How To Make Chicken And Rice Casserole With Cream Of Mushroom Soup
Any good Southern casserole starts with condensed soup and is finished with a buttery, crunchy, Ritz cracker toppingand this recipe certainly delivers! Toss it together at the last minute for a quick weeknight meal, or prep it ahead for your busiest days. This easy, creamy chicken and rice casserole is comfort food at its best!
Making Ahead Storing And Freezing
This soup can be made ahead and re-heated, as it keeps its nice consistency in the fride.
This soup will store well in the fridge for about 2-3 days.
While you can freeze this soup, you may notice a small texture change after thawing and re-heating, due to the cream. If you are concerned about that, you can freeze it before adding the cream and then simply add the cream when re-heating
Quick And Easy French Onion Meatloaf
The Spruce / Diana Rattray
French onion meatloaf is inexpensive, easy to prepare, and makes a satisfying dinner with mashed potatoes, and a green side salad. Leftovers can be sliced for sandwiches, or frozen for reheating later. Wrap tightly in foil for the freezer, storing inside an airtight bag for up to three months.
Also Check: Is Campbell’s French Onion Soup Gluten Free
Cream Of Mushroom Soup
A warm bowl of soup so deliciously creamy with tender bites of mushroom pieces. Full flavoured with garlic, onions and herbs subtle enough to shine through and compliment the natural flavour of mushrooms without overpowering it. Cooked with easy to find ingredients you may already have in your kitchen, you are minutes away from a satisfying bowl of creamy goodness!
How To Cook Chicken For A Casserole
While its possible to cook a casserole with raw chicken, youll need cooked chicken for this recipe, and a variety of options will work. Pick the most convenient method for you
- Rotisserie Chicken: This is a great shortcut! Purchase a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store, shred the meat, and use in the recipe as instructed. One chicken should yield at least 3 cups of meat.
- Boiled and Pulled Chicken: Boil about 1½ lbs. of boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs until cooked through . When cool enough to handle, chop or pull the chicken. I find that 1½ lbs. of chicken breasts yields about 3 cups of pulled chicken.
- Leftover Chicken: If you have leftover grilled or baked chicken from a previous meal, put those extras to good use in this casserole.
Also Check: Is Onion Soup Keto Friendly
Tips For The Best Chicken And Rice Casserole With Cream Of Mushroom Soup
- Cooking for a smaller family? Cut all of the ingredients in half and bake the casserole in an 8-inch square dish. The rest of the cooking instructions remain the same.
- Alternatively, you can divide the casserole ingredients between two 8-inch square baking dishes. Bake one now, and freeze the other for a later meal.
- Use a store-bought rotisserie chicken for an easy, quick-prep solution. The rotisserie chicken also adds a lot of flavor to the dish.
- Try microwaveable packets of rice for another shortcut, or use leftover rice from a previous meal.
- Use full-fat sour cream for the best flavor and texture.
- Bake the casserole just until its heated through. All of the ingredients are already cooked, so you just want to warm it in the oven until bubbly. Dont bake it for too long or it may dry out or get burned on top.
Cream Of Mushroom Soup Substitutes To Try
So, before we get to the recipe, let’s talk about what happens if you don’t have cream of mushroom soup on hand. When you’ve got a recipe that calls for cream of mushroom soup, but you find your pantry is bare, don’t panic. Depending on what you plan to make, one of these substitutes can work wonders:
- Alfredo Sauce If you’re making a casserole that calls for cream of mushroom, try using Alfredo Sauce instead. The consistency is similar, and you might find a new favorite recipe in the process! Grab our homemade Alfredo sauce recipe and add some sauteed mushrooms and fresh garlic!
- Cream of Chicken Soup In most cases, cream of chicken works just as well! In fact, we’ve been known to sub it in on purpose to please mushroom-hating picky eaters. Doctor up the canned version with some freshly grated garlic.
- Sour Cream Three cheers for this shelf cooking MVP! You can use sour cream in just about anything even muffins and pound cake! And yup, it makes a good cream of mushroom substitute, too. For every can your recipe calls for, swap in one cup of sour cream.
- Cream of Celery Soup Here’s another cream of soup that works well in a pinch. While the flavor may taste slightly different, the consistency is similar enough to use this swap in a one to one ratio. If you have fresh mushrooms, dice them and add them to the mixture!
You May Like: Amazon French Onion Soup Bowls
How To Make Creamy Mushroom Soup
Crock Pot Meatballs And Gravy
The Spruce / Katarina Zunic
Beefy meatballs smothered in creamy brown gravy make a delicious meal with buttered egg noodles or mashed potatoes. This five-ingredient slow cooker recipe couldn’t be easier to make, with frozen cooked meatballs, creamy condensed soup, dry turkey gravy mix, and pantry spices.
You May Like: Lipton Onion Soup Mix Kroger
Pork Chops With A Creamy Mushroom And Garlic Sauce
One of the best things about a can of Campbells Soup is its always there in your cupboard when you need it! This recipe uses pork chops as the main ingredient, but it would be nothing without a trusty can of Campbells Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup.
