How To Make Vegetable Beef Soup:
A nice lean, two-pound chuck roast adds a healthy amount of beef to our soup. We found this roast in the meat sale bin with a nicely discounted price tag.
Here is a money-saving tip, check out the sale bin and you will be surprised at the treasures you will find. These price-reduced cuts of beef may not look as pretty as those freshly cut, higher priced packages of meat but there is nothing wrong or unsafe with them.
They just got passed by so they get a price adjustment for a fast sale. That also means they have aged a little longer and taste fantastic. It is a win-win for you.
Vegetable Choices For Vegetable Beef Soup:
We are using onions, garlic, carrots, celery, potatoes, green beans and tomatoes. These are the basics for a vegetable beef soup, however, there is a wide variety of choices including:
- Canned cannellini or kidney beans
- Corn kernels
Add in whatever you have on hand in your pantry and fridge or experiment with something new.
To make this pot of vegetable beef soup we began by searing the chuck roast in our heavy-bottomed Dutch oven. You need a hot heat to get that rich, brown crust that will deliver amazing flavor to the soup broth. After it was browned we set it aside on the cutting board to cool then cut it into bite-sized pieces.
While the beef was cooling we sautéed the veggies in the drippings remaining in the soup pot then added beef broth, tomato juice and fresh herbs. Next the beef chunks were added back into the soup pot and a packet of dry onion soup mix was stirred in.
Vegetarian French Onion Soup
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Ive been LOVING soup this winter and this Vegetarian French Onion Soup has really been hitting the spot lately! Its relatively easy to make and so ridiculously comforting. You can make it with or without the cheese so leave it off if youre wanting a vegan version of this delicious soup!
A few months ago I found myself HARD CORE craving French Onion Soup. Naturally, I ended up creating my own Vegetarian version of this classic soup and figured that I would share it on my blog! While it takes a bit of time to caramelize the onions, its simple to make and PERFECT for cold winter dinners!
Truthfully- this was a recipe that took little effort to make vegetarian. Its really just a matter of replacing the beef broth and finding small ways to really substitute that flavor and classic color.
I never used to make french onion soup at home until the past few years and its just SO COMFORTING! Like chicken noodle soup as a kid level of comfort and I am HERE FOR IT.
As written, this soup serves 4 but those are larger portions. If desired, you could easily make this into a 6 servings soup and serving it as an appetizer or side dish with a meal.
Read Also: Get Well Soup Gift Baskets
What Can I Use If I Dont Have Onion Powder
Onion powder is a seasoning used to enhance flavor in dishes. It is usually added to soups, stews, sauces, gravies, casseroles, and other savory dishes. Onion powder is available in different flavors such as garlic, sweet, hot, and smoked. To make onion powder, onions are roasted and ground into a fine powder. Roasting enhances the natural sugars in the onions and gives it a sweeter taste. Onion powder is a great addition to any dish because it adds a rich flavor and aroma.
What Are The Ingredients In Liptons Onion Soup Mix
The ingredients in Liptons onion soup mix include onions, salt, cornstarch, onion powder and salt. Some of the other main ingredients are autolyzed yeast extract, caramel color, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, monosodium glutmate and corn syrup. The mix also contains disodium inosinate, disodium guanylate and sulfur dioxide.
Lipton also carries beefy onion, onion mushroom and golden onion soup mixes, all of which have varying ingredients. For instance, beefy onion soup mix has wheat flour while onion and mushroom soup contains mushrooms.
Lipton onion soup mix can be used to make a variety of dishes ranging from soups and dips and can also serve as a primary ingredient in beef pot roast. To make beef pot roast, combine a pot roast and 2 envelopes of Lipton onion soup mix in a slow cooker. Top with baby carrots, new potatoes and 2 cups of water, and cook at low heat for up to 10 hours.
