How To Make Healthy Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Making this creamy broccoli cheddar soup is quite easy.
- In a small bowl, whisk flour and cold stock until well combined. Heat olive oil and butter/ghee in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Saute the onions until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add in carrots, celery, and garlic and cook for anadditional 3-4 minutes.
- Add in broccoli, cayenne pepper, milk stock, and flour mixture, and simmer until veggies are tender and soup is creamy. About 8-10 minutes.
- Transfer about half of the soup to a blender. Blend until smooth, then stir the mixture back into the pot.
- Stir in Cheddar cheese and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to your taste. Enjoy!
What Makes This Broccoli Soup Healthy
- Wholesome ingredients Typically broccoli cheddar soup is loaded with lots of funky ingredients, heavy cream and loads of cheese. This soup doesnt have that!
- Creaminess from potatoes/veggies Most broccoli cheddar soup recipes have a lot of heavy cream in them, but this soup just uses 1/2 cup of milk + potatoes to make it thick and creamy!
- Easily customizable Whether you need to make this dairy free, lower salt, lower carb.. theres a substitution for basically everything below!
- Veggie loaded There is one serving of veggies per serving of soup, and you can easily bulk up that amount by adding more carrots, celery or onions.
Now lets get into how to make this soup!
Can You Freeze Broccoli Cheddar Soup
To refrigerate:Place any leftover soup in airtight containers and refrigerate for up to 3-4 days. Reheat on the stove-top over medium-low heat.
To freeze: Place in freezer-safe zip bags and freeze flat or in freezer-safe containers. To reheat, thaw completely then warm on low heat to prevent curdling.
Recommended Reading: Hash Brown Casserole With Cream Of Mushroom Soup
Is Broccoli And Cheese Healthy
A healthy side dish: nt dishwith cheese! The fiber and Vitamin C found in broccoli make this an especially healthy side dish. An ounce of raw broccoli is divided into two tablespoons. As for fiber, it is three grams per day with 140% of daily value, according to the USDA. The cheese is moderate in taste.
Tips And More Substitutions
- Frozen veggies: You can use frozen broccoli and/or butternut squash, convenient if you freeze your garden bounty or buy frozen. Add them just like you would fresh broccoli. No need to thaw or rinse.
- Butternut squash substitutions: You can use acorn squash or sweet potato in place of butternut squash.
- No need to dice veggies small: Cut squash and potatoes into large chunks, since we will be pureeing them.
- Make it dairy free and vegan: You can omit cheese and use nutritional yeast to taste. Also make sure to use dairy free milk. For vegan version, use any oil or plant-based butter for sauteing.
- Pureeing soup: If you dont have an immersion blender, you can pour soup into a regular blender and blend in batches. Just make sure you have an opening in the lid open otherwise hot soup will explode all over the kitchen and you. Food processor would work too.
Read Also: Olive Garden Soup And Salad To Go
Minute Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Healthy broccoli cheddar soup packed with carrots, broccoli, garlic, and cheese. This creamy velvety soup is much better than Paneras broccoli cheddar soup and can be made in under 30 minutes for a fraction of the price! Soup is an essential winter meal and when it comes to picking our absolute favorite soup, this cheddar broccoli soup has earned the #1 spot. Its a favorite of kids because of its creamy texture and cheesy flavor, and loved by parents because its secretly loaded with a ton of nutritious veggies.
If youve ever had Paneras broccoli cheddar soup then you will LOVE this soup. Its almost a copycat version of it except with much more flavor and texture.
The soup is made with an almost caramelized onion and garlic-based and thickened with a roux then simmered with veggie stock, broccoli, and carrots. At the very end, half & half and freshly grated cheddar cheese are added to give it a velvety smooth texture.
The result is a deliciously rich, thick and creamy broccoli soup that is loaded with the comforting flavors of broccoli and cheddar.
Healthy Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Healthy broccoli cheese soup made silky smooth using only whole foods like vegetables. Fresh veggies make the best soups, from Russian shchi to Instant Pot butternut squash soup. Oh, the colors and nutrition!
