Hash Brown Slow Cooker Potato Soup
Hash Brown Slow Cooker Potato Soup is creamy, comforting soup without the work!
A few minutes prep time and dinner will be waiting tonight!
I love the ease of a slow cooker for the busy weeknight meals. Whats even better than the help of a slow cooker is products that are healthy, but already prepped for you. This makes getting your recipe ready even quicker.
Less time prepping means more time with whats important, spending time with your family.
Simply Potatoes makes slow cooker recipes a snap. All you do is cut open the bag of Simply Potatoes Shredded Hash Browns and add them to your recipe. Theres no peeling, slicing or dicing. The potatoes are recipe ready!
Bonus, Simply Potatoes are made from fresh potatoes and never frozen. You can taste the freshness and flavor really shines through in this recipe.
Hash browns are one of my familys favorite foods. We enjoy them for breakfast and in casseroles.
While youre here, check out these soup recipes.
- Potato Pimento Cheese Soup
- Healthy Slow Cooker Tex Mex Chicken Soup
Easy Cheesy Potato Soup Recipe
Jamie here! Its supposed to get down to a chilly 32 this weekend here in East Tennessee, guys. Im talking about some lounging on the couch, wool socks on my feet, bowl of soup in my hands, watching Back to the Future with the family kinda weekend. To that end, I plan to get a crockpot full of cheesy potato goodness ready for the man-herd!
Here my recipe for Cheesy Potato Soup:
NOTE: I posted my favorite cheesy potato soup recipe once before but Ive adapted it for the slow cooker so you can make it on busy days. My family told me it was the BEST which well chalk up to the fact that Velveeta was present.
The recipe below is the most basic but there are optional extras you can use to make it even BETTER. .
For the crock-pot version of this soup put all the solid ingredients, including bullion cubes, into your crockpot. Pour in the water and the cream soups, and set it on High for 4 hours, or Low for 6-8. SO EASY!!
Helpful Hint: I put my Velveeta in at the beginning, but I almost think it wouldve been wiser to melt it in the microwave and add it at the end . If you use slow cooker bags though, this probably wouldnt even be an issue
- 32ozFrozen Hashbrown PotatoesOR 4 LARGE baking potatoes, cubed
- 4CupsChicken BrothYou can use Chicken boullion
- 1Can Cream of Chicken
- 1Can Cream of Mushroom or Celery
- 1 1/2CupsMilk
- Toppings: Shredded CheeseBacon bits, Sour Cream, Ritz Crackers
Slow Cooker Potato Soup
Slow cooker potato soup is a cheap and easy dinner to toss together in minutes. Turn your slow cooker on and let it cook away.
Sometimes I dont want to prep russet potatoes and peel them, so having my hashbrown slow cooker potato soup recipe I can get the same flavor in a fraction of the time to prep a classic soup.
Recommended Reading: Campbell’s Tomato Soup Recipes With Ground Beef
Faqs About Making Easy Potato Soup
Q: Can I substitute other frozen potato products, like hashbrowns?
A: Stick with the Potatoes OBrien for this recipe. The potatoes are diced into small bite size pieces that work great and the peppers and onions add flavor!
Q: Can this Potato Soup be Frozen?
A: Yes! All of the ingredients are freezer-safe! Just store in an air tight container in the freezer. Then, thaw overnight and warm on the stove top until it is too temperature. Be careful not to overcook.
Q: Can I add in other ingredients?
A: Of course! Feel free to add additional fresh or frozen vegetables or meat. Make sure any meat products are already precooked before adding to the potato soup.
HEAD OVER TO SEE EVEN MORE FAST AND EASY DINNER RECIPES THAT WILL BE AN AMAZING PART OF YOUR RECIPE COLLECTION!
- Try this flavorful Baked Pork Chops recipe thats certain to wow your taste buds.
- Dont forget to give this simple Spiral Ham in the Corck Pot recipe a try.
- If you love this fun recipe, youll love having Red Beans and Rice as a dinner option!
CONNECT WITH A MOMS TAKE ON YOUR FAVORITE SOCIAL CHANNEL FOR MORE RECIPES!
