An Adaptable Useful Recipe
This button mushroom soup recipe is extremely simple, with just 8 ingredients . The flavor all comes from frying the mushrooms until theyre caramelized and their mushroom juices seep out! Then you add water to make a quick broth, as well as soy sauce for salt and umami.
I like to serve it as a light appetizer before a meal, but it also has other uses. Here are some ideas:
- Add a beaten egg to give the soup more protein and perhaps make it a light meal in and of itself.
- If you dont have fresh scallions and cilantro on hand, you can use frozen herbs .
- Skip the herbs and the cornstarch for thickening to make this into a simple stock base for noodle soup, wonton soup, or as a vegetarian stock base for recipes like hot and sour soup.
- Use the stock as an added ingredient in any vegetarian recipe that calls for broth or stock.
Classic Low Carb Vegetable Soup Is Versatile To Suit Your Taste Perfect Keto Recipe Or A Low Carb Diet
Whether you follow Weight Watchers, a Keto diet or a low carb diet, homemade vegetable soup is the perfect food to have in your refrigerator when youre looking to enjoy a quick meal or snack.
Loaded with vibrant vegetables and a beef or chicken broth base, our Vegetable Soup soothes the soul. Make it low or high in fat depending on your dietary needs.
The Best Mushrooms For This Soup
Our recipe calls for a couple pounds of cremini or button mushrooms. Either will do, though I think cremini are a little tastier.
We also recommend adding a handful of fresh shiitake mushrooms to the soup. Even though they are more expensive than regular mushrooms, their flavor is much more intense and deepens the rich flavor of this soup.
Recommended Reading: Slow Cooker Roast With Onion Soup Mix
How To Make Cream Of Mushroom Soup
This is a fairly straight-forward simple recipe to make!
What Is Hungarian Mushroom Soup
Meaty, earthy mushrooms are lifted up by the herbaceous lightness of dill and the subtle tang of sour cream, while a generous sprinkling of paprika turns the whole fragrant pot a blushing shade of pink. Hungarian mushroom soup is a cool-weather staple in our homes, and we hope itll become one in yours, too.
Read Also: What Canned Soups Are Keto Friendly
Ukrainian Cream Of Mushroom Soup
Read more: how to make easy corn chowder soup
This gravy comes out very creamy and wealthy, therefore the phrase Cream of Mushroom Soup. I can guarantee you its tasty sufficient for a soup alone, nonetheless, our household sometimes eats it as gravy or as an alternative to a can of cream of mushroom soup because its a creamy mushroom gravy.
This cream of mushroom gravy freezes very properly which makes this recipe very helpful for a cream-of-mushroom substitute. Merely freeze cooled leftovers in 15 oz parts utilizing freezer baggage.
Enjoyable Reality: Conventional Ukrainian Cream of mushroom soup is one sometimes created from chanterelles known as Yushka.
Is Mushroom A Vegetable
Although mushrooms are classified as vegetables, technically they are not plants but part of the kingdom called fungi. However, they share some characteristics with plants and, as you will find out, even with animals! Mushrooms are low in calories, have virtually no fat and no cholesterol, and are very low in sodium.
Recommended Reading: Mrs Grass Meatloaf Recipe
Can I Freeze Mushroom Soup
Yes, mushroom soup can be frozen, but preferably without the dairy added. Add the sourcream when reheating the soup.
If you would like a silky smooth mushroom soup, feel free to blend this up with an immersion blender.
Truffle oil is a nice addition, but totally optional.
Set aside some of the cooked mushrooms to use as a garnish.
To make the crispy garlic chips- slice garlic lengthwise, then pan-sear until golden- a crunchy flavorful topping. My husbands favorite!
Let us know how you like this Creamy Mushroom Soup in the comments below, noting any of your adaptations! See recipe notes for vegan options!
Hungarian Mushroom Soup For Every Occasion
Because its dreary outside, and you need a boost: Hungarian mushroom soup. Because youre craving something soul-warming and simple: Hungarian mushroom soup. Because you need dinner to be easy tonight: Hungarian mushroom soup. Because you need the meditative, familiar magic of some easy-going chopping and stirring: Hungarian mushroom soup.
Paprika-tinged and soothing, theres something uniquely cozy about this creamy mushroom soup. Theres a wholesomeness to a bowl of soup on a cold, rainyor snowynight. It warms you to cook it, it warms you to eat it, it warms the people you share it with. Bite by bite, the troubles of the day grow more distant. Meaty, earthy mushrooms are lifted up by the herbaceous lightness of dill and the subtle tang of sour cream, while a generous sprinkling of paprika turns the whole fragrant pot a blushing shade of pink. Hungarian mushroom soup is a cool-weather staple in our homes, and we hope itll become one in yours, too.
