Slow Cooker Pot Roast Recipe
1. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and brown roast.
2. Arrange carrots and potatoes in slow cooker. Top with roast and set aside.
3. Combine Lipton® Recipe Secrets® Onion Soup Mix with water in glass measuring cup. Add to skillet, scraping up any brown bits from bottom of pan. Add soup mixture to slow cooker. Cook covered on Low 8 to 10 hours or HIGH 4 to 6 hours. Remove roast and vegetables to serving platter.
4. Thicken gravy, if desired, by combining additional 1/4 cup water with 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour. Cook on HIGH 15 minutes or until thickened.
How To Make An Incredibly Tender Juicy And Flavorful Pot Roast In Your Slow Cooker With Just 3 Seasoning Packets
This easy slow cooker pot roast is made with just a few simple ingredients: beef roast, ranch seasoning mix, brown gravy mix, and a packet of dry Italian salad dressing. Simply throw everything into your crockpot and cook on low for about 5 hours. Add your optional vegetables and then continue cooking for a few more hours. Easy peasy!
What Cut Of Meat Is Best For Sunday Roast
Chuck roast is probably the best if you ask me, and pretty cheap too. If you want a bit leaner cut, but willing to spend more you could use a sirloin, top rump or fillet.
What is the most flavorful roast?
Rib eye roast is known to be the most popular. With some fat to make it tender and great flavor, its a great choice.
Do you have to brown a roast before putting it in the Crockpot?
It is not a must. Some prefer to have the outside browned with some olive oil in a pan on the stovetop before cooking, but to make prep quicker you can skip that step.
Should I turn roast in slow cooker?
This isnt necessary either. The steam and hot liquid will get the top and bottom just as tender. You can if you really think you must.
I do suggest using the combination of broth and beer for the most flavor possible. Those and the dry soup mix create the most amazing pot roast recipe.
Time needed: 8 hours.
Crockpot roast with onion soup mix
Place roast in slow cooker with potatoes, carrots and onion broken apart around it. In a bowl whisk together your broth and onion soup mix. Pour this on top of the roast, add beer now too.Sprinkle in pepper and garlic powder. Close your lid.
Secure lid on top and cook on low for 8 hours. When done remove meat and keep warm. It is not recommended to set to high heat for half the amount of time. Low and slow will keep it tender.
After meat has rested slice and serve with veggies and thick gravy on top.
Read Also: Crockpot Potato Soup Using Hashbrowns
What Order Do The Meat And Veggies Go Into The Crockpot
- Generally your root veggies like potatoes, onions, and carrots should go on the bottom of the slow cooker and the roast is put on top. This helps ensure your veggies don’t dry out and that they absorb the yummy flavor. However, sometimes they get mushy. If you don’t like that then place them on top of the roast and, half an hour or so before you serve, give them a bit of a stir to be sure they get coated in the liquid.
Reasons Youll Love This Recipe
- Dump and go Just add the ingredients to the slow cooker and turn it on thats it!
- The crockpot does all the work This easy slow cooker recipe cooks all day while you work! Get ready for your house to smell amazing when you walk in the door.
- Crowd pleaser Make this for game day or your next family Sunday dinner everyone loves it!
- It can be an all-in-one meal this recipe doesnt include potatoes or vegetables, but it can! Ill give some suggestions below.
- Make-ahead There are a few ways to add this pot roast into your meal prep rotation. Keep reading for my favorite tips.
- Freezer-friendly Dont worry about leftovers because this juicy shredded beef freezes and reheats beautifully.
Don’t Miss: Lipton Onion Pot Roast
How To Make Pot Roast:
Sear meat: Heat a large large skillet over medium-high heat. Season roast with salt and pepper, generously, on all sides. Add oil to the pot and once hot, add the meat, Sear, cooking the meat until browned on the bottom, then rotating it every few minutes until browned on all sides. Place meat in the bottom of a lightly greased slow cooker .
Add sauce: Stir together the cream of soup mixture and dry onion soup seasoning in a bowl. Pour mixture over the meat in the slow cooker.
Cook covered on LOW for 8-10 hours. If adding veggies, add them 1.5 2 hours before the timer is up.
More Pot Roast Recipes
- Theres nothing quite as classic and easy as Slow Cooker Pot Roast. Our version of this popular recipe yields tender and delicious beef thats perfect for tonights dinner!
- If youre looking for a tasty, fall-apart-tender roast beef recipe thats juicy as all get-out, check out our Slow Cooker Mississippi Pot Roast. Serve over mashed potatoes- no gravy needed, not with all the juices from this amazing roast!