To make rather than purchase onion soup mix, combine 3 tablespoons of dried minced onion, 1 teaspoon of onion powder, 1/8 teaspoon of celery seeds, 1/4 teaspoon of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of celery flakes in a container. Add 4 teaspoons of beef bouillon granules, and season with freshly ground black pepper. Use the mix in place of 1 envelope of Liptons onion soup mix.
Also Check: Andersons Split Pea Soup Recipe
You May Like: Campbell’s Well Yes Sipping Soup
Storing + What To Dip
Chill for at least an hour to allow flavors to combine before serving. Dip can be STORED in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. Do not freeze.
Looking for some items to dip in the French Onion Dip? Traditionally plain potato chips are the chip of choice to use with this dip, but you can dip all sorts of things, including:
- Other chips
- Crackers: Ritz, Triscuits, Wheat Thins, Pretzels and more
- Veggies: carrots, celery, snap peas etc
- Breads: chunks of crusty bread, mini-toasts, crostini, breadsticks
- Spread on burgers or grilled chicken
- Put a dollop on your baked potato or on your soup
You can also use the dip as a spread.
For more Sweet and Savory Dips, try:
Also Check: Lipton Onion Potatoes
Tools Youmight Use For Making This Meatloaf Recipe:
Cast Iron Pan If you dont have one of these, make the investment. Its one of the best things I have in my kitchen. Onion soup meatloaf is the bomb.com and youll need a cast iron pan to make this dish a reality.
Meatloaf Pan This is the day you have every single type of pan youll need in the kitchen. You can make all sorts of recipes with loaf pans.
You can free form your meatloaf on rimmed baking sheets or use a special meatloaf pan to easily form it and pull it back out, leaving all of the oils in the bottom.
Measuring Cups You are going to need a good set of measuring cups to help you get through this recipe.
Rimmed Baking Sheet another kitchen staple! Youll use this for prep work, roasting and much more. I have 7 at my house.
If you go free form, make sure to use a rimmed baking sheet to catch all the grease and save yourself from a big mess in the oven.
Recommended Reading: Green Beans And Cream Of Mushroom Soup Recipe
You May Like: How To Make Soup From Scratch
Lipton Onion Soup Mix
Not only is my homemade version of Lipton onion soup mix lower in sodium, but its also free of added preservatives and caramel color.
In fact, I have dozens of copycat recipes to choose from! Whether its seasonings and sauces or homemade versions of your favorite restaurant meals, theres something for everyone.
Once you get in the habit of making your own spice blends at home, youll never go back to store bought again. It only takes a minute or two, the flavors are so much more intense, and you will save some money in the process as well!
Tips & Tricks For Making The Best Meatloaf
- Want to make meatloaf sandwiches? Just place a slice of leftover meatloaf in between your choice of bread. Top it with mayo, onions, pickles, and all your favorite toppings. Delicious.
- Apart from onion soup mix, you could also try other soup mixes to flavor the beef. Onion and mushroom soup mix, herb with garlic soup mix, and beefy onion soup mix all make fantastic alternatives!
- Want to try this in a slow cooker? Go ahead! Cover the meatloaf in a piece of cheesecloth, place it on a rack, then into the slow cooker it goes. This technique will hold the meatloaf together as you take it in and out of the slow cooker. Cook the meatloaf on high for 4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.
- Want to cut back on calories? Use ground turkey instead of beef, egg beater in place of the eggs, and homemade whole wheat breadcrumbs instead of white breadcrumbs.
- Add some chopped parsley to the recipe to give your meatloaf more flavor and color.
- Give your meatloaf some extra flavor by seasoning it with Italian spices and Parmesan cheese. Yum!
- Instead of ketchup, you can also use your favorite spaghetti sauce instead. Top the meatloaf with additional spaghetti sauce as it bakes for an incredibly moist, irresistible loaf.
- Cheddar cheese can take your meatloaf to a whole new level. Add it to your beef mixture and taste the difference.
