Tips For The Best Chicken And Rice Casserole With Cream Of Mushroom Soup
- Cooking for a smaller family? Cut all of the ingredients in half and bake the casserole in an 8-inch square dish. The rest of the cooking instructions remain the same.
- Alternatively, you can divide the casserole ingredients between two 8-inch square baking dishes. Bake one now, and freeze the other for a later meal.
- Use a store-bought rotisserie chicken for an easy, quick-prep solution. The rotisserie chicken also adds a lot of flavor to the dish.
- Try microwaveable packets of rice for another shortcut, or use leftover rice from a previous meal.
- Use full-fat sour cream for the best flavor and texture.
- Bake the casserole just until it’s heated through. All of the ingredients are already cooked, so you just want to warm it in the oven until bubbly. Don’t bake it for too long or it may dry out or get burned on top.
How To Make One
What Goes Into This Chicken Bake
- Chicken if your chicken breasts are on the small side, leave them whole and use 4 of them. Chicken thighs would work if you prefer those.
- Garlic powder I cant resist infusing a savory, garlicky taste
- Italian seasoning its a blend of dried herbs like rosemary and sage that comes in a single jar in the spice aisle of your grocery store. So handy!
- Pepper being generous with pepper really amps up the flavor
- Condensed soup we chose mushroom for this bake. Cream of soups can be quite salty, so use a reduced-sodium variety if thats a consideration.
- Mozzarella shredded mozza just pairs so well with baked chicken!
Read Also: Unlimited Soup And Salad Olive Garden
Does Adding Lemon Juice To Milk Make It Curdle
Yes and no. Typically, adding lemon to milk does make it curdle. But since we are using whole milk , as well as cooking cream and a significant amount of all-purpose flour, the soup will not curdle because there is enough fat. To ensure that the soup doesnt curdle, be sure to lower the heat and make sure the soup is not boiling or very hot before you add the chicken and rice. Stirring continuously once you add the lemon juice will also prevent the soup from curdling.
Campbells Chicken And Rice Recipe Notes
- Food Handling: A reminder to handle raw chicken appropriately and disinfect hands and cooking utensils properly.
- Stirring in the soup: Using a fork or a whisk, I mix just the soup and water together first until the soup is diluted. Then, add the rice and the spices and stir them until theyre well distributed.
- The foil: make sure you have a tight seal with the foil. The chicken will put quite a bit of moisture into the mix as it cooks and adds delicious flavor, so make sure you get the foil back on tightly after adding the chicken. Use oven mitts to fold the foil around the hot pan.
- Spices: This old school chicken and rice casserole is not overly spiced. If you want to add a bit of heat, consider some crushed red pepper. A pinch of garlic, cumin, or rosemary are all good options as well.
You May Like: Lactose Free Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Don’t Miss: Is Campbell’s Tomato Soup Keto Friendly
Can You Freeze Chicken And Wild Rice Soup
Freezing chicken and wild rice soup is an excellent way to keep it fresh even longer.
Pour it into quart-size bags for individual servings before freezing, so you have the option of using just as much as you want to eat without needing to thaw the entire batch.
Once its defrosted, its not a good idea to refreeze the soup. Youll have up to five days to eat it depending on how soon after cooking you froze it.
This is why its a good idea to freeze the soup in individual portions, so theres no waste.
Chicken And Rice Casserole
This easy Chicken and Rice Casserole with Cream of Mushroom Soup and shredded rotisserie chicken is a simple, delicious, and comforting dinner that you can make ahead. The recipe takes advantage of a few shortcuts for quick prep, but adds herbs and vegetables for plenty of fresh flavor. Serve the casserole with a simple green salad, biscuits, or a loaf of crusty bread to round out the meal!
Also Check: Aldi Soup Mix
Rice And Chicken Casserole Recipe With Cream Of Mushroom Soup
If you are looking for an easy dinner recipe, I have one for you to try. It is a rice and chicken casserole recipe made with cream of mushroom soup.
This is such a delicious dinner recipe. It is sure to become a classic comfort food and maybe even a family favorite! Plus because it is so easy to make, it is a great dinner idea for those busy weeknights.
If you are looking for other easy recipes or sides to go with this, here are a few recipes to check out.
