How To Make Broccoli Cheese Soup
Ready to see how to make broccoli cheese soup without added carbs or weird ingredients? Its super simple, just a few easy steps:
- Saute garlic in a large pot or Dutch oven. It takes about 45-60 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add chicken broth, heavy cream, and chopped broccoli. Simmer until the broccoli is tender, about 10-20 minutes.
TIP: The simmer time will vary depending on the size of your florets. Smaller florets = faster simmer time.
- Add the shredded cheddar cheese gradually, stirring constantly, and continue to stir until melted. This will help thicken the soup.
TIP: Avoid having the heat too high when adding the cheese or after, to avoid seizing. See more tips about how to make broccoli cheese soup perfectly, without carbs and without clumping, below.
OR, go with my preferred method to avoid clumping altogether
- Puree the broccoli into the soup along with the cheddar cheese using an immersion blender. I like to remove about 1/3 the florets using a slotted spoon first, so that you can toss the florets back in afterward and have some broccoli pieces in your soup.
TIP: The more broccoli you leave in before pureeing, the thicker your broccoli soup will be. The cheese helps thicken your broccoli cheddar soup, but the pureed broccoli florets will, too!
If youre curious about what my older pictures of homemade broccoli cheese soup looked like, here is one:
This rich broccoli cheese soup is quick and easy with just 5 ingredients!
Why We’ve Made Keto
Hello, we’re Chris and Jen the founders of Proper Good! Chris is an avid Ketoer and spends over half the year in ketosis, but he has a break every few months simply due to the sheer difficulty of staying on keto.
Keto is hard at home, but even harder when you’re at work or on-the-go! Enter… Proper Good Keto Meals… delicious and ready to eat, and with no refrigeration needed, you can take them anywhere!
So, if you’re bored of Keto Shakes struggling to find the time to prepare every keto meal from scratch fed up with eating endless keto snacks instead of an actual dinner…
Then our Keto Meals might just be Your Keto Diet Win! Our Keto Soups will help you stick to your keto diet and make it more enjoyable! If you’re looking for easy keto, you’re in the right place 🙂
Honestly Feeding An Extremely Active Family That Is Always On The Run Can Be Hard At Times It Has Been A Real Juggling Act This Year To Get A Warm Dinner Like This Broccoli Cheddar Soup On The Table For Everyone
That’s where my Durotherm comes in! Lately, on the evenings that Kash has baseball games, I’ve been breaking out my Durotherm Hold and Serve. I don’t normally endorse lots of extra kitchen gear. However, I have to say that this Durotherm ACTUALLY makes my life easier. A piping hot meal awaiting my daughter when she gets home, even though I’m not actually there, makes my mom guilt a little easier to tolerate. I don’t have to do anything special or learn any new tricks to work my Durotherm either. I simply cook in the pot, and then place the hold and serve on its hot plate. It keeps our meal piping hot for up 2 hours! That’s my kind of magic!
Another thing I really LOVE about the Durotherm Hold and Serve is that its handles stay nice and cool while our soup is bubbling hot inside. I don’t have to worry about Eliza’s hands getting burned if she grabs the lid or handles of the pot when she’s serving herself a bowl. I definitely can’t say that for any other soup pots I own.
Recommended Reading: Onion Soup Mix Dip Recipe
Frozen Vs Fresh Broccoli Cheese Soup
How to make broccoli soup with fresh broccoli? What about frozen broccoli? The answer is you can use either one! The instructions are exactly the same .
TIP: The simmer time for the broccoli soup may vary depending on the size of your florets and whether they were fresh or frozen. Frozen broccoli is usually pre-blanched, so it might cook a little quicker once it thaws in the soup , but on the other hand, fresh broccoli doesnt need to thaw first .
No matter what kind you use, youll know its done simmering when the broccoli is soft and tender.
A Great Soup Base Or Side Dish
This delicious soup base is actually really versatile and can be used for another soup recipe the next time youre trying to create a thick and creamy soup that the whole family will love. Try it as a base for cream of asparagus, cream of mushroom, a creamy baked potato soup, or even on its own topped with some crumbled bacon.
You could also include other root veggies like celery root or rutabaga to add additional layers of flavor. Use less broth to allow for a thicker puree that can substitute for mashed potatoes. The possibilities are endless.
Read Also: Lipton Onion Soup Mix Burgers
Smooth Or Chunky Soup
I have a texture snob in my house so I am very aware of this controversy. I personally love a thick, chunky soup. but this one can easily be pureed. If you plan to puree it, I recommend leaving some of the broccoli in bigger pieces. Youll remove the bigger pieces before blending and save for garnish. The remaining will be pureed with the cooked soup,
Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
Can comfort food be keto? You bet. This fall, Im keto-fying all my favorite comfort food recipes. And Im starting with broccoli cheese soup.
Low on carbs but packed with flavor, this is the best recipe for broccoli cheese soup. Dont forget to top it with extra cheese and crumbled bacon.I love having quick and dinner recipes in my back pocket. This broccoli cheese soup takes just 30 minutes to make so its perfect for a busy weeknight.
