The Best Cabbage Soup Diet Recipe And 7
Get the Cabbage Soup Diet Recipe for quick weight loss and detox. Also get the printable 7-Day Diet Soup Eating Chart to put on your fridge and easily follow the diet. Learn how to make this detox cabbage soup in the slow cooker, instant pot, and on the stovetop.
Did you overindulge a bit during the holidays? Me too! Whether youre looking to lose up to 10 pounds or more in only 7 days, fit back into your clothing, detox, or to get rid of bloating, this cabbage soup diet may help you accomplish these goals.
As a plus, find out the pros and cons of the cabbage soup diet, get answers to some FAQs, and learn how to make the best cabbage soup diet recipe in the slow cooker, instant pot, and on the stove top.
Instant Pot Cabbage Soup:
Can Cabbage Soup Be Made In An Instant Pot
Combine cabbage, onions, carrots, green beans, and zucchini to an Instant Pot with the garlic, tomato paste, and beef broth. Add the seasonings.
Close and lock the lid. Select high pressure according to manufacturers instructions set timer for 15 minutes. Allow 10 to 15 minutes for pressure to build. Release the pressure using a natural release method.
Also Check: Chef’s Cupboard Onion Soup Mix
Safety And Side Effects
The Cabbage Soup protocol is a low-fat diet and should not last more than one week. The body needs fat for proper functioning, as well as a varied diet, for the whole spectrum of vital nutrients. Its especially the brain thrives on fat and without a proper intake, you will begin to feel sluggish, lacking focus and your mind will be foggy.
You begin to experience what is called poor brain function. Without the good cholesterol, which is a type of fat, you will not have enough energy for the day. This will also have negative effects on your heart health in time. Apart from that, not enough fats may alter your mood significantly, as its promoting depression and anxiety.
If youre experiencing such states while on the diet, know that its because of the reduced fat intake. You may start experiencing general weakness however, that is part of the weight loss process. Also, as the body begins to burn stored fat, this releases some of the toxins accumulated, which may have negative short-term effects. Once your body flushes them out, you should be feeling much better.
Additionally, your hormone levels can be affected, too. Expect sex hormone changes in particular. These are closely linked to the amount of fat you get in your diet. In women, menstruation may become irregular.
Can I Make Slow Cooker Cabbage Soup
This soup works great in the slow cooker, however, you will want to brown the turkey before adding it to the slow cooker. Simply brown the turkey along with the onion. Add the carrots, celery, and garlic. Once that is cooked, add everything to the slow cooker and top with tomatoes, cauliflower rice, and broth. Cook on low for 4 hours until the cabbage is tender.
Also Check: Stove Top Pot Roast With Onion Soup Mix
Can I Freeze Cabbage Soup
There are two options for freezing cabbage soup depending on if you want to cook it and freeze it OR prep the entire recipe and then cook it later.
- Meal Prep Cabbage Soup: If you want to prep this meal to cook at a later time, it’s actually fairly simple. Start by browning the turkey with onion, salt, and pepper. Then add the carrots, celery, and garlic. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Let this cool. Then add to a freezer safe bag with the cabbage, cauliflower rice, diced tomatoes, and bay leaves. Freeze for later use. When you are ready to cook it, let it defrost in the fridge overnight. Add the contents to the Instant Pot, Slow Cooker, or stove-top and add the broth. Cook according to the directions below.
- If you want to simply freeze the cabbage soup after it is cooked, simply place it in a freezer safe container. It will last in the fridge for 2-3 months in the freezer. Personally, I always freeze it in individual servings that can be pulled out for a quick dinner or lunch.
Ww Cabbage Soup Recipe With Tomato
This healthy Weight Watchers cabbage soup is a simpler version of Minestrone soup. So this has got some tomato juice in this. Tangy and delicious, your family will love this on the dinner table.
Weight Watchers is basically a portion control plan all foods have points and based on your height & weight you get a certain number of points. They also have three different plans purple, blue, and green with varying lists of zero-point foods.
Youre on the green with some of the soup recipes here, the rest are mainly zero points.
Which of these healthy cabbage soup recipes for weight watchers is your favorite? Let us know in the comments section below. If you have some of your own recipes, please share them with us, we shall add them to the list.
Don’t Miss: Lipton Onion Soup Mix Calories
Cabbage Soup Diet Plan Managing Your Expectations
The 7-day cabbage soup diet plan is one of the most popular diets of recent times, especially for those who want to lose weight quickly in a short time.
In terms of meal preparation, the effort you have to put on a cabbage soup diet meal is medium.
If your current daily calorie consumption is at a normal level you will end up lowering your daily calorie intake dramatically by following the cabbage soup diet plan.
Remember that suddenly lowering your daily calorie intake comes with its risks and you are strictly advised to consult your physician before following this diet.
