Pro Tips For Baked Potato Soup
- Avoid using extra sharp or aged cheese, stick to mild or sharp orange cheddar if possible. Heluva Sharp Cheddar Cheese is my brand of choice as it has great flavor and melts smoothly.
- Avoid using bagged shredded cheese, as it contains cellulose which prevents the cheese from melting smoothly.
- Milk may be used instead of half and half, just note that the broth wont be quite as thick. Microwave the milk for 45 seconds prior to adding it to avoid curdling.
- Plain Greek Yogurt can be used instead of sour cream.
- Unsalted butter and reduced sodium chicken broth may be used for lower sodium content.
- Cook the potatoes separately in water instead of in the soup. Its not only a time saver as they can cook while the bacon cooks, but it also removes a bit of excess starch which prevents the soup from becoming gluey.
- If preferred, you can use an immersion blender to further blend the soup. It will appear thinner at first, but will continue to thicken upon standing.
Loaded Baked Potato Soup Recipe
I was so surprised at how quickly this comfort food recipe came together.
She has a brilliant tip microwave your potatoes to cut down on the cooking time. I quickly zapped my spuds in the microwave while I was cooking up some bacon on the stove top. Before I knew it, the soup was ready!
The only thing I did change about this recipe was that I left some of the potato skins on the potatoes. We love the texture of them and I liked how it gave the soup a little more depth.
Its obviously totally optional and would be amazing either way.
But seriously guys, you need this book! Its filled to the brim with not only 100 mouthwatering recipes, but also some super cute and totally do-able crafts to go along with them! Im super excited about the possibility of these easy crafts making me look like a modern day Martha Stewart to all my friends.
Its the little things.
Dont hesitate. Buy this book now. Get it on your Christmas wish-list! Or better yet, buy one for someone that you love! You wont regret it!
What Kind Of Potatoes To Use For Loaded Potato Soup
Youll want to use a waxy potato, such as Yukon golds for this soup. These potatoes, or red or yellow new potatoes, hold their shape well when cooked until tender, and wont fall apart as much as all-purpose potatoes will. Having said that, if you have all-purpose potatoes on hand, use them, and just know that the chunks will fall apart a bit as the soup finishes cooking.
Also Check: Where Is Onion Soup Mix In Walmart
How To Make Loaded Baked Potato Soup
To make loaded baked potato soup:
How To Make Potato Soup
You will find full instructions and additional details on the printable recipe card below, but you will:
Recommended Reading: How To Make Onion Dip With Soup Mix
What Can You Add To Potato Soup
This baked potato soup recipe has bacon, cheese, sour cream, and green onions which are some of my favourite mix-ins for potatoes!
Baked Potato Soup is extremely versatile making it the perfect way to use up any leftover ingredients in your fridge.
Add in any of the following:
- Proteins: rotisserie chicken, leftover ham, cooked and drained sausage
- Vegetables: corn, red bell peppers, leftover roasted vegetables finely chopped
- Cheeses: change them up or use what you have on hand. Be sure to include at least one sharp flavored cheese such as cheddar or parmesan.
Slow Cooker Loaded Baked Potato Soup
Loaded baked potato soup recipe is one of my very favorites! When it is cold outside slow cooker soups are just what is needed to stay warm inside. It is my favorite all time soup that is so simple to make and the slow cooker does all the work. Soup is one of my favorite go-to recipes in the winter and this loaded baked potato soup recipe is at the top of that list. Soup is comfort in a bowl!
Potato soup is one of my favorite soups. It is thick, creamy and hearty! This is the ultimate loaded baked potato soup recipe! It is loaded with tender, diced potatoes in a creamy soup broth that is thick and chunky. This slow cooker soup is made for the potato lovers. This baked potato soup can be blended together and made smoother too! The flavor is amazing!
You May Like: Beefy Lipton Onion Soup Mix
Loaded Baked Potato Soup
Potato Soup is one of the most comforting soups you can ever have! This potato soup recipe is loaded with crispy bacon, soft golden potatoes, cheese, and green onions.
When its cold outside, comfort foods and warm soups are just what we need to warm up. Loaded baked potato soup checks all of those boxes! Its easy to make, has an amazing flavor, and its comforting for your tummy and soul.
This soup has the best of the baked potato flavors in all in one comforting bowl. There is the hearty based of potato soup and all finished with bacon, sharp cheddar cheese sour cream, and green onions.
This homemade potato soup, is so much better than the one you can get at Panera or any other restaurant. Plus, you will have the whole batch all to yourself. You can even make a double batch for a big family dinner!
Tips For Perfect Creamy Potato Soup
- Cut your potatoes into pieces no larger than ¾ and try to keep them around the same size so that they cook at the same time. Nothing worse than biting into a crisp, raw-inside chunk of potato!
