Why This Recipe Works
- You can make this entire soup recipe in one pot!
- This healthy cream of mushroom soup is much lower in fat and calories than a regular version of cream of mushroom soup without sacrificing any of the delicious flavor!
- Super quick and easy recipe that is a great start to any meal or can be served as the main dinner dish with some delicious crusty bread. I also love this soup served over Forbidden Black Rice for a super hearty meal.
- You can easily make this recipe vegetarian by using vegetable or mushroom stock.
How To Make This Recipe
- In small dish, mix light sour cream and flour. Set aside.
- STEP 1: In soup pan, add extra virgin olive oil and onions. Sauté on medium/high heat until edges start to turn golden brown .
- STEP 2: Add garlic and sauté for about 10-20 seconds .
- STEP 3: Add broth/stock and mushrooms to pot.
- STEP 4: Sprinkle spices on top and stir to mix.
- STEP 5: Bring mixture to a boil and cook until mushrooms are soft .
- STEP 6: Transfer mixture to a heat safe bowl.
- STEP 7: Allow to cool slightly, about 2-3 minutes. Add sour cream/flour mixture.
- STEP 8: Mix thoroughly and enjoy!
- PRO TIP :To make your soup extra creamy, transfer about ½ cup on the hot liquid into a separate heat safe dish. Mix in your sour/cream flour mixture until mixed thoroughly. Gradually add in the rest of the hot liquid mixture and keep stirring. Add the remainder of mixture and finish stirring. This process tempers the mixture so the hot liquid and sour cream so not separate and makes for an extra creamy mushroom soup.
Healthy Cream Of Mushroom Soup
Healthy cream of mushroom soup can be made in the pressure cooker or stovetop without any processed ingredients. Its light, super creamy and gets its creaminess from a secret ingredient!
It’s just me and my bowl of healthy cream of mushroom soup today. Because we are celebrating October and the fact that it finally feels like we can put on a cozy sweater and boots. And because I’m just a plain and simple mushroom soup fan.
Gosh! The number of times we eat mushroom soup is unbelievable. We don’t even need a reason. Every time I ask Denver what he wants to eat – it’s always something with mushrooms. And because we can make this soup in under 29 minutes it’s always a win. For the 29 minute victory, you will need a pressure cooker of course, but this can be made pretty quickly without one as well.
Also Check: Pea Soup Andersen’s Carlsbad
Need To Sneak In More Vegetables In Your Diet This Keto Cream Of Mushroom Soup Is A Must
The wonderful thing about making your own cream of mushroom soup is that its a great way to sneak in more vegetables in your diet. This is surely a recipe to add to your list especially when youre getting your family to increase their intake their vegetables. Now, who wouldnt want that?
You can say goodbye to those cans laced with chemicals and misleading ingredients. You just might have the ingredients for your recipe in your kitchen right now. Try this out for yourself and youll be glad you made the switch!
Storing Your Soup Leftovers
One of the most frequently asked questions on my soup recipes is: Can I freeze this soup? YES! In fact, I don’t know a soup you can’t freeze. You’ll find many will separate once defrosted, but when I heat it again all the way through, it always combines the way it originally was.
For easy storing, I used soup mugs with lids like these. But make sure you make a not on them in case you forget. If I’m not cooking, I get so involved DIY-ing at The Carpenter’s Daughter and it’s so easy for me to forget what I made. I never seem to learn.
Some readers line their soup pots with food bags, then freeze and remove the frozen soup so they can keep using the containers again and again.
Read Also: Soup Delivery Services
Add Mushrooms And Seasoning:
This will seem like a lot of mushrooms when you add them to the pot, but within a few minutes, they will cook down to a much more reasonable amount. Adding in the salt and seasoning will help them release their juices and wake up the flavors in the dry thyme.
- Deglaze with Sherry:
- Sherry is very strong in flavor and the alcohol needs to be cooked off before the other liquid is added.
- Add the sherry in and let it simmer until it is dry or au sec. You dont want extra liquid in the pot at this point or the flour will get gummy.
How To Make Cream Of Mushroom Soup
It’s such an easy recipe! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
1. Start by cooking the mushrooms and garlic in butter with some salt.
2. Addthe remaining ingredients except for the cream and cornstarch. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Puree the soup using an immersion blender. Stir in the cream , heat and serve.
Also Check: Lipton Pot Roast Recipe Oven
Cream Of Mushroom Soup
Theres nothing better than a creamy mushroom soup once the weather starts getting cooler. If mushroom isnt your thing, I also have a wonderful Cream of Asparagus Soup, my Dads Famous Cauliflower Soup and a creamy Carrot Ginger Soup.
