How To Make Thomas Keller Easy Potato Soup
Easy Potato Soup. Put in a saucepan along with the onions and celery. Add water, but don’t quite cover the vegetables. Pour half-and-half and chicken broth into the saucepan.
In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally drain drippings. Add vegetables, seasonings and broth bring to a boil. Mix flour and milk until smooth stir into soup.
Hello everybody, hope youre having an amazing day today. Today, were going to make a special dish, easy potato soup. It is one of my favorites. This time, I am going to make it a little bit tasty. This will be really delicious.
Put in a saucepan along with the onions and celery. Add water, but don’t quite cover the vegetables. Pour half-and-half and chicken broth into the saucepan.
Easy Potato Soup is one of the most favored of current trending foods in the world. It is easy, it is quick, it tastes delicious. It is enjoyed by millions every day. They are fine and they look wonderful. Easy Potato Soup is something that I have loved my whole life.
To get started with this particular recipe, we have to first prepare a few components. You can have easy potato soup using 5 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
How To Make Easy Loaded Potato Soup
While the potatoes are cooking, you get all of the other stuff ready. Cook up bacon and then chop it. But dont discard the bacon fat. Its going to be central to this soup.
Most of the chopped bacon goes in with the potatoes and broth. Some stays out to use as a topping for the soup. The other toppings that you need to get ready are the shredded cheese and chopped green onions. Set all that aside for later on.
Now back to the bacon fat. Bacon fat is the SouperTip for this soup. Its the thing that makes this soup so delicious so quickly. What were going to do is use the fat to get bacony flavor all through the soup. But you dont just want to pour the fat into the soup. That would create a greasy layer on top. Ew.
Instead, you measure flour and water into a mason jar and then put on the lid and shake the beejeezees out of it. Add that to the bacon fat and heat it and stir until it gets thick. This bonds the fat to the flour. Now when you add it to the soup it blends in and doesnt separate out, resulting in soup with a nice non-greasy bacon flavor throughout. And that makes every bite taste like loaded baked potato.
Finally you ladle the soup into bowls and top them with the remaining chopped bacon, cheese, spring onions and sour cream. And then slide in. For more SOUPin15 easy soup recipes, click here.
Oh, and if you love potato soups, you should also check out this hearty tomato potato soup recipe.
- 4 Tbsp. sour cream or Greek yogurt
How To Make An Easy Potato Soup
- Cube potatoes. In a large pot , add the cubed potatoes and cover with water, season with salt and cook until the potatoes are tender, drain the potatoes and keep warm. TIP: You can keep the skin on the potatoes if you like.
- Meanwhile, cook your meat! Sauté the bacon until desired crispiness and remove from the Dutch oven, reserve about 1 Tbsp. TIP: You can substitute for cubed ham and skip the sautéing.
- Prepare the cream. Finely cube the onion, add to the reserved grease with butter and sauté until soft. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Vigorously, whisk in the flour and slowly pour in the milk and broth stirring until smooth.
- Add the cooked and drained potatoes to the soup, season with salt and pepper.
- Once the cream comes to a soft boil, stir in the sour cream, bacon, and cheese. Bring to a boil again and remove from heat.
Don’t Miss: Maggie And Mary’s Soup Mix
How To Make Our Potato Soup
In order to make sure you get the right consistency, you need to follow a few steps:
- First of all, dice and then sauté with the celery and the onion
- Then, add the diced potatoes and some broth. Let it cook until the potatoes are soft,
- Add your pasta and let it cook.
If you follow these easy steps, your easy homemade potato soup recipe will be amazing!
How To Make It Thicker
If you get to the point in your soup when after adding cream and pureeing it that it is still thin, then you should make a slurry and mix in it. here is how to do it:
Also Check: Campbell’s Tomato Soup Sloppy Joe Recipe
Delicious Ham And Potato Soup
Heat the oil in a 6-quart saucepot over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook for 3 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Step 2 Stir the broth, 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, cabbage, potato and ham in the saucepot and heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 30 minutes or until the potato is tender.
In a pan, saute the garlic, onion, carrots and celery in olive oil until theyre caramelized approx 5 minutes. Mix in the ham chunks and saute an additional 2 minutes. The add the caramelized veggies and ham to the pot of potatoes you have sitting on the side.
Mix celery, onion, potatoes, ham and water in a large pot. Bring to boil. Over medium flame, cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Instructions. Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the celery, carrots and garlic. Continue sautéing, for 4 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the flour until combined, and sauté for 1 more minute, stirring occasionally.
This Instant Pot ham soup recipe is about as perfect as a cool weather soup can get think “loaded baked potato in a bowl.” For a fun party meal, serve it with an assortment of toppings so guests can make the soup their own.
