A Mexican Side Dish Works Best In This Case
Mexican cuisine offers many mouth-watering dishes that are cooked with love from indigenous people.
Each recipe contains various spices that make Mexican dishes always look colorful and taste flavorful.
Therefore, when looking for a side dish for chicken tortilla soup, it is best to pair this Mexican soup with another Mexican-inspired side dish.
The flavors from these dishes will blend well together and make your meal even more special.
Tips For The Best Chicken Tortilla Soup
To save time, use store-bought rotisserie chicken or leftover chicken that you have on hand. Of course you can roast or pan sauté chicken if youre so inclined.
Make sure to salt your soup to taste. I use low-sodium chicken broth and no-salt-added tomatoes and add a bit of salt to my soup so I can control the overall salt level.
The saltiness of low-sodium broth, rotisserie chickens, canned tomatoes, black beans, and personal preferences for salt all vary so salt to taste.
Tools For This Recipe
– Check out all of my kitchen essentials here.
- 4-Quart Dutch Oven this is the perfect size for this soup. This one is high quality and youll have it forever.
- Pinch Bowls for measuring out ingredients ahead of time.
- Box Cheese Grater Shredding from a block tastes and melts much better than packaged cheese.
- Garlic Twister its much more flavorful to mince fresh garlic. This twister does it in seconds and is easy to clean and store.
Don’t Miss: Campbell Soup Chicken And Rice Casserole
What Is In Costco Chicken Tortilla Soup
INGREDIENTS: chicken stock, diced tomatoes in juice, cooked chicken meat, cooked white chicken meat, onions, corn, carrots, roasted poblano peppers, roasted red bell peppers, roasted green chiles, tortillas , contains 2% or less of: tomato paste, water, cultured dextrose, sea salt, modified food
How To Cook And Shred Chicken
Ok, before I get 100 emails about how we cook the chicken for this soup, let me explain now. I just put a little olive oil on the chicken and some salt and paper and bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes at 375 degrees F. Then I shred it and add it to the soup.
You could also just grab a rotisserie chicken and use that too. Did you know you can buy rotisserie chicken at Costco that has already been cleaned off the bones? Game changer right there!
You May Like: Campbells Broccoli Rice Casserole
What To Serve With Chicken Tortilla Soup
Chicken Tortilla Soup is a classic staple of Mexican Cuisine. Its packed with slow-roasted chicken breast, cilantro, beans, corn, and of course, crunchy tortilla strips.
Like many other dishes, chicken tortilla soup uses tomatoes as a base and onion, garlic, and chiles.
Though its exact origin isnt known, Mexico City has made it so popular that people claim its origin. While the soup by itself will satiate, these 17 side dishes will complete the meal.
How To Make Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup From Scratch
Heat the oil in a dutch oven pot and saute the onion and bell pepper for 3-4 minutes. Add in the garlic and seasonings and cook for 30 seconds, stirring frequently.
Add the corn, salsa, jalapeño, beans, chicken, and broth. Bring the soup to a boil, reduce the heat to a low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
Remove the chicken from the pot and shred it. Return back the shredded chicken and stir in with the cheeses.
Top with additional garnishes and enjoy!
Don’t Miss: Campbell’s Chicken Rice And Broccoli Casserole
How To Make The Best Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
The Best Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe Ever
It would seem that everyone has their own version of chicken tortilla soup. Some are thick like gravy. Some thin and watery.
I prefer a thin, but not watery, broth-based chicken tortilla soup with lots of veggies and toppings.
Todays Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe is exactly how I like it. Rich, zesty, and ultra comforting, with a slightly spicy finish.
Don’t Miss: Onion Roasted Potatoes Lipton Recipe Secrets
Can I Take Out The Cilantro
Yes and no. Yes, you can take out any ingredient, but NO it will not taste the same. I will say, I have served this easy chicken tortilla soup recipe to several cilantro haters, and they loved it.
They say the illusive soapy taste is removed through the cooking process. Just be sure to leave the fresh cilantro off at the end.
What To Serve With Tortilla Soup
Heres where it gets fun! Tortilla soup is so versatile that nearly anything can be served with it!
For soup toppings, try some sliced black olives, green chiles, shredded cheddar or crumbled cotija cheese, or cubes of avocados. This is definitely a recipe that will find its way to your table year round!
Recommended Reading: Oven Roasted Potatoes With Onion Soup Mix
How To Crisp Tortillas For Tortilla Soup Mexican Recipe
- Cut the tortilla edges so you can get a square and cut the tortillas in strips.
- Spread some cooking oil on the tortillas, mix and add a little more and then place them in the Air Fryer and let them fry for 5 minutes at 400 Fahrenheit mixing every 2 minutes or until they are crispy. If you want to fry them the traditional way set a bed of oil in a pot and let it boil, turn the heat down and add a badge of tortillas. When you see they are crispy place them on a few pieces of kitchen napkins so they can absorb the oil. It takes about 2 minutes for every badge of tortillas to crisp.
