Here Is A General Layout Of The Diet:
Day 1 Cabbage soup and all the fruit you want, except bananas
Day 2 Cabbage soup and veggies, including one jacket potato with butter
Day 3 Cabbage soup plus fruits and veggies
Day 4 Cabbage soup plus up to eight bananas and as much skimmed milk as youd like
Day 5 Cabbage soup and up to 20 ounces of beef and up to six tomatoes
Day 6 Cabbage soup plus as much beef and veggies as youd like
Day 7 Cabbage soup plus brown rice, veggies , and unsweetened fruit juice
Cabbage Soup Recipe Variations:
This Cabbage Soup is SO versatile and essentially a chameleon when it comes to add-ins. Heres a snapshot of options which Ive gone into greater detail below on how to actually cook them in the soup:
- Swap veggies. The vegetables are super flexible so just toss in whatever you have on hand or your family favorites.
- Add protein. You can add leftover ham, turkey, rotisserie chicken or any other cooked protein at the end of cooking or you can add your own raw chicken, ground beef, ground turkey or Italian sausage and cook it with the soup.
- Add pasta. Add your favorite small pasta along with additional broth.
- Add grains. Add white rice, brown rice, wild rice, leftover rice, quinoa or lentils.
- Make it spicy. Add a pinch of red pepper flakes and/or additional pepper for a spicier soup and to awaken all of the flavors. You can also saute a seeded, chopped jalapeno with the onions.
- Add Parmesan: Stir in freshly grated Parmesan at the end of the cooking.
How To Do The Cabbage Soup Diet
Cabbage soup can help you lose weight fast. You need to eat it every day for one week , along with several other foods allowed. You must have three days a meal, not more than that. If you feel the need to snack, you can have a serving of fruit between meals.
Heres how to do The 7-Day Cabbage Soup Diet:
- Day 1: have cabbage soup and fruits, but avoid bananas.
- Day 2: eat soup and vegetables, have a baked potato for dinner. No corn or beans allowed.
- Day 3: eat soup, vegetables, fruits. No potatoes allowed.
- Day 4: have soup, skim milk and bananas. By this day, you should no longer experience sweet cravings.
- Day 5: have cabbage soup twice and then a more consistent protein meal, like beef. Add tomatoes.
- Day 6: have soup, vegetables and beef again.
- Day 7: besides the cabbage soup, eat brown rice, vegetables and fruit.
Here are the fruits you can eat while on the cabbage soup diet:
The drinks you can have:
- Green and black tea
- Alcohol, packaged juice
- Ketchup, sauce of any kind, dips
- All grains, except for brown rice on the recommended day
- Potato, sweet potatoes
Although the diet is restrictive, you will get plenty of vitamins and minerals from the many fruits and vegetables you have to eat, especially from the fresh ones. This means you dont need to panic about not getting enough nutrients. You may want to take a multimineral and vitamin supplement if youre afraid youre not getting enough.
Read Also: Potato Soup With Frozen Hash Browns
So What Is Cabbage Soup Diet
Also known as Mayo Clinic Diet or Sacred Heart Hospital Diet, Diet Soup or wonder soup is intended for rapid weight loss. Cabbage soup diet is a short term plan before you hop to a healthier diet plan. In a week, this easy fix can help you lose 4.5 kg . According to the diet plan, for a week, you eat nothing but homemade cabbage soup along with few fruits and vegetables. The diet plan is for only for seven days and no more.
Speculations were made that, the diet plan was made in hospitals to help patient lose weight before heart surgery. But the hospitals inculpated denied any connection. Although there is no one can who vouches for the origin of the Cabbage Soup Diet, it became quite popular around 1980s and is here since.
The Cabbage Soup Diet Meal Plan
- Day 1: Unlimited fruit , unsweetened tea, cranberry juice, water
- Day 2: Unlimited fresh, raw, or cooked vegetables , except for dry beans, peas, and corn. Big baked potato for dinner.
