Homemade Cream Of Chicken Soup Recipe
Soup and Stew 20 mins
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup recipe is an essential in so many delicious dishes. Made with basic ingredients of butter, flour, chicken stock, milk and seasonings, youll turn to this cream of chicken soup recipe time and again.
There are so many family favorite recipes that call for cream of chicken soup, from my familys favorite chicken and rice casserole, my Grandmothers famous cornbread dressing and in our favorite chicken pot pie! YUM!
While I dont have an issue with the convenience of opening a can of it from time to time, I do like to know more about what all is in the food I prepare for my family and realistically, I like being able to whip up a batch myself with just a few simple ingredients that I always have on hand.
Cheesy Chicken And Rice Casserole
The ultimate in hearty fare, this comforting chicken casserole makes a brilliantly simple, midweek supper solution
What youll need
- 4 skinless & boneless chicken breasts
- 60g of grated cheddar cheese
How to make Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, 375°F, Gas Mark 5.
- In a 2-litre ovenproof dish mix the soup, water, onion, rice, ground black pepper and frozen vegetables.
- Add the chicken breasts and spoon over the mixture, bake in the centre of the oven for 50 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the rice is tender.
- Top the casserole with the cheese and grill until the cheese is golden brown.
- Serve with a mixed leaf salad.
Cream Of Chicken Soup Recipes Your Family Will Love
We have so many chicken soup recipes, we couldnt just stick to a top 10! From chicken pot pies to quesadillas and risotto, theres a chicken soup recipe for every taste and every occasion.
Our cream of chicken soup is a key ingredient in these recipes. It makes a great base for a sauce, thickens up pies with hearty flavour and brings a warming sense of comfort that you can only get with Campbells.
Do you have a recipe that youd like to feature on our list? Send it to us! Wed be proud to share your skills with our community of fellow Campbells cooks.
Read Also: Campbells Chicken Rice Bake
Homemade Condensed Cream Of Chicken Soup
This recipe is an updated version of a recipe I posted way back when I started RecipeTin Eats. The previous recipe was written starting with a homemade condensed cream of chicken soup thick and gloopy like Campbells soup in a can.
I went through a phase when I made homemade condensed soup which I would then keep for a few days then later use to make a soup or casserole. However, I found that I havent made condensed soup in years, mainly because it can only be kept for a few days so it kind of defeats the purpose of that recipe. But in case you want it, Ive kept it to get the recipe for the homemade Cream of Chicken Soup!
This is what it looks like. I told you gloopy!!
With just 395 calories for a meal size bowl, this cream of chicken soup recipe is healthier than most creamy soups because its made without cream. Its far healthier than canned lower in sodium, preservative free and other artificial additives.
And you can tell the difference with just one spoonful. It tastes so much better than canned, its almost a joke!
I know Ive included croutons here, but nobody would ever say no to a side of crusty bread for dunking! Here are some of my favourites.
How Do You Heat Up Cream Of Chicken Soup
Soups based on broth should be heated over medium heat, stirring often to reach a peak but purees or soups containing milk, cream, egg, or cheese should be heated over low heat frequently to reach as much desired consistency. Upon boiling, certain ingredients may separate. You can make soups in the refrigerator and serve them right away.
Recommended Reading: Lipton Recipe Secrets Pot Roast
Cream Of Chicken Soup Mix
Cream of chicken soup is a staple in our pantry. I use it all the time in soups and casseroles. Last year canned goods were hard to find, so I had to make my own condensed cream soup. OMG! This mix is super easy to make and tastes great! It is perfect for when you dont have a can of soup on hand or if you are wanting a healthier alternative to use in casseroles.
Easy Slow Cooker Chicken & Dumplings
Just because youre going on a trip doesnt mean you have to give up home cooking. This slow cooker chicken and dumplings recipe is perfect for tripsall you need is a crock pot and somewhere to put it. Its simple, but easy to modify, so youre free to add or remove ingredients to suit your tastes
Also Check: Copycat Knorr Vegetable Soup Mix
Homemade Cream Of Chicken
Canned cream of chicken soup is a convenient item, good to have on hand in a pinch, but not necessarily the healthiest food choice for anyone trying to keep an eye on their intake of sodium or fat. But, if you’re so inclined, it’s pretty easy to whip up a home-made batch that can do the trick and where you can control the amount of sodium. The Art of Simple starts with a basic white sauce thickened to the consistency of a cream soup.
To make the equivalent of a 10-ounce can of creamed soup, The Art of Simple’s white sauce-base starts with a blend of 3 tablespoons butter, 3 tablespoons flour, a quarter-teaspoon salt, and 1 cup milk or stock. For a chicken-flavored substitute, use chicken stock instead of milk and add in a quarter-teaspoon of poultry seasoning or sage. Depending on how you’re using it, you may want to incorporate diced, cooked chicken or play around with seasonings like curry, nutmeg, Worcestershire sauce, or fresh and dried herbs to add more nuanced flavor.