You can find us on:
Potato Soup With Hash Browns
Baked potato soup made with hash browns, great for cold weather! I serve it in a bread bowl if I have the frozen bread dough handy and raised. Bread bowl made from Rhodes® frozen bread dough.
Provided by nsupanda
|1 package frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed|
|42 ounces chicken broth|
|1 can condensed cream of chicken soup|
|1 large potato, peeled and diced|
|½ cup chopped onion|
|½ teaspoon ground black pepper|
|1 package cream cheese, softened|
|cup shredded Cheddar cheese, or to taste|
|2 tablespoons bacon bits, or to taste|
|2 tablespoons sliced green onions, or to taste|
- Put hash browns, chicken broth, soup, potato, onion, and pepper in a slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on Low until diced potatoes are tender and soup is hot, 3 to 5 hours.
- Drop in softened cream cheese use a whisk to get it all melted and mixed in.
- Garnish with Cheddar cheese, bacon bits, and green onions.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 389.3 calories, Carbohydrate 41.4 g, Cholesterol 59.8 mg, Fat 27.7 g, Fiber 3.6 g, Protein 12 g, SaturatedFat 14 g, Sodium 1567.5 mg, Sugar 2.5 g
Don’t Miss: Broccoli Chicken Rice Casserole Campbells
Instant Pot Potato Soup Is A Quick And Easy Way To Make Your Favorite Homestyle Soup In A Fraction Of The Time Its Rich Creamy Cheesy And Delicious
This creamy loaded Instant Pot potato soup uses frozen hash browns and cream cheese to save time without sacrificing flavorits a deliciously easy meal your family will love!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
Since Ive already professed my love for Olive Garden soups, lets talk about my affection for Panera soups. I love their chicken and wild rice soup, their chicken noodle soup, and their baked potato soup.
Because, lets be honestthere is not much in this world that is more comforting than a hearty bowl of hot soup in a bread bowl or with a baguette.
So, naturally, in my quest to make more of our meals at home, I began learning how to make homemade versions of many of my favorite soups. First, I started making stove top or slow cooker versions of these yummy soups.
Later, when I bought my Instant Pot, I began converting many of those recipes to be made in the pressure cooker. It was a lot faster that way, and more hands-off .
Potato soup was one soup I hadnt yet converteduntil now.
For years, I made a different potato soup recipe, which we really liked. But more recently, I found this slow cooker potato soup recipe from Julie at Back to My Southern Roots.
Not that making soup in the slow cooker is difficult, but it requires more time . With the Instant Pot, this soup cooked up in minutes, and it is amazing!
How To Make Cheesy Potato Soup In The Slow Cooker
To make this Slow Cooker Cheesy Potato Soup, simply:
STEP 1: In the slow cooker, combine frozen hash browns, chicken broth, chicken soup, ham, corn, onion, garlic salt, and pepper.
STEP 2: Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 6-8 hour.
STEP 3: Add heavy cream and cream cheese, stirring until well blended.
STEP 4: Add shredded cheese, heat until cheese melts.
STEP 5: Serve and top with bacon pieces, green onions, and shredded cheddar cheese.
Also Check: Pioneer Woman Taco Soup With Ground Beef
How To Make Baked Potato Soup
For full details on how to make baked potato soup see the recipe card down below.
Read Also: Campbell Soup Chicken And Rice Casserole
Soup Toppings And Add
This hash brown potato soup is hearty, filling, and has a mild flavor. Its great for sick days, its kid friendly, and can easily be customized with toppings or add-ins to make everyones bowl of soup unique.
I like to put out a toppings bar with potato soup, so that everyone can customize their soup with their favorite ingredients. Here are a few ideas:
- Crumbled bacon/bacon bits
You May Like: How To Make Onion Dip With Soup Mix
How Do You Make Potato Soup With Frozen Hash Browns
Start by sautéing the onion in the same pot you will cook the soup in.
Add broth and bring to a boil. Add frozen hash browns and return to a boil. Add soups and evaporated milk and stir. Bring to a simmer.
Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until it is thickened with a few chunks of potato remaining . This will give you a thicker, smoother soup. Remove blender.
