Is Dry Onion Soup Mix Healthy
Homemade dry onion soup mix contains only 6 ingredients all of which are just straightforward spices. One ingredient is beef bouillon powder. Just read the label to make sure it has the least about of things added to it and that its gluten-free.
So overall, yes Id say this homemade french onion soup mix is a pretty healthy option.
Homemade Onion Soup Mix
Im not going to lie and tell you that you will save oodles of money making your own onion soup mix recipe. A box of Lipton packets costs less than $2, but I will tell you that this one is a little tastier and works great in a pinch for a substitute.
Ill also go out on a limb here and say 90% of my foodie friends already have all the ingredients they need to make this recipe in their pantry.
Additional Copycat Onion Soup Mix Tips
- If you use this recipe for instant soup, usehomemade stock or beef broth instead of beef bouillon and avoid the too-much-salt situation entirely.
- To make this dry mix vegetarian or vegan, substitute vegetable bouillon instead of beef.
- One ¼ cup serving is the equivalent to one envelope of dry onion soup mix.
- This recipe is a bigger batch. Not massive, but youll get at least 3 servings out of it.
- I like to make a big batch and store it in the spice cabinet in a re-purposed jar. Then I scoop out 4 Tablespoons for whatever recipe Im making .
What Is Lipton Onion Soup Mix Made Of
The box mix that you buy in the store has sugar and corn starch, wheat, artificial coloring, and corn syrupand a bunch of other ingredients that I cant even pronounce, all ingredients that you shouldnt eat if you are trying to eat a much healthier lifestyle.
Instead, you can make this very easy mixture that does not have all of those unnecessary ingredients, plus it costs less money to make your own.
Beefy Onion Soup Mix Ingredients
Simple ingredients for superb tastes!
- Dried Onion: I prefer the chopped dried onion, more flavor and texture.
- Beef Bouillon: If you only have cubes, crush them into granules.
- Onion Powder: Gives that extra punch of onion.
- Dried Parsley: Flavor and color
- Paprika: Adds a nice mild flavor.
- Salt and Pepper: Add to taste.
You May Like: Amy’s Low Sodium Lentil Vegetable Soup
Homemade Onion Soup Mix Faqs
What is in onion soup mix?
Most commercial varieties on the market have the basics: dehydrated onions, onion powder, a LOT of salt and sodium, some sugar, and then several flavor additives and sometimes fillers. While some do not list gluten-containing ingredients, they generally cannot be relied upon to be gluten-free, and many state that they contain milk.
Can this onion soup mix be made gluten-free?
Yup! Sure can. Because this recipe does not use fillers and additives, you have much more control over your ingredients. Youll need to find gluten-free options for each ingredient, which generally arent too hard to find as many of them are naturally gluten-free. But pay special attention to make sure your beef bouillon does not contain any gluten!
How long will this mix last?
If stored in a cool, dry place and kept as air-tight as possible, this mix can easily last 6-12 months. If you live in a very humid environment, you may find that you get a slightly shorter shelf-life out of it.
Here are some great recipes where you can use this copycat Lipton onion soup mix:
Enjoy This Amazing Brisket Recipe
1.Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2.Mix together soup mix, water, ketchup, garlic and black pepper, sugar if using until combined.
3.Pour into pan, lay brisket over sauce then turn over a few times to coat the brisket.
4.Lay sliced onions over brisket.
5.Cover pan with aluminum foil, not too tight.
6.Bake for about 3 hours or until brisket is tender.
7.Let sit in the pan for about 15 minutes before slicing. Enjoy!!
Also Check: Lipton Herb And Garlic Soup Mix
How To Make Homemade Dry Onion Soup Mix:
Measure all of the ingredients into a bowl or a lidded container.
Mix together well. Use as a substitute for a 1-ounce envelope of dry onion soup mix.
You could certainly make extra and pop it into an old container to use for later!
To make soup: Place this mix into medium saucepan. Stir in 4 cups water and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Makes about 3 ½ cups.
To make onion dip: Combine this mix with 1 container sour cream.
USE YOUR NEW HOMEMADE ONION SOUP MIX IN THESE RECIPES:
Tips & Tricks For Making The Best Meatloaf
- Want to make meatloaf sandwiches? Just place a slice of leftover meatloaf in between your choice of bread. Top it with mayo, onions, pickles, and all your favorite toppings. Delicious.
- Apart from onion soup mix, you could also try other soup mixes to flavor the beef. Onion and mushroom soup mix, herb with garlic soup mix, and beefy onion soup mix all make fantastic alternatives!
- Want to try this in a slow cooker? Go ahead! Cover the meatloaf in a piece of cheesecloth, place it on a rack, then into the slow cooker it goes. This technique will hold the meatloaf together as you take it in and out of the slow cooker. Cook the meatloaf on high for 4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.
- Want to cut back on calories? Use ground turkey instead of beef, egg beater in place of the eggs, and homemade whole wheat breadcrumbs instead of white breadcrumbs.