- Cut the branch of the chile pasilla . With some kitchen, scissors cut thin slices of the pasilla and then spread some oil on it at let it cook on a griddle for about 10 seconds continuously flipping them over. As soon as they start to smell they are ready. Take them out of the griddle or they cant take a bitter flavor if they pass the heat.
- Now place some crispy tortillas in a bowl and add the soup on top. You can also add some shredded chicken. Add on top small pieces of queso fresco, avocado, chile pasilla and Mexican crema or sour cream.
How To Make Chicken Tortilla Soup:
Make-Ahead Tip: the broth gets more and more flavorful the longer it marinates in itself. Can you say delicious leftovers? Make a big batch of tortilla soup and eat it for lunch throughout the week.
You May Like: Campbell Soup Chicken And Rice Recipe With Broccoli
Chicken Tortilla Soup Toppings
I love the creamy soup base, and the chunks of chicken, corn and beans, but if Im going to be totally honest, its the toppings that totally do it for me! They add texture and flavor and can be totally personalized depending on what you like. Here are just a few ideas:
- fresh chopped cilantro
Grilled Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 8 – 6″ yellow corn tortillas, julienne
- 1/8″ strips
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic Dash ground black pepper
- 8 oz. chicken breast, boneless and skinless
- 1½ tablespoons canola olive oil blend, 80:20
- 2½ oz. yellow onions, fresh, diced
- ½” 3 tablespoons garlic, fresh, minced
- ¾ teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1½ whole bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 oz. tomato puree, canned
- 4¾ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves, fresh, chopped
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 140, Carbs: 14g, Protein: 8g, Fat: 6g, Sat. Fat: 1g, Sodium: 350mg, Fiber: 2g
Recommended Reading: Pillsbury Chicken Pot Pie Recipe With Cream Of Chicken Soup
How To Make It
*See recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
Soften onions, jalapeno peppers, and garlic in butter. Add tomato paste, corn, undrained diced tomatoes, black beans, taco seasoning, cayenne pepper, cumin, and hot sauce.
Add chicken broth and chicken breasts. Bubble gently for 20-25 minutes, until cooked through. Remove and use 2 forks to shred.
Add the chicken back to the soup and reduce heat to low. Add cheddar and softened cream cheese and stir until smooth and combined. Garnish, and serve!
To Make Crispy Tortilla Strips:
- Pan Frying: Preheat a pan with 1/4 cup oil over medium-high heat. Cut 8 corn tortillas into thin strips and fry them in a couple of batches, adding more oil as needed. Remove from the pot and let drain on a paper-towel-lined plate.
- To Bake: Toss tortilla strips in a bowl with 2 Tbsp oil until well coated. Bake on a cookie sheet in a single layer at 350F for 15 minutes.
Don’t Miss: Andersen Split Pea Soup Hotel
How To Make This Chicken Tortilla Soup In The Slow Cooker
- Heat the oil in a dutch oven pot and saute the onion and bell pepper for 3-4 minutes. Add in the garlic and seasonings and cook for 30 seconds, stirring frequently.
- Turn on the slow cooker, add in the sauteed veggies. Then, add the corn, salsa, jalapeño, beans, chicken, and broth.
- Cover the slow cooker and set it on LOW for 6 hours or on HIGH for 4 hours
- Open the slow cooker, remove the chicken breast and shred it. Return back the shredded chicken and stir in with the cheeses. Mix well.
- Top with additional garnishes and enjoy!
- Tip: If the tortilla soup is watery, use a spoon and mash some of the beans on the side of the pot, add in some cornstarch or flour
Why This Tortilla Soup Will Be Your Go
- Flavorful: If you love Mexican food you will love the flavors in this chicken tortilla soup. Everything you are looking for in a Mexican meal will be found in this soup.
- Easy and Healthy: Making this tortilla soup is quite easy and made with healthy ingredients. You may even eliminate the cream cheese and use coconut milk.
- Filling: This creamy chicken tortilla soup will keep you full for hours because it is so filling and packed with protein.
You May Like: Campbell Soup Chicken And Rice Casserole
Rotisserie Chickensa Love Story:
Can we talk for a second about how many easy dinners a rotisserie chicken can make? So many. Youre no less of a home cook for relying on the occasional shortcut, and cooked whole chicken is one of the greatest shortcuts of all time. If you dont end up using all of the chicken for this soup, toss the leftovers into a quick chicken salad for school lunches, or save some for tomorrow nights dinner .
But we digress. You get the idearotisserie chickens are great. Dont leave the store without one. Back to this easy chicken tortilla soup.
Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup Ingredients
What will you need to make this zesty tortilla soup? It only requires 15 simple ingredients 10 of which are pantry staples!
