Can It Be Made Ahead
It is possible to assemble this Green Bean Casserole a day ahead of time , refrigerate it, then add the onions and baking the next day. The baking time may be slightly longer when preparing ahead, since the dish will be chilled instead of warm going into the oven. I do not suggest making this dish anymore than one day ahead of time before baking.
Are There Any Variations Of Green Bean Casserole
Its always fun to shake up a traditional dish in a way that suits the palate of your guests. It can definitely give a little zip to a dish that some folks may be tired of. Here are some ways to change up green bean casserole just enough to make a new statement!
- Add 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese to the green beans, then sprinkle and additional 1/2 cup on top with the French fried onions.
- Fry up 1/2 pound of bacon until its crispy, then add bacon to the soup mixture, the top of the casserole, or both.
- Add 1 cup of shredded chicken or turkey for a hearty, one dish meal.
- If you like it spicy, add 1/4 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper to the bean mixture.
- For a vegan version, use vegan butter substitute and a heavy cream alternative, such as the new Silk Dairy Free Whipping Cream Alternative
Substitutes For The Cream Of Mushroom Soup In Green Bean Casserole
Green bean casserole is a popular American dish. It is mostly served during thanksgiving as a side dish. It is made with green beans, cream of mushroom soup, and french fried onions. Dorcas Reilly created this unique recipe in 1955. She intended to create a quick and easy recipe out of the American kitchens most common ingredients. One of its most important ingredients is the cream of mushroom soup.
Cream of mushroom soup is a soup from the cream soup family of recipes. It is mostly used in casseroles, hot dishes, and comfort foods. Its major function is to serve as a base ingredient in such dishes. It is mainly made with cream or milk, mushrooms, broth, or both. It can be made very easily, even with a low budget. The cream of mushroom soup has thickening properties. This ingredient gives a savory flavor and has a smooth, creamy texture. It is a mixture of subtle smack-y flavor and a sweet smell. This is due to the mushroom-y flavor in it combined with other ingredients. It has a creamy, meaty taste to it as well.
You May Like: Instant Pot Hash Brown Potato Soup
Can You Prepare Green Bean Casserole Ahead Of Time
- The green bean casserole may be prepared a day in advance. Prepare and bake the shallots and set them aside. Prepare the green beans and sauce as directed, up to the baking step, and fold in 1/2 cup of the crispy shallots. Cover the baking dish and refrigerate the casserole. Store the remaining crispy shallots in a covered container or food storage bag at room temperature. When it’s time to bake, sprinkle the crispy shallots over the casserole and bake as directed.
- You can also freeze the prepared casserole. Bake only enough shallots for the filling. Prepare the green beans and filling as directed and fold in the shallots and turn the mixture into a baking dish. Cover the baking dish and freeze the casserole for up to 2 weeks. About 45 minutes before you plan to bake the casserole, take it out of the freezer to thaw, then prepare and bake the shallots set aside. Cover the casserole with foil and bake it in a 350 F oven for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and top with the shallots. Continue to bake, uncovered, for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the casserole is hot and bubbly and the shallots are crisp.
No Mushroom Green Bean Casserole
Thanksgiving dinner isnt quite complete without a vibrant green bean casserole. And if youre not a fan of mushrooms, this is the green bean casserole for you!
Tons of sautéed onions, a white wine cream sauce, Panko Parmesan topping, and no mushrooms! A rich casserole dish that is loaded with warm flavors.
If youre planning a holiday or Thanksgiving party, Ive got more recipes you might want to check out!
More greens beans? Check out these Green Beans with Almonds and Lemon, so fresh and light!
An by far one of my top appetizers is this Cream Cheese Salsa Dip! Just 5 ingredients and 10 minutes to make this crowd pleaser.
Recommended Reading: Red Lentil Soup Melissa Clark
What To Serve With Green Bean Casserole
Slow Cooker Honey Glazed Ham – Cooks in the slow cooker all day in the best sweet honey glaze.
Crock Pot Cranberry Turkey Breast – One of my family’s Thanksgiving dinner tradition. So incredibly easy to make and it creates the flakiest and most tender turkey ever.
Soft & Fluffy One Hour Rolls – Easy to make and so buttery!
Corn Casserole – Cornbread mix, sour cream, melted butter, corn, and creamed corn make this the best version of this Thanksgiving day classic.
How To Blanch Green Beans
Have you used the cooking method of blanching before?
If not, let me explain what it is and why we do it!
So blanching is the method of boiling then turning off heat and immediately straining that ingredient into a bowl of ice water.
The ice water, or ice bath, acts as a cooking stop. Once the ingredient hits the cold water the cooking process stops immediately. Much faster than simply turning off the burner heat which removes the direct heat but the ingredient would still continue to cook from the residual heat. So when you blanch, you cook only for the exact amount of time needed and then immediately stop the cooking.
