If You Love This Recipe You Should Try
Tuesday 23rd of February 2021
Vegan broccoli soup is wonderful, Its wonderful!
Saturday 30th of January 2021
Im vegan and my son is vegetarian and this is one thing we always agree on. He is obsessed with this soup. Thanks so much for posting!
Sunday 27th of December 2020
I have to twist my family’s arms to try anything I make… this soup blew them away. It’s wonderful!
Monday 12th of October 2020
I’ve made this recipe so many times, it’s my absolute favorite soup! I alter it a bit by adding a full cup of nutritional yeast to make it extra cheesy and it’s perfect. Super filling and healthy!
Sunday 19th of January 2020
I loved this recipe! It was easy, all whole food, vegan and gluten free and my entire family loved it! Tastes even better the next day leftovers! Definitely will make this again.
Tuesday 21st of January 2020
So glad you loved this recipe as much as we do!! Leftovers are really the best!
Hi, I’m Sam!
What To Serve With Dairy
In lieu of a gluten-free bread bowl, serving this healthy broccoli cheddar soup in a bowl with some carby accompaniments is just as good. Serve it up with some crusty gluten-free garlic bread or biscuits or make it an appetizer to a cozy dinner. You can even enjoy it as a soup and salad lunch or add in some leftover gluten-free pasta, rice, or potatoes to get your fill! From appetizer, side dish, lunch, or entree, you can enjoy this creamy soup any time of day!
Creamy Broccoli Cheese Soup
Get the Creamy Dairy-Free Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe from That Was Vegan?
Filled to the brim with green veggies and creamy deliciousness, broccoli cheddar soup is a classic and this version is to die for. Its got a whole head of broccoli, warming winter spices, some flour to thicken and two different kinds of Daiya our ever-popular Cheddar Shreds and new Monterey Jack Farmhouse Block.
Also Check: Campbell’s Cream Of Chicken Soup Recipes
How Do You Make This Keto Dairy
- Sauté onion in the palm shortening/oil
- Slowly add in the vegetable stock and whisk again to combine
- Add the broccoli and the sauteed onions into the pot.
- Stir in the coconut milk
- Cook covered over low heat for 20-25 minutes but do not bring to a boil
- Add salt, pepper, smoked paprika and nutmeg.
- Add 1 cup of the soup and combine it with the avocado in a high-speed blender
- Blend until all the ingredients have been broken down
- Return the blended mixture to the pot and stir to incorporate
- Continue to cook the soup on low heat and slowly add the grated cheese a handful at a time and stir to avoid clumps.
- Once all the cheese has been added is melted, remove from heat, and serve immediately
- Refrigerate leftovers after they have cooled and store in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the refrigerator
In This Recipe For Vegan Broccoli Cheddar Soup Here Are Some Of The Healthy Swaps Were Making:
- Heavy cream for soaked cashews to a create a luscious texture
- Heavy cream for potato puree to achieve that comfort food stick to your bones feeling
- Cheddar cheese for nutritional yeast
To make it feel like youre serving your copycat Panera broccoli cheddar soup in a bread bowl, I like to toast a few cubes of bread to garnish on top. This step is optional, but highly recommended.
Also Check: Chicken Soup Delivery Shark Tank
More About Homemade Cheddar Soup Recipes
BEST BROCCOLI CHEDDAR SOUP RECIPE – HOW TO MAKE BROCCOLI …
CHEDDAR POTATO SOUP – SWIRLS OF FLAVOR
FromEstimated Reading Time
- In medium saucepot cook bacon and butter until butter is melted. Add onion, carrot, celery, garlic, kosher salt and pepper and cook until vegetables are softened, 5-7 minutes.
- Add potatoes and broth and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook 20 minutes or until potatoes are very tender. Add cheese, stirring until cheese is melted.
- Garnish, if desired, with additional cheddar cheese, chopped scallions, sour cream and crumbled crisp-cooked bacon.
CHEDDAR CHEESE SOUP – DINNER, THEN DESSERT
FromEstimated Reading Time
CHEDDAR CHEESE SOUP RECIPE | CHEESE DIP FOR NACHOS OR VEGGIES
FromEstimated Reading Time
30 MINUTE BROCCOLI CHEDDAR SOUP | GIMME DELICIOUS
- Melt butter in a large dutch oven or pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook 3-4 minutes or until softened and light gold. Add the garlic and saute for another minute.
- Add flour and whisk for 1-2 minutes or until the flour begins to turn golden in color. Pour in the chicken stock, broccoli florets, carrots, and seasoning. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes or until the broccoli and carrots are cooked through.
- Stir in half & half and cheddar cheese and simmer for another minute. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
Tips For Blending Hot Soup:
Make sure to be very careful when blending soup in a regular blender. If you are blending hot soup, it can lead the blender to steam up or build pressure which can result in the top popping off. To avoid that, here are our tips for blending hot soup in a regular blender.
