in beta-carotene, which is converted into vitamin A in the liver. Vitamin A helps with ocular health and;assists the liver in flushing out the toxins from the body. It reduces the bile and fat in the liver.
Onions and Leeks The phytochemicals in onions improve how Vitamin C works, so you get improved immunity, and they reduce inflammation.;Onions contain chromium, which assists in regulating blood sugar.
Bok Choy Packed with vitamins A, C, and K. One cup of cooked bok choy provides more than 100% of the recommended dietary allowance of A, and close to two-thirds the RDA of C and K.
Sweet Potatoes and Yams Contain Vitamin D, which is critical for immune system and overall health. Vitamin D is both a vitamin and a hormone, and is primarily made in our bodies as a result of getting adequate sunlight, but this time of year it can be tricky. Depleted D levels can lead to Seasonal Affective Disorder . Also a great source of B6, Vit C, iron, and magnesium. which is;the relaxation and anti-stress mineral.
You May Like: Soup Kitchens To Volunteer At
How To Make Vegetable Soup Watch The Video
This soup is jam packed with veggies and making it a healthy dinner choice.
I had two bowls then came back before bed for a third because I liked it so much. I love that it uses half fresh veggies and half frozen so you still get all that freshness but have the ease of pre-cut frozen veggies too.
During the summer when you have all the fresh veggies;on hand definitely feel free to use all fresh instead.