Recommended Reading: Potato Soup Recipes Using Frozen Hash Browns
Chef John’s Creamy Mushroom Soup
- 2 pounds sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 pinch salt
- 1½ tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves for garnish, or to taste
- Step 1
Melt butter in a large soup pot over medium-high heat cook mushrooms in butter with 1 pinch salt until the mushrooms give off their juices reduce heat to low. Continue to cook, stirring often, until juices evaporate and the mushrooms are golden brown, about 15 minutes. Set aside a few attractive mushroom slices for garnish later, if desired. Mix onion into mushrooms and cook until onion is soft and translucent, about 5 more minutes.
- Step 2
Stir flour into mushroom mixture and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes to remove raw flour taste. Tie thyme sprigs into a small bundle with kitchen twine and add to mushroom mixture add garlic cloves. Pour chicken stock and water into mushroom mixture. Bring to a simmer and cook for 1 hour. Remove thyme bundle.
- Step 3
Transfer soup to a blender in small batches and puree on high speed until smooth and thick.
- Step 4
Return soup to pot and stir in cream. Season with salt and black pepper and serve in bowls, garnished with reserved mushroom slices and a few thyme leaves.
If mixture seems too thick, thin it out with more chicken broth or water.
How To Make Homemade Condensed Cream Of Mushroom Soup:
You will love how easy this is, and youll become an instant convert once you taste it.These photos walk you through the basics without giving you specific ingredient amounts, which are all listed below in the recipe card.
Also Check: Campbells Chicken Cheese Casserole
Mushroom Soup Other Ingredients
One really nice thing about this Mushroom Soup recipe is how few ingredients are actually called for. Why gild the lily with extra unnecessary flavourings when we already have a soup full of beautiful mushroom flavour!
Vegetable stock Store-bought stock works fine here, but I really recommend trying this with Homemade Vegetable Stock one of these days! Vegetable stock is much easier and less messy to make than meat-based stocks like beef stock and chicken stock, calling for just basic vegetables and flavourings
Cream, or creme fraiche This adds a luxuriously velvety mouthfeel to the soup so I really recommend not skipping it. If you dont have either, stir in a knob of butter at the end.
Cream or creme fraiche? Cream is the obvious option, but Ive also suggested creme fraiche for something a bit different.
What exactly is creme fraiche, anyway? Creme fraiche is a lightly soured cream, and unsurprisingly tastes like a cross between sour cream and heavy/thickened cream. It has the same velvety richness of cream with a slight tanginess . Its also thicker like sour cream and can be dolloped rather than poured. It lends a lovely faintly sharpened note to the soup.
Which is better? Id go cream for every day purposes, and reserve creme fraiche for company . But its no lesser a soup with just plain cream, I assure you!
Onion and garlic Essential flavour base and
Butter For sautéing.
How To Make The Best Hungarian Mushroom Soup:
You May Like: Campbell’s French Onion Soup Chicken And Rice
How Do You Make Homemade Vegetable Soup
You can follow our recipe or clean out your fridge and use whatever vegetables you have on hand.
We load our soup with cabbage, celery, green beans, zucchini, cauliflower and spinach. Carrots are optional, especially if youre strict Keto. The greener your soup, the lower in carbs it will be. You can even make your own Bone Broth.
Substitute some of our veggies with broccoli florets, green peppers, peas, eggplant, asparagus, kale, brussels sprouts or mushrooms.
Dont care about carbs? Feel free to add in corn, potatoes or butternut squash.
Substitutions And Suggestions For Cream Of Mushroom Soup
We’ve gotten a lot of great suggestions from readers over the years who have made this soup and made their own variations. Here are a few:
- Add or substitute some wild mushrooms
- Add shredded chicken for extra protein
- For a richer soup, swap the chicken stock for beef stock
- For a lighter soup , swap the chicken stock for vegetable stock
- For a dairy-free version, swap the cream with coconut milk
- For another dairy-free version, add some rice during cooking, then blend
- If the soup tastes a little bland to you, add a splash of rice vinegar or cider vinegar
- If you don’t have tarragon, try thyme, oregano, or rosemary
Recommended Reading: Hale And Hearty Simmers
How To Make Garlic Mushrooms
For my recipe, you only need a handful of ingredients:
- Unsalted butter use unsalted to control the amount of salt added.
- Olive oil just a little oil added to the butter gets them nice and crispy on the outer edges and prevents the butter from burning.
- Garlic please use fresh where you can.
- Herbs we love parsley and thyme, but you can use oregano, rosemary, basil, etc.
- Salt and pepper.
Onion green, red, yellow or white! This is an optional ingredient BUT I find it enhances the garlic flavour.Dry white wine also optional. If youve never added wine to your garlic mushrooms, you wont regret trying it.
