How To Keep A Pot Pie Crust From Getting Soggy:
I get this question ALL of the time. Why is the bottom of my pie crust soggy? How can I fix this?? Follow a few of the tips below to help prevent your crust from being soft and mushy in the center:
You May Like: Cream Of Chicken Soup Recipes With Rice
Ingredients For Easy Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
- chicken breasts boneless, skinless chicken breast, or leftover rotisserie chicken works great!
- frozen mixed vegetables, onion and garlic frozen veggies work great here, the only chopping youll do is the onions and garlic.
- cream of chicken soup, milk, cheddar cheese perfect to make an easy creamy gravy for this pie.
- pie crust take a shortcut and use a pre-made pie crust.
- garlicsalt, pepper, olive oil for seasoning and to saute the vegetables.
What Can I Prepare Ahead Of Time
This chicken pot pie soup recipe is very simple but it does require some prep work as far as chopping vegetables. You can save time by:;
- Trimming chicken:; Trim chicken of any excess fat and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Prep mirepoix:;The carrots, onions and celery can all be chopped a couple days ahead of time, the night before dinner or just a few hours before cooking then stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Potatoes:;can be peeled and chopped 24 ahead of time but they will need to be submerged in a bowl of cold water in the refrigerator to prevent them from turning brown .
- Measure Spices:;It doesnt take long to measure out the spices, but you can certainly do it beforehand and store the mix in an airtight bag or container.;
Recommended Reading: Amy’s Organic Minestrone Soup
Can I Use Rotisserie Chicken
Yes!; Rotisserie chicken is my second choice to use in this recipe; after chicken thighs.;;Rotisserie chicken comes lightly seasoned for an added depth of flavor and is a mix of both light and dark meat.; It also comes perfectly tender and ready to slurp up.
To use rotisserie chicken, shred the chicken, discarding the bones and add about 3 cups shredded chicken to the soup at the end with the peas to warm through.; If using rotisserie chicken, youll skip the salt and pepper used in the beginning of the recipe to season the chicken and season to taste at the end of cooking.
Can You Freeze Chicken Pot Pie
This question comes up a lot and the answer is yes! The best way to achieve this is to prepare your;chicken pot pie up to the point before baking.
and place in the freezer for up to 1 month.
Freezing Tip: On top of the foil, write baking time and temperature in sharpie marker and the date you froze your dish.
before baking. Place frozen pie on a sheet pan and bake for 20-30 minutes longer than fresh bake.
Be sure the center is bubbling and crust is baked before removing.
Recommended Reading: Egg Drop Soup Mix Walmart
Moms Chicken Pot Pie Soup Is Comfort Food At Its Finest Print The Recipe Below To Try It Out For Yourself
- In Dutch oven, sauté onion and garlic in butter for about 2-4 minutes, or until tender.
- Sprinkle flour over the onion and stir to create a roux.
- Add in the chicken base, chicken broth, bouillon cubes , and heavy cream. Stir until combined.
- Add in the chicken, potatoes, nutmeg, pepper, salt, and peas/carrots, stirring to combine.
- Lightly simmer for about 10-15 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Sprinkle with Parsley if desired and serve warm.
What Else Can I Use To Top This Chicken Pot Pie Soup
You have a few options for topping this Chicken Pot Pie Soup, or you can enjoy it as is!
My recipe is pictured with freshly baked biscuits, and I cheated by purchasing a roll of refrigerated biscuit dough from the grocery store. Life is busy, and sometimes we need a break!
Here are a few more options:
- Homemade biscuits if you have the time
- Pie pastry rolled out into rounds and baked flat on a baking sheet
- Puff pastry rounds: cut refrigerated puff pastry into rounds or other shapes, and bake them off on a baking sheet until golden.
You May Like: Lipton Onion Soup Mix Burgers
Why This Recipe Works
- This soup is the ultimate comfort meal bringing back great memories of the kind of meals that Mom and Grandmas used to make.; Great food can be so incredibly nostalgic.
- With already baked rotisserie chicken and four ingredient biscuits that can be prepared in advance there is just not a lot of fuss here.; It is an easy to prepare one pot homemade meal that friends and family will really appreciate.
- Loaded with wholesome hearty ingredients this soup is one that you most certainly can feel good about serving to your loved ones.
- All the ingredients are readily available at your local grocery and many of them you may already have on hand.
Inspiration For This Soup
Last week, I went over my friend Zoras house and as I walked in I could smell dinner. I thought something along the line of a pot pie. When I asked what it was she said it was a Chicken Pot Pie Soup and I just had to try it. Because Zora is one of the nicest ladies I have had the pleasure of calling my friend, she got me a spoon.
