Tips For The Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
This classic chicken noodle soup will leave you feeling so great, warm, and cozy. Perfect for chilly nights! Here are a few tips to make this recipe for chicken soup with noodles a success:
- We use cooked shredded chicken for this soup recipe to save time, but you totally can use fresh chicken breasts or thighs and cook them before making the soup.
- We think egg noodles in chicken noodle soup are the best, but if you like rotini, linguine, or another type of pasta, use it instead.
- We like using Italian seasoning for this chicken soup but feel free to use fresh herbs instead.
Recipe Using Chicken Thighs
You know a recipes will be flavorful if it calls for using chicken thighs. I feel like this affordable cut of meat gets a bad rap for being dark meat and therefore fatty.
The truth is, boneless skinless chicken thighs are the most flavorful and tender chicken meat to use in soups, especially when you are skipping a homemade stock. Thighs bring all the rich chicken flavor but are surprisingly lean and never dry. No one wants dry chicken in their soup!
Is It Possible To Freeze Chunky Chicken Noodle Soup
Its easier to freeze chicken noodle soup without the noodles, otherwise, theyll get mushy. When you are ready to serve, defrost the noodles and stir them in. Divide the soup into smaller portions, chill it completely in the refrigerator, and then transfer it to the freezer, where it will keep for up to about three months.
Read Also: Homemade Chicken Soup Delivery
How Long Does Chicken Noodle Soup Last
This Chunky Chicken Noodle Soup should last for up to a week covered in the fridge. To reheat, either microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring with a spoon in between, until fully heated, or heat thoroughly in a pan over medium heat. Soup is also a GREAT freezer item! Store this in a tightly covered container in the freezer for up to 3 or 4 months.
More Comfort Food Chicken Soup Recipes:
And if youre looking for a ton of soup recipes, check out my category on Soup.
Youll find the most popular soup recipe on my site Anthony Bourdains New Mexico Style Beef Chili
This recipe was first published November 2010 and republished with new step by step photos.
Recommended Reading: Lipton Roasted Red Potatoes
Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
Great for a stormy or chilly day, a stubborn cold, or leftover chicken or turkey — this Chunky Chicken Noodle Soup is a favorite in our household. There’s something so comforting and nostalgic about homemade chicken noodle soup. The canned version gets the job done just fine if you’re in a pinch, but this recipe hardly takes any more time than warming up soup from a can, and it’ll warm you up and fill you up from the inside out.
I also love the option of adding whatever vegetables you and your family love. I used onion, carrot, and frozen peas and corn for a fun pop of additional color, but you can really customize this to include whatever you prefer. If you use other raw veggies, like celery, bell pepper, or potato, make sure you toss ’em in when you add the carrots to they have time to cook through and soften up a bit.
Whats The Difference Between Chicken Broth And Chicken Stock
Traditionally chicken broth is made from simmering meat, whereas chicken stock is made from simmering bones. Chicken stock has a richer flavor, due to the gelatin released from the bones as they cook, and broth is much lighter, in color and taste. Since chicken noodle soup is traditionally a brothy soup, with a relatively clear broth, I always use chicken broth instead of stock.
You May Like: Campbell’s Chicken And Wild Rice Casserole
Can This Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup Be Made On The Stovetop
Absolutely! Youll need to make a few adjustments though:
- Add a drizzle of olive oil to a dutch oven and heat over MED heat. Add 2 large chicken breasts and cook 5-7 minutes per side, or until 165 F degrees. Remove to a plate and shred, using two forks.
- Add 2 Tbsp of butter to the dutch oven and heat over MED heat. Add onion, carrot and celery and cook 5-7 minutes, until soft. Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Stir in seasonings and bay leaf, then add chicken broth. Increase heat and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce back down to MED heat and boil about 5 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Add egg noodles and boil, stirring often, about 10 minutes, or until cooked to your liking. If you notice the liquid level is down too much, feel free to add an extra cup or two of broth or water.