The Steps I Follow For This Soup
Making potato soup from scratch is simple, and it all happens in one pot! Heres an overview of how to make it .
There are two ways to serve this soup: brothy or thick and blended. We love both and making them is the same except for the last step. For a thick, luxurious, and blended soup use a potato masher or immersion blender to puree or mash about half of the potatoes in the soup to thicken it.
Don’t Miss: Is Campbell’s Well Yes Soup Healthy
Grandmothers Potato Soup Recipe
Soup and Stew 35 mins
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Potato Soup Recipe My Grandmother Verdies Potato Soup recipe makes an old-fashioned, easy, comforting soup recipe. Made with 5 ingredients and no heavy cream!
Soup always makes one of my favorite meals. Like our favorite vegetable soup and chicken and dumplings this is one of the soups that I grew up loving the most. Before there was such a thing as loading a potato soup with bacon, cheese, onions, my Grandmother Verdie made her potato soup very simply with potatoes, milk, butter, and salt and pepper. If my sister Wendy and I knew that Grandmother made this soup for supper, wed beg to be able to eat supper with her. With one bite, it is so easy to understand why!
Tips For Cheddar Broccoli Potato Soup
- This broccoli potato cheese soup will not ice up well as a result of the dairy products. If making beforehand, shop in the refrigerator for approximately 2 days.
- If you do not have cheddar, attempt utilizing an additional savory, great melting cheese such as Gruyere cheese.
- You can additionally utilize cauliflower rather than broccoli in this potato soup dish.
Also Check: Lipton Onion Soup Mix Nutrition Facts
The Ultimate Creamy Potato Soup
An easy and delicious creamy potato soup recipe that can be made in just one pot! Loaded with bacon and creamy potato goodness, this is a favorite comfort food in my household.
Something savory today!
Savory, creamy, and loaded with bacon, sour cream, and cheese. You guys already know that we dont exactly do health food around here, right?
Even when Im not sharing desserts, the food is always comfort food, and thats usually best served with extra cheese and usually comes with a few calories. Lets not think about that too much, alright?
I know I mentioned to you guys that I had this potato soup recipe for you back when I posted my Oreo Balls I made it when Zach had a bad cold and I havent stopped thinking about it since .
Zach prefers to eat healthy most of the time , so the soup was a good break from baked chicken breast, but this definitely isnt an every night kind of meal in our house.
Potato soup is definitely on the menu for this weekend, though its so frigid outside Ive convinced myself that I need soup, specifically creamy potato soup, to survive. Potato soup makes me dramatic, evidently.
If youre in the midst of a cold spell yourself I think youre going to enjoy this creamy potato soup as much as we do. Read on for some tips on how to make it!
What To Serve With Potato Soup:
In search of some facet dishes to serve with this potato soup recipe? Listed below are a couple of of my faves:
- On a regular basis Salad or Our Households Favourite Salad
- Good Roasted Brussels Sprouts or Roasted Asparagus
- Berry Fruit Salad or Winter Fruit Salad
This put up accommodates affiliate hyperlinks.
You May Like: Calphalon 4.5 Qt Soup Pot
How To Make Potato Leek Soup
Potato leek soup is simple to make, but first you have to deal with the leeks. Theyre notoriously sandy and dirty, and very good at hiding it, so be sure to wash them well. Start by cutting off and discarding the root ends and thick dark green parts. Cut the leeks in half lengthwise and rinse each half under cold water, pulling apart the layers to remove any grit thats tucked inside.
Once the leeks are clean, roughly chop them you should get about five cups of chopped leeks from four large leeks.
To make the soup, melt the butter in a large soup pot, then add the chopped leeks and garlic.
Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and wilted.
Next, add the potatoes, chicken broth, bay leaves, thyme, salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil.
Then cover, reduce the heat, and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
Fish out the bay leaves and thyme sprigs.
Then purée the soup with a hand-held immersion blender until smooth.
Finally, add the heavy cream. You can reduce the amount if youd like but I wouldnt leave it out completely. Cream makes the soup deliciously silky, rich, and smooth just add it little by little until the soup tastes good to you.
Bring to a simmer, then taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve hot, garnished with fresh thyme, chives, or anything you like.
Ingredients For This Old
- Russet potatoes this pantry staple breaks down into a creamy bowl of soup, Yukon golds are a great second choice
- Evaporated milk evaporated milk gives you the richness of heavy cream without all of the fat
- Whole milk dont use fat-free or 2% milk they dont hold up when you reheat the soup
- Unsalted butter this way you can control the salt, regular salted butter is a good substitute but it depends on what you have on hand
- White onion you can use yellow onions if that is what you have on hand, but I think the great flavors of chopped white onions are perfect for this recipe.