Oh, it was amazing! I loved it and immediately asked for the recipe. She said, I just threw it together. But she gave me the list of ingredients and a few days later, my family and I enjoyed the same soup!
Read Also: Potato Soup With Frozen Hash Browns
How Are Leftovers Reheated
Reheat leftover creamy chicken pot pie soup on the stove over medium to medium-low heat as to not scald the cream.;
For the microwave, place soup in a microwave-safe bowl and reheat of 50% power in 1-minute intervals stirring the soup between each additional interval of time.
If the soup is too thick, add a splash of cream, milk or water to thin it out to your desired consistency.
Chrissy Teigen’s Chicken Pot Pie Soup Recipe
Provided by PineyCook
|2 sticks cold unsalted butter, cubed|
|2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting|
|1 teaspoon fine sea salt|
|1/2 cup ice water|
|6 cups low-sodium chicken broth|
|2 cups whole milk|
|2 sticks unsalted butter, cut into chunks|
|2 tablespoons minced garlic|
|1 cup all-purpose flour|
|4 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more to taste|
|1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper, or more to taste|
|1 large russet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes|
|1/2 pound diced carrots|
|1 cup frozen peas|
|1 cup frozen pearl onions|
|1/4 pound deli ham, thinly sliced|
|1 pound skinless rotisserie chicken meat, cubed|
|1/2 cup heavy cream|
You May Like: Easy Chicken Pot Pie Recipe With Cream Of Chicken Soup
Jason Biggs + Jenny Mollen Tell Rachael They’re Coming Over For
Chicken pot pie in soup form means all the comfort food flavor minus the crust.
“You’re not going to do that rich, flaky crustwhich is yummy, but super fatteningso it’s a little bit lighter and a little healthier,” says original “Queer Eye” cast member Carson Kressley.
This recipe calls for frozen veggies, but Carson likes to make it with fresh peas and corn from his garden;when they’re in season.
Can I Use Leftover Chicken Or Turkey
Simply skip the sautéing of the chicken and go right to the vegetables. Add your leftover cooked chicken or turkey in
This is perfect if you have leftovers from this Roast Chicken and Vegetables or you made a big batch of this Crockpot Shredded Chicken or Instant Pot Shredded Chicken that you have stashed in the fridge.
Don’t Miss: How To Make Vegetable Soup
Easy Steps To Make Chicken Pot Pie
Tips For Freezing This Soup
- Leave out the half and half if you plan to freeze, then it will freeze and thaw without becoming grainy. Once thawed, add the half and half mixed with cornstarch to the thawed soup and simmer until thickened.
- Regular evaporated milk, or heavy cream freeze much better than half and half. The higher the fat content, the better it freezes. If you think you might freeze this chicken pot pie soup, then plan on using either of these alternatives.
- If freezing with half and half, reheat the thawed soup very gently over low heat to help incorporate the cream back into the soup.
- If freezing with half and half, add some fresh cream or softened cream cheese to improve the grainy texture.
Read Also: Low Carb Cream Of Mushroom Soup
More About This Recipe
- We love this chicken pot pie soup not only for its classic comfort food taste, but also for its versatility. Have leftover cooked turkey? You can use that in this soup instead of chicken. No biscuits on hand? Try cutting small 1-inch rounds from Pillsbury refrigerated pie crusts and serving them baked on top of the soup. You can even mix up the veggies in this recipe to match your familys tastebroccoli, corn, carrots, green beans and onion are all good choices for this hearty soup.Feeling inspired? Most chicken soups are easily customizable like this one, and we have the recipes to get you started, along with some genius ideas for what to serve on the side.
How To Freeze It
When I freeze my Chicken Pot Pie Soup straight out of the crock pot, I like to portion it out in to individual servings. This way its easy to grab one from the freezer to heat up for a quick lunch or dinner on a busy weeknight.
Store it in an airtight container and freeze for up to 6 months.
And if youre a meal prep pro like me, I like to bake the pie crust a few days ahead, crumble it up and store it in a zip top bag so it saves me an extra step right before meal time.
You May Like: New England Soup Factory Salem Ma
How To Make Chicken Pot Pie Soup
Once you have all of your ingredients chopped and prepped, cooking this soup is easier than you think.
Kitchen Tip: A dutch oven is one of our favorite kitchen tools for making soup. This 5 1/2 Qt Dutch Oven is one of our most used tools. It conducts heat well and can go from the stove to the oven. A good pot can last a lifetime.
Other Chicken Recipes You Will Love
- For a change of pace try this soup with;Homemade Croutons or;Cheddar Biscuits with Chive Butter.
- I usually use Yukon gold potatoes for this recipe but in a pinch I have used Russet potatoes.; I usually dont recommend Russet Potatoes but with recipe I really think it is fine.; This soup which does not simmer ling enough for them to break down and the added starch helps thicken the soup.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste.; Do you like a little kick in almost all your recipes?; Simply add a few pinches of cayenne or a little creole seasoning.; It is your soup season it to suit your taste.