- Add in shredded chicken, stir and taste to check seasonings. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Is Progresso Soup Any Good
In addition to Progresso chicken noodle soup, there are a number of other popular canned versions. It may be a classic and popular soup, but its sodium content hinders its taste, says Tills. Half a can has 30% of its volume in it each day. Soy protein isolate, sodium phosphate, and maltodextrin are all added to the soup along with other additives.
Dont Miss: Lipton Onion Soup Pot Roast Instant Pot
Also Check: Lipton Onion Soup Mix And Chicken
Homemade Chunky Chicken Noodle Soup
Made with minimal effort, this chunky chicken noodle soup is one of the most flavorful soups Ive ever made! Full of chicken bits, filling pasta, and nutritious vegetables, its a full meal in a bowl!
Although soup recipes are perfect for the colder months, I make them year-round. Its simply tasty comfort food, especially this classic chicken noodle soup.
While I totally understand the appeal of shredded chicken and finely chopped veggies in soup, I love how hearty this chunky version is. If youve never had chunky soup before, youre in for a treat!
My family loves delicious homemade soups like chicken and stars, ravioli soup, chicken Florentine soup, and yellow pepper soup.
What Herbs Are Used In Chicken Noodle Soup
In this soup Ive used dried rosemary and thyme, with some fresh minced parsley as a garnish. But some dried tarragon, or using fresh herbs would be great additions and substitutions as well. While not exactly herbs, weve also used the classic mirepoix or holy trinity of diced onions, carrots and celery. These vegetables are used very frequently to start off just about any soup by adding amazing flavor and aromas.
I also like to buy reduced sodium chicken broth, so I can control the amount of salt in the dish.
Recommended Reading: Panera Soup In Grocery Store
Campbells Chunky Spicy Chicken Noodle Soup Is What You Wished Grandma Made
While the classic tag line says that Campbells Chunky is the soup that eats like a meal, the new Campbells Chunky Spicy Chicken Noodle Soup brings a whole level of flavor to the soup bowl. Although that warm bowl of soup might be the slurp of comfort that people crave, this new flavor will be the taste that brings people back just because it excites the palate. Ready to enjoy a bowl?
Soup can come in all forms. From the secret recipe that has been handed down through the family to the simple can that makes for an easy meal, the reality is that soup is always in the pantry. Although people can debate if there is or is not a soup season, the reality is that soup tends to make people feel good. From the warm to the flavor, one spoonful at a time seems to nurture in a unique way.
Sometimes soup flavors are more approachable or less bold. Even though some cuisines bring big, brash flavors to their recipes, the more classic soups, like chicken noodle, have a little more restrained flavor. It isnt that the bowl is boring, but the taste is more subtle.
Also Check: Can I Have Tomato Soup On Keto
Chicken Soup Homemade With Love
- 1TBSdried Italian herbs
- 2-3Sprigsfresh parsley
- Cook your chicken in your instant pot for 10 minutes while you do the prep work.
- Chop your carrots, celery, and onions
- Place meat and veggies into your soup pot
- Place on the stove over medium heat.
- Pour the chicken broth into your pot over your chicken and vegetables
- Place the lid on your post and bring to a boil
- After your soup has come to a boil add in your egg noodles and herbs.
- Cook for 6-8 minutes stirring occasionally to keep noodles from sticking.
- When the noodles are cooked remove the soup from the stove and serve hot
- Refrigerate leftovers for 2-3 days
Also Check: Lipton Onion Roasted Red Potatoes
What Happens If Campbells Chunky Classic Chicken Noodle Soup Is Out Of Stock And I Need To Give Specific Instructions
- Find Best Match: By default, your shopper will use their best judgement to pick a replacement for your item.
- Pick Specific Replacement: You can pick a specific alternative for the shopper to purchase if your first choice is out-of-stock.
