How To Store Fresh Pasta
If you like your chicken noodle soup with less pasta, you can save some of it for later. Make the pasta as directed and cut it to you desired width. Toss the pasta you want to save in flour and store it in a sealed bag. It can be stored in the freezer for up to one month or in the fridge for up to 15 hours. Never store it on the counter for more than an hour.
Making Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup With Fresh Pasta
While in Italy, we got to make homemade pasta and it was so simple, but my goodness, once you have fresh pasta you cant ever go back to dried. Its a cinch to make and it MELTS IN YOUR MOUTH! Who doesnt want that?! Ive included instructions on how to make this easy chicken noodle soup with fresh pasta in the recipe card below.
The more you make it, the more familiar you become with how the dough feels. If youre putting it through the pasta roller and holes and tears are showing up, just fold the two ends towards, but not overlapping each other and continue putting it through and folding it until its smooth. It just needed a little extra time.
If you dont have a pasta roller, you can use a rolling pin, but make sure that you roll it super thin!
How To Spice Up Chicken Noodle Soup
Chicken soup is a perfect canvas for different seasonings you can combine with cooked chicken. I tend to keep it simple to allow the pure flavor to shine.
Heres what I use in this soup:
- Turmeric: I use this golden spice to add a beautiful, appetizing color to the soup, but since theres a pretty small amount you wont really taste it. You can leave it out if you dont have it.
- Lemon: A few slices of fresh lemon juice adds some zing to the broth so good!
- Parmesan rind: This is totally optional. Im one of those people who starts to get anxious when there isnt a hunk of Parmesan in the fridge, and I always save the rinds. They are perfect to use in soups and sauces, adding a layer of umami flavor.
- Dill The grassy, fresh taste of dill screams homemade chicken soup like no other herb. If you dont like it, try using parsley or basil instead. A tablespoon of chopped fresh thyme leaves would be good too!
Don’t Miss: Lipton Recipe Secrets Potatoes
How To Make Bonnie’s Grandma’s Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1DAY BEFOREBoil the drumsticks in the water until done. Save the water to make the soup. Refrigerate.
- 2THE NEXT DAY…PREPARE GRANDMA’S NOODLES Follow the instructions on the package that say to slit the plastic and microwave 1 minute. Remove and separate the noodles and spread them out on a cookie sheet.
- 3MAKE THE SOUPRemove skin and bones from the drumsticks and discard. Save the chicken and the broth. Chop the onions, celery and carrots and saute in a large dutch oven in a little olive oil. When the vegetables are tender, add the minced garlic and stir a couple of times. Add the chicken stock, chicken granules, pepper, marjoram,and the chicken to the pot. Simmer covered over low heat until the vegetables are done. Add Grandma’s noodles and bring soup to a low boil and cook until noodles are tender and to your preference. Add frozen peas. Check seasoning. Cook until peas are done.
- 4COOK’S TIPDo you like a lot of broth or a little broth in your soup? If you don’t have enough broth to suit you, you can add a can of chicken broth,a teaspoon of chicken granules, a half can of water and a teaspoon of marjoram and add it to the broth to thin it.
- Last Step: Don’t forget to share! Make all your friends drool by posting a picture of your finished recipe on your favorite social network. And don’t forget to tag Just A Pinch and include #justapinchrecipes so we can see it too!
Basic Chicken Soup Ingredients:
The base of this soup relies on a few simple ingredients:
- Celery: If your bunch comes with leaves attached, save them to garnish the soup. They have a delicate flavor and lovely wispy texture.
- Pasta: Look for wide pappardelle, egg noodles or fettuccine. I break them into pieces so theyre easier to spoon up.
- Chicken stock: choose a low-sodium broth to have better control over the seasoning. Next to homemade, my personal favorite store-bought brand is this one.
- Chicken thighs: Youll need 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs. The dark meat is very tasty, holds up best in soup and doesnt become dry like the breast meat.
Read Also: Campbell Soup Recipe For Chicken And Rice
How To Make Chicken Noodle Soup
My Grandma’s Homemade Chicken Soup Is Comfort Food
This soup is as close to comfort food as it gets. I remember my grandmother making this soup every time we went to visit. The memories come back every time I make this soup. This chicken soup takes time to make…but I promise it is worth it!
This chicken soup takes time to make…but I promise it is worth it!”
Our whole family loves this soup, and I really need to make it more often. Fall is finally here and soon cold and flu season will be here. We also love this delicious Turmeric Chicken Vegetable Soup during cold and flu season!!
This easy chicken soup recipe is made from scratch, with fresh simple ingredients.”
It is so easy to make a bowl of good chicken soup from scratch. You don’t need many ingredients. Just add chicken, broth, carrots, onion, garlic, and celery to a pot. You can add noodles to make chicken noodle soup, or add rice. We usually make chicken and rice soup because gluten free noodles tend to get pretty mushy. You can use brown or white rice in this soup recipe.
