Chicken Noodle Soup Ingredients
This Chicken Noodle Soup calls for traditional ingredients and a slight twist on the seasonings.
- Chicken: The secret to super tender chicken without crazy long cooking times is using chicken thighs! You can use boneless or bone-in chicken. Thighs also provide extra flavor and dont dry out like chicken breast does.
- Broth: Our Homemade Chicken Broth is a delicious addition to this soup and provides a rich flavor. However, if you are in a pinch a low-sodium store-bought broth can work.
- Vegetables: Onions and celery sauteed together provide the traditional base for chicken noodle soup flavor. Diced carrots are another traditional vegetable. You can also add any other fresh or frozen veggies you would like.
- Seasonings: Dill and freshly-pressed garlic brighten the flavor palette and I love adding Mrs. Dash .
Pro Tip: When sauteing ingredients for soups, use oil in the pan instead of butter. Butter will solidify when you refrigerate the soup.
The Benefits Of Homemade Broth
Homemade Chicken Broth adds a richness of flavor to any soup that cannot be beaten. Our Chicken Bone Broth is nutrient-dense and can help to improve overall health. When you cook the homemade broth in an instant pot you can have this liquid gold in about 2 hours. It also makes all the difference in how good your soup tastes.
Prepare Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup Homemade
Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup. Try Creating A Classic Tortilla Soup At Home W/ An Easy Recipe From McCormick®. Finely chop onions, celery and carrots. Place chopped vegetables in large saucepan with chicken breasts and water.
Combine flour and remaining milk until smooth add to soup, stirring constantly. A hearty and comforting creamy chicken noodle soup that’ll keep you cozy all night long. This soup is so easy to put together and is always a big hit with the family.
Are you attempting to make the swap to a more healthy tradition yet just cannot appear to get the total family on board with you? Is the family uninterested in an identical historic dinner ruts, prepared for something new, exciting, and filling? Natural and organic chicken recipes are a very good choice for those who are trying to devour healthily without giving up the complete flavor. Examine on for just a few thoughts on a way to utilize every piece of chicken you buy.
Try Creating A Classic Tortilla Soup At Home W/ An Easy Recipe From McCormick®. Finely chop onions, celery and carrots. Place chopped vegetables in large saucepan with chicken breasts and water.
To get started with this recipe, we must prepare a few components. You can cook creamy chicken noodle soup using 16 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it. Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
Also Check: Lipton Beefy Onion Soup Mix Ingredients
Easy Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
This homemade chicken noodle soup recipe is wonderfully quick and easy, made from scratch with pantry staples. Its classic comfort food in a bowl and like a warm hug from your grandma. Perfect on a chilly night, when you dont feel good, or just want something delicious!
Is there anything that defines comfort food more than chicken noodle soup? Other than chocolate chip cookies and pot roast, I say not really. This homemade chicken noodle soup recipe is my go-to when a family member is sick, I need something quick and easy for dinner, or I just want to curl up with a warm bowl of love.
Chicken Noodle Soup With Homemade Noodles
This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
If you want a dinner that is the ultimate comfort food, Chicken Noodle Soup with Homemade Noodles is the clear winner. Filled with chicken, carrots, celery, and loads of homemade noodles, this recipe is easier to make than you think!
Chicken Noodle Soup with Homemade Noodles is our latest obsession. Its savory, mild in flavor but still delicious and simple to make. My Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup is also on the delicious list, as is my Classic Chicken Noodle Soup recipe, minus the homemade noodles. Both are great options when you dont have time to make your egg noodles from scratch. But, if you do happen to have the time, it is so so worth it and easier to make than you think.
Recommended Reading: Frozen Soup Bones For Dogs
How To Make Homemade Noodles
I assure you making homemade noodles is not as complicated as I might have made it seem, plus if you dont want to make egg noodles from scratch, these frozen Homestyle Egg Noodles from Reames are a great substitute. I havent been able to find them anywhere here in NYC, so I started making them at home instead.
How To Make This Easy Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
Heat oil in a large soup potor Dutch oven.
Add the diced carrots and celery and cook for about 3 or 4 minutes or until the vegetables begin to soften, stirring occasionally.
Stir in the salt and pepper.
Now stir in the noodles and cook for about 8 minutes.
One of the things that make this the best homemade chicken noodle soup is that I doubled the noodles for a more hearty meal.
Remove from the heat and allow the noodles to continue soaking up the liquid until the noodles are tender.
Serve hot with crackers if you like.Print the full recipe below.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator and serve for lunch the next day.
Don’t Miss: Best Soup For Kidney Disease
What Is In Chicken Noodle Soup
The ingredients in this soup are simple: chicken, carrots, celery, onions, noodles, broth, and herbs.
- CHICKEN: You can use rotisserie chicken or cook your own from chicken breasts or thighs.