I first posted this recipe December 2010, back when I was still working a full time job and running home to cook and take photos. Most of those photos are pretty bad, so I am slowly re-shooting them. The photo just didnt do this soup justice its so flavorful and light at the same time, even my teen who could care less about eating light often requests this.
And, its so simple to make, the shitake mushrooms give this soup incredible flavor, I wouldnt substitute them. If you are watching your sodium, you can certainly use less bouillon or replace it with chicken broth.
How To Make Homemade Cream Of Chicken Or Mushroom Soup
This homemade cream of chicken soup recipe is a game changer! Its easy and so much healthier than the canned condensed stuff, made with only a few wholesome ingredients. And in my opinion, it tastes worlds better too! Heres how to make cream of chicken soup and homemade cream of mushroom soup worth kicking the canned stuff for.
Ill admit it. Up until this point I either avoided most recipes calling for cream of mushroom soup, or I used it and felt a little guilty. I mean, most recipes calling for cream of chicken soup and the like are totally comforting and delicious.But I tried to use it sparingly, which means less comfort foods.
But I have good news! Now you can have all the comfort and taste of condensed soup casseroles without the guilt!
And the second best news? Its super easy. And it tastes BETTER than the canned stuff. I know, seems too good to be true. But this is real, everyone! Ive tasted it and cant go back.
Healthier cream of chicken soup
Whats in this soup, you ask? Only four wholesome ingredients Im sure you already have! A little butter, flour, milk, and chicken broth. Thats it!
Sure, its got butter, but fat isnt all bad! We need some to help us absorb all the goodness of the veggies we eat. So dont let the butter deter you.
Heres the breakdown: store-bought cream of chicken soup contains 2,175 mg of sodium per can. This recipe of homemade contains 610 mg of sodium. Thats 3.5 times less sodium homemade is insanely better!
You May Like: Anderson Hotel Buellton
Diet Recipes Autumnal Flavours In This Cream Of Mushroom Soup
Cream of Mushroom soup not an obvious 5:2 diet soup recipe. But its the first of September, it feels like the start of Autumn and its a year since I first started doing the 5:2 diet and since I started posting my 5:2 diet recipes on London-Unattached. Ive lost 12kg and I am at a bit of a plateau. But, rather excitingly, Im off to a Bootcamp in Spain in early November! Thats really focused my efforts to lose a bit more weight and get fit so with some of the lovely ladies in the 5:2 diet Facebook group, I am doing the 30-day squat challenge. Day one today! It feels a little ironic that it takes being booked on a get fit week to kickstart me into getting fit at home. A bit like my mother who used to send us all to tidy our rooms while she diligently cleaned the loo and mopped the kitchen floor BEFORE the cleaner came. But, I suspect many of us do the same?
The answer is most definitely yes. It works really well and as I suspected doesnt split when it is warmed through. While Id like to hope that Id still pick the full-fat version if I was taking part in a blind test, this low-calorie version is a pretty good substitute. And by using quark you can make a creamy mushroom soup that is around 65 calories for a bowlful! Perfect for a 5:2 diet fast day this soup is filling and comforting.
Add Broth And Simmer To Thicken:
Next add in the broth.
- Youll want to stir it immediately to help the flour dissolve into the broth.
- As it comes up to a simmer, keep stirring to make sure the flour doesnt clump or stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Once it comes to a simmer the starches in the flour will gelatinize and the soup will appear more thick.
Recommended Reading: Renal Diet Soups
S To Make This Cream Of Mushroom Recipe
- 1. Saute the onion and garlic in the butter until starting to brown and soften, 4 to 6 minutes.
- 2. Add the mushrooms, salt, pepper and thyme and saute until the mushrooms are reduced down and most of the liquid is evaporated, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- 3. Add sherry and rosemary and cook until the liquid is evaporated.
- 4. Add the flour and stir to combine.
- 5. Add the broth and stir to mix the flour into the soup. Bring to a simmer while stirring often.
- 6. Simmer until thickened, stirring often.
- 7. Add milk and return to a simmer, stirring often.
- 8. Ladle into bowls, top with chives and drizzle with truffle oil.
Skinny Cream Of Mushroom Soup
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook until softened, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook additional 1-2 minutes, stirring so it doesn’t burn.
- Add all mushrooms and sautee. Stir in salt, pepper, sage, and rosemary. Allow to cook for 2-3 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour and wine until all lumps are gone. Stir into pot and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 cup chicken stock with Greek yogurt. Stir Greek yogurt mixture and remaining chicken stock into the pot.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Allow to simmer at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Portion into bowls and serve warm. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley, if desired.