- Add some chopped parsley to the recipe to give your meatloaf more flavor and color.
- Give your meatloaf some extra flavor by seasoning it with Italian spices and Parmesan cheese. Yum!
- Instead of ketchup, you can also use your favorite spaghetti sauce instead. Top the meatloaf with additional spaghetti sauce as it bakes for an incredibly moist, irresistible loaf.
- Cheddar cheese can take your meatloaf to a whole new level. Add it to your beef mixture and taste the difference.
- Want to cut back on the grease? Place a few pieces of bread underneath the meatloaf and it will soak up the grease as it bakes.
Read Also: Kikkoman Hot And Sour Soup
What Happens If Lipton Recipe Soup & Dip Mix Onion Is Out Of Stock And I Need To Give Specific Instructions
- Find Best Match: By default, your shopper will use their best judgement to pick a replacement for your item.
- Pick Specific Replacement: You can pick a specific alternative for the shopper to purchase if your first choice is out-of-stock.
- Don’t Replace: For items you’d rather not replace, choose “Don’t replace” to get a refund if the item is out of stock.
How To Make Homemade Onion Soup Mix
This is one of the easiest recipes you will makewell actually any other homemade seasoning recipes as well. But for today lets make this homemade onion soup mix.
In a small bowl combine the following:
- ½ cup dried onion flakes
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
Stir all the ingredients together then transfer into a jar or container.
SeeI told you its that simple!
Read Also: Lactose Free Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Is Onion Soup Mix Gluten Free
One of the questions I get most often is how someone can tailor a recipe to fit their dietary needs. And I’m not gonna lie y’all, I really don’t like to go there. There are just too many factors in health-specific diets that there is no possible way I can be an expert in them all, and let’s be real, I’m just a cook – not a doctor or a certified nutritionist. Many store-bought onion soup mixes are not gluten free. But this recipe is!
A Homemade Version Of This Popular Pantry Staple Is Easy And Economical To Make For Convenient Use Whenever Needed A Single Recipe Makes 4 Packets
Homemade versions of store-bought staples can be really useful. Sometimes, the DIY version is healthier, cheaper, and/or allows you to swap out off-limits ingredients. Most times, they taste better, too.
This copycat version of the well-known onion soup packets is something I often use in a super-easy, fall-apart-tender recipe for chuck roast. The sodium content will be better than with the name brand packet, but bouillon is still high in sodium. Keep in mind that the following recipe makes the equivalent of 4-1/2 packets. There are sodium-free beef bouillon options if this is a concernorganic options exist as well.
So if you have recipes tucked away for meatloaf, French onion dip, or your moms classic chicken and rice casserole that call for these pre-made packets, this might be reason to revisit them.
You May Like: Olive Garden Gluten Free Soup
How Many Tablespoons Equals One Packet Of Lipton Onion Soup Mix
There are about 3 tablespoons in a Lipton onion soup packet, give or take a smidge. In most recipes, you can eyeball the amount and use a little more or a little less without worry of ruining the recipe.
The only thing to be mindful of is salt content. If the recipe calls for additional salt, add the soup mix and then season with salt accordingly. Adding both could make it to too salty. Same goes for recipes using broth, opt for a low-sodium broth so you can control the saltiness.
More Gluten Free Mixes And Convenience Products Substitutes
Gluten Free Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup Use this easy recipe as a substitute in casserole and crockpot recipes just like the canned variety!
Gluten Free Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup This recipe is an easy version of the condensed kind. Use it as a substitute in casserole and crockpot recipes just like the canned variety!
Homemade Fajita SeasoningGluten Free spice mixes are expensive and can be difficult to locate in stores. Making your own Fajita Seasoning is more affordable and easy to make.
Gluten Free Garlic and Herb Dressing Mix This dressing mix is great on salad but has other amazing uses as well! Use it for seasoning chicken. Mix it with softened butter for spreading on bread or in cream cheese for bagels. Its also great mixed with sour cream and mayo for veggie dip.
Read Also: Low Carb Cream Of Mushroom Soup
Copycat Lipton Onion Soup Mix Recipe
This homemade dry onion soup mix recipe is so easy to make and taste just like Lipton Onion Soup Mix.Made with basic pantry staple spices, its perfect for making classic onion dip and seasoning many other recipes.
Who doesnt love Lipton Onion Soup Mix? Especially, during the holidays. Its in every bowl of gravy, casserole, and the best dish of all classic french onion dip. That stuff is like crack. However, this tiny packet of seasoning is also loaded with fillers, preservatives, and tons of sodium. So, no Bueno.
But, you can make your own homemade dry onion soup mix thats much healthier. Its perfect for adding flavor to veggie burgers, roasted red potatoes, and making that coveted onion dip that everyone loves. This is not just one more copycat recipe its better! Dont let your pantry be caught without it. Ready? Lets make it!
Best Tips For Making Homemade Dry Onion Soup Mix
Even though this is one of the easiest recipes to make, I wanted to give you a few more tips when making homemade dry onion soup mix:
- Stock up on all your ingredients when they go on sale.