- BROTH: The chicken broth is the base of this soup. I like to use Better than Bouillon Base because of its rich flavor. You could make your own homemade chicken broth if you want.
- VEGETABLES: Carrots, celery, and onion are the classic veggies in chicken noodle soup. Feel free to add your own.
- NOODLES: Homemade egg noodles do not take that long and take this soup to the next level! If youre running short on time, store bought egg noodles will work.
What You Need To Make Chicken Noodle Soup
This chicken noodle soup is just what you are needing this winter season.
Loads of flavor, easy to make and simple ingredients!
Who doesnt love a good chicken noodle soup recipe?!
This is a tried and true soup that will carry on a great tradition and will never let you down.
It is not lacking any flavor and still has simple ingredients that are right in your pantry.
This chicken noodle soup is made with pure love and will comfort your soul, it is that good!
Everything is so simple to throw together and perfect for that left over chicken.
Simply add in a rotisserie chicken, shredded apart or any left over chicken that you may have from leftovers.
It is that easy and so good!
- Olive oil: great for sautéing your vegetables and making sure they dont stick.
- Carrots: sliced up as thick as you prefer.
- Celery: diced up as thick as you like.
- Onion: sliced and diced into cubes.
- Garlic: added flavoring.
Also Check: Can You Have Tomato Soup On Keto Diet
Make Ahead And Freezing Instructions:
To make ahead: This soup is best made ahead of time when you are using homemade egg noodles, since they dont get soggy and overcooked like regular store bought noodles. If you wanted to use regular noodles, I recommend making the broth first, and then boiling it with the noodles, and adding the chicken, the day of serving.
To store: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days, depending on the freshness of the chicken used.
To freeze: Allow the soup to cool completely and store it in a freezer safe container for 2-3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge, or over medium heat on the stove. If using store bought noodles I would suggest undercooking the noodles before freezing the soup, to avoid them getting soggy upon reheating.
Follow me for more great recipes
Can I Freeze Chicken Noodle Soup
Absolutely! Thats actually one of my favorite aspects of this soup. It makes a big batch, so I always freeze about half of it for those days when Im really under the weather. A quick reheat in the microwave or in a pot and this soup instantly makes me feel better. To freeze this soup, first divide it into single portions, make sure it is chilled completely in the refrigerator, then transfer it to the freezer, for up to about three months.
You May Like: Cream Of Chicken Soup Recipes With Rice
The Difference Between Chicken Stock And Chicken Broth
- Stock is made with chicken or other animal bones . It has a long simmer time.
- Broth uses mostly meat and has a shorter cook time.
- As a result, stock has a slightly fuller flavor, and I even think the texture is a little richer.
- Broth is a bit less expensive, and you can find more options for it in the grocery store.
Chicken Soup With A Whole Chicken
Chicken isnt one of my favorite meats to work with, but for some reason when I buy a whole chicken and boil it down for that delicious fork-tender meat, it isnt so bad. This homemade chicken noodle soup starts with a whole chicken, about 4-5 pounds. I find whole chickens to be one of the cheapest ways to buy chicken. And the meat is soooo good because you get both that dark and white meat.
Stock up on those whole chickens when they are on sale. They are great for so many things!
**Pro Tip: Look for a chicken that is labeled roasting hen or stewing hen. They have more fat and will make a more flavorful broth.**
You May Like: Does Lipton Onion Soup Mix Go Bad
How To Store Reheat And Freeze Crock Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- To Store. Place cooked and cooled soup in an airtight storage container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To Reheat. Rewarm soup gently in a medium saucepan on the stove over medium-low heat until hot. You can also reheat the soup in a microwave-safe bowl in the microwave until warmed through.
- To Freeze. Store cooked and cooled soup in an airtight freezer-safe storage container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
How To Make The Best Chicken Stock Or Broth
Homemade chicken stock is easy to make. Use any part of the chicken whole chickens, bones, wings and legs are excellent options. Leftover bones from roasted chicken also work really well.
Here are three tips for making the best chicken stock at home:
- Add more or less chicken depending on how rich you want the stock. Our recipe below calls for 12 cups of water. For a light, but flavorful chicken stock, use about 4 pounds of chicken parts. For a rich ultra-flavorful stock, use about 8 pounds.
- Add plenty of aromatics. For the most flavorful stock, add chopped onion, carrots, celery and garlic to the stockpot as well as bay leaves, peppercorns and fresh herbs. Other vegetables like fennel and leek are excellent to add.
- Keep the stock at a gentle simmer. By keeping the stock at a low simmer while it cooks, we help keep the stock as clear as possible.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: This ultra-flavorful chicken tortilla soup is thickened with corn tortillas and has shredded chicken, ancho chili powder, corn and lime. Jump to the Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe.