- Want to cut back on the grease? Place a few pieces of bread underneath the meatloaf and it will soak up the grease as it bakes.
Read Also: How To Make Soup Dumplings
Make Sure To Pin French Onion Meatloaf
To my surprise, I actually liked it and when I thought about it, didnt really have a solid reason why I didnt like it. I started on a meatloaf loving-spree to make the best of different varieties.
French Onion Meatloaf uses onion soup mix along with caramelized onions for a double whammy of flavors and texture. Use a store bought onion soup mix or make your own
While I love the traditional toppings of ketchup and brown sugar caramelized over a meat mixture, wait until you get ahold of onion gravy part of this recipe. It truly helps to bring this dish to life.
I would also say that this is a family friendly meal. When we eat it around our table, no one leaves a drop behind. In fact, I usually double the recipe, so there are leftovers!
French onion meatloaf also freezes well, so if you do decide to make a double batch, stick one in an airtight container and save it for another night. Freeze onion gravy separately and check out my tips and tricks for freezing all your foods!
Recipe Tips And Variations:
- Fresh spinach: To substitute fresh spinach for the frozen spinach, use a pound of fresh spinach leaves for every 10-ounce package of frozen that you need. Cook according to the package directions and squeeze dry in a clean kitchen towel.
- Make ahead: For the best flavors, let the dip chill at least 2 hours. Or, make it a day ahead and keep it in the refrigerator overnight.
- Artichokes. Artichoke spinach dip is hard to beat. Add one can of artichoke hearts, drained and chopped, to the recipe.
- Baby shrimp. 1 to 2 cups of baby shrimp, cooked and shelled, make an already great dip even better.
- Parmesan cheese. Freshly grated, or the stuff in the green can a little cheese gives an umami flavor.
- Greek yogurt. A good, thick Greek yogurt lightens things up if youre looking for a healthy spinach dip.
- Serve in a bread bowl. Usually people serve this famous spinach dip by spooning it into a scooped-out loaf of bread. Slice off the top of a round, rustic loaf of bread and hollow it out. Also, hold onto the lid and the inner bread chunks.
Read Also: Low Sodium Broccoli Cheese Soup
French Onion Soup Flavoured Rissoles
Rissoles are basically the Australian version of burger patties.
These babies are seasoned with French onion soup mix and grated cheddar cheese, so expect nothing short of burger perfection.
Serve this dish a la burger with buns. Or go for something low carb and ditch the bread altogether.
Theyre so good you could eat them on their own and be more than happy.
Recommended Reading: How To Make Chicken Tortilla Soup
This Family Favorite Homemade Beef Burger Recipe Is Made With 3 Simple Ingredients
Among the many reasons why I love this French onion soup burger recipe so much is the fact that its incredibly easy to make. Theyre made with 3 simple ingredients & you can throw em together in less than 25 minutes.
Note: full ingredients list & measurements provided in the Recipe Card, below.
- Ground beef 85% lean is my go-to for burgers. Rather than grabbing the pre-packaged stuff off the shelf, buy burger meat straight from the butcher section of the grocery store to ensure its as fresh as possible.
- Onion soup seasoning The star ingredient in this French onion burger recipe! Its a little retro, but its so good & so easy. You can find onion soup mix in the soup aisle in most conventional grocery stores.
- Worcestershire sauce My favorite little secret weapon for adding TONS of umami to burgers whether theyre made from beef, poultry, or veggies. A little goes a long way!
Thats it! Mix it all up, form into patties, & toss em on the grill. This French onion soup burger recipe takes less than 25 minutes to do, start-to-finish, & couldnt be easier.
You May Like: Rachael Ray Soup Bones Minis
Onion Baked Pork Chops Recipe
Grab your FREE copy of one of our most popular and engaging activity packets!just CLICK HERE
When you prepare pork chops, its all about the flavor. A great oniony flavor will take your pork chops over the top, especially when its incorporated into a crispy breading.
