How To Make Mushroom Soup:
1. Add potatoes to a pot with 8 cups water and 2 cups stock. Bring potatoes to a light boil and continue to cook for about 10 minutes or until potatoes are almost cooked. Meanwhile saute sliced mushrooms over medium high heat until they are lightly browned and softened. Add mushrooms to the soup pot and continue cooking 5-8 min.
2. Meanwhile, heat the same skillet over medium/high heat. Add 3 Tbsp butter along with diced onion and grated carrot, and saute until golden then add to the soup pot. For picky eaters who dont like the onion texture, you can puree the sautéed carrots and onion in a blender or food processor.
3. Whisk together 2 cups half and half and 4 Tbsp flour until smooth. Add cream mixture to the soup. Add seasonings to taste . Stir in 1/3 cup chopped Parsley or Dill or a mix of both. Bring to a boil for a few minutes, check potatoes for doneness and remove from heat.
* The Le Creuset French Ovensare made to last a lifetime. Theyre lovely too. * These glass bowls by pyrex are perfect for prepping & serving. * These Joseph Joseph utensils sit next to the stove and they get used. ALOT! * Every cook should have a strong whisk. I always reach for this one.
In other news, the bun is still in the oven. I guess Im being inpatient she still has 11 days to get chubbier. Im just super excited!! And, Im ready for the weather to start warming up, but for now soups on.
How Long Does Cream Of Mushroom Soup Last In The Fridge
Aside from its wonderful texture and rich flavors, this Cream of Mushroom Soup is also a great make-ahead soup. Let it cool first before transferring it to a container and into the fridge for 3-4 days. Moreover, try to do a quick sniff too, to double check before reheating. Remember, this is a cream-based soup. As for freezing it, I dont highly recommend it as it sometimes separate when you defrost and reheat them.
Simply Perfect Cream Of Mushroom Soup
You can make this quick, easy and delicious cream of mushroom soup in just 20 minutes! Perfect for a comforting homemade mushroom soup any time.
I have been sharing some classic recipes in the past few weeks that, while not glamorous, are just solid recipes for every-day dishes. They are simply perfect. This classic cream of mushroom soup recipe is one of those.
Beyond being incredibly delicious, this soup is ready to eat in just about 20 minutes. Just let that sink in for a few seconds … delicious … soup … 20 minutes. You’ll never open a can of mushroom soup again!
The real beauty of this soup is that you can walk in to the kitchen, throw together just a few ingredients and then walk out with a bowl of delicious and comforting soup in minutes. There are not a lot of recipes you can say that about!
Don’t Miss: Volunteer Soup Kitchen Nyc
Make Cream Of Mushroom Soup
15. Now add 1 cup of water or vegetable stock, or mushroom stock.
16. Stir and mix well.
17. Add 1 cup whole milk.
TIP: The milk should be at room temperature when you add it.
18. Mix very well.
19. Season with salt to taste and mix again. If using vegetable or mushroom stock instead of water, you likely will only need a small amount of extra salt, if any at all.
20. Simmer the cream of mushroom soup over medium-low heat. Stir often it will start to bubble up like in the picture below.
21. The soup will also begin to thicken. Continue to simmer the mushroom soup for more 4 to 5 more minutes.
As it cooks the soup will thicken more and more. Stir regularly so that it doesnt stick to the bottom of the pan.
22. Then add 6 tablespoons light cream or cooking cream or low fat cream or 3 tablespoons heavy cream or whipping cream. You can also add 7 to 8 tablespoons of half and half.
23. Stir and mix well.
24. Add 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley or coriander leaves or any fresh herbs of your choice.
25. Simmer the cream of mushroom soup for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring often.
26. Lastly, sprinkle 1 to 2 pinches of ground nutmeg powder or grated nutmeg and stir. Nutmeg gives a nice pleasant aroma but can be skipped if you do not have it.
27. Switch off the heat and pour the mushroom soup in individual serving bowls. Serve the cream of mushroom soup steaming hot garnished with more freshly chopped parsley or coriander leaves.