Recipe updated, originally posted October 2010. Since posting this in 2010, we have tweaked the recipe to be more clear. Adam and Joanne
Recommended Reading: Souped Up Golf Carts For Sale
Variations Of Chicken Noodle Soup
I love my chicken noodle soup simple and complete with just a few ingredients and all the flavoring.
Here are more adventurous ways of making chicken noodle soup recipe.
Substitute or add in to make this chicken noodle soup recipe your own.
- Oil: instead of oil you can use butter to sauté the vegetables.
- Vegetables: spinach, green beans, peas, zucchini, canned tomatoes, corn or even potatoes are some things to try.
- Seasoning: try adding or substituting any herbs to fresh or dry.
- Meat: leftover meat is always best and trying turkey, variations of chicken or shredded ham are always great.
- Broth: switch out your chicken broth for turkey broth or bone broth for different variations.
- Noodles: tortellini, bowtie pasta, small shell pasta or even spaghetti noodles are great to have if you dont have egg noodles on hand.
Is Chicken Noodle Soup Healthy
I dont know about canned soup, but this homemade recipe is incredibly healthy! Chicken broth and all those bits of vegetables are a great source of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. These help build a stronger immune system to fight off viruses, and also aid in your body healing more quickly when you do get sick. Thats why so many people refer to it as liquid penicillin!
How many calories in chicken noodle soup? Chicken soup is generally low in calories. One serving of this particular recipe is only 206 calories.
Recommended Reading: Campbell Soup Careers Fayetteville Nc
About The Chicken Stock:
If your questioning whether you should use homemade chicken stock, or store-bought for this recipe, homemade is definitely the way to go! The secret is to use a rotisserie chicken so that you can use the meat in the soup and make chicken broth with the leftover carcass and bones. You wont believe how easy it is and it really takes the soup over top in terms of depth of flavor.
How To Make Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup:
Make Homemade Chicken Stock ahead of time using a rotisserie chicken, or choose a good brand of store-bought chicken stock.
Sauté veggies. Add butter, diced celery and carrots to a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Sauté for 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
Add chicken stock or broth. Season the broth with salt , pepper, and a tiny pinch of rosemary, sage and crushed red pepper. I may add another small spoonful of better than bullion chicken or chicken bouillon powder as well, if needed, to taste.
Add noodles and boil. Once boiling, add noodles and cook just until noodles are al dente. If using store-bought noodles, be cautious not to overcook them! Remove the soup pot from heat as soon as the noodles are just barely tender, as they will continue to cook off of the heat.
Add chicken. Add chicken meat from the rotisserie chicken. Taste the broth again and add more seasonings, if needed.
Also Check: How To Make Onion Dip With Soup Mix
How To Make Turkey Soup
To make this turkey noodle soup, first sauté the carrots, celery, and onion in an oiled Dutch oven until softened. Then, add the garlic and cook for another minute or so.
Add the broth and herbs and bring to a boil. Let the mixture simmer for 5 minutes before adding in the noodles. Once the noodles have softened, add in the shredded turkey and let the soup simmer until the turkey is heated through.
Serve the turkey soup immediately. My family loves it at is, but you can also serve it with Honey Cornbread Muffins or a simple side salad.
The Best Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
When my body is tired and achy, or Im feeling a bit under the weather, I always throw together a big pot of this Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup. The aroma that fills my house as it cooks is absolutely soothing to the soul, and the from scratch flavor just cant be beat. Theres no bouillon here folks, because this chicken broth is the real deal. But dont worry, despite being made from scratch, this surprisingly simple and easy recipe makes the BEST homemade chicken noodle soup with very little hands-on time!
Images and prices updated 2-8-17
Pairs perfectly with homemade No-Knead Focaccia Rolls!
Also Check: Onion Soup Mix Dip Recipe
What You Need To Make Easy Chicken Noodle Soup
- Broth or stock: Although they are slightly different, both chicken broth and chicken stock work in most soup recipes. You may use either homemade or store-bought, however, the key to any good chicken noodle soup is having a delicious broth. Typically made by simmering chicken in water with fresh herbs or spices, traditional chicken broth for chicken noodle soup is clear and light.
- Vegetables: The most common vegetables included in classic chicken noodle soup here in the US include a mixture of onion, celery, and carrots .
- Herbs: In this version, I left things super simple and only added a touch of fresh chopped parsley after the soup was finished cooking. Other popular herbs, dried or fresh, include oregano, rosemary, and thyme.
- Noodles: Traditionally egg noodles are added as they have a higher egg to wheat ratio and, typically, hold up a little better in steaming bowls of hot chicken soup.
- Chicken: In this recipe, bone-in chicken pieces will be simmered in water until cooked. This will make the base chicken stock. The cooked chicken will be removed, the meat will be shredded from the bones, and the meat will be added back to the soup toward the end of cooking.