Allow the soup to cool for a few minutes if you can. Its best not to take this right off the stove/instant pot/crockpot and put it in the blender. Give it a few minutes uncovered/off heat to release some steam.
Blend the soup in batches. Its probably best to divide this in half and blend it 1/2 the batch at a time. By doing this youre leaving room in the blender for the soup to move around.
Remove the center cover from the blender and cover with a towel instead. Most blender tops have a removable plastic piece in the center. Take this center piece out and put a clean dish towel over the opening while blending. . Doing this allows the steam to vent out and prevents pressure from building up in the blender. Make sure to hold your hand over the dish towel to avoid it from moving/splattering.
Read Also: Fast Food Places With Soup
A Great Soup Base Or Side Dish
This delicious soup base is actually really versatile and can be used for another soup recipe the next time youre trying to create a thick and creamy soup that the whole family will love. Try it as a base for cream of asparagus, cream of mushroom, a creamy baked potato soup, or even on its own topped with some crumbled bacon.
You could also include other root veggies like celery root or rutabaga to add additional layers of flavor. Use less broth to allow for a thicker puree that can substitute for mashed potatoes. The possibilities are endless.
Substitutions For This Healthy Broccoli Soup Recipe:
There are MANY substitutions for this recipe for healthy broccoli soup. Check them out below!
Veggies: Feel free to add in more carrots, celery or onion to this!
Broth: Use vegetable broth to make this vegetarian or bone broth if youd like!
Dairy Free: I havent tested this recipe with dairy free cheese but I think it would work. You can sub in any non dairy milk. I tested almond milk in this recipe and found no difference in terms of taste/texture.
Cheese: Feel free to use whatever cheese you like. I prefer cheddar, colby jack, fontina or gouda but other shredded cheese will work. Its better to use a block and grate your own cheese so that it melts best.
Milk: You can use pretty much any milk in this soup. I tested it with coconut cream, almond milk and whole milk. All were delicious. If youre looking for a lower fat option, use lower fat milk or almond milk. If you want a more rich soup, use heavy cream or coconut cream.
Potatoes: Do not use red skinned potatoes. These have less starch and will make your soup more watery. Use yukon gold or russet potatoes as the starch is what helps with thickening.
Thickness: This soup is not the thick gravy like soup youd get at Panera in the bread bowl, but it does get thicker as it cools/sets.
Don’t Miss: How To Make Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
How To Make Broccoli Soup:
You can make this Healthy Broccoli Soup in the instant pot, crock pot or on the stove. The photos below show how to make the broccoli soup in the instant pot, but it is pretty much the same no matter what method you use.
I actually prefer to make it in the instant pot, its the quickest way and is pretty hands off. The good thing with this soup, is that its pretty difficult to mess up.. it doesnt matter if you over cook it, because it all gets blended up!
What Type Of Non
You can experiment with what type of vegan cheese you like. For this recipe, I like the Daiya Cheddar block cheese. Chop it finely before adding it to the soup, and it will add a good creaminess and a nice cheddar flavor.
If Daiya doesnt work for you, feel free to try any brand of non-dairy cheese that works for your dietary needs.
Read Also: Calphalon 4.5 Qt Soup Pot
Creamy Cheddar Cheese Soup
This creamy cheese soup is delicious on a cold winter day!
Provided by Maureen
|1 pound shredded Cheddar cheese|
- In a 3 quart saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter or margarine. Add onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour and cook until flour has blended with onion mixture.
- Add chicken broth and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is slightly thickened. Add milk and heat just to boiling, stirring constantly.
- In covered blender at medium speed, blend about 1/4 of soup mixture at a time until smooth. Return to saucepan and, over medium heat, heat just to boiling. Remove from heat.
- With wire whisk or slotted spoon, stir in cheese until melted. If cheese does not melt completely, cook over very low heat about 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Nutrition Facts : Calories479.2 calories, Carbohydrate12.8 g, Cholesterol109.5 mg, Fat35.9 g, Fiber0.5 g, Protein26.1 g, SaturatedFat22.6 g, Sodium956.8 mg, Sugar7.2 g
Why Won’t My Cheese Melt In My Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Make sure to add the vegan cheddar after you’ve added the broth and milk. The liquid of the soup should be hot before you add the shreds. Continue mixing the soup until the shreds have fully melted. If you choose a brand of vegan cheddar and the shreds seem “large” or “wide”, you may find better success by giving them a quick blitz in a food processor to make them small, thus easier to melt.
Also Check: New England Soup Factory Salem Ma
Recipe Faqs & Substitutions
I am not vegan and would like to use cheese. How can I add that?
I developed this recipe specifically to be dairy-free. My Classic Broccoli Cheese Soup recipe is a better recipe for you!
Best nutritional yeast?