Cream Of Chicken Soup
Now lets get down to the hero of this entire list the cream of chicken soup recipes!
Youre probably familiar with the canned, store-bought version, but did you know the cream of chicken soup is surprisingly easy to make at home?
This recipe can be used as a substitute for condensed soup or as a base for any creamy, homemade soup. Its also freezer-friendly, which means it can be pulled out for those last-minute dinner ideas!
Youll have up to four months to use this soup, and its compatible with any of the recipes on this list that call for cream of chicken.
Also Check: Campbell Soup Chicken And Rice Recipe
Can You Freeze Homemade Cream Of Chicken Soup
Yes! To freeze, allow the soup to cool completely and then store in a freezer-safe container for up to 2 months.
To use, remove from the freezer and allow to thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Then, allow to reach room temperature prior to using, or defrost in the microwave on 50% at 20-second intervals, stirring between each interval.
Using As A Substitute For Condensed Soup
- This recipe serves as a direct substitute for canned Cream of Chicken soup.
- 1 batch= two cans of soup, each can is about 1 + 1/4 cups.
- I recommend freezing these in can-sized portions, these Rubbermaid containers perfectly fit 1 can of soup so you can easily pull them from the freezer for cooking.
What I Love About This Cream Of Chicken Soup Recipe
I love all the massive flavor embedded in this smooth rich cream of chicken soup recipe. This stuff is so good you may never buy the canned variety again. Who could blame you?
This cream of chicken soup recipe doesnt disappoint and there are even more great reasons to love it.
- Wholesome recipe with intense flavor
- Can be ready in about an hour
- Full of nutritious veggies
- The luscious, velvety texture
Homemade Cream Of Chicken Soup
Thursday, January 7, 2021
Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup Mix with only a few simple ingredients you can make your own condensed cream soup that is healthier and lower in calories than the canned stuff. Dry milk, cornstarch, chicken bouillon, and black pepper. Add any seasonings you like onion powder, thyme, basil. Combine the mix with water and cook until thick. Great substitute for Cream of Chicken, Cream of Mushroom, and Cream of Celery. #soup #mix #creamofchicken
Remember this recipe.
Recommended Reading: Lipton Soup Crock Pot Pot Roast
Storing Homemade Cream Of Chicken Condensed Soup
This should be good in the refrigerator for about a week, depending on the freshness of your ingredients.
Whether you are avoiding a bunch of sketchy ingredients you cannot pronounce, or if you want to skip the extra trip to the storethis is a fantastic substitute for condensed cream soup. I have tried it in just about every recipe that I previous used canned condensed soup in. And it works great!
Creamy Pesto Chicken & Bow Ties
One of the great things about our soups is that they are always there when you need them. When times are tough and you need a cheap and easy meal, you can rely on Campbells. On-hand ingredients like cream of chicken soup, pasta and prepared pesto sauce combine with chicken to make a mouth-watering dinner thats on the table in 40 minutes.
What youll need
- 220 g farfalle pasta, cooked and drained
How to make it
- Season the chicken as desired. Heat the butter in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken and cook until well browned, stirring often.
- Stir the soup, pesto sauce and milk in the skillet and heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low.
- Cook for 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Stir in the farfalle and cook until the mixture is hot and bubbling
- Season to taste.
Recommended Reading: Onion Soup Mix Calories
Creamy Shortcut Chicken And Vegetable Biryani
Delightfully simple, our Chicken and Vegetable Biryani is a flavour packed dish that youre bound to love. Using our Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup to take the sauce to the next level.
What Youll Need
- 3 large skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 2 large red onions, sliced
- 3 fat garlic cloves, crushed
- 25g butter
- 2 tsp medium curry powder
- 1 green pepper, deseeded, cored and finely chopped
- 1 295g can Campbells Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
- 350g basmati rice, rinsed well and drained
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- Fresh coriander to garnish
How to make Creamy Shortcut Chicken And Vegetable Biryani
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and fry the chicken over a high heat for 6-7 minutes until lightly browned. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside
- Add the onions and fry for 8-10 minutes until golden and caramelised
- Add the garlic, if using, and cook for a further 2-3 minutes. Remove half the onions and set aside
- Add the curry powder and pepper to the remaining onions and cook for 1-2 minutes stirring continuously. Return the chicken to the pan with the soup and add 150ml / ¼ pint water. Bring to the boil and stir well
- Cook the rice according to the packet instructions. Drain well and tip over the chicken mixture so it is covered
- Mix together the ground turmeric and 1 tbsp water. Drizzle randomly over the top of the rice
- Cover with a tightly fitting lid and cook for 10 minutes
- Fluff up with a fork and serve scattered with the remaining onions and coriander, if using
Skip The Canned Stuff
Whether you are trying to eat more whole foods and staying away from processed ones, or you just plain ran out of the canned versionthis cream of chicken soup is for you! Not only is it delicious, but easy to make!