- 1 Can Of Cream of Mushroom Soup
- ½ Cup Sour Cream
- 8 oz Long Grain Wild Uncooked Rice, pre-cook
- cup Chicken Broth
- 1 Tsp. Dry Basil
- 2 Cups Boneless Chicken Breast, cooked & shredded or cubed
- Cup Parmesan Cheese
How To Cook Chicken For A Casserole
While it’s possible to cook a casserole with raw chicken, you’ll need cooked chicken for this recipe, and a variety of options will work. Pick the most convenient method for you:
- Rotisserie Chicken: This is a great shortcut! Purchase a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store, shred the meat, and use in the recipe as instructed. One chicken should yield at least 3 cups of meat.
- Boiled and Pulled Chicken: Boil about 1½ lbs. of boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs until cooked through . When cool enough to handle, chop or pull the chicken. I find that 1½ lbs. of chicken breasts yields about 3 cups of pulled chicken.
- Leftover Chicken: If you have leftover grilled or baked chicken from a previous meal, put those extras to good use in this casserole.
Don’t Miss: Healthy Canned Soups For Weight Loss
Instant Pot Cream Of Mushroom Chicken And Wild Rice
Instant Pot cream of mushroom chicken and wild rice is a perfect weeknight dinner. This cozy casserole comes together quickly in one pot for easy prep and clean up.
We love a good chicken and rice dish and this creamy Instant Pot chicken and rice is just like a chicken, cream of mushroom soup, and wild rice casserole my mom made growing up. Its similar to the cheesy shrimp casserole that I make all of the time.
This is an easy weeknight dinner recipe you can throw together in a few minutes, lock the lid in place and in practically no time you have a cozy, comfort food dinner!
If you love chicken and rice as much as I do you need to try our Instant Pot Jambalaya and Cheesy Instant Pot Chicken and Rice with Broccoli.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. Thank you!
Use Condensed Soup If You Can Get It
So for these photos, I used a different manufacturers can of cream of chicken soup for these pictures. .
However, the soup I used here was not condensed so the sauce is slightly different and less thick than usual. So as I mention in the recipe, if you use a non-condensed can of soup, you may want to thicken the sauce before serving, using the optional cornflour mentioned in the recipe.
So my recommendation is, if you can get your hands on some Campbells condensed cream of chicken soup, please do use that. It is just better, and will give you a thicker and tastier sauce in your casserole! Their soups really are the best!
Chicken and rice casserole
I have used chicken breast in this recipe, but if you wish you can also use chicken thighs and cook the chicken on the bone if you prefer. It is up to you.
The secret to getting the nice fluffy rice in the photos is to rinse and soak your rice before you cook it. Check out some tips in my pilau rice recipe, just leave out all the added ingredients and add only a pinch of salt, but follow the same process of rinsing and soaking.
I hope you get to try this recipe. If you do, please let me know how you get on in the comments section below!
Read Also: Onion Soup Mix Potatoes Recipe
How To Store This Wild Rice Soup Recipe
Keep any leftover soup you plan on eating soon in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days.
Ladle soup into a bowl to microwave or a pot on the stove and heat through when youre ready for another serving.
This is an excellent option for leftover night or even to prep in advance and heat up to eat another night.
Best Campbells Cream Of Chicken Casserole Recipes
Recipes Using Cream of Chicken Soup Campbells Condensed Cream of Chicken soup is a pantry staple in many households. This oh-so versatile soup forms a delicious base for so many recipes. Make something spectacular for dinner tonight with these recipes and ideas.
Easy Chicken Casserole Recipes & Ideas Easy Cook Recipes Easy Hacks to Make Your Tomato Soup Even Better Recipes Under $10 Recipes Using Cream of Chicken Soup Recipes Using Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipes Using Tomato Soup Campbells® Newsletter Signup Sign Up. Recipes, meal planning ideas and more. Delivered from our family to yours.
Ingredients. 1 can Campbells Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup frozen vegetable combination , thawed. 2 cans (4.5 ounces each.
Spread one half can of cream of chicken soup on bottom of 9 x 9 inch baking dish. Cut tortillas in strips. Layer tortillas, chicken, over top of casserole. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Serves 4.
Put these best chicken casserole recipes in your rotation. Whether spicy or cozy, veggie-packed or topped with biscuits, theyre bound to please a crowd. 1 / 50. Chicken and Swiss Stuffing Bake I love to cook but just dont have much time. This casserole is both comforting and fast, which makes it my favorite kind of recipe.
Our most trusted Campbells Chicken Casserole With Ritz Crackers recipes. Reviewed by millions of home cooks.
Also Check: Is Lipton Dry Onion Soup Mix Gluten Free
How Chicken & Rice Was Made In The 50s
My mother, Christene Kirchner, and her sister Lois Epps use to make an easy chicken and rice dish for a quick summer meal. It was one of those Campbells soup casserole dishes that were everywhere in the 1950s.
