How To Make Olive Garden Pasta E Fagioli
- In a 5 ½ quart dutch oven or soup, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onions, carrots, and celery and cook until onions are translucent this step takes around 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Then stir the dried oregano, basil, and thyme into the cooked vegetables. Cook for another 1-2 minutes or until the spices are fragrant. This step helps to bloom the spices, which gives them a deeper flavor.
- Stir the tomato paste into the vegetables. This method helps to blend the tomato paste evenly into the vegetables and soup.
- Next, add the ground beef into the soup pot and sprinkle with salt. Cook until beef is no longer pink. Break up the ground beef into small pieces as it cooks.
- To the soup pot, pour in the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, beef broth, red kidney beans, and white kidney beans.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for 45 minutes or until carrots and celery are soft. Add more beef broth if the soup gets too thick.
- Serve with cooked ditalini pasta. You can either add the pasta to the pot or add the amount of pasta you want into a bowl and then ladle the soup over the top and mix.
- Sprinkle grated parmesan cheese on top and enjoy.
Tips For The Best Chicken Gnocchi Soup:
- Dice veggies small so theyll cook through in time.
- Use fresh spinach for best results, skip the frozen kind here. It will turn out mushy.
- Dont let the béchamel sauce get to hot or it can separate and wont have the same thickening.
- Use mini gnocchi if you can find them , theyre the perfect size for soup.
- If you are planning on lots of leftovers you can cook the gnocchi separately and add to individual servings.
How To Make Pasta Fagioli
Just a few simple steps in making this soup! Heres a brief summary
Recommended Reading: Campbell’s Chicken And Broccoli Casserole
How To Make Olive Garden Pasta Fagioli Soup
And there you have it! A rich and easy soup that will feed a lot of people.
Easy Pasta E Fagioli Soup Recipe
A super easy, quick copycat recipe, this Olive Garden Pasta e Fagioli recipe is hearty, comforting one pot meal. Simple pasta and beans are simmered in a thick, savory tomato sauce with ground beef making this a favorite dish for the whole family.
This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and love.
Ahhhh, comfort food. The cravings are coming in droves and I cant get enough of it. But when it comes to ordering take out, Id rather make my own. Olive Garden has my heart but right now Im staying in and making my favorites like Baked Tortellini al Forno and this Olive Garden Pasta e Fagioli soup.
Its super hearty because its packed with beans and, unlike traditional Pasta Fagioli, savory ground beef. Its the most comforting one pot dinner to come out of my kitchen lately and its insanely easy to make in about 30 minutes from start to finish.
Recommended Reading: Round Spoon Flatware Set
Saute Aromatics & Veggies
Once the sausage is nicely browned add the chopped onion & garlic & saute for about 1 minute. Than, add the carrot & the celery and saute for another minute.
Pour in the stock and de-glaze the pot very well scraping the sides and the bottom of the pot with the help of a spatula. There should not be any food particles stuck at the bottom of the pot. This will help prevent the BURN error.
Add all the seasonings and give everything a quick stir.
Storing Pasta E Fagioli
Store soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will keep for up to 5 days. The kicker? This soup tastes better and better as it marinates in the fridge. Yes, that means your leftovers will get tastier as the days go by! To reheat your soup, simply microwave it or bring it to a simmer in a pot over medium-high heat.
Don’t Miss: Hamburgers With Onion Soup Mix
What Ingredients Go Into Pasta Fagioli
- Ground beef. Use at least 80% lean ground beef. You can also try it with half Italian sausage.
- Olive oil. This is used for sauteing the veggies so you wont need much.
- Yellow onion, carrots, celery, garlic and parsley. These fresh vegetables add layers of flavor.
- Canned tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, kidney beans, great northern beans, and low-sodium chicken broth. These canned ingredients make this a weeknight friendly recipe cutting way down on prep.
- Sugar. This very small amount just balances the acidity of the canned tomatoes. If preferred you can omit it.
- Dried oregano, basil, thyme, marjoram. If you dont have all the different dried herbs then you can just use an Italian seasoning blend. Use 1 Tbsp.
- Ditalini pasta. In a pinch another small pasta will work fine here like macaroni or even orzo.
- Parmesan cheese. Shredded Romano will work great too.
Olive Garden Pasta E Fagioli Soup Copycat
This Pasta e Favioli Soup is one of our familys most favorite cold weather meals. It reminds me of fall leaves, football season, sweaters and cozy fires. Its my top choice at Olive Garden every time we go there to eat, so I decided to find a way to make it at home. This copycat recipe tastes exactly like the popular restaurant dish!
You May Like: Lipton Soup Pot Roast Oven
How To Make Chicken And Gnocchi Soup:
- Saute vegetables: Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot and celery and sauté 6 minutes, add garlic sauté 1- 2 minutes longer.
- Add broth and seasoning: Pour in broth, add rosemary, thyme, nutmeg and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- If using raw chicken breasts add them now : Add in chicken breasts and bring soup to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and allow to simmer until chicken is cooked through , about 8 12 minutes.
