What To Serve This Soup With
This soup is seriously BEGGING for some crusty bread partnerships, be it a handful of crispy luxe peppery croutons on top or a freshly ripped piece of steamy no knead bread. You could pair it with a little green salad or roast up some fall veggies, maybe a little pile of crispy roasted mushrooms to top it .
We really love this one, friends. We hope you do too.
Beef And Mushroom Lasagna
For a fun twist on an old favorite, replace the ricotta in your best lasagna recipe with a mixture of one can of cream of mushroom soup and a quarter cup of milk. It’s got more flavor than boring old ricotta cheese anyway, and is much kinder on the wallet.
Don’t have a fave lasagna recipe? No problem. To start from scratch on this dish, mix 1 pound of cooked ground beef with 2 cups of the pasta sauce of your choice. Choose a mushroom if you really want the mushroom flavor to pop. In a separate bowl, mix a can of cream of mushroom soup with a quarter cup of milk until the mixture is smooth. Using cooked lasagna noodles, create alternating layers of noodle, beef mixture and soup mixture in an 11 x 7 x 2 inch baking dish. Then top with a cup of shredded mozzarella and bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes.
Cream Of Mushroom Soup Gravy Recipes
There could be wide recipes to choose from if you want to make a cream of mushroom soup gravy. And the use of a canned soup could be considered for this recipe:
Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom Soup Gravy
You might use Campbells Cream of Mushroom Soup that is known to be a premium and affordable brand which could be used as is or as one of the ingredients.
This recipe might require 10 minutes of preparation and another 10 minutes of cooking time. And boiling is the cooking method used. You will also need the following ingredients:
- Two cups of chicken stock
- A teaspoon of olive or vegetable oil
- Two teaspoons of finely minced garlic bread
- A teaspoon of tomato paste
- ¼ cup of mushrooms
And finally, turn off the heat and swirl it in cold butter up until it melts.
Also Check: Potato Soup Recipes Using Frozen Hash Browns
Cream Of Mushroom Soup: The Carbs In It
In addition to the health benefits of the cream of mushroom soup, are you curious about a number of carbs in it? Well, this soup isnt high in carbs, but it does contain some making it a good choice for energy yet couldnt be suitable for reduced carb meal plans.
A cup serving of this soup contains 14.44 grams of carbs, though the number of carbs might vary by brand. Fat makes up the majority of the calories, but the carbohydrates provide the remainder. Sugar is being counted as the carbohydrate and also the soup has some sugars too. Besides, this soup is also considered to be low in glycemic index which measures the way food influences the blood glucose and the insulin levels according to the numbers of carbs that food has. If you have a low glycemic index rating would mean that the food wouldnt trigger a rapid spike in insulin or blood sugar. You can also watch this video:
About Cream Of Mushroom Soup
As a family, we love soups. It doesnt matter if its cold or hot outside, there are so many terrific and tasty soup recipes that are perfect for any weather! A few of our year-round favorites include Tomato Soup and Sweet Corn Soup.
Today Im sharing with you another classic homemade soup recipe we adore, cream of mushroom soup. This naturally vegetarian dish is hearty, rich, and full of deep umami flavor. Its great topped with fresh herbs and served as a side or main dish!
My creamy mushroom soup is a one-pot recipe, too. Button mushrooms are sautéed with onion and garlic, then combined with flour and butter to make a thick roux. Vegetable stock is poured into the same pot, and milk and cream are added for the perfect creaminess.
The soup is ready in only 30 minutes, including prep time. Try this healthy, delicious, quick and easy dinner recipe as part of your weekly meal plan!
Also Check: Homemade Keto Tomato Soup
Chef John’s Creamy Mushroom Soup
- 2 pounds sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 pinch salt
- 1½ tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves for garnish, or to taste
- Step 1
Melt butter in a large soup pot over medium-high heat cook mushrooms in butter with 1 pinch salt until the mushrooms give off their juices reduce heat to low. Continue to cook, stirring often, until juices evaporate and the mushrooms are golden brown, about 15 minutes. Set aside a few attractive mushroom slices for garnish later, if desired. Mix onion into mushrooms and cook until onion is soft and translucent, about 5 more minutes.
- Step 2
Stir flour into mushroom mixture and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes to remove raw flour taste. Tie thyme sprigs into a small bundle with kitchen twine and add to mushroom mixture add garlic cloves. Pour chicken stock and water into mushroom mixture. Bring to a simmer and cook for 1 hour. Remove thyme bundle.
- Step 3
Transfer soup to a blender in small batches and puree on high speed until smooth and thick.
- Step 4
Return soup to pot and stir in cream. Season with salt and black pepper and serve in bowls, garnished with reserved mushroom slices and a few thyme leaves.
If mixture seems too thick, thin it out with more chicken broth or water.
Best Mushrooms For Creamy Mushroom Soup
The flavor of mushrooms is very pronounced in this soup, and it all starts with fresh cremini mushrooms
Cremini mushrooms are simply more mature white button mushrooms, with a brown color and firm texture with even more growing time they become meaty portobello capsbut all three are the same variety. Because they are more mature than white button mushrooms, they pack a lot more depth of flavor.
