What Makes This A Copycat Olive Garden Pasta Fagioli
While there are numerous variations to making a homemade Pasta Fagioli soup recipe, I decided to go directly to the source to see what was in Olive Garden’s special recipe. According to the menu on the Olive Garden website, the ingredients in their soup include “white and red beans, ground beef, fresh tomatoes, and tubetti pasta in a savory broth.”
In order to make the most authentic copycat Olive Garden recipe, I used this list as a guideline to build the rest of the soup. I added a simple mirepoix to it, as well as oregano and thyme for flavor. The best “tubetti” pasta I could find easily at the grocery store was a box of ditalini, which is why I decided on that type specifically. And, of course, there’s minced garlic. Because what Italian recipe wouldn’t have it?
So here’s my take on an Olive Garden Pasta e Fagioli recipewith a special seal of approval from my Italian grandma.
Why This Recipe Works:
- Using just one pot this is an easy to make and clean up dinnertime meal.
- This make a large batch, enough to feed a whole family.
- With minimal steps, this soup is quick and easy to whip up for something comforting and fast.
We are a huge soup family. Its one of those recipes that we come to more often than not because soup is usually easy to whip up and comforting and thats pretty much what we are all about around here.
Comfort and ease is what we like and what we usually stick with when it comes to cooking, especially when it comes to this Pasta e Fagioli Soup!
Breadstick Ingredients And Possible Substitutes
- All-purpose flour preferably use unbleached for best flavor. Bread flour will work great too.
- Active dry yeast instant yeast or even rapid rise yeast will work . If using either of those then you dont need to proof first, just mix in with dry ingredients, blend with wet ingredients.
- Granulated sugar this just every so lightly sweetens up the breadsticks so they dont taste so one dimensional. Honey can be substituted, though youll only need 1 1/2 Tbsp.
- Salt dont forget this or theyll taste as bland as can be. Its amazingly what salt does for a recipe. Table salt or fine sea salt will work.
- Vegetable oil to make them more authentic Italian breadsticks use olive oil. Canola oil will work fine here too.
- Butter if you want to make these vegan then go with a vegan butter.
- Garlic powder this makes the perfect garlic breadsticks. For fresher garlic flavor you could press 1 garlic clove through a garlic crusher, mix with 2 Tbsp melted butter, strain garlic for a milder flavor if preferred then brush butter over breadsticks. Alternately theyd be delicious with a sautéed or roasted garlic butter.
Recommended Reading: Annie Chun’s Pho Soup Bowl
How Do I Make This Olive Garden Copycat Pasta E Fagioli Soup
This soup can be made on the stove top or Instant Pot.
Here are the step by step stove top directions:
Spray a large sauce pan or Dutch oven with non stick cooking spray. Add lean beef and cook for 5-7 minutes or until browned, stirring to break up meat.
Drain excess fat. Transfer meat to a bowl or plate.
In the same pan or Dutch oven, spray the pan again with non stick cooking spray.
Add onion, carrots, and celery cook and stir for 5 minutes or until veggies are tender.
Add garlic cook and stir for another minute.
Add cooked beef.
Then the broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce, vinegar, sugar, basil, salt, oregano, and thyme.
Broing to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low cover and simmer for at least 30 minutes.
Add pasta, kidney beans, cannellini beans cook over medium heat for 10 minutes or until pasta is tender.
Garnish with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
This soup will thicken as it cools and is meant to be very thick- more like a stew or chili-type soup.
You can add another 1-2 cups of broth to thin it out if its too thick once its cooled.
Instant Pot Olive Garden Pasta E Fagioli Soup Copycat
This post may contain affiliate links, please see our disclosure policy for details.
This Instant Pot Olive Garden Pasta e Fagioli Soup is a delicious copycat recipe. Its great for busy weeknights or a cozy winter weekend meal.
This recipe makes six servings for about $10.84. That works out to be just $1.80 per serving. Whip up a batch of our 1-Hour French Bread to dip into this yummy soup.
Also Check: Lipton Onion Soup Pot Roast
Copycat Olive Garden Pasta E Fagioli
Who doesnt love Olive Garden? Everybody does, but not everybody can go whenever they want so this is a perfect way to bring the restaurant to your table. Italian cuisine is very popular, but not all Italian food is easy to make.
That is not the case with this soup. This is an all-in-one pot dish. Easy and fast, it only takes 30 minutes from start to finish and you can feed your family an Italian favorite.
Winters cold weather calls for hot and delicious food to warm not only your body but your heart as well, and this is a winner recipe for that. Soup season is officially here and this copycat Olive Garden Pasta e Fagioli has it all!
Olive Garden Pasta E Fagioli Soup
- 2TbspOlive Oil
- 1LbGround Beef or Sausage
- 1SmallYellow Onion
- 3CupLow Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1CanTomato Sauce
- 1CanDiced Tomatoes
- 1TbspItalian Seasoning
- 1CupDitalini Pasta
- 1CanGreat Northern Beans , Drained & Rinsed
- 1CanKidney Beans , Drained & Rinsed
- Sea Salt
- Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- Minced Parsley
Don’t Miss: Le Creuset Cast Iron Soup Pot
Can You Freeze Pasta E Fagioli Soup
Absolutely! While soups with pasta in them usually arent recommended for freezing since the pasta doesnt hold up well to the reheating process you can still do it.
