How To Make Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup:
**scroll down for full ingredients list and printable directions**
- Get all the ingredients together. Use a medium to large stock pot/dutch oven to make this soup.
- First cook the chicken and set aside. Then cook the vegetables by sautéing them. Add the flour and mix in with the vegetables and butter, then slowly add the broth, milk, cream, and spices. Bring the mixture to a boil and then simmer for a few minutes. It will start to thicken while simmering.
- Add the gnocchi and fresh spinach and simmer for 5 minutes, then add the chicken back to the pot and cook another 10 minutes. Serve the Olive Garden Copycat Chicken Gnocchi Soup immediately.
Can You Use A Crockpot
Positively! Youll need to switch things up a little, though. Heres how to make slow cooker soup:
Pro-tip: If the soup turns out too thin, thicken it with a bit of cornstarch and water. Add the mixture into the soup and stir until thick.
Olive Garden Chicken Gnocchi Soup
Ever since I posted my , Zuppa Toscana recipe, I have been itching to make an Olive Garden Chicken Gnocchi Soup Copycat because I knew I could make it lighter while tasting equally delicious and because gnocchi in soup yasssss!
This lighter Chicken Gnocchi Soup is one of the most comforting, flavorful soups on the planet. Its super hearty but comes together quickly as most of the prep time is hands off waiting while the chicken breasts simmer in the soup until shreddable for extra juicy chicken . If you want to make this Chicken Gnocchi Soup uber quickly, then you can also use shredded rotisserie chicken instead of raw chicken breasts and then just simmer the soup until thickened.
Along with chicken and potato gnocchi, this Chicken Gnocchi Soup boasts shredded carrots, celery, and spinach to stay true to the original, but you can always customize the veggies with your favs or whatever you have on hand. Now add this Chicken Gnocchi Soup to your MUST TRY list because it is destined to become a family favorite forever and ever!
Don’t Miss: Sloppy Joes Recipe With Tomato Soup
Can You Use A Crockpot For This Recipe
Yes, you can. I personally like to saute the vegetables first before I prepare the soup. You dont need to do that if you like.
Simply place all of the vegetables with the exception of the kale, chicken, seasonings, and stock into the crockpot. Cook on low for 4 hours. Shred the chicken, add in the remaining ingredients and cook for another hour.
If the soup is too thin for you, make a cornstarch slurry of 1 tablespoon of cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons of water. Stir the cornstarch slurry into the soup and turn the crockpot on high and stir until the soup has thickened.
Better Than Olive Garden Chicken Gnocchi Soup
Love the Chicken Gnocchi Soup from Olive Garden? If so, youre going to fall head over heals for this Olive Garden Copycat recipe! This soup is Better Than Olive Garden Chicken Gnocchi Soup and its full of flavor, chicken and gnocchi!
RECIPE IS BELOW IN PRINTABLE RECIPE CARD BUT BLOG POST IS FULL OF HOW TO MAKE IT, TIPS, INFORMATION AND FAQ
When we lived down at Camp Lejeune, NC, we were so excited when we finally got an Olive Garden! I fell in love with their Chicken Marsala, Salad and Chicken Gnocchi Soup! However, I found myself more and more disappointed with the Chicken Gnocchi Soup at Olive Garden as the years went on. It became more watery and sometimes Id order Chicken Gnocchi Soup only to get a bowl of hot milk and spinach with maybe one piece of gnocchi and no chicken.
So that only meant one thing! I need to make my own at home! This is my copycat version of Olive Gardens Chicken Gnocchi Soup and I think its Better Than Olive Gardens Chicken Gnocchi Soup to be honest!
Recommended Reading: Walmart Campbell’s Chunky Soup
How To Make Chicken And Gnocchi Soup
Whip up your own better-than Olive Garden Chicken and Gnocchi Soup in about an hour for a fraction of the cost!
How To Enjoy It
I also love that this Olive Garden Chicken Gnocchi Soup is pretty much a complete meal on its own. Of course you could serve it with a crisp green salad and a loaf of crusty bread.
But you don’t have to! It’s already brimming with meat, carbs, and veggies, between chunks of plump chicken, soft potato gnocchi, tender carrots, and fresh spinach.
Olive Garden Chicken Gnocchi Soup Recipe
This copycat version of the Olive Garden Chicken Gnocchi Soup is loaded with carrots, celery, spinach, and tender chicken all wrapped up in a rich and creamy broth.
But while all those ingredients make for an incredible tasting soup, the star of the dish is the gnocchi.
Want to save this recipe? Enter your email below and we’ll send the recipe straight to your inbox!
These soft, pillowy chunks of heaven make this soup melt-in-your mouth good.
And while you might think its as hard to make as it is to spell it, think again! This recipe is so easy, youll have it on the dinner table in less than 30 minutes.
