For The Cream Of Mushroom Soup:
Saute 4oz minced mushrooms plus 1 Tablespoon minced shallot in 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until the mushrooms release their liquid. Continue to saute until the liquid cooks off and the mushrooms are tender, 5-7 minutes. Scoop the mushroom mixture into a bowl then set aside.
Lower the heat to medium then melt 2 Tablespoons butter or vegan butter, sprinkle in 2-1/2 Tablespoons gluten-free flour, and whisk for 1 minute. Slowly stream in 3/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth while whisking to create a smooth sauce then add 1/2 cup milk plus 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Simmer until thickened then stir the mushrooms back into the soup.
Im telling you pure condensed soup GOLD, right here!! I hope you love these soup recipes and get many uses out of them for years to come. Enjoy!
Vegan Cream Of Mushroom Soup Recipe Tips
This vegan cream of mushroom soup recipe is dedicated to my mom who helped test and finalize the recipe a few years ago. Btw, just because she’s Momma TKG doesn’t mean I get a pass on my recipes. If something isn’t right, she’ll let me know. So, thanks mom…we nailed this one!
Vegan Cream Of Mushrooms Soup Ingredients:
extra virgin olive oil – Feel free to use your favorite oil of choice. I personally love the rich flavor EVOO brings to the table.
mushrooms – I have always used classic white button mushrooms or baby bellas for this recipe. In my mind, there’s no need to get fancy or expensive mushrooms, but you if wanna, hey knock yourself out!
shallot – These are in the onion family, but are considered milder in flavor and aroma. If you don’t have shallots, my second favorite option is the almighty green onion.
fresh garlic – I highly recommend fresh garlic but garlic powder would work fine too.
chickpea flour – also called garbanzo flour is how we roll for this gluten-free mushroom soup recipe. If you’re not gluten restricted, you can use all-purpose flour, you’ll need to cut the amount in half.
dry sherry – Optional ingredient, but highly recommended. I love the flavor and aroma dry sherry brings to this mushroom soup recipe.
unsweetened almond milk – you can use any non-dairy milk for this recipe. My readers have offered testimonials for various types of milk and they all win! You can also do 1/2 milk and 1/2 vegetable broth for a lower calorie option. It won’t be quite as creamy but it will still be delish!
nutmeg – This is optional, of course, but nutmeg is a classic ingredient in any cream of mushroom soup, in my book.
salt and pepper
Read Also: Campbell Soup Chicken And Rice Casserole
Can I Freeze Gluten Free Cream Of Mushroom Soup
You can absolutely freeze gluten free cream of mushroom soup.
In fact, you can make a double or triple batch and freeze it for later, which is a huge time saver.
To freeze gluten free cream of mushroom soup, pour the cooled gluten free mushroom soup into freezer bags and squeeze out all the air.
Lay flat and freeze until solid, and then you can position your frozen cream of mushroom soup wherever you’d like in the freezer.
What Is Cream Of Mushroom Soup
This soup consists of a simple roux mixed with milk or cream and mushrooms or mushroom broth.
In the U.S. and other countries, this soup has become incredibly popular thanks to its ease of use. Cream of mushroom soup often comes as a condensed soup in a can or box, ready to be used immediately.
To make this soup shelf-stable, most manufacturers add a lot of sodium, monosodium glutamate , starch, and flavoring. This means that your canned soup is not exactly healthy and could result in high blood pressure, high cholesterol, or just weight gain. Still, you can surely imitate the flavors with other alternatives.
Don’t Miss: Beefy Lipton Onion Soup Mix
Make Your Own Gf Cream Of Mushroom Soup
If you want to make a hearty cream soup without adding cream, there are several ways to create a creamy taste without using dairy. In many recipes, the simple substitution of coconut or almond milk in place of dairy milk will impart that silky, rich taste.
For those who can tolerate nuts, cashew cream is a rich, tasty substitute.
Dont forget your veggies, too. Try simply pureeing the soup ingredients without adding any cream. Potatoes, cauliflower and carrots all add body and a creamy consistency to soups.
Can I Freeze The Cream Of Mushroom Soup
Its easy to freeze cream of mushroom soup. Let the soup cool completely before placing it in a freezer-safe container and freezing it. Leave about an inch of space between the soup and the containers lid when filling it.
The milk can separate from the rest of the liquid, but it should return to normal upon thawing and reheating it. You can also not add the dairy or non-dairy milk, simply add it in when youve reheated the soup.
Don’t Miss: Chicken Soup Canned Dog Food
Is Cream Of Mushroom Soup Gluten Free
Most store bough cream of mushrooms soups are not gluten free. They use wheat as a thickener. There are a few store-bought brands that use gluten free alternatives to thicken the soup.
