Pros Of The Cabbage Soup Diet:
Theres no denying that cabbage itself is packed with health benefits, as nutritionist at Lifesum Lovisa Nilsson explains. Cabbage is healthy, as it contains plenty of fibre and antioxidants such as vitamin C, she shares. But does that mean you should only eat cabbage? No.
Windas points out that such a low calorie content will likely help you lose weight temporarily. The choices are so limited that youre not likely to over-consume these foods thus keeping you in a calorie deficit and enabling weight loss, she shares.
Do note here: The large intake of cabbage will mean a large intake of fibre. Which is good, sure, but could make those prone to bloating and increased flatulence, like IBS sufferers, struggle.
How Does The Cabbage Soup Diet Work
This diet is designed to be followed for a maximum of seven days, and not to be a long-term healthy eating plan. It consists of homemade cabbage soup, along with a few additional low-calorie foods such as fruit, vegetables and skimmed milk. Loosely speaking, you can consume the following along with unlimited cabbage soup:
- Day 1: Fruit, but no bananas
- Day 2: Leafy green vegetables, raw or cooked, and no fruit
- Day 3: As many fruits and vegetables as you can eat, but no baked potatoes or bananas
- Day 4: Skimmed milk, and as many bananas as you like
- Day 5: 280-570g lean beef or chicken and tomatoes
- Day 6: Beef and green leafy vegetables
- Day 7: Brown rice, unsweetened fruit juice and vegetables
Is Cabbage Soup Good For Weight Loss
Its completely understandable if youre a little skeptical about whether or not cabbage soup can actually help you to lose weight.
- Its a rather low calorie soup and since weight loss boils down to calories in vs calories out, weight loss is a natural byproduct of eating low calorie meals like cabbage soup.
- The liquid content of the soup helps to prevent dehydration. Many times when people feel hungry, theyre really feeling the effects of thirst and dehydration instead. By making sure that your body is properly hydrated, you should notice a marked decrease in hunger pangs and cravings.
- Cabbage soup is incredibly nutrient-dense thanks to the sheer variety of vegetables and herbs used. Each bowl of this soup offers an abundance of essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that give your body everything it needs to function at its best.
Read Also: Lipton Onion Soup Mix Chip Dip
Slow Cooker Cabbage Soup:
You May Like: Sloppy Joes Recipe With Tomato Soup
What To Serve With Cabbage Soup
- A crusty roll or baguette is the perfect companion to a bowl of healthy soup, unless of course you are on a weight loss regime. Another idea is to cut thick slices of sourdough and toast them until well charred, rub with a cut side of a garlic clove and place in the bowl before ladling the soup over. The toasted sourdough will absorb all the flavours of the soup and become soft and delicious.
- This cabbage soup recipe contains canned chickpeas but these could easily be substituted with any other canned bean, such as cannellini beans, or even butter beans.
- If you want to adjust the recipe for children who may not enjoy copious amounts of cabbage, substitute half the cabbage for a small pasta shape such as Ditalini or orzo to make a soup more akin to minestrone. Similarly, 40g of risotto rice instead of the pasta or beans will work well. It will swell up in the liquid, so once again you will need to top up with hot stock so it doesnt become too thick.
- Cabbage and potatoes have a natural affinity and chopped peeled potatoes in place of or as well as the chickpeas add a nice touch. Follow this recipe for potato and Savoy cabbage soup with bacon which is less aromatic but just as delicious and comforting.
Read Also: Campbell Rice Recipes
What Can You Eat On The Cabbage Soup Diet
The foods on this diet are very restricted. On each day, youll consume a different type of food in addition to 2-3 bowls of your cabbage soup . Here are the foods youre allowed to add:
- Day 1: Fruit, except bananas
- Day 2: Vegetables like leafy greens
- Day 3: Fruits and vegetables
- Day 4: Bananas and skim milk
- Day 5: Beef or baked skinless chicken and tomatoes
- Day 6: Beef and vegetables
- Day 7: Brown rice, unsweetened fruit juices, and vegetables
Vegetarians can replace beef with tofu or almond butter to get their protein, although many dieters eat more cabbage soup these days.