This soup is Whole 30, Paleo, Keto, and Gluten Free. Perfect for anyone who has food allergies. Pair this soup with these delicious gluten free bread for easy dipping: Gluten Free Light and Fluffy Cheddar Muffins or this Gluten Free Focaccia Bread.
For my grandma’s old-fashioned chicken soup, you will need a whole chicken.
If you love this soup, you will also want to try my Gluten Free Matzo Ball recipe. This soup is great with matzo balls!
Don’t Miss: Chicken And Rice With Lipton Soup Mix
Grandmas Chicken Noodle Soup
Number of servings : 6 Prep time: Cooking time: Type of meal : | Soups | Soups Special diet :
Number of servings : 6
Type of meal : | Soups | Soups
Special diet :
1 whole chicken 1 tbsp olive oil1 large onion1/2 tsp dried rosemary1 tsp salt1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper2 cloves garlic6 oz linguine
Can I Make Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup
Yes again! If you want a better flavor and have the time, sauté the vegetables on the stove top before adding them to the slow cooker. If you dont have the time and just need to get something cooking, add everything to the slow cooker and cook on low for 3-4 hours.
Near the end of the cook time, add the noodles to the slow cooker and allow them to cook with the lid on for a few minutes. You can salt to taste and then serve as normal.
Also Check: Campbell Soup Rice Casserole Recipes
How To Make Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
I will never stop saying how much I love cooking with my Instant Pot. It makes prepping recipes like this homemade chicken noodle soup so much easier! Heres how we made this easy chicken noodle soup:
Tip: If you havent seen our Instant Pot Cheat Sheet yet, go check it out! It is such a lifesaver!
How To Make Grandmas Chicken Soup
To make this soup you will need one whole chicken.
TIP: I love to buy my whole chickens from Costco. They are by far the BEST chickens out there. Loaded with meat.
TIP: Little secretI was able to make this chicken noodle soup AND a Chicken Broccoli Casseroleout of this ONE Costco chicken!
Rinse one whole chicken and remove the innards
Place Chicken in a large stock pot, with a lid, and fill 3/4 full of water. Add one cup chopped celery, one cup chopped onion, and 3-4 chicken bullion cubes. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and continue cooking for 1 1/2 hours.
WARNING: Your house is going to smell HEAVENLY!!! Like Thanksgiving Day potpourri simmering away, filling the air with the most luscious fragrance!
Lets talk about the star of this show for a second. The star of this Chicken Noodle soupthe Noodles! My mother-in-law was the first to introduce me to Grandmas Fresh Frozen Egg Noodles. They are the best noodles on the planet! You can find them at Krogers or Wal-mart.
If you cant find Grandmas Im sure your market carries another brand of Fresh Frozen noodle.
While the chicken is cooling take the package of Grandmas Homemade Style Family Size, Fresh Frozen, All Natural, Egg Noodles out of the freezer to begin thawing.
DO NOT DUMP OUT THE CHICKEN STOCK! This is the flavor base for this soup.
Add 4-6 cups of water to the remaining chicken stock.
You can see how rich that chicken broth is! Its pure perfection!
Also Check: Andy Warhol Campbell Soup Meaning
Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup With Rotisserie Chicken
Seriously, I have tried what seems like one billion chicken noodle soup recipes. I feel really bad saying this, but Ive really never enjoyed any at all. Thats not true, I got the best recipe ever once, but it was years ago from one of our landlords, Adele, and Ive since lost it. Ugh, such a bummer.
Homemade chicken noodle soup usually tastes so bland and the celery is too crunchy for my liking. Not this Instant Pot chicken soup though one missing ingredient changed everything.
I was out of onion. I dont know how it happened, but I was. Who doesnt have an onion on hand?? Im a huge fan of mirepoix for soups, slowly cooking up celery, carrots, onion and garlic for soup to add a great base of flavor. However, with no onion, things would have to be different.
Once there wasnt onion I didnt really feel like peeling garlic either, so I hit the cupboard for garlic powder and noticed half an envelope of onion soup mix. On a whim I threw it in and my goodness, it was amazing!!!! The best chicken noodle soup recipe EVER.
And theres nutmeg in there too. It gives an extra earthy warmth that the soup usually lacks.
Can You Cook The Noodles In The Crockpot
This recipe has instructions for how to cook the noodles separately however, you can also cook the noodles directly in your slow cooker.
Heres how to cook the noodles in the slow cooker: add the noodles into your slow cooker when you remove the chicken and cook them for 10 minutes on high heat. You may need to add more liquid to the soup after the noodles finish cooking.
Cooking the noodles directly in the crockpot is a convenient option, but I find that it can also make the noodles a little mushy! Its a small difference, but thats why this recipe says to cook them separately.