Recommended Reading: Chicken Broccoli Casserole Campbells
What Are The Easiest Crock
Whether you’re away at work all day or you’re just a busy stay-at-home parent who spends your days taking care of kids and chores, you will always have days when cooking a meal is the last thing you want to do. Days like those call for the magic of Crock-Pot cooking. It’s hard to beat the simplicity of adding some ingredients to a Crock-Pot and turning your attention to other things while dinner makes itself. That’s really all it takes to make a delicious one-step meal for the entire family.
Not only does cooking in a Crock-Pot make it easier to get dinner on the table, but it also helps tenderize meats by cooking them at a low temperature for a longer period of time. This cooking method also adds more flavor to your food and allows you to cook practically anything, from a pot roast to a delicious dessert. Literally thousands of slow cooker recipes are available for home cooks to try, but these five delicious options certainly deserve a spot in your dinner rotation.
How To Cook Pot Roast In Oven With Onion Soup Mix
Not too long ago, I posted out the recipes I have on my site that were made with Liptons Onion Soup Mix. Or rather, my Homemade Onion Soup Mix recipe. There were quite a few more recipes than I thought but there was one glaring omission. Ive never posted it because its so easy, its hardly a recipe. Its that Old Lipton Onion Soup Pot Roast Recipe from the 60s.
Yep, That Old Lipton Onion Soup Pot Roast Recipe is the pot roast my Grandma made, my Mom made and that I make, too. Its a kind of no-brainer make the pot roast and get it in the oven or the slow cooker and forget about it kinda meal. The best pot roast ever for any fall or winter day!
About That Old Lipton Onion Soup Pot Roast Recipe:
Now and then I get asked, Whats American food? And by that, I dont think people mean food recipes that morphed into being here in the States. It seems theyre more curious about what the average American eats. Everyone probably has a different answer, depending on where theyre from. For me, the thing that comes to mind first, being from the Midwest, is pot roast. And specifically, this recipe.
Im talking about a chuck roast, browned and slowly braised in the oven till fork tender and just about falling apart. And you cant have pot roast without those golden brown and delicious potatoes and chunky carrots that are so well seasoned from braising in that broth they dont even taste like carrots anymore.
Don’t Miss: Lipton Onion Soup Hamburger Recipe
How To Make Pot Roast With Onion Soup Mix In The Instant Pot
First, I like to cut the chuck roast into 3 large pieces. I do this whenever I make Instant Pot chuck roast, Instant Pot Mississippi roast and most Instant pot roasts. Cutting the meat shortens the cook time and makes it a lot easier to brown the meat.
Next, for maximum flavor, you can sear the roast on all sides. I usually do this step.
But, I did not sear the meat this time because I wanted this pot roast recipe to be as easy as possible. And, usually on busy weeknights, I want to get dinner on the table as soon as possible.
You really will get plenty of extra flavor from the dry onion soup and beef broth, but it’s up to you. So, just use your best judgement here.
Place the cut up chuck roast directly on the bottom of the pot. I used a 6 quart, and it fit easily. Then, sprinkle garlic powder and about half of the dry soup mix over the meat.
Next, add your beef broth and Worcestershire sauce around the sides of the meat. Then, place your baby potatoes, carrots and celery on top of the meat.
Layering the vegetables will keep them out of the liquid, and they won’t get too soggy when cooking. Now, sprinkle the remaining onion soup over the vegetables. We want to add flavor to every layer here.
Note — If you want firmer carrots, use about 4 or 5 regular carrots — peel them and cut them up into large chunks. Baby carrots get soft, but we like them that way.
For A Bit Of Extra Flavor Try Adding In:
- Worcestershire sauce. Just a bit goes a long way in adding depth of flavor. Try using about a tablespoon the first time.
- Garlic powder. I love adding a bit of garlic powder to the soup mixture to amp up the garlic flavor.
- Beef broth. Use part of a can of beef broth for the water for added flavor.
- Red wine. Or, a great substitute for the water is red wine. The alcohol helps break down the meat even better!
Read Also: Can You Have Tomato Soup On Keto Diet
Ingredients For Slow Cooker Pot Roast:
- Dry Onion Soup Mix. The best thing is that you can use whatever packet of onion soup mix you prefer and you’ll still get a flavorful roast.
- Beef Roast. A chuck roast is an inexpensive cut of meat that becomes super tender and flavorful after hanging out in the CrockPot all day. Best of all, if you make a big one you will have yummy leftovers!
- Water. For extra flavor use beef broth instead of the ½ cup of water, if you have it.
- Cream of Mushroom soup. I like to make up a big batch of my Homemade Cream of Mushroom soup and use some for this recipe. But the red and white can works great!
- Carrots & red potatoes …optional. Use baby carrots to keep this easy and fast. Red potatoes are my favorite but my husband prefers golden potatoes. Both taste yummy if you feel like adding them.
Join The Amazing Crockpot Challenge
Each day youll get an email from me with a yummy new slow cooker recipe to try plus any relevant tips and tricks. Most of the recipes are only available via email and can’t be found on the site. I like to treat my email subscribers special!