We do this for something like these green beans because we want them to be cooked, but not over cooked. So for this recipe youll boil the green beans for 6 minutes, then put them into their ice bath to stop the cooking.
I love how vibrantly green these get after blanching! On a Thanksgiving dinner table where many dishes will be beige and ivory, this green bean casserole is going to add a much needed pop of color.
And dont think just because this has no mushrooms that this is lacking in flavor.
This is anything BUT short on flavor. Onions, garlic, white wine, and Parmesan cheese. These rich warm flavors in a creamy sauce covering the crispy green beans is something I could eat at every Sunday dinner.
I baked this at 400 degrees for 15 minutes and it was the perfectly browned topping I was looking for!
Also Check: Soup Nation Recipes
What Ingredients Do I Need To Make Green Bean Casserole With Canned Green Beans
Butter – I use salted butter in this recipe but unsalted butter works just fine too. Be sure to add a bit more salt if using the unsalted butter.
All-Purpose Flour – This is what helps to thicken the mixture so that you don’t end up with a wet, runny green bean casserole.
Sour Cream – I highly prefer the full-fat regular sour cream in this recipe. You can use the lite sour cream but it tends to have a thinner texture and not as rich taste. So just use what you love!
Dried Minced Onion – These are just dried pieces of onion. They come in a spice type bottle and you will find them by the other spices and seasonings in the grocery store. If you don’t have these already at home, I highly encourage you to buy some. They are cheap and they give such a great flavor to this casserole. Plus, it makes the recipe a no chop recipe!
Canned Green Beans – I prefer green bean casseroles with canned green beans. Why? They’re convenient, usually cheaper, and they cook up perfectly because they are already soft. I can’t tell you how many recipes I tried using fresh green beans that turn out with crispy and crunchy beans, and they take forever to prepare for the casserole. I love the French-style green beans but yes you can use the regular, cut green beans if you prefer that.
French Fried Onions – Get yourself a small can of these. They give that super crispy texture and some great flavor.
Sign Up For Our Free Ultimate Thanksgiving Guide
Ive been hosting or helping to host Thanksgiving for years now and when I say this Ultimate Thanksgiving Guide email is for everyone, I truly mean it. to get one comprehensive email with:
There are just days until Thanksgiving, to be fully prepared!
Recommended Reading: Is Campbell’s Tomato Soup Keto Friendly
How To Make This Easy Green Bean Casserole
Cream Of Chicken Soup
Cream of chicken soup is another great substitute for cream of mushroom soup. It is a delicious and satisfying base for casseroles in general. This will be no different in green bean casserole. The aromatic flavor of the chicken enhances the soups taste and aroma. However, when preparing it, the amount of salt should be reduced. This is due to the presence of salt while preparing chicken meat.
One serving of cream of chicken soup contains 5g sugar, 23g fat, 10g carb, 2g protein, and 0.9g of salt. It also contains about 347kcal, 13g saturates, and 2g fiber. Theres no hard rule when using the cream of chicken as a substitute. Just use it in the same way you would use cream of mushroom soup in your dish.
Also Check: Anderson Hotel Buellton
How To Make Green Bean Casserole Without Mushroom Soup
To make green bean casserole without cream of mushroom soup, first you want to blanch your green beans.
Blanching means cooking in hot water until softened but not fully cooked, about 3 minutes or so. That way the green beans arent raw after cooking the casserole.
Meanwhile, melt the butter in a deep large skillet. Once melted, cook the onion and mushrooms until softened then add the garlic.
Next, make a roux by stirring in the flour then the broth. This will help thicken the filling so its not too soupy.
Now stir in the sour cream, cheese, milk, Worcestershire sauce, green beans, and some of the French fried onions.
Transfer to your casserole dish, top with the remaining French fried onions, then bake at 350F for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
How To Substitute Cream Of Mushroom Soup In Green Bean Casserole
Most people use canned cream of mushroom soup for making green bean casserole because it is very easy and you dont need extra effort for making it. However, some of you may get fed up with all those canned cream of mushroom or any other soup. You wont have to give up your favorite meal of green Bean casserole if you dont want the cream of mushroom soup in that.
Its totally up to you if you want to add cheese to the recipe. However, the original recipe of green Bean casserole does not have cheese in its ingredients but no one wants to eliminate the cheese.
Ingredients For Making Green Bean Casserole
Green Bean casserole is one of the most famous dishes for Thanksgiving and Christmas. You dont even have to question yourself what you are making this Thanksgiving as it is one of the to-go recipes.
The ingredients required for making green bean casserole are fresh mushrooms, fried onions make sure they are French fried onions, broth, a lot of sour creams and the most favorite part is cheese.
Green beans are typically made in winter which is why you have to use frozen green beans. However, the green beans you are using are technically fresh as they are frozen during their peak season.
