How To Make The Best Tomato Soup
Copycat Campbells Tomato Soup
Were not using Campbells soup in this recipe were copying it.
This is a replica of the flavors you know and love sweet tomatoes, rich cream, a hint of basil but in an easy DIY version.
And even though its homemade, it doesnt take long to get in front of hungry family members.
Try a taste-test with the real thing, and I dare you to spot the difference.
Confession time I almost never make stuffing the traditional way any more.
Instead of wrestling with a roasted bird, just make this easy casserole as a holiday side.
Breadcrumbs, veggies, and cream of chicken soup come together to produce a casserole that can do double duty as a tasty main or a savory side.
Easy for you, tasty for your guests, everyones a winner!
Cream of mushroom soup, egg noodles, and flaky tuna come together in this meal.
This comfort food casserole is easy, light on the household finances, and ideal for make-ahead meals.
Its not fancy, and thats the beauty of this simple-yet-irresistible dish. The kids will beg for more while the adults sneak seconds.
Keep this one in regular rotation, and you wont have to worry about pleasing picky eaters.
Dont Miss: Annies Organic Chicken Noodle Soup
What Is Canned Tomato Sauce
Canned tomato sauce is a cooked purée of unseasoned tomatoes, while tomato paste is tomato sauce thats been reduced until thick. And since its been only slightly cooked, canned tomato sauce has a sharp acidity that mellows out with more cooking time, and can add a pleasant, last-minute jolt to a finished recipe.
Read Also: Ben And Jerry’s Turtle Soup
How To Make Tomato Juice At Home
Tomato juice can be easily found at the market and many people tend to buy and store it for later use.
But if you dont have any its easy to find a replacement. All you need is a bag of tomatoes and a blender to create your own juice at home.
You can use the ripest tomatoes that you have and you need some sugar to balance the acidity. You can add extra seasoning, onion, salt, and black pepper for additional taste.
It is very easy and fast, and also youll find a good use for those ripped tomatoes instead of throwing them out.
Can I Freeze Tomato Juice In Glass Jars
It will store for 12 months in the freezer. And thats how to make simple tomato juice. You can cool it and serve it fresh, or you can store it in the freezer in glass jars that leave at least half inch head space or in these handy freezer bags that you can store flat, takes up less space in your freezer.
Recommended Reading: Stovetop Green Bean Casserole Campbells
How To Make Creamy Tomato Basil Soup:
- First, put the diced tomatoes with juice in a large pot. We used a stock pot over medium heat. Allow the tomatoes to simmer for 30 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Next, puree the tomato mixture and basil leaves. Then pour the puree back into the stock pot.
- Make sure the stove is still set to medium heat. Add the heavy cream and butter.
- Finally, season with salt and pepper. You do not want the soup to boil but heat it so the butter melts and everything is well combined.
Keep reading for the full recipe.
Tools Used To Make This Soup:
- Herb Scissors These sharp scissors make garnishing your dishes with herbs so easy! I used this to cut the basil and look how perfect those ribbons look!
- Wolf Gourmet Blender This blender is amazing! It is a power house that can blend anything. I love it and use it for everything from smoothies, to soups, to dressings. It is the same quality as a Vitamix or Blendtec, if not better.
- Immersion Hand Blender This hand blender is great for sauces, soup, and also has attachments to whisk and froth.
- Garlic Press Fresh garlic tastes best and this is the garlic press I use. I love how easy it is to use and clean.
- Peeler This is my favorite peeler! It works great for vegetables, fruits, and parmesan cheese.
Recommended Reading: Send Chicken Soup To Someone
More Easy Soup Recipes
We have many soup recipes on Inspired Taste. Here are a few favorites:
While we are on the subject of chicken, you must take a look at our easy homemade chicken noodle soup recipe. It is healthy, satisfying, and tastes incredible. Its faster to make than the traditional version, too!
I love this lightened up broccoli cheddar soup! Its creamy and so delicious.
Recipe updated, originally posted October 2015. Since posting this in 2015, we have tweaked the recipe to be more clear and added a quick recipe video. Adam and Joanne
Expert Tips And Tricks For The Perfect Tomato Soup Every Time
- Use the best canned tomatoes. Ive found that choosing a quality brand brings out the best flavors in your soup.
- Dont have cream? You can use half and half. You could even use milk, though it wont be quite as creamy.
- Be sure to blend. The soup wont be creamy and smooth if you dont blend it. If you dont have an immersion blender, you can use a regular blender to get it to the right consistency.