- Optional: onions or carrots. Slice and add in with the potatoesif you like.
Read Also: Does Onion Soup Mix Go Bad
Did You Make This Recipe
What to do with the leftovers from That Old Lipton Onion Soup Pot Roast Recipe:
Ill be sharing That Old Lipton Onion Soup Pot Roast Recipe at Fiesta Friday #242, cohosted this week by and Youre going to love all the bloggers that share their best recipes of the week at Fiesta Friday but do drop by and see Jhuls. Youre going to love each creative recipe and take a sec to stop by and see Jen. Shes going to have you in stitches with a helping of her real-life stories along with each recipe.
How To Make Perfect Slow Cooker Pot Roast
Place 4 lb Chuck Roast in Slow Cooker. I used my Casserole Slow Cooker, a regular standard slow cooker will work fine.
Salt and Pepper to taste.
TIP: You may be asking Why a chuck roast?. Thats a really great question. See all the beautiful marbling in the piece of Roast pictured below? That marbling will make the roast tender as it reduces down during cooking time. It also infuses the meat with amazing flavor.
Sprinkle the top of the roast with One envelope of Beefy Onion Lipton Soup Mix.
Now this next part might be where some of you disagree with my preparation of this dish. I know a lot of you prefer to add your vegetables about 2 hours before serving. Thats okay, Im not offended.
I just need a true dump and go dish at this Nest on Sundays. I need a meal that is ready in about 5 minutes after we walk in the door from church. So, I add my carrots and potatoes right from the get-go!
Youd think my bunch had been placed in a starvation camp during church. They seriously come home ravenous! Its totally insane! If they just carried chocolates in their purse like I dololokay that may not work for the men in the family!
Add one can of Beef Broth to bottom of the pan. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours!
Sunday, after church, when you pull into the garage, the family can break into a combined unified chorus of Mmmmmmmms!
Recommended Reading: Chicken Rice Broccoli Cheese Casserole Campbells
Instant Pot Pot Roast:
Cut roast in half. Season as directed. Using the sauté setting, sear the roast in the Instant Pot with oil on all sides. Take meat out, deglaze the pot, add 1 cup of beef broth, and return the roast. Pour sauce mixture on top and cook on high pressure for 60-80 minutes , or until tender. Allow a 15 minute natural pressure release.
Slow Cooker Pot Roast With Onion Soup Mix
This Slow Cooker Pot Roast with Onion Soup Mixis so much more than a regular pot roast. It uses a homemade french onion soup mix thats beyond easy to throw together. Then just rub it all over the chuck roast, add some beef broth and Worcestershire sauce, and set it and forget it! By the end of the busy workday, youll come home to a delicious pot roast that you can use in a variety of ways. Trust me your family will want this to be a regular rotation on the meal plan!
This post contains affiliate links. I am an affiliate for Amazon Associates and other brands and earn a small commission on qualifying purchases. Youre by no means obligated to use my links but, if you do, thank you for supporting Organize Yourself Skinny.
Im always seeking out slow cooker recipes that can cook all day and also totally comfort me at the same time. Its also a requirement that my house smells fantastic with the aromas of whats for dinner.
This slow cooker pot roast with onion soup mix recipe checks all of those boxes and more!
Read Also: Potato Soup With Frozen Hash Browns
Easy Crock Pot Roast Lipton Onion Soup Mix Recipe
In Roast Beef
Crock pot roast Lipton onion soup mix in a slow cooker pot roast that you only need to prepare five ingredients and water. Even you can replace vegetables that you have or remove it at all. You can start with a lean beef chuck roast for this recipe or you can use a cut of beef with the pot roast on the label. You should know that chuck roast and rump roast are the best choices for slow braising. You can get crock pot roast Lipton onion soup mix ingredients below.
Thanks to the slow cooking method and the soup that makes your roast beef will be moister and tender as well. You do not need to brown your roast in advance since this recipe has plenty of favors thanks to the onion soup mix.
Making a crock pot roast Lipton onion soup mix recipe
- 2 cups of baby carrots, optional
- 3 to 4 pounds of lean beef chuck roast or pot roast labeled roast
- 2 cans of condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 2 pounds of fresh potatoes, cut them into 2-inch chunks
- 1 ½ cups of water
- 1 ounce of dry onion soup mix
Featured In 4 Easy Slow Cooker Dinners
This slow cooker pot roast only takes six ingredients to make thanks to a packet of onion soup mix. It gives the roast a ton of flavor without a ton of work, and no one will even know its there. The best part? You just dump everything into the slow cooker, walk away for a few hours, and dinner practically cooks itself. Serve it over egg noodles or rice and dinner is good to go.
Also Check: Lipton Soup Potatoes