- Garlic juice you can use two or three teaspoons of finely minced fresh garlic if you desire fresh garlic is an easy substitution garlic juice
- Sea salt or kosher salt
- freshly cracked ground pepper
Also Check: Chicken Soup Canned Dog Food
Recipe Chef Notes + Tips
Make-Ahead: You can make this up to 2 days ahead of time but is perfect to serve up as soon as it is made.
How to Store: Cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 6 days. To freeze, cover, and keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator for up to 1 day before reheating.
How to Reheat: Add the desired amount to a medium-size pot and heat over low heat until hot. You may need to add a little water if it is too thick.
All About This Loaded Potato Soup Recipe:
- Simple ingredients: this recipe has all the classic ingredients, just punched up a bit!
- Make it as creamy as you want: control your consistency based on the ingredients you use and how much you want to blend the soup at the end.
- Perfect for family dinners: this is one of those recipes that everyone loves. How could they not? Itâs loaded up with all the toppings you would find on a baked potato.
Also Check: Potato Soup With Frozen Hash Browns
How Much Does A Batch Of Creamy Potato Soup Cost
Knowing how much a recipe costs to make, can help you to fit it into your meal planning and keep your food cost lower. Ive broken down how much this recipe will cost to make for you.
This recipe makes 4 average sized servings.
Below Ive given the price for just the amount of the item called for in the recipe. But I also give the price paid at the store for a package or per pound.
Potatoes $.30 /$1.99 for 10 pounds Onion $.10 /$1.99 for 15 pounds Milk $.16 /$2.59 for 1 Gallon Oil and Seasonings $.15 Cheese $.75
Which brings the cost of this whole recipe to $1.46. And just $.37 a serving. That makes for quite a frugal lunch or dinner.
If you add in bacon at $2.99 for 12 ounces or a pound of sausage for $2.99 a pound that brings this recipe cost up to $4.45 for 4 serving or $1.11 as serving. Still not a bad deal.
How To Make Microwave Potato Soup In A Mug
Potato Soup for one? Coming right up. Heres what youre getting yourself into!
- In a large microwaveable mug, add your potatoes and water. Microwave for 3-4 min or until the potatoes are tender. TIP: Check on it halfway through and stir!
- Once cooked drain the cooking water.
- Into the potatoes, stir in the bacon, cheese, onions, and cornstarch. The cornstarch will thicken your soup. Stir in the stock and milk and season with salt and pepper.
- Place in the microwave and cook for 2 1/2 3 minutes or until it thickens and all of your ingredients have heated through. Cooking time is based on my 1200W microwave so your timing might vary. Always keep a close eye on your mug while in the microwave so it doesnt overflow or overcook.
- Serve topped with sour cream and some more sprinkles of bacon and chives.
Tips From The Betty Crocker Kitchens
- tip 1 A classic baking potato is the russet, which is one of the most starch-filled in the world of spuds. That starch is released as the potatoes cook in the broth, becoming part of the underpinning of a rich, thick soup.
- tip 2 Think outside of the bowl for serving up soup. Serve in mugs for an extra cozy feel, or hallow out a round loaf of bread to create a bread bowl.
- tip 3 Because of the millk and sour cream used in this recipe, it’s not a candidate for freezing.
- tip 4 A quick route to uniformly crisp pieces of bacon is to cut the slices crosswise into 1/2 inch pieces. Scrape them into the large skillet and fry them over medium heat until deeply golden brown.
Sign Up For My Recipes Here
Dan and I decided to go rogue for V-Day. No perfume or roses, no pressure either. We both had a crazy busy week and because we were traveling to Sacramento on Friday, we decided we’d do Valentine’s Day then.
That works, right?
So instead, I thought I’d make soup for dinner Thursday night. This is one of our favorites so I knew Dan would love it.
I was busy making soup and had it just about finished when Dan came home with dinner – a Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich. He said it’s no big deal, but I thought if I did this you wouldn’t have to cook, but it’s ok… we can eat soup instead.
Meanwhile, he was unwrapping the sandwich and put it on a plate. I took my half and enjoyed a big bite.
Soup and sandwich for dinner instead! Life is what happens when you’re busy planning, right?
The furry family comes out of the woodwork for this soup, can you see Sylvester sitting on the windowsill wishing he could get a bite?
One last picture of Mama’s little helper…..I’ve mentioned this before, but we have dogs & cats – it’s often challenging to take a picture with so many helpers nearby. Dudley was just dying for a taste! This picture is too cute not to share!
Don’t Miss: Campbell Soup Green Bean Casserole Recipe