Early in my married life, I started making this dish but it never seemed to come out right, the rice was either too hard or too soft. Until I discovered I could make this dish hands free and almost perfect is my Instant Pot.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience ! .
Mushroom Soup Chicken And Rice Casserole
Youve probably guessed how to make this casserole from the name. But can you guess how good it tastes?
This is surprisingly hearty and satisfying, so its one to keep for those days when youre hungry but lazy .
And big families will appreciate that its scalable and budget-friendly.
Cheaper cuts of chicken like thighs work well here, as they stay juicy and soak up all the flavor while it simmers in the oven.
Recommended Reading: Campbell Soup Broccoli Rice Casserole
Slow Cooker Cream Of Mushroom Chicken And Rice
This creamy cheesy delicious mushroom chicken and rice is slow cooker easy for a busy weekday dinner!
Slow Cooker Cream of Mushroom Chicken and Rice is a delicious recipe that is creamy, cheesy, and super easy! Who doesnt love a meal that practically cooks itself? This chicken and rice dish is a notch above the rest with seared chicken and added mushrooms, onions, and garlic for extra flavor. No bland white rice here. And bonusthe leftovers are just as tasty as that first amazing bite!
How To Make The Chicken In The Instant Pot
Read Also: Chef\s Cupboard Chicken Noodle Soup Mix
Don’t Miss: Pea Anderson Inn
Chicken With Cream Of Mushroom Soup
Chicken With Cream Of Mushroom Soup, or Chicken With Cream of Mushroom Soup, or Chicken with Cream of Mushroom Soup all these variations of a classic recipe for chicken and tortilla soup will be equally delicious.
Chicken with cream of mushroom soup is a tasty treat thats healthy and nutritious.
Mushroom Soup Chicken & Rice Casserole
I have been eating this mushroom soup chicken and rice casserole for as long as I can remember. This recipe has chicken pieces of your choice that are baked up in a creamy mushroom soup and rice casserole, with cheese on top! Oh, and my Grandma would always sprinkle crushed saltine crackers on top as well, an awesome retro touch!
Read Also: Pot Roast Recipe Cream Of Mushroom
Can You Freeze This Campbells Chicken And Rice
This wont freeze very well due to texture issues with the rice. Its so fast to make and tastes so good fresh, theres no need to bother with freezing it!
If you have a portion of leftovers that you want to freeze, allow this creamy chicken and rice to cool and put it in a well-sealed freezer container.
Youll likely need to add some moisture when you reheat it, and the rice will probably be mushy. However, itll still taste yummy.
Campbells Condensed Cream Of Chicken Soup
The key to the recipe is, of course, the Campbells soup. Remember the iconic paintings of Campbells soup cans by Andy Warhol? Yes, those are the ones! They look a bit like this:
Campbells Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup Can
Now, back in the good old days, Campbells used to be the best known and eaten brand of soup that I can remember. But now it does seem to be less easy to get hold of, and certainly, where we live, I, unfortunately, could not find any Campbells condensed cream of chicken soup anywhere, so I had to use a replacement.
Recommended Reading: Swiss Steak With Lipton Onion Soup Mix
Stovetop Creamy Chicken And Rice
Stovetop Creamy Chicken and Rice Tender chicken and mushroom with creamy rice in an easy one pan dinner. So easy and great for busy nights.
When I was growing up there were a few things that were staples in our house. Chicken and rice casserole was one of them. My mom would mix a can of cream of mushroom soup, milk, rice, and lots of poultry seasoning together. Top with chicken breasts and bake until everything was done. I loved the creamy mushroom rice in that dinner.
But today I am making it even better! Not only is there no canned soup involved, but it is ready in about 25 minutes on the stovetop, and all in just one pan! Plus real mushrooms are involved! There is still the milk to make it creamy and delicious.
This post is sponsored by ADA Mideast. All thoughts and opinions are 100% my own.
I am excited to be sharing this recipe in a partnership with the American Dairy Association. You may remember Yogurt Marinated Pork Kebobs that I shared earlier this year. I am a huge proponent of using real milk and dairy in your life.
Non-dairy alternatives, such as almond and soy, contain many added ingredients, including salt, syrups, thickeners and sugars. Cows milk, on the other hand, is pure and simple. Check the label to compare the added ingredients. This chicken and rice has just a few simple ingredients, and that is what makes it over the top amazing!