Once blended this soup looks at tastes just like any fast food joint broccoli cheddar soup. Just so much healthier and better for you! Not that Im against flour, butter, cheese and heavy cream. But the fact that we can replace them with 8 cups of vegetables is mind blowing to me.
Recommended Reading: Beefy Onion Soup Mix Pot Roast
How Do You Make Broccoli Cheese Soup Less Salty
An example of this soup would be a Cream of Broccoli Cheese soup that is too salty, but you taste consistency, texture, and color as well. Pour more liquid into the mixture and now its too thin, so mix a slurry of water and cornstarch together using a measuring cup and heat up the mixture. Serve immediately.
Why Does This Keto Dairy
I like to use low sodium broth so that I can control the amount of salt in a recipe. Also, the dairy-free cheese in this recipe also contains sodium so low sodium broth ensures that this soup does not turn out too salty.
Low sodium broths contain about 40-100 mg of salt per serving. Regular broth can contain up to 960 mg of salt!
If you don’t have any low sodium broth, use regular broth but omit any additional salt and only add it after the soup is done.
Read Also: Hashbrown Casserole Cream Of Mushroom
Tips And Tricks For Making Broccoli Cheese Soup
- If you follow my advice and keep frozen broccoli in the fridge, this soup will come together in no time at all.
- Use low sodium broth if you can find it, or just water if you cant. Otherwise, you may end up with a soup that is too salty. If using water, add salt to taste.
- The best way to check if the broccoli is done is to take out a piece and reward yourself
- If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can use a regular blender. Just be careful as the heat and the steam from the hot Broccoli Cheese Soup can create a vacuum that can cause burns.
- Make sure you only blend the soup until about half the broccoli is blended so that you have a little texture in the soup.
- Mashing the cream cheese with the back of your spoon while it’s cooking will help it melt down quicker.
- Make sure to pour in the heavy cream slowly so that it doesn’t curdle.
Equipment Notes & Suggestions
This section contains affiliate links, which means I might earn a small commission if you place an order through them .
This recipe yields a substantial amount of soup . If you are serving two people or dont want a lot of leftovers, you could easily cut the ingredients in half. Heres what youll need to make it:
- I swear that soups always taste better when theyre cooked in a Dutch oven. I used my 5.5-quart Le Creuset for this recipe. A large, heavy-bottomed soup pot will also work well.
- Youll need a lid for the pot. In a pinch, you could use a metal baking sheet.
- If you are making the full batch, youll need to blend it in batches in your stand blender. I could not blend the full batch at once in my Vitamix. Transfer the blended portion to a heat-proof pitcher or container as you blend the rest, then combine it all in the soup pot.
- Or, you could use an immersion blender. The trouble with immersion blenders is that they never yield soup as creamy as you could accomplish in your stand blender. I wish it werent true!
Safety note: Never fill a stand blender past the maximum fill line, or you could end up with a giant mess . You need to know how your blender works. My lids design allows for steam to escape, but if yours doesnt, youll want to remove the center piece so the contents dont build pressure as they blend. Cover the hole with a tea towel, but dont place your hand over it because the steam is hot.
Also Check: Hamburger Recipe With Onion Soup Mix
Healthified Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe
Step 1. Combine 2 cups stock and rice in a small saucepan over medium-high heat bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes. Remove from heat let stand 5 minutes. Place rice mixture and milk in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid secure blender lid on blender.
Place broccoli in microwavable bowl, cover with plastic wrap and microwave until bright green, about 23 minutes. Meanwhile, brown onion and chicken in butter in a pan. Mix all ingredients and put in greased casserole dish. Sprinkle top with grated parmesan and bake about 1 hour and 15 minutes, until set and fork comes out clean.
In a large pot whisk together the remaining melted butter and flour over medium heat for about 3 to 4 minutes. Slowly whisk in the half and half and chicken stock. Let it simmer for about 20 minutes. Add the broccoli, carrots, and onions. Let them simmer on medium low for about 25 minutes until the broccoli and carrots are tender.