- Make roux: Meanwhile, while chicken is cooking, melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add flour, cook and stir constantly 1 minute.
- Make béchamel sauce: While whisking vigorously pour in milk then continue to whisk vigorously to smooth any lumps. Season with salt and pepper to taste.While whisking constantly, cook until mixture thickens. Stir in cream, remove from heat.
- Shredded chicken: Once chicken in soup has cooked through remove chicken from soup and allow chicken to rest 5 minutes then dice or shred into pieces .
- Cook gnocchi: Add gnocchi to broth mixture, cover and simmer for recommend time directed on package, about 5 minutes.
- Add white sauce to soup: Reduce soup mixture to low heat, stir milk mixture into broth mixture.
- Stir in cooked chicken and spinach: Add in cooked chicken and spinach. Cook until spinach wilts, about 1 minute.
- Finish with cheese if desired: Serve warm with Romano cheese if desired.
Fun Facts About Pasta Fazool
First there was the soup and then there were the pronunciations.
Pasta Fazool, Pasta Fazoola, Pasta e Fagiolo, Pasta e Fasule, Pasta Fagioli, Whatever it is, it all means Pasta and Beans.
Then there were the songs. Way back in the 1920’s Pastafazoola was made famous by a male duo and they sang out “Don’t be a fool, eat pastafazool!”. That song was recorded several times by other artists.
Then there was Dean Martin’s ‘Amore’. He not only sang about a big pizza pie in your eye he also sang When the stars make you drool, just-a like pasta fazool, thats amore
I mean it has got to be good stuff!
Also Check: Olive Garden Endless Salad
Olive Garden Pasta E Fagioli
Pasta e Fagioli Soup is filled with lean ground beef, beans, and pasta. In a way, its an Italian-style chili. Olive Gardens Pasta e Fagioli has long been a favorite of mine, and Im so happy to say this recipe is the best copycat version of it!
This post contains affiliate links. I am an affiliate for Amazon Associates and other brands and earn a small commission on qualifying purchases. Youre by no means obligated to use my links but, if you do, thank you for supporting Organize Yourself Skinny.
Fun fact during my college years, I worked as a waitress at the Olive Garden. Next to blogging, it was my favorite job.
I dont go there as often as I might like for obvious reasons I have no self-control when it comes to garlic sticks, salad, soups, and everything else on the menu. So, instead of depriving myself of Olive Garden food, Ive created healthy copycat versions of my favorites.
- Souper cubes to freeze the soup into portions.
How To Make Lasagna Soup
- Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Once hot, crumble beef into pot, season with salt and pepper to taste and cook, stirring occasionally until browned.
- Drain fat from beef and set beef aside.
- Heat remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil in pot, add chopped yellow onion and saute until it begins to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add in garlic and saute 30 seconds longer.
- Pour in broth, diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste and herbs.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook pasta according to package instructions.
- In a mixing bowl, using a fork, stir together mozzarella, parmesan and ricotta.
- Add cooked pasta to soup and thin soup with a little more broth if desired. See notes below next photo.
- Stir together cheeses then serve soup with dollops of cheese.
Recommended Reading: Easy Sloppy Joe Recipe With Tomato Soup
Readers Thoughts Who Tried The Recipe
This is fantastic! I have made a lot of recipes in the IP that were either so so or disappointing. There are only a handful of recipes that I like. However this recipe was by far the best I have made in the IP. Pasta Fagioli soup is not my favorite soup, but after making this recipe, I think it might be my favorite.
How To Make Olive Garden Pasta E Fagioli Soup:
Brown and crumble ground beef. Drain excess grease.
Add all the ingredients to the slow cooker and stir.
Set slow cooker on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.
During the last 30 minutes or so of cooking, add in the pasta and stir.
Cooks Notes: Pasta likes to absorb a lot of the liquid so if you like your soup a bit more soupy, be prepared to have an extra can of beef broth handy. You can add it in towards the end. Also, another way to avoid this is to precook your pasta first and then add it in at the end.
Don’t Miss: Chicken And Minute Rice Casserole Campbells
Copycat Olive Garden Pasta E Fagioli
Who doesnt love Olive Garden? Everybody does, but not everybody can go whenever they want so this is a perfect way to bring the restaurant to your table. Italian cuisine is very popular, but not all Italian food is easy to make.
That is not the case with this soup. This is an all-in-one pot dish. Easy and fast, it only takes 30 minutes from start to finish and you can feed your family an Italian favorite.
Winters cold weather calls for hot and delicious food to warm not only your body but your heart as well, and this is a winner recipe for that. Soup season is officially here and this copycat Olive Garden Pasta e Fagioli has it all!
How To Make Pasta Fagioli:
Brown the ground beef in a large pot over medium high heat and drain any excess grease.