Add all of the cheese except the portion reserved for garnish. Heat, stirring frequently, until cheese melts. Season with salt & pepper to taste before serving garnished with remaining cheese and chopped green onion.
Serve in bowls or crocks and garnish with shredded cheddar cheese and green onion.
How To Make Instant Pot Potato Soup Using Frozen Hash Browns
In the insert pot of your Instant Pot, youll add a bag of frozen hash brown potatoes and some chicken broth. Youll cook that at high pressure for 3 minutes, then allow a 10 minute natural release before performing a quick release of remaining pressure.
Add some cubed cream cheese to the hot broth and stir it around for a few minutes until its melted. It will look a little strange and unappetizing at first, but dont worry. Thats normal.
Once its all melted and the other ingredients are added, it will be a lovely, creamy soup.
After the cream cheese is melted, youll add in some cream of chicken soup, followed by some shredded cheese. Doesnt that look so much better already?
Last, season with salt and pepper and give it a good stir. Ladle it into soup bowls and top with bacon crumbles and more shredded cheese, if desired.
Recommended Reading: Hash Brown Potato Soup Recipe
Crock Pot Potato Soup With Hash Browns Recipe:
Put the hashbrowns in the Crock PotAdd in the chicken broth , cream of chicken soup and half of the bacon bitsCook on low for atleast 7, up to about 8 hours, or until potatoes are tenderAdd salt & pepper to tasteAbout an hour before serving, add the cream cheese to the slow cookerMix a few times throughout the last hour of cookingOnce the cream cheese is mixed in, the soup is ready to serve.Top with bacon bits and cheddar cheese.Enjoy!
Tips For Crock Pot Potato Soup:
- Hand grate the cheese instead of buying pre-shredded. The cheese will melt smoother. Pre shredded cheese will make the soup stringy.
- Change up the Frozen Hash browns shredded hash browns work great but you can also use diced frozen potatoes.
- Use Real Potatoes If you want to use real potatoes, you can. Peel and diced about 3 lbs of real potatoes. You will want to then use a hand mixer right before serving to make sure your potatoes blend together for a creamy soup.
- Use a different cream soup Cream of Chicken gives the soup a tasty and creamy base. Other types of cream soup would work in a pinch. I bet cream of celery would be good.
- Use Liners Save time and use Crockpot liners. These make clean up even easier.
- I use this programmable crockpot when Im going to be gone all day. It is great for busy weeks when the kids have a ton of activities.
Don’t Miss: What Seasoning Is In Lipton Onion Soup Mix
What Type Of Hashbrowns Are The Best For Potato Soup
I typically use frozen, shredded potatoes for this recipe, but you could absolutely make this soup with the shredded potatoes that you find in the refrigerated section of the grocery store. You could even shred fresh potatoes if you wanted to.
Use a kitchen scale to measure 20 ounces or just eyeball it. Theres nothing wrong with adding a little extra potatoes into this recipe.
Read Also: How To Make Soup Dumplings
How To Make ~ Quick Cheesy Southern Hash Brown Potato Soup ~
- 1In a dutch oven over medium heat – melt butter. Add onion, celery and garlic – cook and stir until celery and onion are tender, about 5 minutes.
- 2Stir in the hash browns – continue cooking and carefully stirring for another 5 – 10 minutes or so. Making sure not to stick.
- 3Next, stir in the milk, cream, soup, salt, pepper, garlic salt, sour cream, parsley. Stir, making sure the sour cream and soup is thoroughly combined and cheese is melted.
- 4Continue cooking and stirring for another 15 – 20 minutes or until potatoes are nice and tender. Serve in bowls and top with sour cream, cheese and bacon bits if preferred. It’s delicious and very satisfying.
- Last Step: Don’t forget to share! Make all your friends drool by posting a picture of your finished recipe on your favorite social network. And don’t forget to tag Just A Pinch and include #justapinchrecipes so we can see it too!
You May Like: Frozen Hash Brown Potato Soup
Comfort Food Soup For Winter
This recipe is extra EASY, because its made with frozen hash browns! No washing, peeling, and cubing potatoes in this recipe. Winning.