- Olive oil To sauté the veggies.
- Onion The beginning of every great soup recipe.
- Cilantro If you dont love raw cilantro, you may still enjoy this soup, because the cilantro is well-cooked.
- Garlic Fresh is best!
- Chicken broth Use your favorite brand.
- Diced tomatoes Look for a brand of canned tomatoes that offers fired roasted for extra flavor.
- Chicken breasts Cook them whole, right in the broth.
- Ground cumin For deep smoky essence.
- Chili powder Or pure ground chiles.
- Cayenne pepper For a little kick!
- Bay leaves For a deep herbaceous note.
- Carrots If the skins arent rough and fuzzy, theres no need to peel the carrots.
- Monterey jack cheese To thicken the soup and to add as a garnish
- Avocados The perfect creamy topper.
- Bag of tortilla chips To thicken the soup and to add as a crunchy topping!
Recommended Reading: Slow Cooker Pot Roast With Lipton Onion Soup Mix
Chicken Tortilla Soup: Faqs
Can I use chicken breasts instead of chicken thighs?
Yes! Of note though, theres a bit more flavor in chicken thighs thats really, really delicious for this soup.
What goes with chicken tortilla soup?
Tortilla chips, fried tortilla strips, maybe even these jalapeño corn fritters. SO GOOD!
Can I freeze this soup?
Yes, definitely! Just rewarm on the stovetop.
How can I thicken this soup?
Blended dried tortilla or cornmeal can help thicken this up.
Can this be made in the Instant Pot?
Yes! See recipe notes below.
Can I use bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs?
Yes and itll add a TON of flavor to the soup if you do. Itll just take a little bit of time to remove the skin and bones when everything finishes cooking.
How To Make Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
Only 5 steps to making this quick soup:
You May Like: Campbell’s Tomato Soup Sloppy Joe Recipe
How Do You Store Leftover Soup
After the soup has cooled, place it in an airtight container. Be sure not to include any toppings because they will become soggy as the soup chills. Place the soup in the fridge, and it will last up to 5 days.
Reheat the soup in a pot using medium heat. Stir frequently, so it doesnt burn. Once its hot, you can serve. Add toppings and enjoy!
What Are Some Chicken Tortilla Soup Varieties
There are a few different popular tortilla soup variations. For example, you can add beans and it becomes Tarasca soup, or if you omit the chicken it is called Azteca soup.
Today, however, I am going to share my recipe for the traditional Chicken Tortilla Soup. It is perfect for cold, rainy days but if you are like me, you will like it year-round.
You May Like: Campbell Soup Sloppy Joe Recipe
Homemade Chicken Tortilla Soup
Chicken tortilla soup will forever and always be one of my favorites. Who can resist those fresh, well spiced Mexican flavors in a cozy bowl of soup?
This quick version includes so much texture and flavor variations but it truly just comes together so perfectly. Layer upon layer of enticing taste.
And a critical part of what really makes this soup so good are those toppings . So pile the toppings high and serve it warm and steamy!
What To Consider When Choosing A Chicken Tortilla Soups Side Dish
Chicken tortilla soup is a popular and delicious Mexican dish that can be served as an appetizer or as the main course.
Choosing the right side dish for chicken tortilla soup can really make or break your meal though.
Here is what you should keep in mind when cooking or buying a side dish to serve with chicken tortilla soup:
Recommended Reading: Potato Soup With Frozen Hash Browns
All You Need To Make This Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe Is:
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thigh or breast, trimmed
- 1 can crushed or diced tomatoes
- 1 can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups chicken broth
- Tortilla chips
What Is Tortilla Soup Anyway
Spiced, but not necessarily spicy, tortilla soup is simple, flavorful Mexican chicken soup traditionally flavored with tomatoes, garlic, onions, and chilies. While our version may not qualify as the most authentic tortilla soup recipe ever, we know for sure its the most weeknight friendly. Our recipe combines major flavor and minimal effort thanks to these 3 superstar ingredients that deserve a place on your grocery list every time:
Don’t Miss: Campbells Soup Chicken And Rice Casserole
Tips For Tortilla Soup:
- Use Leftover Chicken. Have a rotisserie chicken hanging out in your fridge? What about some leftover chicken breasts you dont know what to do with? You can always use leftover chicken to make a fresh batch of Chicken Tortilla Soup.
- Bone Broth Makes All The Difference. Use low-sodium bone broth or easily make your own chicken broth.
- Adjust The Spice. Do you like it spicy? Add some extra jalapeños into the mix.
- Save Time With Canned Corn And Beans. Speed up the cooking time by using canned corn and beans.
- Cut Avocado Right Before Serving. To keep your avocado from browning, cut it right before you serve the soup
- Season To Taste. Depending on the tomatoes and broth you use, you may need to adjust the salt to taste at the end.