Don’t Miss: Campbell’s Soup Broccoli Rice Casserole
Interested In Creating This Tasty Recipe
Get the ingredients you need at a convenient nearby location.
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 35 mins | Total: 45 mins
COMBINE arrowroot and water in a small bowl until smooth set aside.
MELT butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add scallions and sauté until soft. Add milk and broth bring to a boil. Reduce heat add broccoli and carrots. Return to a simmer and cook over low heat for 5 minutes or until carrots are tender. Gradually stir shredded cheese into soup in batches. Stir until smooth.
BLEND soup using an immersion blender until desired degree of smoothness is reached. If using a countertop blender, carefully blend the soup in small batches, allowing for the sudden expansion of hot liquids while blending. Whisk in arrowroot mixture, stirring constantly until thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
What Are The Health Benefits Of Broccoli
Broccoli is full of necessary minerals, vitamins, and fiber. Perhaps the best way broccoli helps the body is with its antioxidants. They improve heart and eye health, among other things. The quality fiber in broccoli also helps greatly with digestive issues.
Click here for more information about the health benefits of broccoli.
Don’t Miss: How To Make Delicious Soup
How Do I Reheat Soup In My Instant Pot
The first night I make soup in my Instant Pot I let it cool completely. Then I put the lid on or plastic wrap over top and store it in the refrigerator. The next night when I want to reheat the soup I take it out of the fridge and remove the plastic wrap.
I place the stainless pot back in my Instant Pot and put the lid on making sure it’s set to sealed. Then I press the manual button and set the time for 3 minutes. The soup will heat up while it’s coming to pressure and it only takes a short amount of time to have hot soup ready to serve.
Love Soup Try These Recipes
Soup And Chili Collection This is my complete collection of healthy, slow cooker and stovetop, gluten free and often low carb soups and chili recipes.
Wild Cod Chowder This dairy-free soup is super healthy and super fast to make.
Wild Salmon Chowder Enjoy a bowl of warm chowder: bits of crispy bacon and chunks of tender fish floating in an oh-so creamy vegetable broth.
Want to save this recipe? Pin it
Watch how to make it
You May Like: Canned Gluten Free Chicken Noodle Soup
Gluten Free Living 2017
Oh my goodness, I hit the gold mine with Panera Bread Broccoli Cheese Soup! This soup is absolutely awesome. This lovely soup is filled with broccoli, carrots, onions, garlic and celery. Then its seasoned with red pepper flakes and loads of sharp cheddar cheese. So mouthwatering and comforting.
Im serious, this Panera Bread copycat soup recipe is spectacular! Its also super easy to make. I think I had the whole soup ready in about 30 minutes! Its certainly the perfect soup for any family dinner or lunch. I loved the smooth, creamy, savory taste of this soup. I could probably make this multiple times per week and savor and drool over every bite.
I made this soup for a lunch with a friend last month and both of us were amazed at how delicious it was. I chose to make the soup gluten free since both of us are trying to abstain from flour as much as possible. I keep a large bag of Bobs Red Mill gluten free flour in my freezer at all times. Then when I want to switch from regular flour to gluten free I always have fresh GF flour on hand. . Its so helpful.
If youre looking for a fantastic soup recipe to serve your family, I cant recommend Panera Bread Broccoli Cheese Soup highly enough. This recipe makes only 4 servings, so be prepared to make more than one batch at a time, especially if you want leftovers!
Panera Bread Broccoli Cheese Soup is absolutely spectacular!
Panera Bread Broccoli Cheese Soup is one of the best copycat recipes youll ever eat.
Heres what I did.
Notes On Ingredients For Baked Potato Soup:
- Potatoes: my first choice for soups is always butter gold or yellow gold potatoes. If you cant find those, go ahead and use Russets.
- Chicken broth: I always stick to broth that is clearly labeled gluten-free. Pacific organic chicken broth is my go-to brand. I can find it at my local Winco and Kroger stores, but it can also be bought in .
- Bacon: Feel free to use your favorite bacon. I personally opt for varieties that are clearly labeled as nitrate/nitrite free since those are triggers for me.
- Seasonings: I give measurements for garlic salt and pepper but if youd like to add more or less, feel free to adjust.
My kids thought it was fun that I included bowls of cheese, bacon, and green onions, so they could customize their toppings on this potato soup adding as much bacon or cheese as theyd like.
If you love onions, you could also mix in chopped sweet onions into the soup when you add the potatoes.
You can also add some broccoli florets to this soup if youd like to sneak another vegetable in there!
Looking for more soup recipes? I highly recommend the soups I mentioned above as well as my 30 minute gluten-free chicken tortilla soup recipe.
Next time your family is needing something warm and comforting, I hope youll make this gluten-free soup for them!
Read Also: Mikasa Love Story Soup Bowl
Tips For Blending Hot Soup:
Make sure to be very careful when blending soup in a regular blender. If you are blending hot soup, it can lead the blender to steam up or build pressure which can result in the top popping off. To avoid that, here are our tips for blending hot soup in a regular blender.