I love you from my head tomatoes.Anonymous
Read Also: Blender That Makes Soup And Ice Cream
Is Tomato Juice Good For Weight Loss
Drink tomato juice regularly to avail of its benefits. Weight loss: A 2015 study found that drinking a glass of tomato juice daily could help in reducing the weight around the waist. Whats best is that this will be possible even without making any other changes to diet or lifestyle, the study said.
How To Make Tomato Soup
Pro Tip: If you prefer a chunky soup with bits of tomato , you can skip the blending step and proceed with adding cream and parmesan then season to taste.
Recommended Reading: Lipton Onion Soup Potatoes With Butter
Can You Substitute V8 For Tomato Juice
Clearly, V8 juice has more vegetables in it than tomato juice. However, when looking into the two beverages more closely, we can see that that tomato juice does come ahead in certain nutritional aspects. When looking at nutrition labels and ingredient lists, I concentrated on Campbells tomato juice specifically.
How To Make Tomato Soup For Canning
Once you have a good recipe, made for putting in jars, the process is pretty straightforward:
- cook vegetables until very soft
- puree the vegetables
- reduce the soup
- can it!
I used a high powered blender to puree our cooked tomatoes and onion. There were only a few small tomato bits left after blending so I didnt bother straining my soup.
If you have a blender that doesnt sufficiently chop up tomato skins, you might want to strain the soup before seasoning and reducing it. Alternatively, use a food mill to puree the tomatoes and get rid of the skins.
You May Like: Pot Roast With Lipton Onion Soup And Cream Of Mushroom
Fast And Easy Alternatives
You can quickly make a substitute in a recipe that calls for tomato juice if you have other canned tomato products on hand. You might also need a tomato juice substitute if you or someone you are cooking for has a sensitivity to tomatoes or ingredients commonly found in commercially-produced tomato juice. For example, store-bought tomato juice is often high in sodium and may contain onion powder or garlic powder. Buying it by the can or bottle may be more expensive than alternatives. Make your own simple substitute to save your wallet and your health.
Is Drinking Tomato Juice Good For You
According to the National Institute of Health food sources that are high in lycopene, such as tomatoes, have many potential health benefits. Lycopene may reduce the risk of certain cancers, help with cardiovascular disease, and get this reduce the risk of SUNBURN. These are just a few of the potential health benefits from drinking tomato juice. Read more about the health benefits from the source at the National Institute of Health.
Reduced Sodium Tomato Juice:
Did you know that store-bough tomato juice can be VERY high in sodium? This causes the store-bought juice to lose some of its health benefits. By making tomato juice from scratch at home, you have full control over the amount of sodium that is added! Reduce the salt in your juice to your specifications in this recipe and enjoy your healthy drink!
Don’t Miss: Hamburgers With French Onion Soup Mix
Can I Use Ketchup Instead Of Tomato Soup
An extremely handy substitute for tomato sauce is puree. For ½ cup tomato sauce and ½ cup water, 1 cup tomato puree plus dash of salt and sugar can be used. An easily available substitute is tomato ketchup. In fact, 1 can of tomato soup can substitute 1 cup of tomato sauce plus ¼ cup of water.
Homemade Tomato Basil Soup Tips
- You can use an immersion blender with this soup recipe. This gives the soup that creamy texture you want. It helps to really blend the tomatoes and get that amazing texture like creamy tomato basil soup panera recipe.
- Do not let tomato soup boil. The cream will curdle and you dont want this to happen.
- We dont strain the seeds but you can if you prefer. This would be easiest using a fine mesh strainer.
- Make extra for later. We actually try to make extra soup so we will have leftovers to freeze. It is super easy and perfect for quick lunches or dinners later in the month.
Don’t Miss: Campbells Chicken With Rice
Cheesy Baked Tomato Bisque
A blanket of melted, crusty cheese covers a creamy, velvety smooth tomato bisque worthy of entertaining. Easy enough to make in just under 30 minutes, this Cheesy Baked Tomato Bisque recipe could also be added to the list of family favorites for weeknight dinners.
Originally published in March 2015 and updated November 2019.
Creamy soups are my absolute favorite thing on the planet. I know for a fact that theyre not, in any way, healthy when you order them in a restaurant. And sometimes theyre not so healthy when you order them at my house.
But sometimes its very evident, like when I cover the creamy bisque with a blanket of cheese. A blend of provolone and mozzarella cheese. And broil it until its bubbly and golden. Thendo you really care about the calories? You only live once and I, for one, live to eat.
Tomato Basil Soup Variation
This is so easy and delicious. Once you have blended your soup, simply add a handful of fresh basil leaves and blend until theyre broken into tiny bits.