Make Mushroom Soup Base
3. Next, heat a heavy saucepan or pan over low to medium-low heat. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in the pan.
4. When the butter has almost melted add bay leaf or tej patta . Keep the heat low and be careful to not burn the butter.
5. Sauté until the bay leaf becomes fragrant, only for about 2 to 3 seconds.
6. Add cup finely chopped onions and ½ teaspoon minced or finely chopped garlic .
7. Mix and stir.
8. Sauté until the onions soften and become translucent.
Cream Of Chicken Soup
Canned cream of chicken soup can work well in a recipe calling for cream of mushroom soup, because the two soups have a similar texture. As you might expect from the name, cream of chicken soup is made with chicken and chicken stock, according to the Campbell’s soup website. To compare, cream of mushroom is made with mushrooms and garlic, so the flavors of the two soups are a bit different. Although cream of chicken has strong savory flavor it won’t have the umami notes that you get from mushrooms.
Both soups are made with cream and have similar levels of sodium, so if what your recipe needs is a creamy, savory sauce, then cream of chicken soup will work well. The pieces of chicken in the condensed cream soup are small enough that they won’t get in the way of the other ingredients and textures in your dish. Try it in dishes like casseroles.
Creamy Mushroom Soup: Faqs
What mushrooms are best for mushroom soup?
Baby bella mushrooms and regular button mushrooms are really, really good in this soup. Having the combo provides a really deep, rich flavor without being overly earthy. Its *chefs kiss*!
Can I freeze this soup?
Unfortunately, this is one that doesnt do so hot in the freezer.
How can I make this vegan?
Just use plant-based butter and sub coconut cream in place of the heavy cream.
How can I add protein to this soup?
Some mild or spicy Italian sausage would be delicious! Maybe even some crispy bacon crumbled on top?
How did you make the homemade broth?
Instructions for this can be found in the recipe notes.
What herbs do you recommend?
A few sprigs of thyme leaves and about 2-4 tablespoons of fresh chopped flat-leaf parsley are really good!
You May Like: Lipton Onion Soup Mix Recipes Pot Roast
What To Serve This Soup With
This soup is seriously BEGGING for some crusty bread partnerships, be it a handful of crispy luxe peppery croutons on top or a freshly ripped piece of steamy no knead bread. You could pair it with a little green salad or roast up some fall veggies, maybe a little pile of crispy roasted mushrooms to top it .
We really love this one, friends. We hope you do too.
What To Serve With Mushroom Soup
Creamy mushroom soup is delicious to enjoy with a hearty sandwich or piece of crusty bread, like crostini or bruschetta.
Its a wonderful starter to serve before a pasta or risotto or pilaf course. And it pairs great as a side dish with nearly any entree!
Have a bowl of this comforting soup as a main dish of its own, and serve with a fresh side salad or veggies.
Also Check: Campbell Soup And Rice Recipes
Tips For Making The Best Zupa Pieczarkowa
- You can add noodles or potatoes to the soup or serve them separately.
- If using wild mushrooms, use this recipe.
- If you want it richer, add more sour cream or some heavy cream.
- You can cream the entire soup with a blender or leave it coarse. Its up to you!
- You can add a tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice if you want the soup tangier.
- Top with chopped parsley or bacon bits before serving.
Make This Cream Of Mushroom Soup In Advance
Make Ahead: You can easily make this soup ahead of time and store it in the fridge or freezer. Warm it either in the microwave or on the stove. If you have added the puff pastry top, then reheat it in the oven to crisp up.
Storing: You can store this Cream of Mushroom Soup in the refrigerator once it has cooled. Place it in an airtight container and it will last 5-7 days.
Freeze: Place the cooled soup in an airtight container in the freezer. When you are ready, let it thaw and warm it up on the stovetop. Make sure to keep whisking it so that it doesnt curdle. It will last up to 2-3 months.