You May Like: Campbells Chicken And Rice Casserole Recipe
Why Do I Love This Recipe
- Healthy: No canned products full of additives and weird stuff. No fried onions, yet it tastes fantastic.
- Made from scratch, still, it wont take much longer to make as opposed to the classic version.
- Quick: It uses a quick version of a white sauce, there is no need to make a roux, yet the casserole is creamy and comforting. Cooking mushrooms only takes a few minutes.
- Delicious: Green beans smothered in a luscious sauce made with fresh mushrooms and onions and topped with crispy Panko breadcrumbs and Parmesan.
A Different Kind Of Green Bean Casserole
Season 5 ofChristopher Kimball’s Milk Street Televisionairs Saturdays at 3:00 pm.
Green bean casserole has become a classic Thanksgiving side dish, thanks to the easy recipe dreamed up by Dorcas Reilly for the Campbell Soup Company in 1955. But in case you wanted to try something different, with more fresh ingredients, than the green bean-cream of mushroom soup-fried onion casserole, Milk Street has this hearty Italian version that’s filled out with mashed potatoes and fresh mushrooms. There are no French’s onions in sight, but shallot does add some extra oomph.
Read Also: Campbell’s Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipes Rice
How To Make The Best Green Bean Casserole:
Step 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and fill a large saucepan with water and bring to a boil over high heat.
Step 2: Add beans to boiling water and let boil for 5 minutes. Drain beans and add mushrooms then set aside.
Step 3: Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and parsley and cook for a few minutes until onion is tender.
Step 4: Whisk in flour, salt and pepper until well combined then gradually whisk in milk, stirring constantly to avoid lumps.
Step 5: Whisk in sour cream and continue stirring over medium heat until sauce begins to bubble.
Step 6: Fold in green beans and mushrooms until evenly coated.
Step 7: Add half the cheese and fried onions and mix until well combined.
Step 8: Pour green bean mixture into a 9×13-inch baking dish sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle remaining cheese and onions on top.
Step 9: Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Storage Of Green Bean Casserole
Can I make green bean casserole ahead and cook later?
Sure, 2-3 days is safe if stored refrigerated and airtight. Leave off your topping and add at the time of cooking.
How to store cooked green bean casserole?
Cooked green bean casserole can be refrigerated airtight for 3-4 days. It can also be frozen for 3-4 months.
Read Also: Lipton Onion Soup Roasted Potatoes
No Mushroom Green Bean Casserole Recipe
My family’s favorite green bean casserole recipe is always a must-have at my own Thanksgiving table and pretty much any Holiday. I won’t lie… I even make it as a side dish for a nice Sunday dinner. It’s that good.
There are only 3 foods I refuse to eat and mushrooms is one of them! Which is why I love this green bean casserole because there are no mushrooms in it.
It’s perfect for those that have mushroom allergies or if you’re like me and just don’t like them.
I have absolutely nothing against canned soup but when I can make something from scratch that just takes minutes, I happen to love that it can replace a canned ingredient in a recipe.
Sour Cream Mushroom Soup
Sour cream makes casseroles creamy and flavorful. This serves as an amazing substitute for cream of mushroom soup. It is a much healthier version of cream of mushroom soup. It is low in calories and uses low-fat milk as well. This recipe is homemade. When preparing it, substitute the cream in cream of mushroom soup with sour cream. Once this is done, your soup will be ready for use. However, when preparing this, bear in mind that one 10 ounce can of cream in cream of mushroom soup equals one cup of sour cream.
Sour cream has a tangy tart smell and taste. Its rich creaminess is seen in this version of mushroom soup. One serving of this soup contains 155 calories, 17.2g carbohydrates, 20.5mg cholesterol, 103.2mg calcium, and other vitamins. Serve sour cream mushroom soup in green bean casserole the same way you would do with cream of mushrooms soup.
Also Check: Oven Roasted Potatoes With Onion Soup Mix
How To Make It
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Prepare beans: In the meantime, trim and cut the green beans. Add salt to the water and then the beans. Blanch for 3-4 minutes until they lose their raw edge but are still firm. Drain and place them immediately in a bowl with ice water .
- Chop: Wipe the mushrooms clean with kitchen paper and halve them. If larger, quarter them. Chop the onions.
- Cook: Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan, add onion and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook until they turn golden and all the released juices evaporate about 8-10 minutes. Adjust the taste with salt and pepper .
- Mix: Pour the milk into a saucepan and add the flour gradually while whisking all the time.
- Cook while whisking continuously until the sauce thickens it will happen fast.
- Season with salt, pepper, and soy sauce if used. Add a splash of extra milk if the sauce seems too thick.
- Stir in 3 tablespoons grated cheese .
- Add vegetables to the sauce and mix well. Adjust the taste .
- Lightly oil a suitable casserole dish and pour in the mixture.
- Top with Panko and cheese mix.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the Panko is golden, about 35-40 minutes.