Soup Diet Review: Do They Work For Weight Loss
A soup diet is generally a short-term eating plan thats designed to help individuals lose weight quickly.
Instead of one official soup diet, there are several soup-based diets. While some involve only eating soup for the duration of the diet, others also include a limited list of allowable foods.
As the idea is to lose weight quickly, most of these diets are only meant to last for 510 days.
This article reviews different types of soup diets, pros and cons of these diets, and whether a soup diet is effective for weight loss.
There are many types of soup diets, with some of the more popular ones listed below. Just keep in mind that theres currently no research on the effectiveness of these specific diets.
What Is The Cabbage Soup Diet
The Cabbage Soup Diet has variations, but it is mainly:
Yet it is not vegetarian or vegan because limited amounts of beef and chicken are allowed on a couple of days. This is a rigid diet with not a lot of room for tweaks, just like the military diet.
The Spinach Hemp Soup
Spinach hemp soup is another fantastic low-calorie weight loss soup recipe that you should include in your diet plan. It is also one of the easiest weight loss soup you can make.
This soup is made from a combination of powerful ingredients that will supply your body with enough nutrients.
It is made from spinach, sweet potato, and also hemp. Spinach is known to supply the body with calcium, decrease craving, and help lose weight.
NB-You can also use squash or pumpkin in place of sweet potato.
- ¼ cup of hemp hearts
How to Make Spinach Hemp Soup
- Add all the above ingredients into a high-powered blender.
- Blend until the mixture appears smooth.
Don’t Miss: Easy Potato Soup With Frozen Hash Browns
The Cabbage Soup Diet For Weight Loss
The weight loss cabbage soup is one of the best and also most popular fat flush soup out there. It is very inexpensive to prepare and is loaded with nutrients. Its main ingredient, cabbage, is a healthy vegetable that is packed with vitamin C and also loaded with fiber.
This high fiber content makes sure you not only enjoy a low-calorie soup for weight loss, but you also consume a soup that easily fills you up.
Research has shown how beneficial fiber is to control appetite. Therefore, the cabbage soup diet will help to reduce the rate at which you consume food, thereby reducing your daily calorie intake.
- One large can of diced tomatoes
- About 1-2 cubes of Bouillon
- 48 0z. of low sodium V-8 juice
- ½ teaspoon of hot sauce
- A teaspoon of olive oil
How to Make Cabbage Soup
- `Begin by rinsing all the vegetables and then chop them into tiny pieces.
- Take the olive oil and heat it in a pan.
- Thereafter, add some onions to the sauté and leave for few minutes till you notice the onions begin to sweat.
- Add in the pepper and also the celery and sauté them with the onion for about 4-5 minutes.
- Pour in the V-8 juice, water, hot sauce, tomatoes and the bouillon cube.
- Allow it to boil and thereafter, reduce it to simmer until you notice your vegetables become tender. This should take about 15 minutes.
- Then core the cabbage and shred it. Add it into the pot and cook the soup for about 10 minutes again.
- After 10 minutes, you can then serve yourself and enjoy your soup.
Cons Of The Cabbage Soup Diet
The ultimate negative of the cabbage soup diet is that its incredible restrictive and too low in calories.
Low in calories and unsustainable
If done for a number of days the person could miss out on vital calories, protein, vitamins and minerals essential for the body to function and to allow you to carry out your day-to-day tasks, Nutritionist Jasmine Carbon says. The person following such a diet may see the effects, but a diet like this is not sustainable and should not be practiced for an extended period of time.
Wreaks havoc on your blood sugar levels
Nutritionist Mina agrees, adding that the diets focus on cabbage soup can wreak havoc with your blood sugar levels. Low blood sugar often leaves people feeling faint, weak, unable to concentrate and its dangerous particularly for those with diabetes.
Causes flatulence and bloating
The cabbage soup diet is also famous for leaving those who follow it with serious flatulence, an unwanted side-effected backed up by science. It happens because cabbage is high in fibre, which naturally causes wind, and it can cause additional digestive issues for those who arent used to eating so much fibre in their daily diet.
Expect to experience some gastro-intestinal discomfort such as bloating, gas build up, nausea and flatulence, adds Jasmine. Diarrhoea is another common side-effect of the cabbage soup diet plan.
Also Check: Lipton Pot Roast
How Is Weight Lost By Following The 7
The weighing scale will tip in your favor because this meal plan causes a massive calorie deficit in your daily diet . This limited menu will give you less than 1000 calories a day. Men are generally not recommended to consume fewer than 1500 calories per day, while the minimum is 1200 for females. Since you are taking much fewer calories, you lose most of your water weight rapidly.
Why does cabbage soup make you lose weight? This restrictive soup makes you shed several pounds because the severe reduction of calorie-intake leads the body to utilize fat as an energy source when calorie intake is very low. This burning of fat is what results in weight loss.