Chances are you will lose weight quickly at the beginning with the cabbage soup diet plan.
Low-calorie diets like the cabbage soup diet are usually not sustainable in the long run as the constant feeling of hunger gets annoying pretty quickly for most of us.
So, instead of making this diet, your lifestyle follows it intermittently.
Lets look at the details of this diet together.
How Do You Make Cabbage Soup
Its super easy! Just six steps to the best soup youve ever had!
- Heat dutch oven or large pot on medium-high heat no olive oil needed! Add 1/4 cup beef broth, carrots and onions. Cook for 5 min
- Add ground turkey and garlic. Add more broth if pan is dry. Brown turkey and cook through.
- Add remaining ingredients EXCEPT zucchini
- Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce temp to medium heat and simmer for 20 minutes
- Add zucchini and simmer 5 min more
- Ladle into bowls and serve with a sprinkle of coarse sea salt
Also Check: Burgers With Lipton Onion Soup Mix
The Best Weight Watchers Cabbage Soup Recipe
This is by far the BEST Weight Watchers cabbage soup youll ever have! This easy soup recipe is filled with every vegetable I could think of plus I added ground turkey to make it even heartier. Two cups of this hearty soup is only 0/1 POINT! Ive been astounded at how much I enjoyed all of these leftovers!
I joined Weight Watchers at the beginning of the year and have been wanting to make a cabbage soup because its so healthy and low on points. And let me tell you I will be making this every month from here on out and so will you!
Join For Weight Loss And Weight Watchers Support
Get small group accountability and support.
Christian Weight Loss for Women with Faithful Finish Lines Free Facebook group for Christian women with a weight loss goal.
Free for anyone doing Weight Watchers/WW meetings, online, or at home.
Faithful Finish Lines Online weight loss programs for women
Pin this WW Vegetable Soup Recipe for Later
Recommended Reading: Chicken Rice Casserole Recipe Campbells
Additions Or Substitutions To This Soup
Try other complimentary Mediterranean ingredients in this soup, like:
- Yellow squash, or diced butternut squash
- Celery, kale, or spinach
- Broad beans or other white beans
- Use vegetable, chicken, or beef broth
- Add heat with a pinch of red pepper flakes
- Purple cabbage instead of napa or green cabbage
- Try spicy tomato juice for an extra kick
Tips For Making Ww Zero Point Cabbage Soup
Here are tips for making this delicious, healthy soup.
- This does have small amount of olive oil, but spread throughout the recipe the points are still zero per serving. You can use Pam cooking spray or even water if you prefer in order to sauté vegetables.
- You can use vegetable, chicken, or beef broth in this cabbage soup. I like the rich taste of beef broth the best, but all work well. Many people use a combination of chicken and beef broth to give this an extra-rich flavor.
- This soup can be cooked on the stove top. Follow the same directions and allow to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Feel free to change up vegetables according to your preferences.
Why Is Cabbage Good For Weight Loss
Cabbage is also beneficial for weight loss and maintaining youthful skin. A cup of boiled cabbage has only 33 calories and is low in fat and high in fiber, making it a healthy snack option. Cabbage also has antioxidant properties that assist to keep skin looking healthy, toned, blemish-free, and bright it is a good source of vitamin C. .
How Many Points In Cabbage Soup
That’s pretty simple – ZERO! And if you follow the Personal Points plan, you may ‘earn’ Points for eating a serving!
If you follow any of the old WW plans then the Points work out as follows:
- Freestyle plan – 0 SmartPoints per portion
- myWW Blue plan – 0 SmartPoints per portion
- myWW Purple plan – 0 SmartPoints per portion
- myWW Green plan – 0 SmartPoints per portion
Read Also: Chicken Rice Onion Soup Mix
Weight Watchers Vegetable Soup Recipe
Those of us who have been members of Weight Watchers for years know that a free vegetable soup, the old Weight Watchers cabbage soup recipe as many of us refer to it, has been part of the program for as long as most of us can remember. This delicious Weight Watchers soup recipe has stood the test of time because its rich and filling with zero points.
Ive heard this soup called Weight Watchers Free Vegetable Soup, WW Detox Soup, WW Instant Pot Free Soup, or Cabbage soup, but they are all a similar concept tons of fresh vegetables and spices cooked together with vegetable broth to bring about a delicious flavor.
These days, the W W Personal Points plan allows members to have your own personalized list of zero point foods, which is amazing! While these foods still do have calories, knowing they are free encourages members to eat them on a regular basis.
Check out these helpful posts about zero point food options:
This stove top or Instant Pot vegetable soup is a great go-to recipe because with all the vegetables, its a great Instant Pot detox soup recipe. Low in calories, this is a great choice for days when you need a re-start after overeating or indulging in rich foods.
