How To Store Homemade Tomato Basil Soup
- In the refrigerator: store any leftover tomato basil soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4-5 days. Reheat it back on the stovetop or in the microwave.
- In the freezer: add the leftover soup to a freezer-friendly, airtight container and place it in the freezer for up to 3 months. To reheat, let the sauce thaw in the fridge before heating it through on the stovetop or in the microwave.
How To Make Tomato & Basil Soup
Heat Start by heating the olive oil in a large pot.
Veggies Chop the onions and garlic and then sweat them in the olive oil until they are translucent.
Key Ingredients Add the basil and let it cook until its wilted. Next, add in the tomatoes and let them simmer for 40 minutes.
Puree Carefully puree the tomato mixture in small batches and add them back into the pot.
Remaining Ingredients Add in vegetable stock and heavy cream to the pot and let it simmer until it reaches its proper consistency.
Season Check the seasoning and add salt and pepper to fit your taste.
Serve Pour the tomato soup into bowls and garnish with croutons and parmesan cheese
Keto-Friendly This tomato and basil soup recipe is Keto-friendly for those who are on a low carb diet. Just be sure to leave off the croutons. )
How To Freeze Tomato Basil Soup:
Don’t Miss: Quick Hash Brown Potato Soup
How To Make Tomato Basil Soup
Making this tomato basil soup recipe is the perfect activity for a cool September afternoon. Your kitchen will fill with the scent of roasting tomatoes, simmering thyme, and fresh basil. Suffice it to say, when the soups done, youll be more than ready to eat.
First, roast the tomatoes. Slice them in half vertically and arrange them cut-side-up on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Drizzle them with olive oil and season them with salt and pepper. Then, roast them at 350° for an hour, until theyre still juicy but starting to shrivel.
Next, sauté the aromatics. Cook the onion, carrot, and garlic in a large pot over medium heat for about 8 minutes, or until they soften.
Then, simmer. Add the roasted tomatoes, broth, vinegar, and thyme leaves to the pot, bring to a boil, and simmer for 20 minutes to allow the flavors to develop.
Finally, blend! Allow the tomato basil soup to cool slightly. Transfer it to a blender and puree until smooth, working in batches if necessary. When the soup is smooth, add the basil leaves and pulse until just combined. Enjoy!
Creamy Tomato Basil Soup With Parmesan Is 1000x Better Than Any Canned/carton Variety Is Bursting With Flavor And Requires No Roasting And Hardly Any Chopping
I first posted this Tomato Basil Soup recipe way back in February 2014 my first MONTH of blogging! This tomato soup continues to be a family favorite and deserved a photo makeover because everyone deserves this deliciousness in their lives! This easy Tomato Basil Soup is creamy comfort food loaded with pureed tomatoes, carrots, celery, onions, garlic and basil for multi-dimensional flavor and layers of YUM! You can never go wrong at dinner time with this easy, make ahead friendly, satisfying Tomato Basil Soup!
Read Also: Potato Soup With Frozen Hash Browns
How To Make Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup
- I use a humble potato to thicken this soup. Of course you can leave it out if you wish, but is adds a thick and creamy texture and compliments the tomato flavour nicely. However, you can use thickened cream if you wish!
- If using the potato, fry it along with diced onion and red bell peppers , until the onion is transparent and the potatoes are beginning to crisp up adds even more flavour into this soup .
- Pour in your broth/stock and simmer the potatoes until theyre soft.
- Add the tomatoes once theyre done add the basil blitz with a stick blender, and viola! SOUP! No additives, preservatives or artificial colours/flavours, and homemade soup done in less than 30 minutes.
Serve with grilled cheese or cheesy toasts whichever works for you.
And dip away, my friends.
So thick and cream Roasted Tomato Basil Soup!
How To Make Secret Ingredient Tomato Basil Soup:
The first step in making the best homemade tomato basil soup recipe is roasting the tomatoes, onions, carrots, and garlic. Once youve done that, its as simple as adding the ingredients to a blender and blending them with some of your stock until its smooth. Keep in mind that if youve got a powerful blender like a Vitamix or a Blendtec, itll blend your soup up nicely! If you have a traditional blender, it may take a little longer so you may want to do it in several batches. Once blended, youll add all the remaining ingredients to the soup pot and then bring it to a full simmer before serving.
This process can be even simpler if youve got an immersion stick blender. I made this purchase a few years ago, and it has made life so much simpler. If youve got one too, you can add the roasted veggies right into the stock pot along with all the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. Then let it heat all the way through, and youre ready to serve.