Recreate this Olive Garden favorite in the comfort of your home. But first
Olive Garden Chicken And Gnocchi Soup
If you havent had Olive Gardens Chicken and Gnocchi Soup youre missing out!
This recipe is lightened up to make it WW friendly. Only 5 points per serving for the blue pan and purple plan, 7 points for the green plan.
Not only is this recipe delicious but its also easy to make.
I made this soup in my cast iron Dutch oven. I bought it on Amazon a while back and I absolutely love it. Its great for making soup and its easy to clean.
This is the one I bought:
It also comes in red and white.
If you dont have a Dutch oven you can use a large pot to make the soup.
What kind of chicken should you use?
You need cooked chicken to make this Olive Garden Chicken and Gnocchi soup. Its a perfect recipe for store bought rotisserie chicken.
Or you can use leftover chicken. I used just the chicken breasts .
What is gnocchi?
Gnocchi is not a type of pasta, its a dumpling made out of potatoes. Much like pasta it goes great with sauce or in a soup.
Theres a few things I did to lighten up this recipe. First, I limited the amount of butter/olive oil. I only used one teaspoon of each.
Instead of using heavy cream I found a way to lighten up the creamy broth. I used fat free half and half.
Half and half is a combination of milk and cream. Its perfect for this soup because its richer than milk but lighter than heavy cream.
I used chicken broth for my soup but you can also use chicken stock. I prefer the taste of chicken broth.
How to make Olive Garden Chicken and Gnocchi Soup:
Recommended Reading: Campbell Soup Chicken And Rice Casserole
This Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup Is A Family Favorite Recipe That Is Delicious And Comforting Its Easy To Make And Filled With Tasty Vegetables And Gnocchi
Making soup isnt only for cold days, especially with this delicious recipe! This is a staple soup in our home, and I often bring it to new parents, potlucks, and to friends when they are sick. Everyone always loves it and begs for the recipe because it tastes just like Olive Gardens Chicken Gnocchi Soup! Pair this with the Best Ever Garlic Bread and you have the perfect meal!
Chicken Gnocchi soup is one of Olive Gardens most popular dishes, but now you can make it at home with this copycat recipe. It tastes so good, and its super easy to make. With options to lighten it up at home, you dont have to feel guilty about eating it. Serve this delicious soup with a side of crusty garlic bread or a delicious wedge salad and you have the perfect meal!
Perfect For A Meal Delivery
I could totally see this chicken gnocchi soup being a great bring-to-a-new-mom-or-sick-friend type of meal. Its easy to throw together, its got that basic-yummy flavor that families love, theres some redeeming vegetables in with all that creamy awesomeness, it saves well in the fridge or freezer win, win, win, all around.
I have brought it to a few friends with a loaf of the Miracle No-Knead Bread and the bread + the chicken gnocchi soup combo get rave reviews every time.
Match made in heaven, Id say.
This recipe was adapted from Jessicas version she introduced me to the genius of using evaporated milk!
Read Also: Campbell’s Chunky Soup Walmart
How To Make Chicken Gnocchi Soup:
- In large dutch oven or stock pot, melt butter and olive oil together.
- Add your onions, carrots and garlic and cook until onions become translucent.
- Whisk in your flour and let cook for a minute, slowly stir in your chicken broth and simmer until it starts to thicken up.
- Meanwhile in pan cook your gnocchi according to package directions, drain and set aside.
- Add your milk to your veggie and chicken broth mix and bring to a boil, stir in your seasonings.
- Once at a boil reduce heat and add your gnocchi, spinach and chicken simmering until heated through and thickened.
This gnocchi soup recipe can literally be whipped up in less than 30 minutes which makes it the IDEAL weeknight dinner. It is easily able to be doubled with no trouble at all.
Chicken And Gnocchi Soup
Our boys used to enjoy Olive Garden Chicken and gnocchi soup on the rare occasions we ate out. It didn’t seem overly complicated, so I went hunting for recipes and tweaked them until our family loved the results.
I hope you enjoy this comfort food as much as we do.
Don’t Miss: Knorr Vegetable Soup Mix Gluten Free
Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup
You guys are going to love the incredible creamy and rich broth. It is flavored with the perfect amount of seasonings and it even has one of my favorite herbs inside. thyme. The added chicken and gnocchi are so hearty. When you add in the freshness of the shredded carrots, celery, and spinach this soup is full of flavor! Put this on your list of must try soups! You will not regret it.
This chicken gnocchi soup is full of flavor in every bite. The combination of the vegetables, creamy broth and gnocchi give this soup 5 stars. It is simple to make and so delicious! Make this a complete meal by serving this favorite olive garden soup with homemade breadtwists and a side salad asparagus salad with lemon vinaigrette or antipasto salad.