There are two options, you can cook the soup according to the instructions and then cool completely before placing in freezer bags or containers and freezing all together.
Or you can make the soup and freeze without the pasta, when reheating the soup to serve, boil another batch of pasta and stir in then, this will make sure that you have al dente and not mushy pasta.
This is one of those soup recipes that we like to keep frozen a lot of the times because my kids love it, my husband loves it and I love it. We are lucky to have less than picky eaters over here.
Olive Garden Copycat Pasta E Fagioli Instant Pot Faqs
How do you keep pasta from over cooking in soup?
You can keep pasta from over cooking in soup by not cooking the pasta in the soup. Cook the pasta separately and keep the pasta and the soup separate. Mix the pasta while serving the soup.
What pasta is similar to Ditalini?
Small Macaroni pasta, small shell pasta are similar to ditalini.
What is the difference between Minestrone and Pasta e Fagioli?
The difference between Minestrone and Pasta e Fagioli is that Minestrone contains a lot of vegetables while an authentic Italian Pasta e Fagioli is only beans and pasta cooked in a light thin tomato broth. Todays recipe contains a few veggies but not a lot like Minestrone.
Don’t Miss: Campbell’s Gluten Free Soups
What To Serve With Pasta E Fagioli
Soup can be made into so many meals.
Before your main dish, as your main dish or a side to your main dish!
So many options. With all these options a classic side salad and breadsticks are always a MUST.
We love to dip our breadsticks in the soup and enjoy the broth just as much as we love the vegetables and combined ingredients.
How To Make Chicken And Gnocchi Soup:
- Saute vegetables: Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot and celery and sauté 6 minutes, add garlic sauté 1- 2 minutes longer.
- Add broth and seasoning: Pour in broth, add rosemary, thyme, nutmeg and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- If using raw chicken breasts add them now : Add in chicken breasts and bring soup to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and allow to simmer until chicken is cooked through , about 8 12 minutes.
- Make roux: Meanwhile, while chicken is cooking, melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add flour, cook and stir constantly 1 minute.
- Make béchamel sauce: While whisking vigorously pour in milk then continue to whisk vigorously to smooth any lumps. Season with salt and pepper to taste.While whisking constantly, cook until mixture thickens. Stir in cream, remove from heat.
- Shredded chicken: Once chicken in soup has cooked through remove chicken from soup and allow chicken to rest 5 minutes then dice or shred into pieces .
- Cook gnocchi: Add gnocchi to broth mixture, cover and simmer for recommend time directed on package, about 5 minutes.
- Add white sauce to soup: Reduce soup mixture to low heat, stir milk mixture into broth mixture.
- Stir in cooked chicken and spinach: Add in cooked chicken and spinach. Cook until spinach wilts, about 1 minute.
- Finish with cheese if desired: Serve warm with Romano cheese if desired.
You May Like: Lipton Dry Onion Soup Mix Rice
Can You Freeze Pasta E Fagioli
Yep- with some adjustments. Pasta doesnt freeze well. Instead of adding the pasta to the entire bowl, as instructed, add it to each bowl before you serve. This way when you freeze the leftovers, none of the pasta will be frozen. When you re-heat the soup just add a new batch of pasta to avoid mushy pasta.
Storing Pasta E Fagioli
Store soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will keep for up to 5 days. The kicker? This soup tastes better and better as it marinates in the fridge. Yes, that means your leftovers will get tastier as the days go by! To reheat your soup, simply microwave it or bring it to a simmer in a pot over medium-high heat.
Recommended Reading: Campbell Soup Green Bean Casserole Recipe
How To Freeze It
This easy soup is great for freezing. You can make the soup without the pasta and freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. To reheat your soup, simply thaw to room temperature and then bring to a boil. Add the pasta and cook to al dente.
If you have leftovers, you can freeze them, as well. Your pasta will be a little more tender and you may need to add an extra 1 cup of chicken stock to make it more broth-y since the pasta will continue to absorb the liquid the longer it sits.
We LOVE these Souper containers for freezing soups in portion sizes. Theyre now a workhorse in our kitchen for so many things.
Tips For The Best Breadsticks
- If yeast doesnt bubble up with the 10 minute rest then its gone bad, toss it and start with new yeast .
- Be sure to allow dough and shaped breadsticks enough time to rise so theyre fluffy.
- If you want them more golden brown on top you can move oven rack up one level.
- Be careful to just bake through so they arent doughy and not too long or theyll be dry.
- Serve warm! Breadsticks are always best warm. If you need to reheat then wrap in foil and heat in a 325 degree oven until warm, about 5 minutes.
Also Check: How Do You Make Miso Soup
Pressure Cook Pasta E Fagioli
Now, add the rest of the ingredients like the tomatoes, pasta and the beans. Give eveything in the pot a quick stir. Cancel the SAUTE function and PRESSURE COOK on HIGH for just 4 minutes followed by a quick pressure release.