How Does Cabbage Soup Diet Help Weight Loss
Are you looking for the perfect weight loss diet but dont know which one to choose? Is cabbage one of those veggies you dont mind adding to your weight loss process? If yes, you will love the cabbage soup diet we bring you in this article.
According to the proponents, the cabbage soup diet can help you lose almost 10 pounds in seven days. If youre looking for a quick and easy way to lose weight, this is exactly what your body needed.
Don’t Miss: Gluten Free French Onion Soup Canned
What Are The Usda Recommendations
Once you successfully go through the seven-day cabbage soup diet, you will need a new direction. You cannot continue it any longer and you also wouldnt want to add back the weight you lost. Find out what USDA recommends all of us to eat in a day to get the next cues of your balanced diet plan.
According to the US Department of Agriculture, you need to add the following to your diet to ensure its a healthy one:
- You need to add dark leafy greens like broccoli, spinach, green beans, Swiss chard under your veggies list
- Apples, melon, and berries are the best weight loss fruits
- You must have grains like quinoa, oats, and brown rice
- You need lean meat like chicken breast, turkey breast, and fish
- Beans and legumes are a must
- Seeds like sunflower and nuts like almonds and walnuts are essential
- Drink low-fat milk, yogurt, and cheese
- Use avocado and olive oil
Even when the cabbage soup diet is loaded with vegetables, it doesnt fit into this guideline. It is quite restrictive and doesnt provide many forms of nutrients. This form of a diet is not healthy.
According to the USDA, an adult body needs to consume an average of 1,500 calories every day. The calorie count varies according to age, weight, sex, and activity level.
Cabbage Soup Diet Reviews
1I ate this soup for months when the recipe came out years ago. You have to eat nothing else to lose weight. I lost about 30 lbs!
I gave the recipe to everyone at work and they all lost weight too. Besides which, it is an excellent soup but I still like it. I have added chickpeas to the recipe for some protein. Also, lean hamburger goes well
2Ive been making this for my boyfriend for about three months now. The only thing I do differently is to add ground turkey. He eats a light breakfast of whatever he wants, a light sandwich for lunch and the soup for dinner.
He likes to add some heat in the form of Tabasco or different dried peppers as it heats on the stove EVERY NIGHT. Hes lost over 50 pounds! Im sick of making it, but if its working and hes enjoying it, Ill keep a pot in the fridge
3I would recommend NOT making alterations to this soup because the purpose of the recipe is to lose weight. I did lose weight when I made this , and it tasted great!
I checked with a local hospital, and they said this recipe is used for overweight patients to get them to lose weight rapidly to prepare for surgery. I would recommend this recipe to anyone!
The above cabbage soup reviews are courtesy of Allrecipes.
Recommended Reading: Andersen Split Pea Soup Hotel
Any Top Tips On How To Make Cabbage Soup Delicious
- Taking the time to slowly sweat the onion, carrots and celery will provide a sweeter more rounded backbone to your soup. Make sure you are cooking them on the lowest heat possible and with a lid on, so the precious steam stays inside the pot and helps to soften the vegetables before they begin to burn. Stirring them from time to time so they cook evenly ensures they wont catch.
- It might sound obvious, but making sure the vegetables are all cut to a similar size will help them cook evenly.
- If you think they could do with longer than 15 minutes, dont be afraid to cook them for longer. Use your judgement, they should be sweet and translucent and almost falling apart, but not browned.
- Cabbage soup calls for a good balance between the amount of liquid and that of softened vegetables. The vegetables will slightly thicken the stock and give you that slightly viscous texture a soup needs, as opposed to just chopped veg bobbing about in water.