- Day 3: Unlimited vegetables and fruit
- Day 4: Up to eight bananas and unlimited skim milk
- Day 5: Up to six fresh tomatoes, between 10 ounces and 20 ounces of beef or broiled fish
- Day 6: Unlimited beef and vegetables
- Day 7: Unlimited vegetables, unsweetened fruit juice, and enough brown rice to feel stuffed
You May Like: Lipton Pot Roast
Cabbage Soup For Weight Loss
This soup is naturally healthy, full of delicious and fresh vegetables and spices. Its not only low calorie, low carb, and low fat but its also vegan if you make it with vegetable stock. Its naturally vegetarian, gluten-free, Paleo, Whole30, and keto.
This healthy cabbage soup is also known as Weight Loss Soup, Wonder Soup, Cabbage Diet Soup, Fat Burning Soup, and Detox Cabbage Soup, and for a good reason. If you follow the 7-day cabbage soup diet, you could lose between 5 to 10 pounds.
TIPS FROM NELIS KITCHEN
Will The Cabbage Soup Diet Work For You
If you stick with it fully, it will work for you. The problem most people have is with sticking to it. Most people give up on the diet before they get the results they actually seek.
If you want the best shot at success, you need to follow the diet exactly. You should also drink plenty of water every day . You can take a daily multivitamin as well. Also, be sure to eat a lot of soup. Trying to starve yourself, or consuming too few calories will have the opposite effect that you want. It will cause your body to hold onto fat because it fears starvation. It can also cause you to cheat because youre feeling so hungry.
Don’t Miss: Campbell Soup Chicken And Rice Casserole
How To Add Rice To Vegetable Soup With Cabbage
- White rice: You canadd long grain white rice and cook for the last 12 minutes or untiltender.
- Wild rice or brown rice: You can also add brown rice or wild riceblend but they will take closer to 45 minutes to cook. If you choose either of these rice options,chop your vegetables larger so they dont overcook. Also, cover the pot and displace the lid aboutan-inch or so to prevent too much liquid from evaporating. You still many need to add additional brothat the end of cooking.
- Leftover rice: Add any leftovercooked rice at the very end of cooking and warm through.
Will You Lose Weight On The Cabbage Soup Diet
While there’s been no research on the cabbage soup diet’s effectiveness, all three nutritionists agree: In the short term you will lose weight.
“A diet this restrictive is going to have a very low-calorie intake,” says Valdez. While calories-in will vary day to day, and based on how much cabbage soup you manage to consume, he estimates most people’s calorie intake will drop to 1,000 to 1,200 per day. Considering a 150-pound woman of moderate activity level should be consuming about 1,800 and a 200-pound man of the same activity level should be consuming about 2,400 calories a day, this is a huge deficit. The result? You’ll see a smaller number on the scale at the week’s end.
Valdez warns the weight loss likely won’t last. Most of the weight loss comes from water weight, which you’ll easily gain back when you resume your normal regime, he says.
In the long term, the plan could even lead to weight gain. “When you drastically reduce your calorie intake, your body goes into starvation mode, which slows down your metabolism,” Valdez explains. “A slower metabolism can result in halted weight loss for some and weight gain for others.”
One of the diet’s other claims to fame is that it “melts away fat”, but Valdez says, “There are no foods in the world that magically melt away fat.” The best way to reduce body fat is through regular strength training and moderate protein intake, he says. And day 6 of the diet is the only day where you’re consuming much protein at all.
Also Check: Calphalon 4.5 Qt Soup Pot
How Does The Cabbage Soup Diet Help You Lose Weight
In general, soup diets focus on reducing calories and fat for several days. This can lead to quick weight loss and shedding a few pounds, helping some people stay motivated to eat healthier as they move on to a long-term diet. The cabbage soup provides many essential nutrients, and it can increase satiety, helping you feel fuller, so you eat less. However, diets like this should only be temporary because they do not include all food groups and can lead to nutrient deficiencies.