A small amount of dried porcini mushrooms reconstituted in boiling water really helps intensify the mushroom flavor. The soaking water gets diluted and added to the soup and the drained mushrooms simmer in the vegetable broth. If you cant find dried mushrooms, just add another 8 ounces of fresh mushrooms to the mix.
Alternative mushrooms: Cremini and dried porcini mushrooms are my favorites to use in this soup, but you could swap out white button mushrooms or portobellos for them. As mentioned above, if you want to skip the dried mushrooms, add about 8 ounces fresh mushrooms for that extra flavor boost and be sure to give them plenty of time on top of the stove to evaporate excess liquid and allow the mushrooms to turn a deep golden brown before adding the stock.
Simply Recipes / Sally Vargas
Read Also: Andersen Split Pea Hotel Solvang
How To Make Paleo
- ¾ cup full-fat coconut milk, cream included
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch, or 2 to 3 tablespoons of corn starch made into a slurry with ¼ cup water
- Palm shortening, avocado oil, coconut oil, or clarified butteryour choice
- Double up on the onion and garlic powder, if needed, to counterbalance the coconut flavor
What To Serve With Mushroom Soup
Creamy mushroom soup is delicious to enjoy with a hearty sandwich or piece of crusty bread, like crostini or bruschetta.
Its a wonderful starter to serve before a pasta or risotto or pilaf course. And it pairs great as a side dish with nearly any entree!
Have a bowl of this comforting soup as a main dish of its own, and serve with a fresh side salad or veggies.
Recommended Reading: Campbell Soup Chicken Broccoli Casserole
The Best Way To Prep Fresh Mushrooms For Soup
Mushrooms are porous and absorb water if you rinse them too far in advance, but when you plan to cook them in a soup, you dont need to carefully remove debris one mushroom at a time!
The fastest and easiest way to prep them is to swish them around in a large bowl of cool water. The dirt that clings to them should sink to the bottom of the bowl. Use your hands to transfer them to a layer of paper towels to drain. Do this just before you are going to make the soup.
You can slice the mushrooms with a knife, but a food processor is the quickest way to get your soup going. You are going to purée the soup at the end of cooking, so perfectly sliced mushrooms are not a prerequisite!
If youre interested in learning more about buying and storing mushrooms, cooking mushrooms, and cleaning them we have some great resources for you:
And, as a bonus, here is some information on morel mushrooms if youre interested.
What Goes In Mushroom Soup
So, we had a little debate in the office with smooth vs. chunky mushroom soup and, in the end, landed somewhere right in the middle. Though a lot of the team voted on a chunky soup, in testing the bigger chunks that were less consistent throughout, it was sort ofupsetting? Is that an okay word to use? . But the blended, totally smooth also left us wanting just a little more.
So we compromised with a super-thin slice on everything. After it all cooks and softens, youre left with these little slivery buttery bits of mushroom and garlic throughout to bring a nice bit of even texture to the whole thing but nothing overly slippy, chewy oryou know, upsetting.
We also found that an old halfsies take on the mushroom choice was just right. All button wasnt quite enough richness of flavor, full baby bella felt like a traipse along the forest floor. Though were not necessarily opposed to that, and you could certainly go that route if you stan earthy flavors, we loved it right in the middle. Rich, savory, complex goodness.
- garlic and shallot
- white wine
- heavy cream
And seriously, when tasting and testing this soup, we all thought there must be a million ingredients in this soup with how deep and rich it tastes. But there are not!
So, what were saying is: all hail the mighty mushroom, okay?
Don’t Miss: Substitute For Golden Mushroom Soup
Substitutions And Suggestions For Cream Of Mushroom Soup
We’ve gotten a lot of great suggestions from readers over the years who have made this soup and made their own variations. Here are a few:
- Add or substitute some wild mushrooms
- Add shredded chicken for extra protein
- For a richer soup, swap the chicken stock for beef stock
- For a lighter soup , swap the chicken stock for vegetable stock
- For a dairy-free version, swap the cream with coconut milk
- For another dairy-free version, add some rice during cooking, then blend
- If the soup tastes a little bland to you, add a splash of rice vinegar or cider vinegar
- If you don’t have tarragon, try thyme, oregano, or rosemary
Tips For The Best Cream Of Mushroom Soup
This is quick and easy but there are a few tips to make it even better.
- Mushrooms: I used baby bella mushrooms but you can also use cremini or white button mushrooms. Or a mixture of mushrooms works and adds a blend of flavors
- Slicing: Buy pre sliced mushrooms to save time. But if you have time slice your own. This helps make sure the mushrooms are the same thickness and will cook at the same rate. You may have to trim the pre-sliced mushrooms if some are too big.
- Cream: Heavy cream adds incredible richness, but you can substitute half and half and have excellent results.
- Saute: Dont under saute the mushrooms. You want a deep color on the mushrooms, and caramelization. This creates the best flavor.