Using this gluten free cream of mushroom soup in other recipes:
Finding a cream of mushroom soup at the store can sometimes be difficult and expensive. There are a few store-bought gluten free cream of mushroom soups but they are often hard to find.
To use this recipe in a casserole or dish that calls for gluten free mushroom soup you’ll need to make a slight adjustment. Instead of adding the second cad of broth, leave it out. This will create thicker soup that is similar to concentrate.
Measure out your soup per your recipe. If you’re recipe calls for 1 can of gluten free cream of mushroom soup you can add about two cups of your concentrate gluten free cream of mushroom soup.
Ingredients in Gluten Free Cream of Mushroom Soup
If you have any questions about substitutions please leave me a comment below and I will get back to you.
You’re going to love the flavors and textures of this creamy gluten free mushroom soup. Remember to continue to stir this soup as it cooks so it doesn’t burn to the bottom of the pan. If you have any questions please let me know.
More Gluten Free Soup Recipes:
How To Thicken Mushroom Soup
You may find that the soup isn’t as creamy if you use a vegan, non-dairy milk substitute.
To remedy this, make a cornstarch slurry and add some nutritional yeast to thicken the homemade gluten free mushroom soup.
- Add 2 tablespoons of non-dairy milk to 2 tablespoons of cornstarch.
- Add the slurry to the soup.
- Add 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup nutritional yeast.
Don’t Miss: Where Is Onion Soup Mix In Walmart
How To Use Gluten Free Cream Of Mushroom Soup
This recipe makes a thicker gluten free soup, similar to a gluten free condensed cream of mushroom soup.
It is perfect for using in all of your favorite creamy casserole recipes.
This cream of mushroom soup substitute gluten free makes about the same amount as a can of gluten free mushroom soup.
You you can easily substitute it in all of your favorite recipes without having leftover cream of mushroom soup!
You could also use it as a vegan gravy over my gluten free biscuits.
Can I Make Gf Cream Of Mushroom Soup Ahead Of Time
Yes! You can make this cream of mushroom soup up to 3 days ahead of time. Id recommend storing it in well-sealed glass jars in the refrigerator.
Since were using rice flour to thicken the soup, and not cornstarch, the liquid shouldnt separate out from the mixture like it otherwise would. The soup will clump, though, so just reheat it over a very low flame on the stovetop, whisking constantly.
Recommended Reading: Instant Pot Potato Soup Frozen Hash Browns
Can I Freeze Mushroom Soup
Of course! There’s nothing better than having a supply of this tasty mushroom soup recipe waiting to be heated up.
Next time you make this delicious soup, you may want to double the recipe to freeze half for later.
1. Store the soup. You can pour the soup into freezer-safe food storage containers.
Some people also like freezing soup in gallon Ziploc freezer bags. This can be a bit tricky to do. But then you can stack the frozen soup, which saves space.
To pour the soup into the freezer bag, place the bag in a bowl. Then cuff the bag over the edge of the bowl. Ladle the soup into each bag.
Then carefully press out any air. Seal up the bag.
Remember to label and date the containers or bags with a Sharpie.
2. Freeze the soup. Stack the containers or lay the Ziploc freezer bags flat in a single layer in the freezer. After the bags freeze, you can then stack them to save freezer space.
The soup should remain good for at least three months.
3. Thaw and reheat. To thaw, defrost the containers overnight in the refrigerator.
Another way to thaw the frozen soup is to place the containers or freezer bags in a large bowl full of room temperature water. The soup should thaw in a few hours.
Then you warm the soup up on the stovetop over medium heat or microwave it.
Gluten Free Cream Of Mushroom Soup
Gluten Free Cream of Mushroom Soup is a really quick and easy condensed soup recipe. I cant tell you how many times Ive looked up a recipe, only to find that it calls for a can of condensed cream of mushroom soup. And of course, thats the main ingredient for the sauce in the recipe. Not to mention, its really hard to find it gluten free! Thats why I taught myself this condensed cream of mushroom soup recipe. Now I make a big batch of this, and freeze it in about 1-can sizes, so I can pull them out any time I have a casserole to make, or need a quick dinner. And I can rest assured that this is 100% gluten free, and much healthier!
Recommended Reading: Where To Buy Parks And Nash Bone Broth Soup
Does Cream Of Mushroom Soup Have Dairy In It
Normally cream of mushroom soup has milk or cream in it, so it almost always has dairy in it.
That doesn’t have to be the case when you make gluten free mushroom soup yourself!
I have used coconut milk and almond milk as the milk to make my gf cream of mushroom soup dairy free.
Gluten free dairy free cream of mushroom soup can be every bit as creamy and velvety!
To make your dairy free cream of mushroom soup extra creamy, use canned full-fat coconut milk or coconut cream for the milk in my gluten free mushroom soup recipe.