Don’t Miss: Buellton Split Pea Soup
What If I Don’t Have A Soup Maker
Soup is incredibly easy to make. And once you start making your own, you’ll start turning your nose up at tinned. I specifically created this recipe to fit in my soup maker because, my Morphy Richards one will only work with a total quantity that lies between 1300ml and 1600ml.
They’re a handy machine that blends so much better with less splatter than a stick blender. But, if you want to use a basic pan, multi cooker, pressure cooker or slow cooker, then you can still make it with no problems.
Soup makers are just “nice” to have. However, if you don’t make them very often, then I’d stick to what you have for now and see how you get on.
How Do You Freeze Mushroom Soup
If you’re planning on putting some of this soup in the freezer, may I recommend a few tips to get your soup in and out of the freezer maintaining the taste and texture you expect.
You May Like: Campbell’s Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
Did You Make This Recipe
Let me know what you think!
Leave a rating in the comments below and let me know that you like this recipe.
If you already like mushrooms, this creamy mushroom soup will become your favorite mushroom soup.
If you are as shy as I was before, I hope it will be your moment of transformation.
As I learned in France, it is never too late to love new things.
How Long Does This Mushroom Soup Keep
It keeps well in the fridge for up to 3 days. I wouldnt advise to freeze them though mushroom soups thickened with a flour-based roux might be a bit stodgy when thawed, theyre ok, but not at their best.This healthy mushroom soup is so good, hearty, and guaranteed to please every mushroom lover!
If you make this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it or tag a photo #theclevermeal on Instagram. I would love to hear from you! x
Read Also: Soup Bone Dog Treat
The Ingredients You’ll Need
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this tasty cream of mushroom soup. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below. Here’s an overview of what you’ll need:
Unsalted butter: For cooking the mushrooms and garlic. I love using creamy European butter. But any butter will be great.
Fresh mushrooms: I normally use cremini mushrooms. White mushrooms are fine too. Sometimes when I’m out of fresh mushrooms but still crave this soup, I use a package of frozen mushrooms, as shown in the video. That works too, and you can add them frozen to the pot. They’ll release more liquid than fresh mushrooms, but I haven’t found that to be a problem.
Minced garlic: Mince it yourself, or use the stuff that comes in a jar. Both work.
Kosher salt and black pepper: If using fine salt, you should reduce the amount you use, or the soup could end up too salty.
Chicken broth: Store-bought is fine. But when I have homemade chicken broth, I use that instead.
Dried thyme: Make sure it’s fresh! A stale spice can easily ruin a dish.
Heavy cream: I tried once to use half-and-half instead, and decided that heavy cream is much better.
Cornstarch: I use it to thicken the soup. If you’d rather not use it, another option is to puree the soup in batches in a stand blender . The mushrooms will be better pureed, and this will considerably thicken the soup without any added thickeners.
More Classic Soup Recipes To Try This Season
My Minestrone Soup is probably one of my most popular soup recipes of all time. It always wins rave reviews.
This Creamy White Chicken Chili is also a meal prep recipe for the slow cooker!
This Italian Wedding Soup is also a comfort food favorite around here.
If you love creamy soup this Instant Pot Cream of Cauliflower Soup would be a top one to try too.
For a Mexican flair try this Healthy Taco Soup to mix it up!
Want more soup ideas? Try these 15 healthy soup recipes.
Let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a star rating and review below!
Also Check: Knorr Veg Soup Recipes
Low Fat Mushroom Soup Recipe
This Low Fat Mushroom Soup brings the most comforting and warm meal to your table. This creamy soups flavor is earthy, rich and it happens to be on the skinny-ish side too. Low Fat Mushroom Soup uses fat-free evaporated milk to create a lighter version of the soup classic. Enjoy the delicious creamy taste of Cream of Mushroom Soup with half the calories!
Skinny Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe by Not Enough Cinnamon
Milk products are simply amazing! Take the evaporated milk for instance. Its a wonderful way to lighten up a dish that calls for cream and thats precisely what were doing here, with this Skinny Cream of Mushroom soup!
Honestly, you wont miss the heavy cream in this Skinny Cream of Mushroom Soup at all. Its the same deliciousness, but you save hundreds of calories. Dont you love that? A creamy comforting mushroom soup, without all the calories.
We were thinking how fun it would be to blind test some people and let them taste this Skinny Creamy of Mushroom Soup along with the regular one that calls for heavy cream. Were sure no one would tell the difference! No one will believe you created such a dynamic dish in under 30 minutes!