- To make this soup nice and creamy, I recommend pureeing about half of it either by using an immersion blender or by transferring a portion of the soup to a blender, pureeing, and then stirring the pureed soup back into the pot . If you want a completely smooth soup you can puree all of it, but I prefer to have a few actual pieces of potato, so I think pureeing half gives it the best taste and texture.
- Dont return the bacon to the pot until after you have pureed some of the soup. Its best not to blend the bacon .
- The ancho chili powder is, in my humble opinion, a must and gives this soup the most perfect depth of flavor. I blend it into the potato soup and also sprinkle it on top before serving. I recommend adding just a ¼ teaspoon and then taste testing before adding more.
This would make a great comfort food for this cold and windy weekend , and while I dont follow football at all I do know that this would be great to make ahead and enjoy during the big game this weekend.
Who really cares about football when you can make yourself a Super Bowl of soup! OK OK Im sorry, enough of that!
Treat yourself to a FREE E-BOOK!
Don’t Miss: Parks & Nash Bone Broth Soup
The Best Loaded Baked Potato Soup
This Loaded Baked Potato Soup recipe is the ULTIMATE comfort soup! Loaded with crispy bacon, sour cream, sharp cheddar cheese, and green onions, this soup is quicker to make than a baked potato and is perfect for a crowd or leftovers throughout the week!
We love recreating our favorite meals from restaurants, and Panera Breads soups like this Loaded Baked Potato Soup are just hard to beat! Our Better-Than-Panera Broccoli Cheese Soup is hands down better than the real deal, and when you serve it in our Homemade Bread Bowls, its like youre eating out without leaving the house!
How To Top Loaded Baked Potato Soup
The toppings are what makes this soup loaded, so dont be shy! Think about anything you would pile on a hot baked potato: sour cream, crumbled bacon, shredded cheddar or other cheese, snipped fresh chives. Anything you would like to see on your baked potato is fair game for this soup.
This Loaded Baked Potato Soup recipe is creamy, soothing , and loaded with chunks of tender potatoes.
- Sliced fresh chives
Also Check: Best Store Bought Soups For Weight Loss
The Ultimate Creamy Potato Soup
An easy and delicious creamy potato soup recipe that can be made in just one pot! Loaded with bacon and creamy potato goodness, this is a favorite comfort food in my household.
Something savory today!
Savory, creamy, and loaded with bacon, sour cream, and cheese. You guys already know that we dont exactly do health food around here, right?
Even when Im not sharing desserts, the food is always comfort food, and thats usually best served with extra cheese and usually comes with a few calories. Lets not think about that too much, alright?
I know I mentioned to you guys that I had this potato soup recipe for you back when I posted my Oreo Balls I made it when Zach had a bad cold and I havent stopped thinking about it since .
Zach prefers to eat healthy most of the time , so the soup was a good break from baked chicken breast, but this definitely isnt an every night kind of meal in our house.
Potato soup is definitely on the menu for this weekend, though its so frigid outside Ive convinced myself that I need soup, specifically creamy potato soup, to survive. Potato soup makes me dramatic, evidently.
If youre in the midst of a cold spell yourself I think youre going to enjoy this creamy potato soup as much as we do. Read on for some tips on how to make it!
More Easy Soup Recipes:
15 Best Fast and Easy Soup Recipes Warm up with these easy soup recipes! Most are ready in under 30 minutes and perfect for busy weeknights! Hearty, comforting, and so good!
Loaded Cheesy, Bacon, Corn, and Potato Chowder Loaded with all the good stuff! Bacon, cheese, and more! Hearty, comforting, fast, and easy! A dinnertime favorite thats perfect for busy nights!
Loaded Cheesy Chicken Potato Chowder Potatoes, chicken, carrots, corn and more! Thick, creamy, rich, and wonderfully cheesy! Fast and easy comfort food that everyone loves!
The Best Broccoli Cheese Soup Make the best soup of your life at home in 1 hour! Beyond words amazing! One of the most popular recipes on my blog and gets RAVE reviews!
Easy 30-Minute Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup Classic, comforting, and tastes just like grandma made but way easier and faster! This soup is AMAZING and itll be your new favorite recipe!
Easy 30-Minute Homemade White Chicken Chili Hearty, healthy, loaded with tender chicken, and packed with bold flavor! Fast and easy comfort food that everyone loves! Itll be on rotation all winter!
Easy 30-Minute Homemade Chicken Tortilla Soup Chicken, tomatoes, corn, black beans, avocado, cheese, and addictively crunchy tortilla strips! Fast, easy weeknight meal, and better than from a restaurant!