What Youll Need
How To make Pork Chops with a Creamy Mushroom and Garlic Sauce
- In a medium frying pan, heat the oil.
- Add the pork and cook until browned on both sides. Mix in the soup, milk and crushed garlic. Bring to the boil, stirring frequently.
- Cover over with tin foil and cook for 8-10 minutes, until the pork is cooked through.
- Serve piping hot with mashed potatoes and mixed vegetables.
Can You Eat Cream Of Mushroom Soup By Itself
If you want to eat cream of mushroom soup by itself, Heikkinen says homemade is the best bet for something that tastes good and is low sodium and additive-free. If youd prefer something slightly less fatty, Recipes That Crock has a version made from butter, milk, mushrooms, flour, and chicken or beef broth.
Recommended Reading: Swedish Meatballs With Cream Of Mushroom Soup
Slow Cooker Pork Chops In Cream Of Mushroom Soup
If youre looking for a simple slow cooker recipe, try this slow cooker pork chops in cream of mushroom soup. This recipe includes just three ingredients and tastes great served with rice, pasta, or mashed potatoes. Get the recipe from CDKitchen.
I hope you enjoy these recipes as much as my family and I have. They are perfect for a quick, easy, and tasty meal.
More Posts You May Like:
Easy Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff
The Spruce / Rachel Riesgraf
Use flank steak or London broil for this easy beef stroganoff that tastes fantastic over cooked egg noodles. It simmers away all day in the crock pot with just a few ingredients and no advance browning of the meat needed. Condensed cream of mushroom soup and light sour cream combine to create the rich and tangy sauce.
You May Like: Bibigo Korean Beef Bone Broth Soup
How Do You Make Homemade Cream Of Mushroom
DIRECTIONS Cut the mushroomsinto slices. Melt butter in large frying pan. Add in onions,garlic,and mushrooms. Blend in 2 T. flour and stir. Add in the chicken broth and heat until slightly thickened while stirring frequently. Stir creamwith additional 1 T. flour and seasonings. Add in creamto soup. Serve and enjoy!
What Makes Hungarian Mushroom Soup Hungarian
Paprika! Paprika at its most basic is simply dried, ground peppers, and it is a spice that is believed to have originated in Hungary as early as the 15th century and is today a defining flavor of Hungarian cuisine. All paprika is not created equal, though. Heres a quick crash course in our favorite smokey, spicy, sweet, pink-ifying spice:
- For our Hungarian mushroom soup, sweet, mild Hungarian paprika is the classic choice. You can look for it at your local grocery store labeled as Hungarian sweet paprika. You can order it online here, too.
- If you prefer a little kick, you can also look for Hungarian Half-Sharp Paprika which is a slightly spicier take on the classic sweet Hungarian paprika.
- Many recipes call specifically for Spanish paprikalike paella, for examplealso known as pimenton, which is a type of paprika made from a slightly different type of pepper than the Hungarian version. While we love its unique smoky depth of flavor, its not right for this Hungarian mushroom soup.
Read Also: Annie’s Organic Tomato Soup
Mushroom Soup Chicken & Rice Casserole
I have been eating this mushroom soup chicken and rice casserole for as long as I can remember. This recipe has chicken pieces of your choice that are baked up in a creamy mushroom soup and rice casserole, with cheese on top! Oh, and my Grandma would always sprinkle crushed saltine crackers on top as well, an awesome retro touch!
Mushroom Soup Chicken And Rice Casserole
Youve probably guessed how to make this casserole from the name. But can you guess how good it tastes?
This is surprisingly hearty and satisfying, so its one to keep for those days when youre hungry but lazy .
And big families will appreciate that its scalable and budget-friendly.
Cheaper cuts of chicken like thighs work well here, as they stay juicy and soak up all the flavor while it simmers in the oven.
Recommended Reading: Olive Garden All You Can Eat Soup And Salad
Creamy Chicken And Mushroom Spaghetti
The thing that makes this spaghetti so delicious is a rich cream of mushroom base: sautéed onion and cremini mushrooms, thickened with flour, and diluted with chicken broth and milk, béchamel-style, coat the pasta perfectly. The thing that makes it easy is that you can use leftover cooked chicken or a shredded rotisserie chicken from the storeor even leave it vegetarian. Either way, the end result is a deeply flavored pasta dish thats perfect for a weeknight dinner. Get our Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Spaghetti recipe.
Hungarian Mushroom Soup For Every Occasion
Because its dreary outside, and you need a boost: Hungarian mushroom soup. Because youre craving something soul-warming and simple: Hungarian mushroom soup. Because you need dinner to be easy tonight: Hungarian mushroom soup. Because you need the meditative, familiar magic of some easy-going chopping and stirring: Hungarian mushroom soup.