How to make broccoli cheese soup. Cook Onion Melt the butter in a pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 34 minutes, or until softened and translucent. Make Broth Stir in the garlic and flour. Whisk well and cook for 12 minutes. Pour in the chicken broth and cream, then increase the head to medium-high.
Is Broccoli Cheddar Soup Unhealthy
Cheese and Broccoli are Bad News if the recipe does contain broccoli, it is going to be healthy. Visit Zoup to buy some Broccoli Cheddar soup!! 290 calories, 20 grams of fat, 60 percent of whats consumed daily as saturated fat, and 1190 milligrams of sodium make up this dish. I guess its more like you r than you get in four Twinkies!
Read Also: Lipton Onion Mix Potatoes
How Do You Fix Over Salted Soup
In order to compensate for salt buildup, dairy is a great way to do so. In addition to your yogurt, add heavy cream, or sour cream if you prefer. I can utilize whatever I have on hand. It can be added to the pot at a moments notice e can added to the entire pot, or directly to the bowl before serving.
Is Frozen Broccoli Already Cooked
Some frozen food companies do partially cook the veggies before freezing them using a method called blanching. The purpose of blanching vegetables is to stop enzymes from breaking down the vegetables and locks in their bright color. Blanching also cleans the surface of the veggies from dirt and organisms.
Recommended Reading: Is Campbell’s Tomato Soup Keto Friendly
How To Make Broccoli Cheese Soup:
Prep Ingredients: Grate or chop vegetables. Shred cheese and set aside to allow it to come to room temperature.
Make Soup: Add vegetable broth to a large soup pot over medium heat. Add carrots, celery and potatoes. Once boiling, reduce heat and simmer until the vegetables are tender, 3-5 minutes.
Add Broccoli: Add chopped broccoli and simmer for another minute or two, depending on how chunky or fine you chopped it. Remove from heat.
Sauté Onion: In a separate skillet over medium heat, sauté onion in 1 tablespoon butter until tender and lightly browned. Add onion to pot with vegetables.
Make Roux: Add remaining 4 tablespoons of butter to the skillet, over medium heat. Once melted, whisk in ¼ c. flour and stir well to make a roux.
Add Half and Half: Pour in half and half and milk, one cup at a time, stirring constantly. Cook roux, stirring continually with whisk until thickened, smooth, and bubbly. Season well with salt and pepper.Slowly add rue to the pot of cooked vegetables, stirring carefully to combine. Cook for 2 minutes.
Add Cheese: Remove from heat and add grated cheese, stirring until melted. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper or vegetable bouillon base, to taste, if needed.
Serve: These Homemade Bread Bowls take this meal to the next level!
How Do You Fix Soup That Is Too Salty
Adding more liquid is a safe and reliable way to address salty soup. Bring the soup back to a simmer after adding a bit of water or stock. As a result, the concentration of salt in the broth will be reduced. When you prepare soups that can be diluted with stock, make sure to use unsalted ingredients.
Also Check: Is Knorr Spinach Dip Gluten-free
Storing/serving Healthy Broccoli Soup
This soup is best served with a piece of crusty bread. I like to top it with bacon crumbles, extra cheese and scallions but feel free to top with whatever you like.
How long will this soup last: This soup will last for 4-5 days in the refrigerator.
Can you freeze broccoli soup? Yes you can! Place in freezer safe container. I love Souper Cubes for freezing soup. Code CLEANEATING10 works to save $$! When youre ready to eat defrost in the refrigerator the night before, or heat in microwave from frozen or on the stove.
We have more tips on how to freeze soup!
Is is exactly the same as eating it out of a Panera bread bowl??? No but honestly, its pretty darn close! As the soup cools/sets, it gets thicker and is even more delicious.