- Blend it: If you want a smooth creamy soup, once its simmered use an immersion blender or place in batches in your blender leaving the small opening on top open and covering with a paper towel and blend to desired texture.
Don’t Miss: Cheesy Chicken And Rice Campbells
Can You Make This Cream Of Mushroom Soup Recipe Without Evaporated Milk At All
Yes! You can make this soup without evaporated milk. Just replace it with a combination of ingredients.
Add more vegetable stock for more flavor, and some heavy whipping cream for richness. Youll have to experiment with the balance that you like best.
Id begin with 1 cup additional vegetable stock, and cup heavy whipping cream. In place of whipping cream, you can try canned coconut milk, but it may add coconut flavor.
Roast Breast Of Chicken With Mushroom Sauce
Who says chicken is dull? Not us! Especially when you cook it in a sauce made with a can of Campbells Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup. This flavoursome dish can be accompanied with fluffy rice, pasta or whatever youre in the mood for!
What Youll Need
- 1 small onion, diced finely
- 1 can Campbells Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 tbsp roughly chopped flat leaf parsley
How To Make Roast Breast of Chicken with Mushroom Sauce
- Preheat a frying pan. Generously season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper, then place them skin side down in the pan.
- Fry over a medium heat for 7-8 minutes on each side, ensuring they are well coloured and firm to the touch.
- Remove from the frying pan and keep warm in the oven.
- To the same frying pan, add the onions and fry.
- Pour in the Campbells Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup and bring the heat down to a simmer. Cook the sauce for a few minutes, loosening with water if required.
- Season with salt, pepper and parsley.
- Add the chicken breasts back into the pan and serve hot.
Read Also: Campbells Soup Chicken And Rice Recipe
Quick And Easy Gravy Made With Canned Mushroom Soup
GwennyOh has a wide range of interests and loves to read it seems she knows a bit about virtually everything.
Gravy Made With Canned Mushroom Soup
This mushroom gravy recipe is great when you’re strapped for time and need a quick fix. But it’s also great for all of the other times when you just want a great-tasting gravy!
You can get rid of the small mushroom chunks by putting the soup in a blender and letting it blend for a minute or so. This also creates a smoother gravy. But of course, only if you feel the need to do so. Sometimes I do this sometimes I don’t. You can blend out all of the chunks, some of them, or none at allthe choice is yours.
Make Cream Of Mushroom Soup
15. Now add 1 cup of water or vegetable stock, or mushroom stock.
16. Stir and mix well.
17. Add 1 cup whole milk.
TIP: The milk should be at room temperature when you add it.
18. Mix very well.
19. Season with salt to taste and mix again. If using vegetable or mushroom stock instead of water, you likely will only need a small amount of extra salt, if any at all.
20. Simmer the cream of mushroom soup over medium-low heat. Stir often it will start to bubble up like in the picture below.
21. The soup will also begin to thicken. Continue to simmer the mushroom soup for more 4 to 5 more minutes.
As it cooks the soup will thicken more and more. Stir regularly so that it doesnt stick to the bottom of the pan.
22. Then add 6 tablespoons light cream or cooking cream or low fat cream or 3 tablespoons heavy cream or whipping cream. You can also add 7 to 8 tablespoons of half and half.
23. Stir and mix well.
24. Add 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley or coriander leaves or any fresh herbs of your choice.
25. Simmer the cream of mushroom soup for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring often.
26. Lastly, sprinkle 1 to 2 pinches of ground nutmeg powder or grated nutmeg and stir. Nutmeg gives a nice pleasant aroma but can be skipped if you do not have it.
27. Switch off the heat and pour the mushroom soup in individual serving bowls. Serve the cream of mushroom soup steaming hot garnished with more freshly chopped parsley or coriander leaves.
Read Also: Soup Bone Dog Treat
Cream Of Mushroom Soup Recipe Details
This Cream of Mushroom Soup is one of my favorites because its filling, simple, and delicious. You can also dress it up with a puff pastry top for company.
- TASTE: Flavored with garlic, shallots, and herbs, this hearty soup is full of rich flavors
- TEXTURE: The cream of mushroom soup is rich and creamy with tender bites of mushroom throughout. This is the best thing after a cold day.
- TIME: This recipe will take less than an hour to make and it reheat really well for next-day leftovers.
- EASE: You can make this soup with no trouble! Just follow the step-by-step recipe images of video that will walk you through it.
What Is The Type Of Carbohydrate In Cream Of Mushroom Soup And Its Role
Simple carbohydrate is the type of carb in mushroom soup because this carb is from the sugars galactose as well as lactose starchy foods or complex carbs and have three sugar sources. The body would use the carbohydrates as the main source of energy and so eating this kind of soup will influence the amount of fuel you go within the day.
You might also get in this soup as another source of protein. And this soup also keeps the central nervous system and muscles function the right way. So, no worry about consuming this kind of soup and even the cream of mushroom soup gravy.
Recommended Reading: Campbells Chicken And Rice Casserole With Cream Of Mushroom Soup