Add the olive oil, onions, carrots, celery, garlic, salt and pepper. Sauce over medium-high heat uncovered until the vegetables are tender .
Then add in the chicken broth, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, canned beans, Italian seasoning and thyme.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover with a lid and allow to simmer until all the veggies are soft .
Now it is time to stir in the uncooked pasta and cook uncovered for 9-12 minutes until the pasta is cooked to the tenderness that you desire.
Stir in the fresh parsley and serve warm topped with the parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
Don’t Miss: Knorr Leek Soup Dip
How Do I Make This Olive Garden Copycat Pasta E Fagioli Soup
This soup can be made on the stove top or Instant Pot.
Here are the step by step stove top directions:
Spray a large sauce pan or Dutch oven with non stick cooking spray. Add lean beef and cook for 5-7 minutes or until browned, stirring to break up meat.
Drain excess fat. Transfer meat to a bowl or plate.
In the same pan or Dutch oven, spray the pan again with non stick cooking spray.
Add onion, carrots, and celery cook and stir for 5 minutes or until veggies are tender.
Add garlic cook and stir for another minute.
Add cooked beef.
Then the broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce, vinegar, sugar, basil, salt, oregano, and thyme.
Broing to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low cover and simmer for at least 30 minutes.
Add pasta, kidney beans, cannellini beans cook over medium heat for 10 minutes or until pasta is tender.
Garnish with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
This soup will thicken as it cools and is meant to be very thick- more like a stew or chili-type soup.
You can add another 1-2 cups of broth to thin it out if its too thick once its cooled.
Pasta E Fagioli Recipe:
Hello everyone! Natalya here from Momsdish. Im so excited to share my copycat recipe for Olive Gardens Pasta e Fagioli with you. I believe this recipe tastes better than the restaurant version. You will love this soup!
This hearty soup is the perfect candidate for meal prepping. It only requires one pot to make and it reheats amazingly throughout the week. It is also super filling and healthy.
Don’t Miss: French Onion Roasted Potatoes
What Makes This A Copycat Olive Garden Pasta Fagioli
While there are numerous variations to making a homemade Pasta Fagioli soup recipe, I decided to go directly to the source to see what was in Olive Garden’s special recipe. According to the menu on the Olive Garden website, the ingredients in their soup include “white and red beans, ground beef, fresh tomatoes, and tubetti pasta in a savory broth.”
In order to make the most authentic copycat Olive Garden recipe, I used this list as a guideline to build the rest of the soup. I added a simple mirepoix to it, as well as oregano and thyme for flavor. The best “tubetti” pasta I could find easily at the grocery store was a box of ditalini, which is why I decided on that type specifically. And, of course, there’s minced garlic. Because what Italian recipe wouldn’t have it?
So here’s my take on an Olive Garden Pasta e Fagioli recipewith a special seal of approval from my Italian grandma.
Olive Garden Copycat Pasta E Fagioli Instant Pot Faqs
How do you keep pasta from over cooking in soup?
You can keep pasta from over cooking in soup by not cooking the pasta in the soup. Cook the pasta separately and keep the pasta and the soup separate. Mix the pasta while serving the soup.
What pasta is similar to Ditalini?
Small Macaroni pasta, small shell pasta are similar to ditalini.
What is the difference between Minestrone and Pasta e Fagioli?
The difference between Minestrone and Pasta e Fagioli is that Minestrone contains a lot of vegetables while an authentic Italian Pasta e Fagioli is only beans and pasta cooked in a light thin tomato broth. Todays recipe contains a few veggies but not a lot like Minestrone.
Also Check: Campbell’s Creamy Chicken And Rice
Instant Pot Olive Garden Pasta E Fagioli
A copycat recipe for Olive Gardens Pasta e Fagioli for the Instant Pot. Easy to make. Hearty and rich, perfect for a cold winter night.
Growing up, my favorite meals werent like other kids. Two of my absolute favorites, polenta and pasta e fagioli, werent evenly commonly known in the mid 1980sat least not in the area where I grew up.
Today you can find pasta e fagioli on the Olive Garden menu. And most folks have tried polenta, either creamy or grilled.
Heres where I state the obvious: the pasta e fagioli I ate growing up looked nothing like the one thats served at Olive Garden. The one my very frugal, immigrant grandmother made was simple. She combined great Northern beans and ditalini pasta in a thin, flavorful tomato sauce. Other than the tomatoes, onions, and garlic in her sauce, there were no additional vegetables. Her pasta e fagioli was a cross between a soup and a bowl of pasta. Meat was never, ever included.
The Olive Garden version includes meat andkidney beans.
Can we talk about kidney beans for a second? Ive always disliked them. I remember them as tough, gritty beans. To be honest, I dont think Ive eaten in years.
But when re-creating a recipe as beloved as this one, I dont futz around with it. I ordered a bowl of pasta e fagioli from the Olive Garden for pickup. I wasnt looking forward to trying itthats how much I dislike kidney beans.