Keywords: how to make chicken pot pie soup, easy chicken pot pie soup, best chicken pot pie soup
You May Like: Soup Diets For Quick Weight Loss
What To Serve With Chicken Pot Pie
I know I said that chicken pot pie is by itself a complete meal, but why not transform this simple dinner into a lip-smackingly good feast. There are many flavors that go well with this dish, you will never run out of things to pair it with. Here are some of my favorite options:
- Cranberry sauce gives this meal a Thanksgiving feel anytime of year. But Im not talking about that dreadful stuff from the can. You can whip up fresh, homemade cranberry sauce in no time.
Combine 1 cup orange juice, 1/2 cup white sugar, and 1/2 cup brown sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until sugar is fully dissolved. Add in the cranberries and cook until the cranberries start to pop. Generally takes about 10 minutes.
Remove from heat and pour the cranberry sauce in a bowl. Will thicken as it cools. Add a few pinches of cinnamon for an extra tasty combo.
- A light salad is a nice way to counter-balance the richness of the pie. Your choice of leafy greens topped with citrus oranges and berries, rich cheese, crunchy nuts, and drizzled with tangy balsamic vinaigrette makes a spectacular side to your chicken pot pie.
- Roasted broccoli is another side that will lighten up your heavy main dish. Give these veggies some extra flavor by coating it with olive oil and Parmesan cheese.
- Sweet potatoes give a nice contrast to your savory dinner. Flavor it with cinnamon, butter, and your choice of seasonings and bake. Simple and delicious.
Recommended Reading: Le Creuset Cast Iron Soup Pot
Chicken Pot Pie Soup Easy Chicken Pot Pie Tater Tot Chicken Pot Pie Easy Turkey Pot Pie
Easy chicken pot pie with cream of chicken soup. Campbell S Condensed 98 Fat Free Cream Of Chicken Soup 10 5 Oz Can Easy Chicken Pot Pie Easy Chicken Pot Pie Soup With Pie Chips Sprinkle Some Fun Easy Campbells Chicken Pot Pie My Turn For Us. Mix drained can of veggies can of cream of potato soup cream of chicken soup chicken and ¼ cup milk. Olive oil onion pie crust garlic salt milk cream of chicken soup and 5 more Instant Pot Duo Crisp Chicken Pot Pie Adventures Of A Nurse garlic powder heavy cream pepper chicken breast water frozen mixed vegetables and 7 more.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Add in the celery chicken vegetables pepper both soup containers and milk. Remove from heat and stir in salt pepper.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line the bottom of a 9-inch pie plate with 1 pie crust. Sauce the onion and garlic until tender.
Campbell S Condensed 98 Fat Free Cream Of Chicken Soup 10 5 Oz Can Easy Chicken Pot Pie Easy Chicken Pot Pie Soup With Pie Chips Sprinkle Some Fun Easy Campbells Chicken Pot Pie My Turn For Us. Stir the soup 12 cup milk vegetables and chicken in a 9-inch pie plate or ovenproof skillet. Heat the oven to 400F.
While the oven is heating stir the soup milk thyme vegetables and chicken in a 13x9x2-inch baking dish. Stir the soup milk chicken and vegetables in a medium bowl. In a large mixing bowl combine frozen veggies cooked chicken cream of chicken soup milk and shredded cheddar.
Chicken Pot Pie Bubble Up Recipes Chicken Recipes Cooking Recipes
You May Like: Lipton Onion Soup Mix Nutrition Information
How To Make Chicken Pot Pie Soup In A Crock Pot
- Saute onions. This is an optional, but recommended step. Saute butter and onion in a medium skillet until soft and starting to brown.
- Slow cook the soup. Place chicken breasts in slow cooker and season with poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper. Top with sauteed onion, chicken broth, and bay leaf and cook on low heat in Crock Pot until chicken is cooked through. Remove bay leaf and chicken breasts.
- Shred chicken. Take the chicken out of the slow cooker, shred, and set aside.
- Make it creamy. Heat cream cheese in a medium bowl until soft and place into blender. Working quickly, ladle a cup of broth into blender and blend until smooth. Add more broth and blend again. It should be a smooth liquid. If its thick, add more broth and if its chunky, keep blending. Sprinkle xanthan gum into blender and blend again. It will start to thicken.
- Cook peas and carrots. Turn the slow cooker to high heat and add frozen peas and carrots. Theyll cook pretty quickly, about 15 minutes or so.
- Assemble. Whisk in cream cheese mixture to soup until smooth. Add shredded chicken and adjust salt if needed.