This delish version only requires a handful of ingredients that you probably already have on hand. Homemade Cream of Chicken soup is great for thickening, adding flavor, and making sauces. Use it any recipe that you would use the canned version, or create your own dish of yumminess!
This soup could be use as a belly-filling meal on its own. This hearty and comforting creamy chickensoup will keep you cozy all night long.
Read Also: Lipton Onion Soup Mix Nutrition Label
Get The Right Texture
What if its too thin / thick?
- If it is too thin, add in a slurry of cornstarch and water. Do this in equal parts, try 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and 1 tablespoon of water.
- If it is too thick, add in extra milk or chicken stock.
How to keep from getting lumpy? The lumps in your soup could be from flour not being properly incorporated. This can be avoided by creating a flour slurry that you add to the stock. Take your flour and start adding the milk from your recipe until it forms a slurry. Mix your flour and milk until there are no lumps. Then add this slurry to your stock as well as any extra milk.
Can You Substitute Chicken Soup For Chicken Broth
There is seldom a problem replacing one broth with another when using in recipes. You will only need one ratio for each trade. Its easier to use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth for a hearty recipe for chicken noodle soup. As you may know, there will be some substitutions you might want to avoid.
Recommended Reading: Aldi Chicken Noodle Soup
Cream Of Mushroom Chicken Casserole
If you’re searching for a chicken recipe that feels more like a complete meal, then the cream of mushroom chicken casserole may be the way to go. This casserole dish combines chicken, rice and the cream of mushroom soup to create this one-dish meal. All you have to add are the veggies.
This recipe is also inspired by a cream of mushroom chicken and rice recipe featured on Campbell’s Kitchen and takes about an hour from prep to table.
- 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds of skinless, boneless chicken breasts
For a side dish, consider sauteed fresh baby spinach or green beans.
How To Make Cream Of Chicken Soup From Scratch
This mix is very easy to make. Whisk together dry milk, chicken bouillon, corn starch, and pepper. Combine & frac13 cup of the mix with 1 ¼ cups water in a saucepan and cook until thickened. This is almost as easy as opening a can!
- I like to add onion powder and a little salt to the mixture.
- You can also add crushed thyme and basil.
- The mix will keep several months in an air-tight container.
- Is Cream of Chicken Soup Mix gluten-free? Yes! All the ingredients in the soup mix are gluten-free.
- This recipe makes 3 cups of mix which is equivalent to about 6 cans of soup.
Read Also: Broccoli Chicken Rice Casserole Campbells
Simple Creamy Chicken Risotto
Sometimes its the simple things that taste the best. Take our Creamy Chicken Risotto for example This main-dish risotto is chock full of chicken, carrots and green onion. Its creamy, delicious, and requires very little stirring.
What youll need
- 1 small carrot, shredded
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
How to Make Simple Creamy Chicken Risotto
- Heat the oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken and cook until well browned, stirring often.
- Stir the soup, broth, water, carrot, green onions and cheese in the skillet and heat to a boil.
- Stir in the rice. Reduce the heat to low.
- Cover and cook for 25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the rice is tender.
What Can You Use Substituted Cream Of Chicken Soup For
Cream of chicken soup can be used for many dishes, such as casseroles. A soup will make the casserole creamer and give it a lovely chicken taste that amplifies all of the other ingredients within.
Adding one of our substitutes to a chicken casserole can make it even more delicious and meaty than if you were to skip it. The creaminess would surely be missed in a casserole dish.
Alternatively, you could use a cream of chicken soup substitute to make a sauce for a chicken dish. Adding some more ingredients to this base such as mushroom, lemon, or herbs can transform it into a sauce to cook over your chicken.
Cream of chicken soup can also be used as a base for other soups. While making one of our substitutes, simply add in any other ingredient that you would like to enjoy and cook together.
Good examples are potatoes, mushrooms, or shredded pieces of chicken. You can use the substitutes as a base for any chicken dishes to give it a creamy consistency and a heightened chicken flavor.
Don’t Miss: Campbells Soup Chicken Bake
Recipes Made With A Can Of Cream Of Chicken Soup
Saturday, March 21, 2020
15 Recipes Made with a can of Cream of Chicken Soup easy recipes made with pantry staples. Pork, beef, and chicken. All of the recipes are super easy to make and use everyday ingredients. Im sure you have most, if not all, of them all in the house now. #pantry #creamofchickensoup
Remember this recipe.