Don’t Miss: Rump Roast Onion Soup Mix
Ingredients For Bonnie’s Grandma’s Chicken Noodle Soup
- 8 drumsticks boiled in 12 cups water until done. use any cut of chicken, thighs or breast meat, leave skin on.
- tablespoons minced garlic from jar
- 2 tablespoons leaf marjoram
- 16 ounce package of grandma’s fresh frozen egg noodles, wide kind
- black pepper to taste
- a little olive oil to saute vegetables
Is Chicken Broth Gluten Free
Most chicken broth is gluten free but I highly encourage you to read the labels. Look for any artificial ingredients, and also make sure the broth wasn’t made on shared equipment!
Cover and bring the chicken soup to a boil. Turn down the heat and allow this chicken soup to simmer for two hours.
After the chicken cooks in the soup for 2 hours, remove the chicken to a separate pan so the bones don’t all fall apart in the soup.
Recommended Reading: Easy Pot Roast With Onion Soup Mix
What Is In Chicken Noodle Soup
The ingredients in this soup are simple: chicken, carrots, celery, onions, noodles, broth, and herbs.
- CHICKEN: You can use rotisserie chicken or cook your own from chicken breasts or thighs.
- BROTH: The chicken broth is the base of this soup. I like to use Better than Bouillon Base because of its rich flavor. You could make your own homemade chicken broth if you want.
- VEGETABLES: Carrots, celery, and onion are the classic veggies in chicken noodle soup. Feel free to add your own.
- NOODLES: Homemade egg noodles do not take that long and take this soup to the next level! If youre running short on time, store bought egg noodles will work.
Freezing Chicken Noodle Soup
Note: If you intend to freeze the soup, leave the pasta out until after its thawed. Cooked pasta will absorb the broth and get soggy.
- Portion the soup intofreezer-proof containers3/4-full to allow for expansion and allow to cool completely.
- Fasten the container lids securely. Mark a piece of masking tape with the date and place in the freezer. Store for up to 2 months.
- Thaw overnight in the refrigerator or use the defrost setting on a microwave.
- Cook the noodles and add to the thawed soup after reheating.
FOLLOW ALONG! and get my Dinner Plan + Shopping List, and follow me on and for all the latest recipes and content.
Don’t Miss: Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole Campbells
Bonnie’s Grandma’s Chicken Noodle Soup
This old-fashioned chicken noodle soup is the best we have ever tasted. It is also a snap to make with the ingredients you have right in your own pantry. Great served with grilled golden brown swiss cheese sandwiches on French bread. This recipe makes a lot. Freeze some and enjoy it later on! Happy Cooking!The photo is my own and so is this humble recipe.
Gathering Around The Table
My grandmothers chicken noodle soup was the stuff of legends. My father has told me that when he was a young boy, his mother would make chicken noodle soup for people in their village in Manitoba who were sick or had experienced some family tragedy. If it was winter, my father would deliver his mothers soup using a little sled pulled by his dog Rover.
One of my aunts remembers that when her mother was stirring her chicken noodle soup, she would tell her children stories. Another has fond memories of enjoying a bowl of her mothers chicken noodle soup as a nightcap with her father after evening church services.
Grandmas soup was not only a much-loved favourite with her children, but with her grandchildren and great-grandchildren as well.
How did Grandma Margareta Sawatsky Peters make her famous chicken noodle soup? To find out, I asked her daughters, and they responded eagerly with lots of information.
Grandma only used hens well past the egg-laying stage for her soup. Their heads were chopped off on a chopping block. The feathers were then plucked, after which the hairs on the chicken were singed in an alcohol flame.
It was a matter of some skill to divest the chicken of its innards. Entrails were fed to the barn cats as a treat.
The chicken was cooked in a large pot of boiling water along with peppercorns, star anise, a cinnamon stick, bay leaves and large bunches of parsley tied together with thread.
Read more Gathering Around the Table stories:
You May Like: Lipton Onion Soup Roast Beef Oven
Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup Ingredients
We love making this Instant Pot chicken noodle soup with fresh pasta, but you can certainly use dried if thats easier for you. In the ingredients list below, Ive simply listed Pasta, but I included our fresh pasta recipe in the recipe card at the end of this post in case youre curious how we make it!
Heres what we used in this pressure cooker chicken noodle soup recipe:
Helpful Tips For This Recipe:
- Slow cooker size: its recommended to use a 6 quart slow cooker for this recipe. This recipe is for a sizable batch of soup, about 10 servings.
- Noodle size: its recommended to use any wide egg noodles for this recipe. I use old-fashioned egg noodles but you can also use spiral egg noodles. The key is to use a wide noodle so that it holds up to the vegetables & chicken in this recipe!
Recommended Reading: Lipton Onion Soup Roast Beef