Extra Precautions To Take If You Try Following The Cabbage Soup Diet
If youre already at a healthy weight, do not have underlying health conditions that would make the plan unsafe, and want to lose a few extra pounds, talk to your healthcare team about whether the cabbage soup diet is right for you. Chances are theyll recommend a longer-term, safer eating plan that can help you lose a pound per week instead. Know that losing smaller amounts of weight at a time is better for you in the long run, as its more likely to stay off and not pose nutritional deficiencies during the plan period.
Recommended Reading: Potato Soup With Frozen Hash Browns
How Does The Cabbage Soup Diet Work
This diet is designed to be followed for a maximum of seven days, and not to be a long-term healthy eating plan. It consists of homemade cabbage soup, along with a few additional low-calorie foods such as fruit, vegetables and skimmed milk. Loosely speaking, you can consume the following along with unlimited cabbage soup:
- Day 1: Fruit, but no bananas
- Day 2: Leafy green vegetables, raw or cooked, and no fruit
- Day 3: As many fruits and vegetables as you can eat, but no baked potatoes or bananas
- Day 4: Skimmed milk, and as many bananas as you like
- Day 5: 280-570g lean beef or chicken and tomatoes
- Day 6: Beef and green leafy vegetables
- Day 7: Brown rice, unsweetened fruit juice and vegetables
Looking For Ideas For A Quick Weight Loss Or Detox The Cabbage Soup Diet Can Help You Lose Up To 10 Pounds In Just One Week Try This Delicious Eating Plan To Reduce Your Belly Fat Fast
New Delhi: If youre looking for ideas for a quick weight loss or detox, the cabbage soup diet may help you burn body fat and flatten your tummy. This cruciferous vegetable isnt just a culinary delight but also provides a host of health benefits. Cabbage is a healthful low-calorie vegetable that can be added to your daily diet when trying to shed a few pounds. Proponents of the cabbage soup diet claim it help you lose up to 10 pounds in just one week.
Generally, consuming fruits and veggies has been associated with weight loss and a lower risk of many adverse health conditions. Many studies have shown that the compounds in cabbage can reduce your risk of diabetes, heart disease, etc. Cabbage also contains sulforaphane that may help protect against certain types of cancer. Heres what you need to know about the cabbage soup diet for weight loss and whether or not it can really help you burn your belly fat. Read – Weight loss tips for brides-to-be: The Bride Diet plan can help you lose weight for your wedding in just 2 weeks
Read Also: Campbell’s Tomato Soup Sloppy Joe Recipe
Does The Cabbage Soup Diet Work
The cabbage soup diet is effective only if you understand how its supposed to work and respect all the given rules. Cabbage is a vegetable with a very low content of calories and when you eat a low amount of calories, two thing happen: your body has nothing to store as fat and it starts to burn its adipose tissue to produce the energy it needs. In addition, cabbage, especially prepared in a soup, makes for a very watery dish to consume. This controls your appetite and fills up your stomach, so you wont overeat.
It will also control other aspects, such as the potassium levels in your body and blood pressure. In addition, cabbage lowers cholesterol levels and boosts cardiovascular health. It is also good for the liver, helping it get rid of unwanted substances or anything thats in excess.
The liver is one of the most important organs when it comes to maintaining a healthy weight. Cruciferous vegetables, cabbage included, also fight inflammation in the body and have healing effects in case of tumors. Their effects on cancer cells are being researched. The anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects were already proven.
Drawbacks Of The Cabbage Soup Diet
As with most restrictive diets, it is possible to feel hungry or deprived during the first days. However, as the body gets the nutrients it needs and resets itself, you will no longer experience cravings. For example, as you consume fruit on a daily basis, you will no longer feel like you need to reach out for biscuits, candy or chocolate.
Another drawback is that the Cabbage Soup Diet can feel more boring than other diets. After all, you need to eat the same kind of soup every day for a whole week, for at least twice a day. Heres a tip: you can use spices to make it tasty and different each time.
The good news is that spices tend to boost the metabolism, not only make your meals delicious. Pepper, cloves, oregano, basil, chili etc. are well known for their fat burning properties, so go ahead and flavor your cabbage soup according to taste. Cabbage can take a whole range of different flavors. It will no longer feel like youre eating the same food over and over again.