Thats it! The two additional ingredients of white wine and onion is what makes this recipes stand out from regular garlic mushrooms in a good and tasty way!
What Goes In Mushroom Soup
So, we had a little debate in the office with smooth vs. chunky mushroom soup and, in the end, landed somewhere right in the middle. Though a lot of the team voted on a chunky soup, in testing the bigger chunks that were less consistent throughout, it was sort ofupsetting? Is that an okay word to use? . But the blended, totally smooth also left us wanting just a little more.
So we compromised with a super-thin slice on everything. After it all cooks and softens, youre left with these little slivery buttery bits of mushroom and garlic throughout to bring a nice bit of even texture to the whole thing but nothing overly slippy, chewy oryou know, upsetting.
We also found that an old halfsies take on the mushroom choice was just right. All button wasnt quite enough richness of flavor, full baby bella felt like a traipse along the forest floor. Though were not necessarily opposed to that, and you could certainly go that route if you stan earthy flavors, we loved it right in the middle. Rich, savory, complex goodness.
- garlic and shallot
- white wine
- heavy cream
And seriously, when tasting and testing this soup, we all thought there must be a million ingredients in this soup with how deep and rich it tastes. But there are not!
So, what were saying is: all hail the mighty mushroom, okay?
Also Check: Lipton Onion Soup Mix Rice
How Do You Thicken Canned Cream Of Mushroom Soup
Add this corn starch and 1 tablespoon of cold water for one tbsp then add one tablespoons of cream before mixing them together. The soup will be more thin if you dislike it from the start. The sauce will thicken as it is stirred. As the cream thickens a little, it will take a few minutes. Keeping this step in mind, repeat if you are still not thick enough.
Vegan Mushroom Soup Recipe
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 lbs. sliced mushrooms
- 1½ cups unsweetened cashew milk
- salt & pepper to taste
Tip: If your mushroom soup seems a bit too thin, you can thicken it up. Find out more here: How to Thicken Stew: Easy Tips and Tricks
Mushroom soup will keep for up to 5 days in the fridge, provided its stored in an airtight container. You can also portion it out and freeze your soup for up to 2 months.
Also Check: Shark Tank Soup
How To Make Chinese Style Clear Mushroom Soup
1. First prep up all the ingredients. Rinse, wipe and slice or chop 200 grams white button mushrooms. Slice 2 small spring onions/scallions . Also finely chop 2 to 3 small to medium garlic cloves, ½ inch ginger and 1 small celery stem.
2. Heat ½ tablespoon sesame oil in a pan. Then add the chopped garlic and ginger.
3. Saute for a few seconds.
4. Then add the sliced spring onion whites. Reserve the spring onion greens to be added later.
5. Saute for a minute.
6. Now add the sliced mushrooms and chopped celery.
7. Stir and saute for two minutes on a medium flame.
8. then add 3 cups water.
9. Stir very well. Simmer the soup for 4 to 5 minutes on a low flame without a lid.
9. add 1 teaspoon gluten free naturally fermented soy sauce or regular soy sauce. You can add less or more soy sauce as per taste. keep a check on salt as soy sauce already has some salt in it.
11. Then add ½ teaspoon crushed black pepper or pepper powder.
12. Next season with salt as required.
13. Cover with a lid and simmer mushroom soup on a low to medium flame for about 15 minutes or till the mushrooms are cooked.
14. Do check once or twice when the soup is simmering.
15. When done, switch off the flame. Check the taste and add more soy sauce, black pepper or salt if required. In case the mushroom soup becomes salty, then add some hot water or veg stock to the soup.
16. Lastly add 5 tablespoons chopped spring onion greens. You can also add a bit of rice vinegar, if you want.
How Do You Make Mushroom Soup
Creamy mushroom soup from scratch has a depth of flavour so different from canned soups , thanks to fresh herbs and ingredients.
Just a handful of ingredients needed to make your own version:
- Mushrooms: Fresh brown or cremini mushrooms are perfect for this recipe. You could also use mini portobello mushrooms, or a combination of your favourite mushroom varieties.
- Herbs: The best herbs we have found over the years to compliment those incredible flavours is a combination of thyme and parsley. Of course, if you dont like those, you can also use rosemary, oregano, tarragon, chives or cilantro. Use what you love!
- Cream: Half and half, heavy cream, light cream or thickened cream all yield similar results, however heavy cream adds richness.
- Flour: We need flour to create that delicious, creamy texture mushroom soup is loved for. You can leave it out and use cornstarch if you wish. I recommend 2-3 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup water . If unsure about quantities for your liking, add the cornstarch slurry in tablespoon increments, stirring in between, until youve achieved your ideal texture.
Recommended Reading: Lipton Soup Potatoes