Is There A Vegan Option For Cream Of Celery Soup Substitute
Let me start this with a disclaimer. We dont seek out vegan foods and explore labels to ensure theyre vegan.
With that being said, it seems the only things in this version of cream of celery soup substitute that need to be changed are the milk and butter.
Much like in the dairy-free version, it should be fairly easy to change out whole milk and butter with your favorite non-dairy milk and butter alternatives that meet vegan dietary guidelines.
Dont forget to check out our Cream of Celery Substitute web story!
If you like this cream of celery soup substitute recipe, please leave us a comment and rate the recipe card. You can also find us on , , and searching for Berlys Kitchen!
Why Is My Celery Soup Stringy
This is most likely due to using outer ribs of celery that are coarse and stringy. When prepping be sure to thinly slice the celery, about to ¼ inch, to reduce the chance of stringiness. To completely remove the strings from the celery, simply peel them away with a vegetable peeler.
More Soups Youll Love
Ingredient Tips & Substitutions
- Oil: Use a neutral-tasting oil like grapeseed oil, rice bran oil, extra-light olive oil, non-GMO canola oil, or vegetable oil. You can use another medium-heat oil, but it could affect the flavor.
- Milk Beverage: Each milk beverage performs differently and tastes a little different. I recommend using your favorite go-to unsweetened milk alternative for cooking purposes. Weve enjoyed this recipe most with unsweetened rice milk, cashew milk, and coconut milk beverage. For our tastes, almond milk was too pronounced, but I know some of you will like it. However, I would use caution with milk beverages that have added protein. Most added protein brands separate when cooked or thicken overzealously.
- Flour: All-purpose will produce the most seamless results. You can use wheat flour, it will just be a little more rustic in taste. White rice flour is the gluten-free flour weve found works best. You might adventure another gluten-free flour, but I cant guarantee the results without testing. And do not use coconut flour. It does not substitute 1:1 for all-purpose flour not even close!
- Starch: If you have issues with corn, you can substitute arrowroot starch. It doesnt perform quite as well in my opinion, but it generally gets the job done.
Recommended Reading: Potato Soup With Frozen Hash Browns
Vegan Cream Of Celery Soup
My mom: “We have too much celery, do something with it.”
Me: “Like what?”
My mom: “Cream of celery soup.”
My mom: “Ohmygoodness this is so yummy. Omnomnomnom.”
Me: “Ohmygoodness this is so yummy. Omnomnomnom.”
The lessons learned.
When pondering how to make a celery soup actually interesting, I knew that adding cashew cream, was a very good idea. I mean cashew cream, yum. Instead of making the cashew cream separately, I decided, hey, why not make it right in the same pot!
In this recipe you simmer the cashews right along with the rest of the soup. This makes them very soft . Then when you blend the soup up, the cashews blend right along with it making cream right in the soup. Insta-creamy soup! I feel so clever right now.
The result is a soup that tastes insanely good. Full of delicious celery flavour, velvety, deeply flavoured, and totally scrumptious. Enjoy as an appetizer, or make it into a meal by serving with a crusty baguette.
This recipe is so quick and easy. Just take your celery and onion and chop them up. Then mince the garlic.
Heat olive oil in a big pot then sauté the celery, onions, and garlic for about 5 to 10 minutes until translucent.
Need A Dairy Free Cream Of Celery Soup
Making a dairy free version of cream of celery soup is incredibly simple.
If you have a favorite non-dairy milk alternative, just swap it out with the whole milk in this recipe.
Soy and almond milk would probably work best. Coconut milk might also work if its a milk flavored milk without a heavy coconut flavor.
Use olive oil, another cooking oil, or your favorite dairy-free butter variety instead of regular butter.
You May Like: Onion Soup Dumplings
Creamy Vegan Celery Soup Recipe
- 5-6cupsof thinly sliced celery stalks with leaves
- 4clovesof minced garlic
- 4cupsof water or vegetable broth
- 1/4cupof fresh dill chopped
- Apinchof red chili flakes
- 1/2cup of parsley chopped
- 1medium onion or leek diced
- 1lbpotatoesdiced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/4cupvegan butter or
- 3-4tbspolive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
What Makes This Recipe So Good
- Homemade cream of celery soup is a delicious, easy, healthier alternative to the canned versions. It uses pantry staples like all-purpose flour, chicken broth, and heavy cream, plus fresh produce and simple seasonings. You control the amount of salt you use, too!
- This recipe is naturally low carb. You can easily make it dairy free, gluten free, vegetarian, and/or vegan if youd like! Perfect for an all-inclusive dinner.
- If youre a fan of freezer meals, this is a must make for you! Cream of celery soup freezes really well. Just let it cool completely, transfer it to a freezer-safe container, and freeze it up to 4 months. If youre storing it in a sealable freezer bag, lay the bag flat in the freezer until the soup is solid. After that you can store it upright without it taking up a ton of space.
Read Also: Chicken Pot Pie Soup Recipe
Cream Of Celery Soup Ingredients And Substitutions
All the ingredients that go into this dairy-free version of cream of celery soup are easy to find in any grocery store. We especially love this recipe because it is made without nuts or coconut and is naturally gluten-free. A great bonus if you are having to manage multiple allergies.