Only 34% of the weight lost is from fat. The remaining 66% is from muscle mass and lost water weight. This water weight is from glycogen stores, where the body stores carbohydrates for energy. When you consume fewer calories than required, the body utilizes the reserve energy first before turning to fat, and also removes extra water stored with the glycogen.
Does The Cabbage Soup Diet Work
The cabbage soup diet is effective only if you understand how its supposed to work and respect all the given rules. Cabbage is a vegetable with a very low content of calories and when you eat a low amount of calories, two thing happen: your body has nothing to store as fat and it starts to burn its adipose tissue to produce the energy it needs. In addition, cabbage, especially prepared in a soup, makes for a very watery dish to consume. This controls your appetite and fills up your stomach, so you wont overeat.
It will also control other aspects, such as the potassium levels in your body and blood pressure. In addition, cabbage lowers cholesterol levels and boosts cardiovascular health. It is also good for the liver, helping it get rid of unwanted substances or anything thats in excess.
The liver is one of the most important organs when it comes to maintaining a healthy weight. Cruciferous vegetables, cabbage included, also fight inflammation in the body and have healing effects in case of tumors. Their effects on cancer cells are being researched. The anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects were already proven.
You May Like: Cream Of Mushroom Soup Pot Roast
Day Recipe For Cabbage Soup Weight Loss Diet Plan
Cover the veggies with water and V-8 Juice. Then add the bouillon cube, hot sauce, and tomatoes. Boil for few minutes and then reduce the heat and leave to simmer till the veggies become soft. Finally, shred your cabbage and add it to the soup and cook your soup for another 10 minutes.
The full 7 Day Diet is listed below the soup recipe. Recipe for Peel-a-Pound Soup 1 large can of Stewed or Whole Tomatoes 1 Envelope of Onion Soup Mix 4 Cups of Water 6-7 Beef Bullion cubes 1 Head of Cabbage 1/2 Stalk Celery 2 Bell Peppers 2 Onions 5 Garlic toes. Into a large dutch oven or stock pot, add 1 large can of stewed or whole tomatoes.
Combine tomatoes, cabbage, carrots, peppers, celery, and onions into a large pot. Add tomato juice, beef broth, onion soup mix and water enough to cover the vegetables. Bring the content of the pot to a simmer over medium to low heat until the vegetables are cooked and tender. When cooked, remove from heat and serve.
The cabbage soup diet is generally considered a fad diet. As the name suggests, the diet requires that you eat large amounts of cabbage soup for seven days. During that time, you can also eat certain fruits and vegetables, beef, chicken, and brown rice, according to a set schedule. Proponents of the cabbage soup diet say it’s a good way to quickly lose a few pounds.
9/5/2015 The BEST Cabbage Soup Diet Recipe Wonder Soup 7 Day Diet | Divas Can Cook become vip!
Diet Not Endorsed By A Hospital
This diet is not recommended
- The Sacred Heart Hospital in Montreal Canada issued a press release in 2004 stating that no nutritionist at the Hospital took part in the development of this diet.
- The American Heart Association have claimed that the diet is phony .
- The Sacred Heart Medical Center also disclaim any association with the diet .
While people have reported losing a lot of weight on The Sacred Heart Diet, it is not a diet that will promote long-term healthy weight loss¹ ².
Most people gain the weight back quickly and have to keep repeating fad diets like this over and over again.
Diets that become a lifestyle teach portion control, address emotional eating issues, and are not very restrictive.
My Sacred Heart Diet is a book version of the diet and retails for $19. This is an improved and healthier version of the original.
You May Like: Campbell Soup Chicken And Rice Casserole
Cauliflower Soup For Weight Loss
The cauliflower soup ranks up there as one of the easiest vegetable weight loss soup recipes you can think of.
It makes use of only a few ingredients to give you a healthy, satisfying and creamy result. My favorite!
This is definitely one weight loss soup recipe you dont want to avoid. Follow the guide below to prepare the easy cauliflower soup.
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Cauliflower Soup Diet Recipe
- Add the cauliflower, carrot, celery, onion, and chicken broth, in a large pot. Bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat Cover and simmer for 12-17 minutes or until vegetables are tender .
- The liquid will barely cover the veggies. In another large saucepan, melt the butter for the roux.
- Stir in the flour, salt, and pepper until smooth.
- Whisk the milk in slowly. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Cook and stir the mixture for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Stir in the cheese until melted.
- Add hot pepper sauce if desired.
- Stir into the cauliflower mixture until combined.
- Puree about 2 1/2 cups of the soup in the blender and pour back into the soup.
- Your soup is ready to be served.
Weight loss soups should be an important part of your daily weight lossdiet plans. They are simple, effective and also healthy ways to help you lose weight and also prevent further weight gain. They help to control your calorie count by curbing your hunger.
The above weight loss soup recipes are the easiest and also the best homemade weight loss soup out there.
The Special K Diet Can You Really Drop A Jeans Size In Two Weeks
If youre looking to lose weight in a healthy way, its better to focus on calories in versus calories out. To lose weight, the energy you take in from food must be less than the energy you use, guidance says. So, instead of reducing calorie intake down to a unhealthy level, set yourself realistic goals to achieve a healthy weight.