You May Like: Potato Soup With Frozen Hash Browns
Secret Ingredient Tomato Basil Soup
This post may contain affiliate links. Please check our privacy and disclosure policy.
Enjoy a creamy, luxurious tomato basil soup without the guilt! There is no cream, sugar, or any unnecessary additives in my Tomato Basil Soup! Plus, the secret ingredient makes this soup so so good!
What you WONT find in this homemade tomato soup is a bunch of cream or sugar.
I havent been able to get this creamy, luxurious, sweet, and comforting soup out of my mind for weeks. Tomatoes are still hanging around my farmers market, and Im taking advantage! I cant wait to make tons of salads, soups, and other goodies with them before we go into the deep freeze of winter.
If youve been following LSJ since the beginning, you know Ive done a tomato basil bisque in the past. My ashamed self is admitting to you that I had to put cream in it to make it taste as good as it did last time. In my defense, I did make that soup when the tomatoes werent quite at their best. Which meant less natural flavor and that means I needed extra herbs to help make the tomato flavor a little noticeable. But never, ever, ever again.
I cant wait to make a big batch of this every week to have on hand for lunches and midday snacks. Yes, tomato soup is perfect with a little bit of grilled cheese when you need a little something to nibble on. Not to mention that its exactly what you need if youve caught the early fall sniffles.
Recipe Tips And Tricks
- How to blend hot soup: The easiest way to blend hot soup is with an immersion blender. You just stick it directly into the pot and blend. You can also scoop the soup into a stand-up blender with a ladle or measuring cup. Be careful when you blend as the heat will build up pressure in the blender. Depending on your blender, you may have to ensure it has some way to vent, but cover the hole with a paper or kitchen towel to prevent a splattering mess.
- How to store: Store leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days.
- How to freeze tomato soup: I highly recommend batching and freezing this recipe. I also suggest portioning out the soup into individual portions before freezing. I love using souper cubes to freeze the soup into portions and then transferring the frozen cups into a freezer bag or airtight container.
- How to reheat: Reheat on the stove over medium-low heat for 5-10 minutes until warmed through. You may have to add a splash of water to thin out the soup if it has thickened too much when storing. If reheating from frozen, allow the soup to thaw first.
Don’t Miss: Potato Soup With Frozen Hash Browns
Dairy Free Options For Tomato Basil Soup:
If you are looking for dairy free options, you are in luck! Plant based products have come a long way, and you can now find dairy free cream in specialty stores, typically right next to the standard dairy cream. If you cant find any, many grocery stores have their own vegetarian/vegan section where they keep everything, or you may need to visit a natural food store.
If you like this recipe, you may be interested in these other delicious classic soup recipes:
How To Customize This Tomato Basil Soup Recipe
While this fresh tomato basil soup recipe is vegan and dairy free, there are tons of delicious ways to make it even creamier and richer.
- Add some whole milk or heavy cream for a super creamy texture.
- Keep this tomato basil soup vegan & dairy free by adding creamy regular or light coconut milk.
- Add a sprinkle of parmesan cheese for tangy, cheesy goodness.
- Add a tablespoon or two of butter or vegan butter for even richer flavor.
You May Like: Lipton Onion Soup Mix Carbs
Homemade Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
The best homemade tomato basil soup recipe made with roasted fresh tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, caramelized onions and optional add-ins for extra creaminess. This tomato basil soup recipe is full of flavor and the best way to use up fresh tomatoes from your garden! Youll never want to go back to the canned stuff after you try this.
When I was younger, I despised tomato soup. The flavors never seemed to call for me, nor did I ever crave grilled cheese.
My favorite was Moms chunky beef stew that simmered and bubbled on the stovetop for hours in our small yellow duplex kitchen back in Minneapolis. It wasnt until high school that I began to crave the comfort of creamy tomato soup after Mom started buying Progressos hearty tomato.
In fact, I remember us making cheesy pepper jack quesadillas and canned tomato soup on a frequent basis. Mom worked a lot to support our family and during my teenage years, the two of us didnt have much time to enjoy meals together. Quick and easy was exactly what we needed.
Today, Tony and I still buy canned or boxed soup. We have nights where were depleted of energy and need something quick and easy to nourish ourselves. Even though I have a food blog, it doesnt mean Im making dinner every single night.
Sometimes my days are focused on baking, snacks or breakfast, and by the end of the day, the last thing Im thinking about is what to eat for dinner.
However, when I do have time to make a good tomato soup, I get a little giddy inside.
Why You’ll Love Tomato Basil Soup
- Tomatoes are basically Italian medicine. Okay, medicine might be a stretch. But whoever said an apple a day keeps the doctor away just hadnt discovered the glory of Roma tomatoes yet. They have antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals that support heart health and can reduce your risk for cancer!