Celery- This is the star ingredient so freshness is important. Look for thin to medium stalks with thin veins. Heavy, thick stalks may turn out stringy when you try to puree You will need a bunch of celery that contains their leaves still in order to make the garnish.
Potato- Our preferred variety is a Yukon Gold but any potato that leans towards starchy will do. The potato is what gives this soups its body and creamy texture. You can also substitute a celeriac bulb for a more intense celery flavor.
White Onion- Not sweet, and definitely not red. Just a simple white onion. Feeling adventurous? Try substituting leeks or wild ramps, if you can find them.
Garlic- The universal ingredient. Is any soup complete without it?
Dill- Used in both the soup and the garnish, dill brightens up this dish. You really want to use fresh dill. If dried dill is the only thing available you can substitute 1 teaspoon of dried dill for every tablespoon of fresh dill.
Lemon Juice- My mantra… all recipes must have acid! A zip of lemon juice really makes all the difference. Both fresh and bottled work.
Delicious Vegan Celery Soup Recipe
by Ishani Boselast updated – May 18, 2020
At a time when the world focuses all its energy towards staying fit and protected from the novel COVID-19 virus, foods that naturally strengthen the immune system become the need of the hour. Soups are the perfect immunity-boosting foods that you can add to your daily diet. In that effect, we have the perfect recipe of celery soup for you, which is thick, creamy and oh-so-comforting. Not only is celery an excellent source of vitamin, dietaryfiber, minerals, and antioxidants, but it also has just 14 calories per stalk, making it one of the healthiest ingredients to add to your food. Additionally, this recipe is vegan, which means it is quite nourishing and wholesome.
Don’t Miss: Campbell Soup Sloppy Joe Recipe
Vegan Cream Of Kale And Celery Soup
Vegan Cream of Kale and Celery Soup is one of my new favourite lunch recipes as its so creamy and packed with green savoury tastiness and plant-based goodness. A pot of this creamy soup is inexpensive and ideal for those who are not too keen on greens, especially kids.
The recipe uses an entire celery bulb and a large bunch of kale. Its ideal for using up kale and celery that may be lurking around the fridge needing used up. Or if your lucky enough to have a crop from your garden that needs a good home in the form of the soup pot.
Please note: This post contains Amazon affiliate ad links. If you click through and make a purchase I may receive a small commission at no cost to your order. Refer to full disclosure.
I found some celery and a big bag of kale in the reduced section of my local supermarket so decided a bubbling pot of creamy kale and celery soup sounded delicious. And it was!
Cream Of Celery Soup Substitute
*This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates we earn from qualifying purchases.
Cream of celery soup substitute is an easy way to add flavor to any casserole. This recipe cooks up quickly, so you can swap out in place of canned, condensed soup in minutes.
Cream of celery soup substitute is one of those recipes that may not incredibly impressive and doesnt have a huge wow factor, but let me tell you this.
Like our other cream of onion soup substitute, this one is solid and is a staple in our kitchen.
Also, dont forget, we have a great homemade bisquick mix, just in case you run out of favorite baking mix.
Best of all, they dont come from a can!
Read Also: Campbell’s Tomato Soup Sloppy Joe Recipe
How To Make Potato Leek Soup
This soup begins with sautéing leeks and celery in olive oil or vegan butter to create a savory base. Next come the aromatics: thyme and garlic, plus the soup essentials: sea salt and black pepper.
Then we add the chopped potatoes and sauté them a bit to add flavor. We love using Yukon gold potatoes and leaving the skins on for a rustic feel. Any variety of potato should work here, but if using russet potatoes, we suggest peeling them.
For the liquid, we prefer water over vegetable broth because it lets the flavor of the leek and potatoes shine through. Light coconut milk provides additional liquid while also making it a rich and creamy vegan potato leek soup!
Once the potatoes are tender, an immersion blender brings everything together into a creamy and cohesive soup. Garnish with sliced green onion or chives, coconut bacon, and vegan sour cream to make it extra special!
We hope you LOVE this potato leek soup! Its:CreamyFlavorful& Easy to prepare!
Its the perfect addition to your cold-weather soup rotation while also being worthy of serving to dinner guests and having a place at the holiday table!
Creamy Celery Soup W/spinach
This Creamy Celery Soup is a healthy, vegan, low-fat version of the traditional cream of celery soup.
It contains celery and spinach nutrient-rich vegetables, packed with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants! It also contains potato, which is what helps give it a creamier consistency when blended.
Serve yourself a bowl, squeeze in some extra lemon juice, and swirl in some Vegan Cream Sauce, or some Healthy Mexican Crema substitute .
This is an easy, super healthy, and delicious meatless meal!
Ohand its kid-approved. Well, at least my 3-year old enjoyed it! He saw me eating a big bowl of it topped with Vegan Cream Sauce, and asked for a taste. He decided he liked it, then took the whole bowl for himself! Its a great way to sneak in extra veggies!
Read Also: Broccoli Chicken Rice Casserole Campbells
How To Make Celery Soup
- Start by melting the butter over medium heat, then add the leek/onion, celery, potato and garlic. Saute until the leek/onion is tender, about 8 10 minutes.