- Dont Replace: For items youd rather not replace, choose Dont replace to get a refund if the item is out of stock.
Can You Freeze Chicken Noodle Soup
Absolutely! Thats actually one of my favorite aspects of this soup. It makes a big batch, so I always freeze about half of it for those days when Im really under the weather. A quick reheat in the microwave or in a pot and this soup instantly makes me feel better. To freeze this soup, first divide it into single portions, make sure it is chilled completely in the refrigerator, then transfer it to the freezer, for up to about three months.
Nutritional values are estimates only. See our full nutrition disclaimer here.The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products we use and love. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Love chicken soup? Then youll LOVE my Chicken Stew. Its like chicken soups heartier, more rustic cousin!
Recommended Reading: Crock Pot Pot Roast With Lipton Onion Soup Mix
Theres A Better Way To Measure Tv & Streaming Ad Roi
- Real-Time Ad Measurement Across Linear and CTV
- TV Ad Attribution & Benchmarking
- Real-Time Video Ad Creative Assessment
Los Angeles Rams head coach Sean McVay surprises a science teacher whos chowing down on tuna fish for lunch. Sean knows hes got a big second half of the day coming up, so he encourages him to fuel up Campbells Chunky soup.
Why Is Campbells Soup So Expensive
New York Campbell Soup is raising the prices it charges stores for its products in response to rising supply chain costs. Our results were impacted by a rising inflationary environment, short-term increases in supply chain costs, and some executional pressures, CEO Mark Clouse said in a news release.
You May Like: Shark Tank Gift Basket
Read Also: Chef’s Cupboard Cream Of Mushroom Soup
How To Make Chunky Chicken Noodle Soup
Making chunky chicken soup is as easy as can be! Its the perfect dish to whip up on chilly nights when you crave something warm and comforting. All you have to do is brown the chicken, sauté the veggies, and then cook everything until tender.
This is just an overview. See the printablerecipe card toward the end of the post for the full ingredients and directions.
How Do You Make Chicken Noodle Soup
Chicken noodle soup comes together quickly and effortlessly with these few steps.
Simply sauté your vegetables, add in broth and noodles then simmer with your leftover chicken- it is that simple!
You will have a quick and easy dinner within 20 minutes. It is quick, easy and comforting.
Add some crackers, a side of bread or simply eat it plain and enjoy the warmth from your chicken noodle soup.
It is the BEST of the BEST!
- Sauté vegetables and seasonings: In a large pot over medium high heat, add the olive oil, carrots, celery, and onion. Sauté until tender 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic, fresh thyme, and salt and pepper and sauté for 1 minute more.
- Add broth and noodles: Pour in the chicken broth and egg noodles and bring to a boil on high heat. Reduce to a simmer and let the noodles cook until al dente for about 10 minutes.
- Add chicken and simmer until ready to serve: Add in the chicken, and fresh parsley right before serving and continue to simmer until the chicken is heated throughout. Salt and pepper additionally to taste.
You May Like: Lipton Recipe Secrets Potatoes
Campbells Healthy Request Chicken Noodle Soup
Campbells Healthy Request Chicken Noodle Soup is a new take on the OG chicken noodle. Designed to be heart-healthy, the brand introduced its Healthy Request line in 1991 and has been expanding and tweaking the line ever since. In 2009, Campbells revamped the line by reducing the sodium in each can of soup even further, reports Food Ingredients First, and, more recently, in 2011, Campbells added more soup options to its line, for 33 different Healthy Request products . To be considered a Healthy Request soup, the soup must contain a maximum 410 milligrams of sodium per serving, meeting U.S. government criteria for healthy foods and enabling Campbells to display the American Heart Associations hearty-healthy logo.
So where does Campbells Healthy Request Chicken Noodle Soup go wrong? Essentially, it packs the same downsides of the OG chicken noodle soup but now with less flavor. Sure, theres less salt, but any home cook knows salt goes a long way in making a tasty soup. The one thing it has going for it? This soup comes in both cans and a microwavable bowl, for easier eating on the go.