Find out more about how you can make pork chops your entire family will love.
Read Also: Lipton Beefy Onion Soup Mix Recipes
Ingredients For Copycat Lipton Onion Soup Mix
Most Lipton onion soup mix recipes are not vegan because they use beef bouillon. But, not this one. All you have to do is whip up a batch of my Vegetable Bouillon Powder and youre good to go. And, dont leave it out. Its the most important element of this recipe.
And, dont sub the vegetable bouillon with a store-bought brand. They usually contain oil, fillers, and are high in sodium. Once you have the bouillon made you only need a few more ingredients. Heres what you need.
- Dried Onion Flakes
- Celery Seed
- Black Pepper
Salt is optional because its already in the vegetable bouillon. So, I would make the dry onion soup mix and then season with salt as needed.
Read Also: What Are The Healthiest Canned Soups
Lipton Dry Vegetable Soup Mix Recipes
Classic Spinach Dip in Bread Bowl. Ingredients. 1 package frozen chopped spinach, thawed. 2 cups sour cream. 1 cup mayonnaise 1 package Knorr dry Vegetable Soup Mix. 1 can water chestnuts, drained and chopped. 3 green onion, or a handful of chives, sliced thinly. 1 large round sourdough bread loaf.
Lipton Recipe Secrets Soup And Dip Mix Onion Soups Chili At H E B. Lipton Recipe Secrets Onion Soup Dip Mix 2 Oz King Soopers. Beefy Onion Soup And Dip Recipe Secrets Lipton. Pack Of 4 Lipton Onion Soup Mix 30 Oz. Lipton Onion Soup Mix Do You Know The Of This Convienent Food.
In a dutch oven or soup pot, heat up a tablespoon of olive oil at medium heat and brown your beef. Drain excess fat and set aside. Add a bit more olive oil to the pot and stir in garlic, onions, celery and carrots. Cook until tender. Add in tomato sauce, canned tomatoes and beef. Stir to combine.
Knorr Vegetable Recipe Mix in 1.4oz sachet. This is a true vegetable soup with no meat stock just onions, cabbage, garlic, carrots, tomatoes, celery, leek, cauliflower, potatoes and peas. Beef or chicken stock can be added for a different flavo See more product details
Knorr. Knorr Professional Ultimate Demi-Glace Sauce Mix Gluten Free, No Artificial Flavors or Preservatives, No added MSG, Dairy Free, 26 oz, Pack of 4. KNORR Red Thai Curry Chicken With Rice Soup Mix 583 g | KNORR Rouge thaÃ¯landaise Curry de poulet avec du riz MÃ©lange Ã soupe 583 g.
Set Up Your Flavor Profile
Weve got everything you need to up your kitchen game plus, special offers and discounts just for you!
Are you out of McCormick ?
Set up your Flavor Profile or to:
- Add this spice to My Spices
- Create a more personalized experience
- Manage your spices in Flavor Profile
Sign up to save your favorite flavors.
DONT HAVE AN ACCOUNT?
Already have an account?
Already have an account?
Because we are constantly improving our products, we encourage you to read the ingredient statement on our packages at the time of your purchase.
Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries and regions. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc. Google Play and the Google Play logo are trademarks of Google LLC.
Dont Miss: Roasted Corn And Poblano Soup
Recommended Reading: 8 Oz Disposable Soup Bowls
How To Make Pot Roast:
Sear meat: Heat a large large skillet over medium-high heat. Season roast with salt and pepper, generously, on all sides. Add oil to the pot and once hot, add the meat, Sear, cooking the meat until browned on the bottom, then rotating it every few minutes until browned on all sides. Place meat in the bottom of a lightly greased slow cooker .
Add sauce: Stir together the cream of soup mixture and dry onion soup seasoning in a bowl. Pour mixture over the meat in the slow cooker.
Cook covered on LOW for 8-10 hours. If adding veggies, add them 1.5 2 hours before the timer is up.