You can make this easy potato soup even heartier by topping it off with crumbled bacon, more sautéed carrots, and some salty crackers. The salt from the bacon and the crackers means you dont need to add too much extra salt to the soup. The flavors just blend together so beautifully, the perfect soup for any chilly day.
I love soups of all types and flavors, but this one is special. Easy, delicious, and packed with unique flavors. Im telling you, those carrots are the secret weapon!
How Do You Make Egg Drop Soup
In a pot, bring the chicken broth, soy sauce, and ground ginger to a boil.
In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and water. Stir into the boiling broth until thickened.
Reduce heat to a simmer. Slowly drizzle the eggs into the soup while gently stirring in a circle in the same direction.
Remove from heat and add the salt, sesame oil , and green onions. Add more salt to taste and serve.
How Can I Add Flavor To Potato Soup
This potato soup gets a lot of flavor from the cooked crumbled bacon and the cheese. However, you can also add in some extra ingredients to get even more flavor if you want.
Here are some ideas to consider:
- Broccoli Add in a few florets of broccoli during the last hour of cooking. Its a great way to get extra nutrients as well as flavor.
- Corn Another fun way to add some flavor and texture is by including a cup or two of frozen corn. Its naturally sweet and delicious. Add it when there is 1 hour left of cooking time.
Pepper Jack Cheese I used cheddar cheese, but to get a little bit of spice, use Pepper Jack. Its incredible.
Hash Browns Potato Soup
This is a super easy and delicious soup from a restaurant called The Market Place. Using precooked or leftover bacon is a time-saver. I use light sour cream and light Velveeta for less fat content. Note that butter is optional, but sour cream a must. Enjoy!
Provided by SmHerndon
|1 package frozen hash brown potatoes|
|1/2 cup chopped onion|
|1/2 lb Velveeta cheese, cut in small cubes|
|4 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled|
- Place potatoes and onion in large pan and barely cover with water.
- Cook until potatoes are tender do not drain.
- Mash with potato masher to desired consistency.
- Add butter, if using, sour cream, velveeta, salt & pepper, and garlic powder.
- Heat until cheese is melted – do not boil.
- If mixture is too thick, add milk to desired soupy consistency.
- Serve with crumbled bacon on top of each serving. Great with a thick, hearty bread!
Nutrition Facts : Calories 358.4, Fat 21.3, SaturatedFat 12.3, Cholesterol 59.2, Sodium 695.5, Carbohydrate 32.6, Fiber 2.3, Sugar 4.6, Protein 10.6
You May Like: Lipton Soup Potato Recipe
Frozen Hash Browns Make A Perfect Base For This Hearty Bowl Of Creamy Potato Soup
- 8 cup Frozen Shredded Hash Browns
- 6 cup Low Sodium, Fat Free Vegetable Broth
- or 6 cup Fat Free, Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- ¼ cup All Purpose Flour
- 12 oz Fat Free Evaporated Milk
- or 1½ cup Whole Milk
- ¾ cup Plain Nonfat Greek Yogurt
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 6 T Chopped Green Onion
- ½ cup Grated White Cheddar Cheese
- ½ cup Chopped, Cooked Bacon
FROZEN HASH BROWNS: 2 packages of diced frozen hash browns.
CHICKEN BROTH: 3 cans of low sodium chicken broth.
CREAM OF CHICKEN SOUP: 1 can of cream of chicken soup.
DICED HAM: 2 cups of diced ham.
CORN: 1 package of frozen corn. You can also use canned corn or fresh corn.
ONION: 1 medium onion.
GARLIC SALT: 2 teaspoons of garlic salt.
PEPPER: 1 teaspoon of pepper.
HEAVY CREAM: 1 cup of heavy cream.
CREAM CHEESE: 1 package of cream cheese.
CHEDDAR CHEESE BLOCK: 1 cheddar cheese block. You will need 2 cups of FRESHLY GRATED cheddar cheese.
BACON: I like to sprinkle some cooked bacon pieces on top of the soup.
GREEN ONIONS: Add a couple of green onions as a topping too.