Paprika-tinged and soothing, theres something uniquely cozy about this creamy mushroom soup. Theres a wholesomeness to a bowl of soup on a cold, rainyor snowynight. It warms you to cook it, it warms you to eat it, it warms the people you share it with. Bite by bite, the troubles of the day grow more distant. Meaty, earthy mushrooms are lifted up by the herbaceous lightness of dill and the subtle tang of sour cream, while a generous sprinkling of paprika turns the whole fragrant pot a blushing shade of pink. Hungarian mushroom soup is a cool-weather staple in our homes, and we hope itll become one in yours, too.
Also Check: Best Containers For Freezing Soup
How Can I Spice Up Canned Soup
Sometimes all a soup needs is a little extra salt or pepper, but usually it needs more. Try adding minced garlic or fresh basil, parsley, or rosemary to your soupwhatevers available. Acid is also a great idea. To make canned soup more gourmet, squeeze in some lemon juice or top it with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
Ground Beef And Cream Of Mushroom Recipes
Below is an extensive roundup of easy recipes using both cream of mushroom soup and ground beef!
Note: The mushroom variety can easily replaced with cream of chicken or cream of celery soup.
- Create a delicious casserole with ground beef and soup as a base. Add vegetables of your choice, hash browns or other potatoes, cheese or rice.
- Beef stroganoff. Replace beef round steak with cooked ground beef, cook egg noodles and pour the beef mixture over top of them!
- Sloppy Joes. Add the creamy soup to your next batch of savory sandwiches.
- Gravy. Combine these ingredients with a flour or cornstarch slurry to create a savory, easy gravy.
- Homemade Hamburger Helper. Add cooked pasta of your choice to soup and ground meat to create a super easy hamburger helper meal from scratch.
- Meaty macaroni and cheese. Stir these ingredients into your next batch of creamy mac and cheese.
- Use as a topping. Combine the beef and soup in a saucepan and cook over medium heat until smooth. Pour over cooked noodles, white or brown rice, mashed potatoes, baked sweet potatoes or even burgers. Add seasonings as desired. Throw in some sauteed fresh mushrooms for added flavor and texture.
You May Like: 8 Oz Disposable Soup Bowls
What’s Your Favorite Recipe Hack/substitution
With a little creativity, you can either use what you’ve got or whip up your own homemade version in just 15 minutes.
We’d love to know what tricks are up your sleeve! Drop a comment below or head over to our to join the conversation. Tell us: what’s your favorite recipe substitution hack.
Looking for more easy recipe substitutes to try?
Why You’ll Love This Easy Cream Of Mushroom Soup
If you’re looking for a great cream of mushroom soup recipe that is just perfect for every-day eating, this is it! This classic cream of mushroom soup is one of those.
Beyond being incredibly delicious, this soup is ready to eat in just about 20 minutes. Just let that sink in for a few seconds … delicious … soup … 20 minutes. You’ll never open a can of mushroom soup again!
The real beauty of this soup is that you can walk in to the kitchen, throw together just a few ingredients and then walk out with a bowl of delicious and comforting soup in minutes. There are not a lot of recipes you can say that about. It’s simply perfect!
Also Check: What Cream Of Mushroom Soup Is Gluten Free
Campbells Condensed Cream Of Chicken Soup
The key to the recipe is, of course, the Campbells soup. Remember the iconic paintings of Campbells soup cans by Andy Warhol? Yes, those are the ones! They look a bit like this:
Campbells Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup Can
Now, back in the good old days, Campbells used to be the best known and eaten brand of soup that I can remember. But now it does seem to be less easy to get hold of, and certainly, where we live, I, unfortunately, could not find any Campbells condensed cream of chicken soup anywhere, so I had to use a replacement.
Stovetop Creamy Chicken and Rice Tender chicken and mushroom with creamy rice in an easy one pan dinner. So easy and great for busy nights.
When I was growing up there were a few things that were staples in our house. Chicken and rice casserole was one of them. My mom would mix a can of cream of mushroom soup, milk, rice, and lots of poultry seasoning together. Top with chicken breasts and bake until everything was done. I loved the creamy mushroom rice in that dinner.
But today I am making it even better! Not only is there no canned soup involved, but it is ready in about 25 minutes on the stovetop, and all in just one pan! Plus real mushrooms are involved! There is still the milk to make it creamy and delicious.
This post is sponsored by ADA Mideast. All thoughts and opinions are 100% my own.
Creamy Mushroom Pasta Salad
Just cook up some noodles , and when the pasta’s just about cooked, throw some chopped up broccoli, green pepper and onion into the pot of boiling water and finish out the cook time — about 4 minutes. After draining, add tomato, shredded cheese, parsley, basil and oregano. Stir in cream of mushroom soup until the noodles and veggies are well coated, and then refrigerate. Once it’s chilled you’ll have a delicious pasta salad that’s ready to take to any event, or even to feature at a Wednesday night dinner table.
Read Also: Ball Canning Tomato Soup Recipe