- If you prefer to use fresh tomatoes, simply chop the tomatoes and add to the vegetables with the cabbage so they get sautéed and not just boiled. You might need to add a little more liquid to compensate later in the process.
Is The Cabbage Soup Diet A Healthy Choice For You
Though there are no guarantees, the cabbage soup diet might help you lose weight quickly for the short term. However, it is not a long-term weight loss solution or a healthy eating plan, nor does it teach skills like healthy meal planning and preparing, which are needed for sustained weight loss.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture dietary guidelines include recommendations and tips for a healthy, balanced diet. The following nutrient-dense foods are recommended as part of a healthy diet:
- Vegetables and dark, leafy greens
The USDA recommends consuming roughly 1,500 calories per day for weight loss, but this number varies based on age, sex, weight, and activity level. Because cabbage soup diet recipes vary, there isn’t one standard set of nutrition facts for cabbage soup, but on average, a bowl has about 50100 calories. Use this calculator to determine the right number of calories for you and your weight loss goals.
While the cabbage soup diet is high in vegetables, the overall diet does not adhere to USDA guidelines. The diet is highly restrictive and does not provide a wide variety of nutrients or calories. It is not considered a healthy eating plan.
You May Like: Crock Pot Pot Roast With Onion Soup Mix
Heres What You Need To Know
The Cabbage Soup Diet is not intended for long-term weight loss. If youre looking for a lifestyle change, this is not it. If youre just looking to drop a few pounds quickly, such as for a wedding or special event, then this may be just what youre looking for. As the name implies, its a diet that requires you to eat large amounts of cabbage soup. If you really hate cabbage, or dont think you can stomach eating mostly cabbage soup for a week, this is not the diet for you.
Important Note: This diet is not meant to be done for more than one week at a time.
Some proponents of the diet claim you can lose up to 10 pounds in a week from it. Lets take a look at some pros and cons.
Pros Of The Cabbage Diet
The cabbage soup diet is considered a fad diet that can provide quick, short-term weight loss, but it is not necessarily healthy. Review the pros and cons so you can make an informed decision about trying this diet plan.
- Easy to follow: The simple rules of diet are fairly easy to follow. With unlimited amounts of cabbage soup, the diet can also be filling. As a short-term diet, those who follow this plan only need to stick with it for a week.
- Quick weight loss: Proponents of the cabbage soup diet claim you can lose 10 pounds in one week, but there is a lack of evidence to support those claims. While no research studies have examined the effectiveness of the cabbage soup diet, the seven-day plan consists of mostly low-calorie foods. Research has shown that reduced-calorie diets can help promote weight loss.
While the plan may provide quick weight loss results, it is not a long-term solution for managing your weight.
What Are The Ingredients Of The Diet Cabbage Soup
Although most recipes have bouillon/water and veggies in common, there are different recipes for the diet soup. Our diet cabbage soup is low-fat and has low carb veggies, among other ingredients that are detox and anti-inflammatory, such as spinach, garlic, turmeric, tomatoes, and lemon juice. It is similar to Weight Watchers Cabbage Soup!
Here are the ingredients for the diet cabbage soup that maximizes weight loss while detoxing:
- Olive oil
Does The Cabbage Soup Diet Work
The cabbage soup diet is effective only if you understand how its supposed to work and respect all the given rules. Cabbage is a vegetable with a very low content of calories and when you eat a low amount of calories, two thing happen: your body has nothing to store as fat and it starts to burn its adipose tissue to produce the energy it needs. In addition, cabbage, especially prepared in a soup, makes for a very watery dish to consume. This controls your appetite and fills up your stomach, so you wont overeat.
It will also control other aspects, such as the potassium levels in your body and blood pressure. In addition, cabbage lowers cholesterol levels and boosts cardiovascular health. It is also good for the liver, helping it get rid of unwanted substances or anything thats in excess.