Easy 30-Minute Minestrone Soup Homemade is always better and this soup is amazing! The best minestrone ever! Perfect for busy weeknights and its healthy!
Recommended Reading: Red Potatoes And Lipton Onion Soup Mix
Tips And Substitutions For A Perfect Soup
- Chop the potatoes into even pieces to ensure even cooking.
- We love leaving the skins on the potatoes, for even more baked potato flavor. If you prefer, remove the skins before mashing the potatoes.
- For a completely smooth soup, peel the potatoes and mash until completely smooth.
- If the bacon makes more than 2 tablespoons of fat, only reserve 2 tablespoons to ensure the flour thickens the soup correctly.
- For vegetarian loaded baked potato soup, omit the bacon. Add 2 tablespoons of butter to the onions and garlic while sauteeing.
- Whisk in the chicken broth slowly but constantly so no lumps form.
- Make sure the soup cooks at a simmer, not a boil. Milk has a knack for burning if the heat is too high.
- Stir in the cheese right before serving. It just needs to melt, not cook.
Whats The Best Cheese For The Ultimate Loaded Baked Potato Soup Recipe
For the cheese, I prefer a good, strong New York or Wisconsin Sharp Cheddar cheese. I want the flavor of the cheese to really stand out instead of shrinking into the background of the creamy soup base. If your palette does not prefer sharp cheddar cheese, try a mild shredded cheddar or even a Colby jack. If youd like to add a hint of spice go for a jalapeno jack cheese. Its your soup, dress it up how you please!
Recommended Reading: Amy’s Low Sodium Lentil Vegetable Soup
Other Comforting Soup Recipes
If youve got leftover holiday ham, chop it up and toss it in a pot with some vegetables and stock to make Ham and Potato Soup. Its finished with milk and white cheddar for a perfectly creamy texture.
Or, try my just-as-creamy Potato Leek Soup for a more sophisticated flavor.
Chicken Gnocchi Soup is another great comfort food option for cold winter nights. Make it completely from scratch or take a few shortcuts. Either way, it will turn out delicious!
If you made any of my recipes and shared them on , make sure to tag me @willcookforsmiles and #willcookforsmiles so I can see all the things you tried!
Dont forget to , so you wont miss any new recipes.
How To Make The Best Loaded Baked Potato Soup
3. Sprinkle flour. Next, sprinkle the flour over the onions and garlic. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes until the flour is absorbed.4. Slowly add liquids and potatoes. Gradually add the chicken broth while stirring. Add the milk and cream along with the potatoes, salt, and pepper.5. Simmer & blend! Bring the loaded baked potato soup to a simmer, then reduce the heat to medium and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender. Transfer 2-3 cups of the soup to a blender and cover it with a dishtowel. Blend until smooth, then return to the pot. If you prefer a creamier, smoother soup with fewer chunks, you can blend more, or even all, of the soup. Dont put the lid on the blender or pressure will build up from the heat while blending.
6. Add sour cream, cheese, and bacon. Next, remove the soup from the heat then stir in the sour cream, cheddar cheese, and half of the reserved bacon.7. Garnish and serve! Finally, serve with the remaining bacon, green onions, additional cheese, and sour cream on top.
Also Check: Lipton Beefy Onion Soup Mix Ingredients
How To Make Baked Potato Soup
This loaded baked potato soup recipe is loaded with flavor from bacon, onions and cheese, everything is melded together to make a rich creamy soup! Its easy to make, heres how:
Top with your favorite toppings including green onions, sour cream, crisp bacon and cheese!
Leftover Loaded Baked Potato Soup
This soup reheats beautifully for a comforting warm bowl whenever youd like. Dont add toppings to the soup if you plan to have leftovers.
Allow the soup to completely cool before placing it into air tight containers. It will last for up to 5 days in the fridge.
To reheat, place it on the stove over medium heat until warm. Alternatively, place it in a microwave safe bowl in the microwave for 2-3 minutes. Then, add the toppings!
Loaded baked potato soup doesnt freeze well. Potatoes and milk both change texture when frozen, and potatoes tend to dry out soups when frozen like a sponge. Its best to enjoy this soup within 5 days after making it.
Recommended Reading: How To Make Knorr Vegetable Soup Mix
Can I Make This In A Slow Cooker
I love homemade soup, but sometimes I dont have the time to stay in my kitchen watching and stirring all day. Thats when I bring out my beloved slow cooker!
This recipe can definitely be modified for a crockpot. I would suggest cooking the potatoes on the stove first with the broth and water and transfer them to the slow cooker with the milk, bason, green onions, and seasonings.
Cook this on low for about 5-6 hours, or until the potatoes have broken down, or about 4 hours on high. Add the cheese right before serving and youre done!