I only use non-fortified nutritional yeast, meaning it does not have synthetic vitamins added. This is a much more natural product, while still giving your soup a cheesy flavor. I use either Foods Alive Nutritional Yeast or Sari Foods Nutritional Yeast.
Can I use fresh/frozen cauliflower/broccoli?
Yes, fresh or frozen veggies will work. To save work, I prefer using frozen cauliflower. I used fresh broccoli in this recipe because I had an abundance from my garden.
I prefer a totally smooth soup. Do I have to steam the broccoli in a glass bowl?
Nope, just throw it in with the rest of the veggies, pressure cook, and blend! I like small chunks of broccoli florets, hence steaming small florets in the glass bowl. This is an optional step, however.
Can I sub broth for the water?
Do I have to use jalapeno/cayenne pepper?
Nope, these ingredients are optional! Our family loves spicy, and I was hoping for a copycat Hoffbrau broccoli-cheese-jalapeno soup. I got pretty close!
Smooth Or Chunky Soup
I have a texture snob in my house so I am very aware of this controversy. I personally love a thick, chunky soup. but this one can easily be pureed. If you plan to puree it, I recommend leaving some of the broccoli in bigger pieces. Youll remove the bigger pieces before blending and save for garnish. The remaining will be pureed with the cooked soup,
Read Also: Veg Hot And Sour Soup
Chickpea Flour: The Secret To Creamy High
Lets get started, shall we? First, grab your magic wand.
Kidding. But I get it, this all may sound too good to be true.
But its not. Then again, chickpea flour is a magical ingredient in many ways. It can be used as a flour, as an egg replacement, and to make dairy-free cheese. Like chickpea flour feta cheese. And chickpea flour Cheddar cheese.
When a slurry of chickpea flour and liquid is heated , it becomes thick and very creamy. No milk additions,of any kind are needed. It can be more or less thick, depending on the ratio of flour to liquid. At one extreme, cheese. At the other, the second inspiration for this recipe: French chickpea flour soup.
Cheesy Vegan Broccoli Cauliflower Soup
Cheesy Vegan Broccoli Cauliflower Soup Recipe, from Brand New Vegan
A simple and tasty soup is given a vegan makeover in this creamy bowl of cauliflower-filled goodness. It also requires just a few ingredients and crafting this medley of vegetable flavor is surprisingly simple, fast and tasty. Serve with your favorite side salad for an easy and satisfying winter meal.
Recommended Reading: French Onion Soup Bowls With Lids
How Do You Make Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup
Ive made this recipe as simple as possible!
First, you saute the onion and garlic for a few minutes, then add the vegetables , cashews, nutritional yeast, salt, spices and vegetable broth.
Once the vegetables are fork tender, blend it all up in batches if needed. Return it the the soup pot, add a little water for a thinner soup if desired, stir in bite sized broccoli pieces and simmer for about 10 minutes, until soft.
Serve with a little non-dairy cheddar cheese, if desired. Enjoy!
Did You Make This Dish
If you make this dish, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, dont forget to tag me on Instagram or hashtag #thetableofspice or both! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Recommended Reading: Campbells Soup Chicken And Rice Bake Recipe
Why Is Palm Oil And Shortening So Controversial
- Palm oil is an edible vegetable oil that comes from the fruit grown on the African oil palm tree.
- The trees, which were previously found only in Africa, are now grown in Asia, North America and South America – coinciding with the increasing demand for the versatile oil.
- Unfortunately, the demand for palm oil has grown so much that it has resulted in deforestation in order to grow more oil palm trees
- Deforestation has led to a decrease in rain forest land as well as a decrease in all the creatures living in the rain forests.
Easy Vegan Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Vegan broccoli cheddar soup – a thick, rich soup that is long filling. Despite the preparation without cheese, this delicious, creamy soup is super cheesy and amazes everyone.
This gluten-free broccoli potato soup is based on cashews, potatoes and spices such as nutritional yeast and miso paste, which gives the cheese a good taste. You can use this broccoli cheese soup recipe easy peasy to make a nacho cheese.
You should definitely give this soup a try. This soup tastes delicious and authentic. This broccoli cheddar soup, which is incredibly delicious, and if you don’t know it, you won’t suspect that this creamy soup is made entirely without cheese.
And the best soup is healthier than the cheese and dairy version.
You can prepare this soup for a quick dinner or serve it in large quantities at a party.
Have you maybe planned a birthday party and don’t know what to serve? How about this broccoli cheese soup served in a bread bowl?
Those who love cheesy flavors will like, if not love, this soup, even if omnivores will be at your party.
Have you ever ate broccoli cheddar soup at Panera? And you always wanted to create a vegan version of this super delicious soup at home? Then you’ve found a recipe for a classic broccoli cheddar soup in vegan that Americans love.
I didnt want to veganize this soup just with store-bought vegan cheese. I wanted to create a healthier version without high processed foods like oil and I created this amazing soup recipe.
Also Check: Lipton Soup Pot Roast Recipe