Try to make healthy diet and lifestyle changes you can keep, even after you have reached your desired weight, so you do not regain the weight you have lost.
Don’t Miss: Anderson Inn Buellton
Cabbage Soup Diet Recipe And Review: How Much Weight Can You Lose
If you can stomach the constant soups , the cabbage soup diet may be a quick fix for weight loss.
But much like other extreme diets, in the long-term its not going to work and evidence suggests that people shortly put the weight theyve lost back on. Cabbage is a great source of fibre and its essential for gut flora and bowel health, says nutritionist Mina Khan. However, it should be eaten as part of a balanced diet. This is not a diet I would recommend anyone to follow.
Despite this, year after year, many people still look to this plan and other extreme weight loss methods as a way to change their eating habits. While there are so many other diets that work out there, if you want to know what the fuss is about, this is what the experts want you to know about the cabbage soup diet.
Raw Cashew Ranch Dip With Vegetables
TO MAKE: Soak 1 cup of raw cashews in water for 2 hours. Drain water and place cashews in a food processor. Add in 3/4 cup water, 1 teaspoon garlic, 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar, 1 teaspoon dill weed, 1 1/2 teaspoons parsley, 1 teaspoon chives, and 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder . Blend until creamy. Season with sea salt and black pepper to bring out the taste. Store in fridge. *NOTE* You can season this any way you like, you can make it sweet with cinnamon and stevia or savory. If you dont like ranch then just add your favorite seasonings. Its that creamy base youre going for!
Don’t Miss: Lipton Soup Pot Roast Oven
How Does The Cabbage Soup Diet Work
The concept is fairly simple: you make and eat as much cabbage soup as you want.
Generally though, people eat between two and three bowls per day.
Cabbage soup contains virtually zero calories, so the idea behind the diet is that you feel full while losing weight due to being in an intense calorie deficit.
While the cabbage element is naturally essential for this diet, you can eat other low-fat foods while on the plan. Mina, founder of Formulate Health, says, The soup doesnt only contain cabbage. Many recipes include green peppers, onions, mushrooms and other vegetables.
As well as cabbage soup, the diet allows you to start incorporating different fruits and vegetables in the first few days, and slowly reintroduces lean meats, dairy and rice towards the end of the 7 day program.
This Vegetable Soup Diet Is Low Sodium Low Carb And Low Sugar
Since this is a vegetable soup, I like to use low sodium broth . You can indeed use chicken broth if youd prefer.
Again, this 7 day weight loss soup diet is just like the cabbage soup diet. The soup its self is like a low glycemic diet. Its low in sugar & carbs.
Keep in mind that this soup diet is not meant to last longer than 7 days.
Recommended Reading: Lipton Onion Soup Pot Roast Stove Top
Tips And Recipe Variations For Detox Cabbage Soup Diet
Here are some things you should keep in mind:
- It is not advisable to change the ingredients of this soup because it is meant for weight loss and detox. Furthermore, alterations of the ingredients may make the soup ineffective.
- If your cooking pot is big, make large amounts of this soup, then store it for later.
- Preserve the soup by putting it in an airtight container, then refrigerating for a maximum of 4 days. You can freeze the soup for up to 2 months.
- When you take the soup from the freezer, allow it to thaw before warming it. You can reheat it over the stove using a boiling pot or by putting it in the microwave.
- For detoxing purposes, cabbage soup should be taken alone. Since it is meant to flush out impurities, you should take more water than usual when on this diet to keep the body thoroughly flushed and to allow the soup to work perfectly.
Create A Free Account To Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON WEIGHT LOSS CABBAGE SOUP
- Meat: There are a lot of ways you can change up the recipe. To make it more filling, try adding in some meat like chicken, turkey, or beef. It may not be as low in calories, but it will still be healthy and delicious. If youre starting with raw meat, youll want to sauté it for a few minutes ahead of time to get it browned. If you dont want to add meat, but still want to make the recipe more filling you could cook in some lentils with your Cabbage Soup.
- Broth: You can exchange the vegetable broth in the recipe for chicken broth or beef broth if you prefer. You can also use low-sodium broth if youre trying to reduce sodium.
- Add-ins: There are lots of vegetable and spice/herb add-ins you can put in the soup if youd like to change up the taste. Try adding some bell peppers, green beans, green peppers, or seasonings like red pepper flakes, paprika, and Italian seasoning.
MORE CABBAGE RECIPES
Read Also: Lipton French Onion Soup Meatloaf
How To Follow The Cabbage Soup Diet
via Dr. Axe
Personally, we found the Cabbage Soup Diet very easy to stick to. Within a day you are looking and feeling so much better. Your body is so much more energized and your skin will start to look more hydrated.
On the 7-day diet, you follow a specific eating plan that is restricted to certain foods Its important that you keep your water and green tea up as the Cabbage Soup has excellent detoxifying properties too.