- Add the broth, bring to a boil, reduce to heat and simmer for about 10 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- Once potatoes are tender, remove the soup from the heat and the fresh dill, parsley and red pepper flakes .
- You can eat the soup as is chunky style or continue to the next step.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until creamy, or close to it . You can also transfer the soup to a blender and puree.
And thats it, so simple and delicious. Celery soup can be served warm or chilled.
Now all you have to do is enjoy!
Notes On The Creamy Celery Soup:
- If possible, use good quality Organic Spinach and Celery. I reserved a few celery leaves for garnish, but chopped up the rest and used it inside of the soup along with the celery ribs.
- Even though the soup will be blended, try to cut the celery in uniform pieces for even cooking . Same goes for the potatoes .
- I used an Immersion Hand Blender, but you can also blend this in batches in a high-powered blender . Just make sure to let the soup cool down a bit, and not over fill the blender!
- I like piling in a whole 5 oz. container of spinach for the added nutrients! But, you can reduce it to just 2 oz. to still give it a bit of added nutrients and a pop of green color.
Don’t Miss: Potato Soup With Frozen Hash Browns
Vegan Cream Of Kale And Celery Recipe Notes
How do I store kale and celery soup?
Leftover soup can be stored in the fridge, in a covered container, for 3 days. Or frozen for 4-6 months.
How do I reheat kale and celery soup?
To reheat leftovers gently bring to a simmer, and heat for 2-3 minutes until piping hot. Stir frequently to prevent sticking and if necessary add extra veggie stock to loosen up the soup.If frozen, defrost completely before reheating.
Is creamy kale and celery soup gluten-free?
Yes. This recipe uses gluten-free plain flour to thicken up the stock. Ensure that your vegan stock is also gluten-free. I use the Marigold brand which is gluten-free.
Can I use any substitutions?
* kale can be subbed for spinach, collards, spring greens, chard, etc.* not keen on celery? sub for broccoli or courgette* if you dont like creamy soups simply use extra veggie stock instead of plant-milk and omit the gluten-free flour
What can I serve with cream of kale and celery soup?
Cream Of Celery Soup Vegan Recipe
Cream of celery soup vegan style may sound a little boring but dont be fooled. This vegan recipe includes some amped up seasonings and spices to change what you may be thinking about celery soup.
You know the drill, right? You buy some celery and only use two ribs and then youre left with all the rest. Use that leftover celery in this creamy, flavorful soup.
Cream of celery soup is an underestimated source of delliciousness, made possible by having an overabundance of celery. Turn your leftover celery into something awesome!
Don’t Miss: Soupnation
Garlicky Cream Of Celery Soup
A perfect puree for a rainy fall or spring day, this creamy vegan soup will win you over with its elegant simplicity and intense celery flavor. If you prefer not to use croutons, serve with fresh whole grain bread to soak up the flavors. Adapted fromVegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons.
- 2 tablespoons unbleached white flour
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 teaspoons salt-free seasoning
- ¼ cup mixed chopped fresh parsley and dill, or more, to taste
- A handful of celery leaves
- 1 to 1 ½ cups unsweetened rice milk or other nondairy milk, as needed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh dill or parsley for garnish
- Whole-grain vegan croutons for garnish, optional
Trim the bottoms off of the celery and remove the strings with a vegetable peeler. Cut 10 of the stalks into ½-inch slices. Cut the remaining two into ¼-inch dice, and set aside.
Heat one tablespoon of the oil in a soup pot. Add the onions and garlic and sauté over medium heat until the onions are lightly golden.
Sprinkle in the flour and stir it in until it disappears. Add the sliced celery, the potatoes, and just enough water to cover. Bring to a rapid simmer, then lower the heat. Add the seasoning, fresh herbs, and celery leaves. Cover and simmer gently until the vegetables are tender, about 25 minutes. Remove from the heat.
Nutrition information:Per serving: Calories: 156 Fat: 6g Protein: 3g Fiber: 3g Carbs 24g Sodium: 87mg
How To Make Vegan Celery Soup
This dairy-free recipe only takes 30 minutes from start to finish and fairly minimal prep. Because the soup is pureed at the end a rough chop on the vegetables is all you need.
- Saute the Vegetables-In a small stock pan, melt olive oil over medium heat. Saute celery, onion, and potato until the onion and celery begin to soften. Once the veggies are slightly softened add the garlic and cook 1 min longer. Resist the urge to add it early as you don’t want the garlic to burn.
- Simmer- Add the vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until potatoes are tender. About 10-12 minutes.
- Puree- Now it is time to blend the soup. While you can use an immersion blender I recommend using a regular blender for a smoother texture. Before blending add the dill and lemon juice. Puree until smooth and always be careful with hot liquids! Work in batches if needed. And if you are feeling fancy, pour the puree through a fine-mesh strainer. This will thin the soup out a bit and make the texture silky smooth.
Please leave us a comment and let us know how this recipe worked for you. Don’t forget to share your creation on Instagram. Tagging us or #peelwithzeal
Don’t Miss: Pea Anderson Inn