Recommended Reading: Chicken Rice Casserole Recipe Campbells
Tell Me About This Cream Of Mushroom Soup
This is, by far, my favorite homemade cream of mushroom soup recipe. I’ve easily served this over 100 times by now not only because of it’s easy but it’s the most satisfying and comforting recipes. And, most important, this soup is made in just 1 pot!
There are 3 levels of flavors in the soup sautéing the mushrooms, onions, garlic, and spices, the white whine and letting the soup simmer.
How To Make Paleo
- ¾ cup full-fat coconut milk, cream included
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch, or 2 to 3 tablespoons of corn starch made into a slurry with ¼ cup water
- Palm shortening, avocado oil, coconut oil, or clarified butteryour choice
- Double up on the onion and garlic powder, if needed, to counterbalance the coconut flavor
You May Like: Pot Roast With Lipton Onion Soup
Whats In Cream Of Mushroom Soup
When we talk about the ingredients in our cream of mushroom soup recipe, we might also talk about whats *not* in a pot of homemade mushroom soup. Why? Because a lot of us grew up eating canned, condensed cream of mushroom soup and while weve got some pretty cozy memories around that canned stuff, it was loaded with sodium and unhealthy preservatives. Meanwhile, this mushroom soup recipe is built completely out of whole foods. Its indulgent, yes, but its also a much better alternative to processed food. Heres what youll need to make cream of mushroom soup from scratch:
- Mushrooms. You can use either cremini or white button, or a mixture of the two. Or, you can even make this with wild mushrooms for an even richer, headier mushroom flavor.
- White wine
- Fresh thyme
- Nutmeg. This might sound odd, but nutmeg is a wonderful partner for cream-based soups like this! It adds a hint of warmth that is subtle but powerful. Its OK to skip it, but we think it makes a wonderful addition.
- Garlic & onion powder
- Dijon mustard
- Stock. Veggie stock will make this a completely vegetarian soup, or you can use chicken stock if thats not a concern.
- Heavy cream
- Cornstarch. This is an optional ingredient. Basically, cornstarch can be mixed with water to make a paste or slurry, which acts as a thickener for the soup.
Recipes Using Cream Of Mushroom Soup
Whats great about this recipe, is that you can add or use any leftovers you have for this on other dishes, too. Yep! You can add Cream of Mushroom Soup on creamy pastas, casseroles like this Green Bean Casserole HERE, scalloped potatoes or basically any creamy based recipes that complements well with mushrooms.
Pair this warm and comforting bowl of Cream Mushroom Soup with sliced artisan bread, slightly toasted bread or my easy homemade garlic bread. Or if that wont be enough for you, toss some croutons on top of the soup to go along with those tender bits of mushrooms.
You May Like: Aldi Cream Of Mushroom Soup
Easy To Make Homemade Croutons
The croutons are easy to make using white sliced bread, and the dust is created by blending dried mushrooms. The mushroom dust is not only perfect for the croutons, but is a wonderful seasoning for steaks, soups, avocado toast, popcorn and other dishes that can use a flavour boost.
Mushroom Dusted Croutons
Buttery Garlic Mushrooms With A Flavour Twist The Herb Garlic Butter Sauce Is So Good Youll Be Serving These Mushrooms With Everything
Pan seared Garlic Mushrooms are a staple side in any restaurant, bistro, pub or steakhouse, and a huge favourite in homes all over the world. BUT, over the years I have made a few changes and added a couple of extra ingredients to regular garlic mushrooms to get the BEST flavour!
You will love this easy and delicious 10-minute side dish that pairs with anything! Low carb and Keto approved!
Recommended Reading: Campbells Chicken Rice Broccoli
Why Make Cream Of Mushroom Soup At Home
How Do You Make Easy Creamy Cauliflower Soup
When reading Roasted Cauliflower Soup you may be thinking, why not just boil it?Why not make it easier? The truth is cauliflower is pretty bland and begs for flavour.
You can flavour a boiled cauliflower soup with as many seasonings as you have, but it doesnt come close to the flavours that are naturally baked into roasted cauliflower.