How To Make Cream Of Mushroom Soup
- Chop the mushrooms to your liking. I personally like mine finely chopped, and I use my food processor.
- In a large saucepan, heat the butter over medium-high heat saute the mushrooms and minced garlic until tender.
- Sprinkle the gluten-free flour and onion powder over mushrooms and stir to coat the mushrooms.
- Stir in the gluten-free chicken broth, salt, pepper, and nutmeg . Stir the mixture until the flour dissolves. Bring the mushroom soup to a boil and stir it until thickened .
- Reduce the heat to low/simmer and stir in the milk . Simmer, uncovered for about 10-15 minutes.
- Make sure you stir it occasionally and remove the soup from the heat as soon as it becomes as thick as you want it.
- To make a garnish for your soup if you are planning on serving it, sautee mushrooms in a small pan with olive oil or butter until golden brown.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate.
Don’t Miss: Campbell Soup Chicken And Rice
How To Make Gluten Free Cream Of Mushroom Soup
Making gluten free cream of mushroom soup is quick and easy.
It takes less than ten minutes, and you only need a few ingredients.
To make gluten free cream of mushroom soup you’ll need:
- Oil or butter. I used olive oil because it adds a subtle fruity flavor, and is a healthy cooking oil. If you are making your gluten free cream of mushroom soup with dairy, butter should be your first choice.
- Mushrooms. I used plain white mushrooms and chopped them finely. If you prefer, you can use sliced mushrooms or coarsely chopped mushrooms.
- Gluten free flour. The gluten free flour acts as the thickener to make the gluten free roux. I used my gluten free flour blend, but you can use just rice flour, or any gluten free flour blend in your pantry. You’ll have best results if you use a gluten free flour that doesn’t have xanthan or guar gum in it.
- Broth. I used beef broth because I wanted my gluten free condensed cream of mushroom soup to be very meaty. If you prefer, you can use a chicken broth or vegetable broth. To make it vegan, use a vegetable broth.
- Milk. I used an unsweetened plain coconut milk this time, but I’ve used unsweetened plain almond milk in the past. You can also use dairy milk, or lactose free milk. As long as you don’t use a sweetened vanilla flavored milk, you should be set.
- Salt and pepper. Essential if you don’t want your soup to taste bland.
Homemade Cream Of Mushroom Soup
If you do not have a can of prepared cream of mushroom soup sitting in your pantry you can make your own fairly easily. You can even leave the mushrooms out if you dont happen to have any on hand.
- 3 tablespoons of flour
For additional flavor, you could add garlic or onion.
It is straightforward to make this soup and can be eaten alone or folded into another recipe on a 1:1 basis. Enjoy!
Also Check: Red Potatoes And Lipton Onion Soup Mix
Canned Cream Of Chicken Soup Substitute Gluten & Dairy Free
This is a recipe to make a canned cream soup substitute that’s gluten and dairy free 5 different ways
- cup Olive Oil
- ¼ cup All purpose Gluten free flour
- cup Chopped onion
- 1¾ cup Chicken broth
- cup Non-flavored, dairy-free milk substitute
- 1½ cup Cubed chicken
In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat
Stir in gluten free flour, onion, salt and pepper
Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is bubbly remove from heat
Stir in broth and milk substitute
Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir for 1 minute
Stir in chicken. Remove from heat.
Pro Tips And Recipe Notes
- I love to just slice my mushrooms to keep their meaty texture. However, if you prefer, you can cut up your mushrooms into bite-size pieces.
- Can you use different types of mushrooms? Yes. I used button mushrooms for this recipe. You can go with cremini mushrooms or even shiitake or porcini mushrooms if you prefer.
- Need to make the soup dairy-free? No problem. I havent tried this myself, but instead of butter, use a dairy-free butter substitute like Earth Balance. And theres no reason why you cant go with a lactose-free milk, unsweetened plain almond milk, or coconut milk.
- There are a few add-ins you could choose. How about chopped bacon, bite-size cooked chicken or turkey, or cooked, diced potatoes? Its up to you.
- Have a cup on its own or pair it with this these amazing slow cooker pork chops, mouthwatering chicken and peppers, crispy salmon cakes, or perfect pan-seared steaks.
- You can store this soup in the fridge for up to five days. Reheat it gently on the stove or in your microwave.
Enjoy and happy cooking!
And if you have any questions, please reach out to me in the comments or shoot me an email, and Ill respond ASAP!
Read Also: Campbell Soup At Walmart
Cheesy Ham And Potato Soup
So we go homemade because not only is making these popular creamy soups at home a cinch, but its so much healthier and unbelievably delicious. This was the first of tens of dozens of spoonfuls of Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup I ate straight from the jar. You guys will flip.
Ok a couple notes:
You will be making these recipes for a lifetime lets get on with it!