Chunky Chicken Noodle And Vegetable Soup
- 3tablespoonsextra virgin olive oil
- 1medium white onionfinely chopped
- 5stalks of celerychopped
- 4large carrotspeeled and sliced
- 1cupsweet pepperschopped
- 1zucchini chopped1/2 inch pieces
- 1yellow squash chopped 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 1/2cupseggplantchopped 1/2 inch pieces
- 5clovesfresh garlicminced
- 48ozchicken brothI used 1 full 32 oz size and 1/2 of another
- 9ozsmall noodles of choice
- 1tablespooncoarse Dijon Mustard
- 1teaspoonhot saucedoesn’t make it spicy, just gives a nice flavor
- 2large chicken breastscooked and shredded
- 1cupfresh parsleyfinely chopped
- pinchesof Kosher saltfresh ground black pepper and Lawry’s Garlic Salt to TASTE
Also Check: Hamburger Recipe With Onion Soup Mix
Tip’s To Make Best Homemade Chunky Chicken Noodle Soup:
- To get shredded Chicken for this recipe, you can either boil the boneless chicken breast and then shred it or get a rotisserie chicken from store then shred it.
- To shred the chicken you can either use a pair of fork or use hand or stand mixer to get this done.Yes! hand mixer or stand mixer is so good at this work too.
- Always use milk and cream at room temperature.Do not use chilled milk and cream to cook.This will prevent curdling the milk and cream when cooking in soup.
- Do not boil the soup after adding milk and cream.This will led to curdling the soup,instead simmer it till its done.
- Use vegetables of your choice in this soup.
- Always saute the flour before adding the stock.This will prevent the flour from forming lumps.
Make This Simple Chunky Chicken Noodle Soup
I love to run my chicken through the instant pot before I start cooking soup when I do it on the stove top. This makes the soup finish faster with no risk of half cooked chicken. Run your chicken through the Instant Pot for 10 minutes or bring to a simmer on the stove before you cut it into chunks for your soup.
Chop your carrots, celery, and onions or grab them out of the freezer if you are like me and enjoy prepping them ahead of time to make soup easy.
Place meat and veggies into your soup pot.
Place on the stove over medium heat.
Pour the chicken broth into your pot over your chicken and vegetables. Stir well.
Place the lid on your post and bring to a boil.
After your soup has come to a boil add in your egg noodles and herbs. Cook for 6-8 minutes stirring occasionally to keep noodles from sticking.
When the noodles are cooked remove the soup from the stove and serve hot.
Refrigerate leftovers for 2-3 days. I like to freeze the leftovers to put up for my husband.
This soup is one of my go-to recipes for when someone starts to get sick in the family. This winter has been brutal and with my husbands new job he has gotten sick a few times. Sadly shared it with us a couple of times. With some fresh hot simple soup and plenty of germ-fighting oil, we are making it out alright without any major illnesses. I am so grateful for that.
Read Also: Sloppy Joe Recipes With Tomato Soup
What You Need To Make Chicken Noodle Soup
This chicken noodle soup is just what you are needing this winter season.
Loads of flavor, easy to make and simple ingredients!
Who doesnt love a good chicken noodle soup recipe?!
This is a tried and true soup that will carry on a great tradition and will never let you down.
It is not lacking any flavor and still has simple ingredients that are right in your pantry.
This chicken noodle soup is made with pure love and will comfort your soul, it is that good!
Everything is so simple to throw together and perfect for that left over chicken.
Simply add in a rotisserie chicken, shredded apart or any left over chicken that you may have from leftovers.
It is that easy and so good!
- Olive oil: great for sautéing your vegetables and making sure they dont stick.
- Carrots: sliced up as thick as you prefer.
- Celery: diced up as thick as you like.
- Onion: sliced and diced into cubes.
- Garlic: added flavoring.