- Buying my spices in bulk from Costco is my absolute favorite. I save so much doing it this way.
- To make this vegetarian or vegan, use vegetable bouillon instead of beef bouillon.
- 3-4 tbsp is equivalent to an envelope of Lipton soup mix.
- Double or triple the recipe for an even larger batch. I recommend it.
You May Like: Onion Soup Mix Dip Recipe
Other Spices And Seasonings Recipes
Ive really gotten into making my own homemade seasonings lately. I find that its so much cheaper in the long run than buying these tiny little containers of mixed spices. Youre making a larger quantity that will take you longer to use up.
Plus I like the fact that I know exactly whats going in my seasoning, there are no hidden ingredients that you need to question.
Here are some good homemade seasonings Ive been making:
- Italian Seasoning
Lipton Onion Soup Mix Potatoes Recipe And Steps To Make It
Have you ever tried to make Lipton onion soup mix potatoes? If you have not, then you might find this roasted potatoes recipe worth trying. Lets admit that potato is one of the most favorite foods in the world. Many love this stem tuber for its adaptability and versatility for almost all types of potato-based dishes. Potatoes can be fried, boiled, steamed, microwaved, or even oven-roasted.
Suppose you have tried a couple different potato recipes but have not been able to find a potato recipe that you can cook regularly. In that case, this Lipton onion soup mix potatoes recipe is your best option. These are potatoes roasted in an oven that were previously mixed with Lipton onion soup mix. Without further ado, lets check out the following simple and quick meal recipe.
- 1 envelope of Lipton Onion Soup Mix
- 2 pounds of red potatoes , cut into evenly large chunks
- 1/3 cup of olive oil
If you unable to find Lipton onion soup mix at the nearby grocery store, you could make one on your own with the following simple recipe.
- ¼ cup of dried onion flakes
- 2 tbsp of bullion paste, granules, or cubes
- ¼ tsp of onion powder
- ¼ tsp of dried parsley flakes
- 1/8 tsp of paprika
Read Also: How To Make Delicious Soup
Gluten Free Dry Onion Soup Mix
The links on this website may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclaimer for more information.
Using packet mixes like Lipton Dry Onion Soup in recipes can be taken for granted by those without dietary restrictions. Unfortunately, many premade mixes contain gluten and are unsafe. Thankfully, making your own safe versions at home is easy and affordable. This recipe is the perfect substitute for the premade dry onion soup.
Lipton Onion Soup Meatloaf
This sweet and savory meatloaf is a classic recipe that never disappoints.
As you might have guessed the secret ingredient is one packet of Lipton Onion Soup mix. But dont let this simple recipe fool you. Its a family favorite in our house.
Want to save this recipe? Enter your email below and we’ll send the recipe straight to your inbox!
Plus, it makes plenty of leftovers for meatloaf sandwiches, meatloaf chili, or meatloaf spaghetti. Or simply pair it up with few new side dishes. Mashed potatoes, mac & cheese, and sweet potato fries are a few favorites around our house.
Also Check: Easy Soup Recipes With Few Ingredients
How To Make Soup
One of the most common questions is how to make soup from dry onion soup mix. The process couldnt be simpler! If you want to make soup, add 4 cups boiling water or low sodium beef broth and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
Add caramelized onions, frozen veggies or even thinly sliced beef or chicken to make a whole meal.
How To Make Your Own Dry Onion Soup Mix
I like to store my mix in a pint-size regular mouth mason jar . You can get screw-on reusable lids where you buy your jars, or you can simply use the flat lid and ring that comes with it. If you really want to go fancy, you can find flip-top lids specifically made to turn your jars into spice containers!
Recommended Reading: Amy’s Reduced Sodium Soups
How To Use Dry Onion Soup Mix
This simple and delicious seasoning can be used to add flavor tons of recipes. Apart from the most obvious, here are a few more ways to enhance your favorite recipes.
- Add 1 tablespoon to this Instant Pot Brown Rice
- Mix with this oil-free salad dressing to make a delicious marinade for veggies and tofu
- Add it to some hot veggie broth for a simple and healthy French Onion Soup
Whats In Onion Soup Mix
The base for dry onion soup, sometimes called French Onion Soup Mix, is fairly basic. A blend of:
- Dry onion flakes
- Black pepper
- Fine sea salt
I prefer mine to be extra onion-y , so I use more onion flakes than the store bought version and also add black pepper. Look for a very finely ground black pepper to make the smoothest mix.
You can even go a step further and use garlic flakes instead of onion or use both!
Don’t Miss: Chicken Pot Pie Soup Recipe
Storing Your Beefy Onion Soup Mix
Because all of the ingredients are in dry format, this mix will keep for quite some time if you are careful to store it in a cool, dry place.
If you live in an area where humidity is high, youll want to keep this in an airtight container to extend the shelf life.
Typical shelf life should be 6-12 months, depending on the storage environment.