Open the lid carefully, stir the Pasta e Fagioli soup, check for seasoning, add more salt and crushed black pepper if you feel like adding.
You can also control the consistency of the soup at this point, add more stock if you prefer a thinner soup.
How To Convert To Cinnamon Sugar Breadsticks
Looking for a sweet dessert breadstick recipe rather than savory? The recipe will be easy to convert.
Read Also: Frozen Soup Bones For Dogs
How To Make It
Eat This, Not That!
How To Make Pasta E Fagioli
Don’t Miss: Campbell’s Chunky Soup Walmart
Gluten Free Pasta E Fagioli
Gluten Free Pasta e Fagioli is hearty, filling, easy, and inexpensive to make. This soul-satisfying soup recipe is pure comfort food!
This post may contain affiliate links.
With summer in the rearview mirror and cooler temps upon us, it feels fitting to share the comforting recipe for Gluten Free Pasta e Fagioli with you today. This rustic soup is warming, filling, healthy, and feeds an army too!
What Is Pasta E Fagioli Soup
This Italian soup literally means pasta and beans so thats what youll find in this dish, along with ground beef, Italian seasonings in a rich tomato based broth. Pasta E Fagioli is very similar to another hearty favorite, minestrone. The difference between these two soups is minestrone uses several different veggies and Pasta e Fagioli features onion, celery and carrots for flavor, but no other vegetables.
Don’t Miss: Potato Soup With Frozen Hash Browns
Easy Pasta E Fagioli Soup Recipe
A super easy, quick copycat recipe, this Olive Garden Pasta e Fagioli recipe is hearty, comforting one pot meal. Simple pasta and beans are simmered in a thick, savory tomato sauce with ground beef making this a favorite dish for the whole family.
This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and love.
Ahhhh, comfort food. The cravings are coming in droves and I cant get enough of it. But when it comes to ordering take out, Id rather make my own. Olive Garden has my heart but right now Im staying in and making my favorites like Baked Tortellini al Forno and this Olive Garden Pasta e Fagioli soup.
Its super hearty because its packed with beans and, unlike traditional Pasta Fagioli, savory ground beef. Its the most comforting one pot dinner to come out of my kitchen lately and its insanely easy to make in about 30 minutes from start to finish.
How To Make Olive Garden Pasta E Fagioli Soup
- Step 1. In a large pot over medium heat, cook ground beef until no pink is showing
- Step 2. Once the beef is cooked, add onions, carrots, celery, and garlic
- Step 3. Next, add the tomato sauce, beef broth, the canned petite diced tomatoes, ½ cup of water, basil, oregano, salt and pepper
- Step 4. Bring this to a boil and let simmer for 5-6 minutes. Add the ditalini pasta and cook for 10 minutes more or until the vegetables and pasta are cooked
- Step 5. Stir in the kidney and cannellini beans and cook until these are heated through.Check the seasoning and add more water if you want a thinner soup.
- Step 6. Make sure everything is well combined and beans are hot. Serve with grated Parmesan cheese.
You May Like: Bean Soup Diet Weight Loss
Olive Garden Soup Pasta Fagioli Recipe
1. Brown the ground beef in a large saucepan or pot over medium heat. Drain off most of the fat. 2. Add onion, carrot, celery and garlic and saute for 10 minutes. 3. Add remaining ingredients, except pasta, and simmer for 1 hour. 4. About 50 minutes into the simmering, cook the pasta in 1 1/2 to 2 quarts of boiling water over high heat.
The BEST Pasta e Fagioli Soup! And yes, its alike bigger than Olive Gardens!. This Italian appearance soup is loaded with affable arena beef, beginning vegetables, buttery beans, breakable pasta and adorable herbs all in a affluent and agreeable broth.
What You Need To Make Pasta E Fagioli
So many ingredients but so much flavor in all of them!
You will love the combination of vegetables to beans and pasta.
This is a thick, rich and hearty soup that is loved by all.
Every bite is loaded with lean meat, vegetables, beans and pasta.
You cant go wrong enjoying this soup during the fall season.
- Extra virgin olive oil: adds a hint of seasoning and liquid in the mix.
- Ground beef: the leaner the better.
- Carrots: freshly peeled and sliced. Can carrots are little too mushy when simmering for a long period of time.
- Celery stalks: sliced and diced to your preference.
- Onion: I like to dice these up a little smaller for kids.
- Crushed tomatoes: canned are best and some cans have extra seasonings which adds more flavor.
- Beef broth: flavor that is in the liquid.
- Bay leaves: always a fun seasoning to add into soups.
- Oregano: brings more aromatic seasoning to the soup.
- Dried basil: a little peppery but has a strong and sweet smell and taste.
- Dried thyme: subtle and a little dry.
- Salt and pepper: to taste
- Cannelloni beans: drained and rinsed
- Red kidney beans: drained and rinsed
- Ditalini pasta: uncooked pasta that is added at the end.
Read Also: How To Make Delicious Soup