Allow the soup to cool for a few minutes if you can. Its best not to take this right off the stove/instant pot/crockpot and put it in the blender. Give it a few minutes uncovered/off heat to release some steam.
Blend the soup in batches. Its probably best to divide this in half and blend it 1/2 the batch at a time. By doing this youre leaving room in the blender for the soup to move around.
Remove the center cover from the blender and cover with a towel instead. Most blender tops have a removable plastic piece in the center. Take this center piece out and put a clean dish towel over the opening while blending. . Doing this allows the steam to vent out and prevents pressure from building up in the blender. Make sure to hold your hand over the dish towel to avoid it from moving/splattering.
Read Also: Fast Food Places With Soup
Pro Tips And Recipe Notes
- I recommend aged cheddar cheese that you grate yourself. Just give it a quick spin in the food processor. Zip, zip and its done. The pre-grated type that comes in a zip lock bag contains preservatives meant to keep the shreds from clumping together in the bag. It doesnt melt quite as well.
- I love the delicate flavor of this soup. There are a few add-ins you could go with. Cinnamon would be very nice with this soup. If you like some spiciness, a pinch of cayenne pepper will do the trick. Or you could add chopped bacon, bite-size cooked chicken or turkey, or cooked, diced potatoes . Its up to you.
- Have a cup on its own or pair it with this these amazing slow cooker pork chops, mouthwatering chicken and peppers, crispy salmon cakes, or perfect pan-seared steaks.
- To save leftover soup, let it cool and store it in an airtight jar. It will keep for three days in the fridge.
This cozy soup is like a warm hug. Make it today and relax. Everything is going to be all right.
Don’t Miss: How To Make Vegetable Soup
What Can I Serve With Soup
- Warm chunk of crusty bread, you might try a delicious French or Italian Bread, or even this Irish Soda Bread or easy Copycat Cheddar Bay Biscuits.
- Or if you are feeling really adventurous, make these AH-Mazing Oatmeal Dinner Rolls, Copycat Cheesecake Factory Brown Bread,Easy Beer Bread but youll have to start these much earlier if you want to eat them with your soup.
A Few More Tips For Success
- Take care that the soup is not too hot when you add the cheese. Some cheeses, especially cheddar, can separate and become grainy under temperatures that are too high. This is why I instruct to remove the soup from heat before adding the cheese.
- Leftovers should last 3-4 days in the fridge or can be frozen for longer periods. Reheat gently on the stovetop or in the microwave.
- I do not recommend making this soup in the Instant Pot. I tried it and the broccoli gets too mushy, even at a 1 minute cook time. Using the Instant Pot would not save you much time or yield better results than stovetop in this situation.
Read Also: Best Store Bought Soups For Weight Loss
Planning A Dinner Party And Need Some Inspiration
How about looking for a new slow cooker dinner idea?
Weve got you covered in our ever-growing ! If youre not a member yet, why not?!
Were chatting cooking techniques, dessert ideas, and everything in between. If youre already a member, invite your friends to join us too!
- 2-4 tablespoons Oil, Or butter
- 1 large Onion, Diced, approximately 2 cups
- 4 Russet Potatoes, Diced, medium to large, approximately 6-8 cups
- 1/2 pound Carrot, Diced, about 2-4 small-medium carrots
- 2 tablespoons Cornstarch, Or 4 tablespoons rice flour
- 1 pound Gluten Free Ham, Diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dried Parsley
- 4 cups Chicken Stock, Or vegetable stock
- 2 cups Milk
- 1 pound Cheddar Cheese, Grated, divided
Want To Save This Recipe Create A Free Account To Easily Save Your Favorite Recipes
About the Author: Sabrina Snyder
Sabrina is a professionally trained Private Chef of over 10 years with ServSafe Manager certification in food safety. She creates all the recipes here on Dinner, then Dessert, fueled in no small part by her love for bacon.
Sabrina Snyder is a professionally trained personal and private chef of over 10 years who is the creator and developer of all the recipes on Dinner, then Dessert.
She is also the author of the upcoming cookbook: Dinner, then Dessert Satisfying Meals Using Only 3, 5 or 7 Ingredients which is being published by Harper Collins.
She started Dinner, then Dessert as a business in her office as a lunch service for her coworkers who admired her lunches before going to culinary school and becoming a full time personal chef and private chef.
As a personal chef Sabrina would cook for families one day a week and cook their entire week of dinners. All grocery shopping, cooking and cleaning was done along with instructions on reheating. As a private chef she cooked for private parties and cooked in family homes in the evenings for families on a nightly basis after working as a personal chef during the day.
Sabrina has been certified as a ServSafe Manager since 2007 and was a longstanding member of the USPCA Personal Chef Association including being on the board of the Washington DC Chapter of Chefs in the US Personal Chef Association when they won Chapter of the year.
Sabrina lives with her family in sunny California.
You May Like: Gluten Free Tomato Soup Walmart