To add to those delicious flavours, youre going to mix cauliflower florets with smashed whole garlic cloves and sliced onion drizzle over some olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Don’t Miss: Aldi Cream Of Chicken Soup
What Are Porcini Mushrooms
When it comes to flavor, theyre like mushrooms on steroids! Cultivated primarily in Europe and North America, porcini mushrooms have been prized in Italy and France for centuries where they remain the most widely-consumed wild mushroom. Porcini have an incredibly rich earthy and nutty flavor that is unparalleled and has earned it the title of King of Mushrooms.
For years Ive included a tablespoon or two of ground dried porcini mushrooms to a variety of sauces, gravies and soups for a potent dose of umami to heighten the flavor of each dish. Its a truly wonderful ingredient and youll love the additional depth of flavor it contributes to this cream of mushroom soup.
You can find dried porcini mushrooms in some well-stocked grocery stores and you can also find them .
What To Serve With Garlic Mushrooms
Size: Find mushrooms that are about the same size to ensure even cooking.Type: We use button mushrooms as pictured here, or you can use Cremini or wild mushrooms. Choose a mushroom type you are familiar with!Rinse mushrooms before slicing and when you are ready to cook to prevent them from getting slimy.
Read Also: Is Tomato Soup Keto Friendly
Mushroom Soup Without Cream
An ultra-creamy mushroom soup without cream! Loaded with mushrooms, garlic, and fresh herbs its a comforting and hearty soup without the extra calories and fat!
This is not your average homemade cream of mushroom soup recipe! No canned condensed soup here with tiny bits of mushrooms, and a thick congealed cream nope! This soup is everything you love about a comforting and hearty meal, full of fresh ingredients, vitamins, and minerals.
When the weather cools, theres nothing like a big bowl of soup. And I absolutely love creamy soups too! Theyre thick, warm, satisfying, and stick to the bones. But the problem with most creamy soups is that theyre made with heavy cream and butter which is loaded with calories and fat.
Who Invented Cream Of Mushroom Soup
Mushroom soup is one of those dishes that have been around for far too long to credit any one particular culture with its origin.
The Italians and the French have been making roux-based soups for centuries. So have other cultures.
In the US, its the Campbell Soup Company that started selling the Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup in 1934 that got everyone hooked. From there, there was no turning back. Everyone must have mushroom soup at least once!
Read Also: Cremini Mushrooms Publix
How Do You Make Homemade Vegetable Soup
You can follow our recipe or clean out your fridge and use whatever vegetables you have on hand.
We load our soup with cabbage, celery, green beans, zucchini, cauliflower and spinach. Carrots are optional, especially if youre strict Keto. The greener your soup, the lower in carbs it will be. You can even make your own Bone Broth.
Substitute some of our veggies with broccoli florets, green peppers, peas, eggplant, asparagus, kale, brussels sprouts or mushrooms.
Dont care about carbs? Feel free to add in corn, potatoes or butternut squash.
How Do You Make Mushroom Soup
Creamy mushroom soup from scratch has a depth of flavour so different from canned soups , thanks to fresh herbs and ingredients.
Just a handful of ingredients needed to make your own version:
- Mushrooms: Fresh brown or cremini mushrooms are perfect for this recipe. You could also use mini portobello mushrooms, or a combination of your favourite mushroom varieties.
- Herbs: The best herbs we have found over the years to compliment those incredible flavours is a combination of thyme and parsley. Of course, if you dont like those, you can also use rosemary, oregano, tarragon, chives or cilantro. Use what you love!
- Cream: Half and half, heavy cream, light cream or thickened cream all yield similar results, however heavy cream adds richness.
- Flour: We need flour to create that delicious, creamy texture mushroom soup is loved for. You can leave it out and use cornstarch if you wish. I recommend 2-3 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup water . If unsure about quantities for your liking, add the cornstarch slurry in tablespoon increments, stirring in between, until youve achieved your ideal texture.
Recommended Reading: Chicken Soup Delivery Gift