- Its fresh andcheap. I love tomato basil soup because it saves me money , andits better for me than buying the packaged, processed version in stores that usually contain refined sugar. Its a win-win.
- Meal prep for a fast frozen dinner. Prepping and freezing meals is one of the best things you can do for your time, health, and sanity. This tomato basil soup freezes and reheats well, so make a bigger batch and can enjoy it on a rainy day when you don’t have time to go grocery shopping.
Also Check: Andersen Split Pea Soup Hotel
Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
Growing up I hated tomato soup like wouldnt touch it with my spoon tied to a 10-foot pole, HATED IT. Believe me, my dad tried on numerous occasions to serve it to me for lunch. I was always considered a good eater, but it was one of the few foods that I steadfastly refused to eat.
Fast forward about 20 years to a random lunch with my hubby at First Watch. I decided to take a little taste of his cup of tomato basil soup, and I had a revelation It was never been tomato soup itself that I hated! Its that icky canned condensed blob of tomato-like substance that my dad always prepared that I despised.
So as with so many of my other favorite restaurant recipes, I set out to recreate that lovely creamy tomato basil soup at home. And I like to think my tomato basil soup recipe comes pretty darn close!
PIN IT NOW, MAKE IT LATER! .WHILE YOURE AT IT, LETS BE FRIENDS! FOLLOW ME ON FOR MORE EASY RECIPE IDEAS.
Canned Vs Fresh Tomatoes:
Canned tomatoes are a great option for making a quick and easy tomato soup. The tomatoes are preserved at fresh peakness so that you can enjoy them all year long. We prefer using a fire-roasted tomato for extra flavor.
Fresh tomatoes always have a great flavor, but do require more work. To fire roast tomatoes, you can either use an outdoor grill or the oven. Whichever you decide, preheat to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. To prep your tomatoes, you will need to wash, cut off the stem end, and then cut tomatoes in half lengthwise. Place them cut side down into a grill basket for outdoor grill or on a baking sheet for the oven and drizzle with olive oil. Roast in your preheat grill/oven until charred. The grill will go fast, so keep a close eye on it. In the oven, it should take approximately 30-40 minutes to char. Allow them to cool before continuing with the recipe.
Read Also: Gluten Free Knorr Vegetable Soup Mix
What Makes My Secret Ingredient Tomato Basil Soup So Unique
One thing that I forgot to mention is that not only is there a secret ingredient in my tomato basil soup, there is also a secret method. The thing about this soup is that the longer you roast the tomatoes, the more sinfully delicious the pot of soup will be. Take your time, enjoy the process. Massage those tomatoes, carrots, onions, and garlic with some olive oil and a generous sprinkle of salt and pepper and pop them in the oven on a low heat setting for one hour. The slow baking process helps to caramelize the veggies a bit on the outside and develops more flavor in the tomatoes and brings out its natural sweetness. Theyre wrinkle and cute and loaded with so much flavor when you pull that tray out of the oven. Bonus: your house is gonna smell like a Tuscan tomato field! Theres also zero sugar in my tomato basil soup. Only the natural sweetness from the slow roasting process and the carrots that are going into this soup.
Now, go. Use that hour to its full advantage. Me? > I popped in a quick Gillian Michaels workout DVD that I hadnt done in ages and within 10 minutes I was screaming bloody murder because I couldnt feel any of my limbs. I spent the following 50 minutes cursing Gillian under my breath and vowing to use this DVD sparingly. Homegirl. Im sure youve helped a lot of people, but your beginners level DVD is not for BEGINNERS.
To Make Roasted Tomato Basil Soup:
Don’t Miss: Olive Garden Endless Soup And Salad
Easy Tomato Basil Soup
Easy Tomato Basil Soup is thick, creamy, and full of fire roasted tomato flavor. This family favorite soup is delicious on it own, and even better paired with a spicy grilled cheese!
Easy Tomato Basil Soup is thick, creamy, and full of tomato flavor. This family favorite soup is delicious on its own, and even better paired with a classic grilled cheese!
If you are looking for the best recipe for tomato soup that is still easy to make, well then, youve found it. Tomato soup is the crowning glory of the tomato. Everything about it accentuates that pure tomato flavor. It is straight comfort food. It brings back favorite childhood memories, playing on a swing set, unaware of the inconveniences and challenges of life, and loving every minute of it. With a grilled cheese in one hand, and a spoon in the other, everything is right in the world once again. Isnt that what good food made with love is supposed to do?