This Weight Watchers cabbage soup recipe is also good for times when you want to keep your points low to save them for a bigger meal later in the day or week.
Can I Exercise On The Cabbage Diet Soup
Exercise is not recommended while on the diet, especially moderate to high-level. Why? Because this is a low-calorie diet one that can leave you weak even without exercising. Youll likely get around 1,000 calories or less a day which is about half of the 2,000 daily calories that most adults should get.
Don’t Miss: Potato Soup With Frozen Hash Browns
Vegetarian Weight Watchers Soup
For added salt and depth of flavor, grandmas original Weight Watchers soup recipe called for 5 beef bouillon cubes. Sure its delicious that way, but I wanted to make this soup more vegetarian friendly.
Use vegetable or chicken broth instead of beef bouillon. Make this tomato juice-based soup vegetarian by using vegetable broth, or mostly vegetarian with chicken broth. My homemade chicken broth is my favorite flavor builder. Either way, its an easy and delicious soup recipe that will keep you on track for your healthy eating goals.
Does The Cabbage Soup Diet Work
The cabbage soup diet is effective only if you understand how its supposed to work and respect all the given rules. Cabbage is a vegetable with a very low content of calories and when you eat a low amount of calories, two thing happen: your body has nothing to store as fat and it starts to burn its adipose tissue to produce the energy it needs. In addition, cabbage, especially prepared in a soup, makes for a very watery dish to consume. This controls your appetite and fills up your stomach, so you wont overeat.
It will also control other aspects, such as the potassium levels in your body and blood pressure. In addition, cabbage lowers cholesterol levels and boosts cardiovascular health. It is also good for the liver, helping it get rid of unwanted substances or anything thats in excess.
The liver is one of the most important organs when it comes to maintaining a healthy weight. Cruciferous vegetables, cabbage included, also fight inflammation in the body and have healing effects in case of tumors. Their effects on cancer cells are being researched. The anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects were already proven.
Recommended Reading: Lipton Onion Soup Mix Potatoes
What Variations Can I Make To This Cabbage Soup Recipe
- This soup can be made with sauerkraut instead of fresh cabbage but is then more accurately known as sour shchi or kislye shchi which is actually another traditional Russian soup.
- Add in some sorrel, spinach, kale, and various other greens you may enjoy and youre suddenly eating green shchi or zelyoniye shchi. Yep, you guessed right thats another well known Russian soup version of this cabbage soup!
- While a traditional cabbage soup is meatless, you could opt to add in some pork, sausage, or beef brisket to bulk up your soup and squeeze in some extra protein. Try ground turkey for a leaner meat option.
- Other options for bulking up the soup include adding diced potatoes or even diced sweet potatoes.
- Cabbage soup is typically mild in flavor but you could add a kick of heat by using Ro-Tel diced tomatoes and increase the red chili flakes or add in some cayenne pepper.
- We used dried herbs in this batch, but you can certainly experiment with fresh herbs. I typically use double the quantity of fresh herbs compared to the dried quantities in the recipe. Try fresh thyme, rosemary, oregano, or basil to flavor the soup. Garnish with a sprinkle of fresh parsley for color.
Other Weight Watchers Soup Recipes
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Visit this page to see what that means.
Also Check: Campbell’s Chicken Divan
What Cabbage Should I Use
There are lots of varieties of cabbage out there and I have tried a few different kinds when making this soup. At this time of the year I use spring cabbage as they are abundant. However, I have also used white cabbage and once or twice, savoy cabbage.
I haven’t used red cabbage as I think I’d be put off by the end colour but thats obviously a personal preference!
Weight Watchers Cabbage Vegetable Soup Stove Top Instructions
Gather ingredients and a large Dutch Oven or soup pot.
Dice all vegetables.
Add olive oil to bottom of pot and add diced onion, celery, and carrots. Saute until softened but not brown.
Add garlic and saute one minute more.
Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes with lid on.
Whats your favorite Weight Watchers soup recipe? Share in the comments below.
Also Check: Campbells Chicken Rice Casserole Recipe Easy
The Cabbage Soup Diet: Does It Work For Weight Loss
Healthline Diet Score: 0.71 out of 5
The Cabbage Soup Diet is a short-term weight loss diet.
As the name implies, it involves eating large quantities of cabbage soup.
Proponents of the diet say that it can help you lose up to 10 pounds in a single week, but many health experts warn that the diet is unhealthy and its results unsustainable.
This article examines the Cabbage Soup Diet and its effectiveness.
diet review scorecard
- Nutrition quality: 1.2
- Evidence based: .07
BOTTOM LINE: The Cabbage Soup Diet is likely to cause weight loss but only because it severely reduces your calorie intake. As soon as you stop this one-week diet, youre likely to regain the weight you lost..