If youve ever had Nordstroms tomato basil soupthis option tastes like a more fresh version of it. Yum.
Please let me know how your soup turns out in the comments! I love hearing from you.
Looking for more creamy, lightened-up soups? Here are a few more favorites to bookmark:
Don’t Miss: Campbell’s Skillet Chicken Pot Pie
How To Make Canned Tomato Soup Taste Better
I love homemade meals just as much as the next person, but Im also a big fan of meal shortcuts for busier nights especially when it tastes almost like homemade. I think a lot of you are like that, too based on the popularity of our How to Make Canned Refried Beans Taste Better article!
I dont know of too many people who rave over a plain can of tomato soup I sure dont. However, there are a few small adaptations you can make to take it from blah to having no leftovers.
My kids go CRAZY over these ways weve made canned tomato soup better. Just the other night when I made it, my son was so sad we didnt have any leftovers, and he kept telling me how much he loved it. It was really that good, and it tasted better than really any tomato soup Ive had from restaurants or at the store.
Dont Miss: Campbell Soup Recipe For Chicken And Rice
What To Pair With Tomato Bisque
This recipe combined with another light recipe would make a full and delicious meal!
- Our Chicken Wraps take no time at all to make, and would go great with this soup.
- A chili autumn day calls for this with ourApple Pecan Fall Salad.
- This Chicken Salad recipe gets rave reviews and would go great with this tomato bisque recipe.
If you make this Tomato Bisque Soup recipe or any of other recipes, please leave us a comment and let us know what you think.
Also Check: Is Tomato Soup Keto Friendly
Can You Freeze Tomato Soup
Absolutely! Tomato soup is the perfect recipe to make ahead and save for a busy weeknight meal down the road. You could also give it to friend who is recovering from an illness, just had a baby, or is feeling a little overwhelmed and could use a home cooked meal! Make a double batch, freeze half, and have it ready when you needs it!
Keep it in any freezer-safe container. Make sure you leave enough space for the soup to expand as it freezes. It should keep for up to six months.
Ingredients In Tomato Soup
- heavy cream
Naturally, the fresher the ingredients the better the recipe. But nature has a way of making fresh produce hard to come by during the cooler months. Feel free to substitute the fresh herbs with dried herbs.
Using quality canned tomatoes makes making this tomato soup so much quicker and easier too!
**Pro tip: Use crushed tomatoes, not whole tomatoes, chopped tomatoes, or tomato sauce .**
Recommended Reading: Campbell Soup Baked Chicken Breast Recipes
Read Also: Andersen Split Pea Buellton Ca
How To Make Fresh Tomato Soup
There comes a time in the lifespan of every summer garden when the gardener has the delicious dilemma of what to do with a bounty of fresh tomatoes, all ripe at the same time. Besides making sauce, eating endless plates of Caprese salad, and freezing the tomatoes for later use, I like to make a fresh tomato soup. It may be a very simple recipe but its also incredibly tasty and satisfying, especially when served with a gooey grilled cheese sandwich or macaroni and cheese.
*******If youve found my blog via Google, welcome! I hope you find my posts helpful and take the time to check out whats new on Former Chef!To receive free updates in your inbox when theres a new post .*******
- 12cupschopped fresh tomatoes
- 2Tbspolive oil
- 2cupswater or chicken stock
- 2Tbspkosher salt
Worlds Best Tomato Soup Recipe
Tomato soup is one of my go-to comfort foods. So far its the best tomato soup recipe Ive found. Theres something about it that just conjures up the feeling of childhood, and being taken care of. While my soup of choice growing up was Campbells, Id never tried to make homemade tomato soup before a few years ago, when an obsession with roasted tomatoes collided with an obsession with my blender, and this soup was born. You need to know three things about this soup:
1) Its shockingly easy. While it takes about a fifty minutes to make start to stop, most of that time is just the tomatoes and garlic roasting in the oven, aka time you can spend reading a book, lip syncing Mariah Carey to your cat, or painting your nails .
2) Its insanely delicious. The levels of caramelized depth achieved from roasting the tomatoes and garlic and sauteeing the tomato paste makes the flavor simply explode in your mouth its light years beyond the canned soup of my childhood. Its sweet, savory, rich, creamy, and even a little smoky and spicy, if you choose to use the optional smoked paprika . Topped with super easy homemade croutons, its basically addictive.
Recommended Reading: Roast Beef With Onion Soup Mix And Cream Of Mushroom
Don’t Miss: Publix Chicken And Wild Rice Soup Recipe