What To Serve With Chicken Gnocchi Soup
More Copycat Recipes:
You May Like: Is Knorr Spinach Dip Gluten Free
How To Make Olive Garden Chicken And Gnocchi Soup
Tips and Tricks
- Choose the right cookware. A Dutch oven is ideal for this chicken and gnocchi soup recipe, but a large stockpot will get the job done as well. Because this yields so many servings, I recommend a 4-quart capacity at minimum but larger is better.
- Adjust the consistency. I used two packages of the dumplings for a heartier bowl, but feel free to reduce the amount to one package so it comes out thinner.
- Use pre-cooked chicken. You could easily throw in some leftovers or rotisserie meat to save some time. Simply omit the olive oil and begin by cooking the onions in the 2 tablespoons of butter before proceeding as instructed.
- Play with spices. While Italian seasoning is quick and easy, you can use any combination of dried basil, oregano, rosemary, and/or thyme for better control over the flavor.
Kitchen Tools You Will Need
- Dutch Oven – I love this set and use it all the time. It is perfect for roasts, and I especially love it for my one-pot meals.
- Box Grater – Comes with a catch tray for a mess-free job and easy measuring.
How To Make Gnocchi:
Gnocchi is made from potatoes, flour, and eggs. It seems like an odd combination I would have never thought of, but I am so happy someone did! Although it does take time to make from scratch, making gnocchi can be so fun!
When I am in the mood and I have the time, I enjoy making it myself. However, it tastes great store bought too! If you are hoping to try it from scratch here is the breakdown:
Don’t Miss: Olive Garden Lunch Soup And Salad
Copycat Olive Garden Chicken Gnocchi Soup
I am an avid soup lover! It’s a whole meal in a bowl. Whenever we go to Olive Garden, I like to order the “soup, salad, and bread sticks” for my meal with the chicken gnocchi soup. My favorite!
Unfortunately, we don’t live all that close to an Olive Garden, so we don’t get there much, so I decided to make my own Copycat Olive Garden Chicken Gnocchi soup! It’s pretty darn close, if you ask me. Maybe even better.
This copycat Olive Garden chicken gnocchi soup is warm and creamy with juicy chicken, pillowy gnocchi, and fresh spinach.
The secret ingredient in this recipe is thyme. It’s unexpected, but absolutely necessary. You can use fresh thyme or ground, just as long as it’s in there
What Gnocchi Should I Use
A plain potato gnocchi works best in this recipe. High quality gnocchi is really important to make sure you get that soft texture with no strange artificial tastes.
The absolute best gnocchi for your soup is the kind you make at home from scratch. This homemade potato gnocchi is soft, fluffy, and the best you’ll ever have.
Just prepare it according to the recipe. Then, when the soup recipe calls for the gnocchi, add it and let it boil for 2 minutes to cook.
Recommended Reading: Egg Drop Soup Mix Walmart
Helpful Tips Tricks & Equipment
- When making slow cooker recipes, please keep in mind that not all slow cookers are created equal. What I mean by that is older models of slow cookers really do cook slow. Newer, modern-day slow cookers, however, have a higher wattage and run âhotterâ than they used to, in order to meet current USDA food safety guidelines. Therefore, you need to be familiar with how your slow cooker cooks and, if necessary, adjust the cooking time in slow cooker recipes accordingly.
- Of the four different slow cookers that I own , my favorite model of current slow cookers is this one. I love that it doesnât get as hot as my other newer-model slow cookers. It still runs hotter than my trusty 15-year-old slow cooker, mind youâ¦but on the other hand, itâs not boiling after an hour like one of the other new/modern slow cookers that I own. In fact, out of all of my slow cookers, it gives the most consistent results and is the least likely to burn or overcook.
- Use fat-free half-and-half or whole milk for an even lighter soup. Or use heavy cream to make it more decadent!
Simple Prep With The Help Of Store
As I mentioned, this soup isnt just delicious. Its easy to make too. And one of the things that makes it that way is a few store-bought ingredients.
Store-bought gnocchi, for example. Youll find it in the pasta aisle, the refrigerated pasta section, and the frozen food section. Some stores wont have all three kinds, but thats okay because any kind works in this recipe .
I also use a 32-ounce package of chicken broth and packaged baby spinach .
Some recipes for this soup also use shredded carrots, which you can buy already prepared. But I think that small carrot sticks better replicate the restaurant version. If you dont mind trading a little authenticity for convenience, though, shredded carrots will absolutely workuse about a cup.
Some recipes also use cooked chicken, but I find I can use raw chicken and cook it right in the soup, avoiding the need to pre-cook. If you have cooked chicken on hand, however, you can absolutely use that insteadsee the recipe for details.
Add some Olive Garden-y breadsticks and a green salad with Italian dressing, and youve got all the feels of a yummy dinner out right in your own home.
- Yield:68 servings 1x
You May Like: Campbell’s Chunky Soup Walmart