Finally, there is the risk that the weight you lost comes back after a week on this diet. This happens because were dealing mostly with water weight. As stated in the beginning, this program isnt suitable for long-term or permanent weight loss. Do not attempt to turn it into a lifestyle, no matter how much youre enjoying the results.
What Vegetables Go In Vegetable Soup With Cabbage
There really is no right or wrong when it comes to what vegetables to add to Cabbage Soup although I highly suggest starting with the divine trio of carrots, onions and celery to create the flavorful base. I also like to include varying textures such as crisp-tender green beans and buttery, soft potatoes. My Cabbage Soup recipe includes:
- Cabbage: I recommend using standard green cabbage instead of savoy cabbage or any other cabbage.
- Potatoes: are optional, but I love the tender, morsels with hearty cabbage. You will want to use a waxy potato such as red potatoes, Yukon, new potatoes or fingerling potatoes. Waxy potatoes do not absorb moisture while they cook so they retain their shape despite extended high heat.
- Carrots: medium potatoes will do the trick. Please dont use baby carrots as they arent nearly as flavorful.
- Celery: chop the celery a little larger than the carrots because they cook more quickly.
- Green Beans: I like fresh green beans but they are not my favorite vegetable but I LOVE them in this Cabbage Soup recipe I highly recommend them! You can also use canned green beans but they will not have the same texture.
- Aromatics: onions and garlic are flavor powerhouses and absolutely essential. Fresh is best.
Side Effects Of Cabbage Soup Diet
Eliminating nearly half your calories doesnt come without a cost, most notably a drop in energy levels, poor gastrointestinal health, headaches, nausea, and excessive flatulence.
Stomach Issues: Many people experience cramping, stomach pain, constipation or diarrhea when they first begin this diet. This is a combination of changing your diet rapidly and reducing the normal nutrient content that your digestive system expects.
Flatulence: The most common and embarrassing side effect of a cabbage soup diet is the nearly constant flatulence. The gases released during cabbage digestion are unpleasant and difficult to avoid.
Nausea: Some people have experienced nausea, lightheadedness, muscle weakness and dizziness after a few days on a cabbage soup diet. This is largely due to the sudden drop in calories, particularly if you have a relatively fast metabolism, or are an active person. While many people choose this diet for weight loss, others use it to detoxify, but depriving your body of calories can be dangerous.
Headaches: Similar to nausea, headaches or even migraines can occur when on this diet, due to the lower energy levels in the body. It is important to drink a lot of water, as it can prevent headaches and help you feel full.
Mood Swings: If you have ever been extremely hungry, you know that it can affect your mood. Therefore, expect some emotional or unpredictable moments when your body is literally begging you to give it more calories.
Also Check: Knorr Vegetable Soup Mix Gluten Free
How Does Cabbage Soup Diet Work
A cabbage soup diet is based on the idea of caloric restriction, as we know that cabbage is a calorie-negative food. Essentially, it takes more calories to burn cabbage in the digestive process than the food actually contains. By making cabbage soup the central part of this diet, it is believed that it helps speed up the metabolism and reduce calorie intake, without depriving the body of too many essential nutrients for too long.
As mentioned, this is only intended to be a short-term diet, as the limited caloric intake can eventually have negative effects on the body. While most people dont go on this diet for more than 7 days, there are reports of people using this diet for a month, losing up to 30 pounds in the process. A caloric deficit of 50%, combined with semi-regular exercise, can result in rapid weight loss, provided you can deal with the potential side effects of this diet. Most importantly, before embarking on this diet, it is essential that you speak to your doctor about any particular risks or complications this diet might have for your health.
The inherent limitations of a cabbage soup diet are the duration it can be used for, the potential nutrient deficiencies, and the single-focus nature of the diet.
Single Focus: Most diets include a comprehensive approach to lifestyle, diet, and exercise, but this diet is solely focused on your eating habits, which can be less effective than broader dietary approaches.