The liver is one of the most important organs when it comes to maintaining a healthy weight. Cruciferous vegetables, cabbage included, also fight inflammation in the body and have healing effects in case of tumors. Their effects on cancer cells are being researched. The anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects were already proven.
Don’t Miss: Campbell Soup Chicken And Rice Casserole
How Do You Do The 7
On the 7- day cabbage soup diet, you follow a specific eating plan every day. Along with eating these foods, you can have cabbage soup as often as youd like. This soup is also called wonder soup, weight loss soup, miracle soup, and weight watcher soup. So many names for this soup!
This unlimited soup rule is what drew me to the 7-day cabbage soup diet. I love that I can eat this soup in unlimited quantities. I HATE being hungry, and I will not stick to any diet if Im hungry. Point. Blank. Period. Dont forget you MUST drink eight glasses of water each day. My results vary if I slack on water.
How Long Will It Keep
- If you plan to eat this over a few days, make the soup base but dont add the cabbage until you are ready to eat it. The cabbage can become a little soggy once cooked and left for a few days, so it is better wilted in oil and added each day before you plan to eat it.
- Avoid stirring the cabbage into the hot liquid which is akin to boiling the cabbage as this will release the sulphurous odour which can put people off cabbage for life!
- The soup base will keep for up to five days in the fridge.
You May Like: Campbell Soup Chicken And Rice Casserole
Weight Loss Vegetable Soup Variations
Whether you are wanting to be on the cabbage soup diet to jump-start weight loss or if you are just hungry for easy vegetable soup, you are in luck. There are always ways to adjust and change my recipes! I never want you to get bored. Some of these ideas fit the cabbage soup diet, and some are to add in extra flavors. Try some of these ideas:
- Chicken broth Replace the beef broth with some chicken broth if thats what you prefer. It will taste wonderful either way.
- Chicken If you arent trying to eat a soup diet for weight loss, add in some diced chicken for some protein.
- Turkey Use ground turkey for some extra heartiness to this cabbage soup.
- Celery Its a non-starchy vegetable that will be a great addition to the vegetable soup with cabbage. Plus, its inexpensive too!
- Mushrooms Oh yummy mushrooms! They make everything, especially this homemade vegetable soup recipe taste better.
- Cauliflower The flavor of cauliflower pairs amazing with this cabbage soup. Additionally, it makes the soup even more filling.
How Do You Make Cabbage Soup To Lose Weight
Weight-loss Cabbage Soup is a very easy veggie soup thats wonderful for weight loss yet still tasty, soothing, and also loading made in simply thirty minutes.
This Soup Dish is also much healthier and also simpler than Traditional Cabbage Soup yet is likewise scrumptious and also satisfying.
WEIGHT REDUCTION CABBAGE SOUP
Weight-loss Cabbage Soup is likewise called Diet plan Soup, Marvel Soup, or GM Diet Regimen Marvel Soup. This Cabbage Soup is the main component of an eating strategy that has actually been around for several years taking pleasure in unrestricted Cabbage Soup throughout.
Read more: Seriously Good White Bean Soup
Wonder Soup makes a fantastic base for healthy and balanced consuming due to the fact that its reduced in calories, nutrient-dense, fat-free, and also sugar-free.
Listening To all that, you could be beginning to imagine a terribly boring soup, yet fortunately the tasty active ingredients like cabbage, garlic, tomatoes, basil, and also oregano provide this broth-based Cabbage Soup an outstanding preference while continuing to be low-calorie. This is a tasty soup that you can take pleasure in for a very easy healthier meal occasionally. If you simply have Cabbage Soup as a normal supper, you can make some Soft Rolls to accompany it for a calming dish.
EVEN MORE SOUP DISHES
Prepping the Marvel Soup
Read more: how to make tomato soup at home
VARIANTS ON WEIGHT REDUCTION CABBAGE SOUP
Don’t Miss: Andersen Split Pea Soup Hotel