What Makes This Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup So Great
As you probably already know, I’m a huge fan of recipes that are crazy easy to make yet are still absolutely delicious. This Vegetarian Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup is no exception. This soup recipe is just so easy that you’ll be mad that you didn’t know about it sooner.
Not only is it easy to make, but it’s low carb as well. No need to save this recipe for a cheat day. You can enjoy this indulgent soup guilt-free and as often as you’d like without fear of ruining your low carb diet.
Most Broccoli Cheese Soups call for a thickener such as flour. Since I wanted to keep my recipe low carb, and gluten-free, I opted to blend some of the broccoli with an immersion blender in order to give it the right consistency.
Now, I decided to add some hot sauce to the soup. If you know me, you know that I like my food spicy. However, this step is completely optional as the soup still tastes terrific without it. Though I highly recommend trying it. It doesn’t really make it spicy per se, it adds a little tang to the soup that really brings out all the other flavors.
Read Also: Lipton Onion Soup Pot Roast Crock Pot
What Goes Well With Broccoli Cheese Soup
Looking for some dishes that pair nicely with this soup? Check These out!
- Keto bread
- Bread is always a fantastic pairing for soup and this Keto Bread recipe will give you your bread fix without all the carbs!
- Breadsticks are another great option, and these Cauliflower Breadsticks are incredible!
- This Broccoli Cheese Soup goes nicely with a nice, bright side salad, and my Indian Cucumber Salad is the perfect choice!
Another great classic dish of mine you might enjoy is my Instant Pot Pot Roast. This recipe is so quick and easy that it makes a great weeknight dinner!
And if you’re looking for another great vegetarian soup recipe, check out my Instant Pot Vegetarian Chili. Enjoy a chili that’s so good that even your non-vegetarian friends won’t even care that it’s a meatless dish.
Trust me, once you’ve made this Low Carb Broccoli Cheese Soup and realize how easy and yummy it is, you’re going to want to make it at least once a week, if not more. Make sure to share this recipe with your friends on Facebook and Pinterest so they can enjoy it too!
Why Youll Love This Recipe
- Bursting with greens and cheese for a comforting, homemade meal
- Far more fresh and flavorful than any restaurant or store-bought version
- Packed with colorful and nutritious veggies, which makes it kid-friendly and mom-approved!
- Makes good use of dairy-free milk and naturally vegetarian, with simple ingredient swaps to suit your dietary lifestyle
You May Like: Is Lipton Beefy Onion Soup Mix Vegan
Low Sodium Brocoli Cheese Soup Recipes
1 small onion, chopped 4 tablespoons of low sodium butter or 4 tablespoons no salted butter 3 1 2 cups cooked white rice DIRECTIONS melt butter in pan. add chopped onions, saute until clear. add brick of frozen chopped broccoli. cover pan to help heat melt down/break up broccoli brick. stir in can of soup. stir in grated cheese.
After simmering about 20 to 25 minutes, add most of the cheese, reserving a small amount for garnishing bowls. Stir in the cheese until melted and incorporated fully, less than 1 minute. Transfer soup to bowls, garnish with reserved cheese, and serve immediately. Soup will keep airtight for 5 to 7 days in the fridge.
How Do You Make This Keto Dairy
- Sauté onion in the palm shortening/oil
- Slowly add in the vegetable stock and whisk again to combine
- Add the broccoli and the sauteed onions into the pot.
- Stir in the coconut milk
- Cook covered over low heat for 20-25 minutes but do not bring to a boil
- Add salt, pepper, smoked paprika and nutmeg.
- Add 1 cup of the soup and combine it with the avocado in a high-speed blender
- Blend until all the ingredients have been broken down
- Return the blended mixture to the pot and stir to incorporate
- Continue to cook the soup on low heat and slowly add the grated cheese a handful at a time and stir to avoid clumps.
- Once all the cheese has been added is melted, remove from heat, and serve immediately
- Refrigerate leftovers after they have cooled and store in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the refrigerator
You May Like: Substitute For Onion Soup Mix No Onion Flakes