How To Make It
Add the broth, green onion roots, and seasonings to a bot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to let the soup simmer.
Whisk together the eggs and egg yolk in a bowl.
Use a wooden spoon to stir the chicken broth in one direction in a circle. Slowly pour the eggs into the soup while youre still stirring.
Pour the soup into 2 bowls and serve with green onions on top.
How Many Carbs In Egg Drop Soup
The core ingredients in low carb egg drop soup are chicken broth, eggs, sesame oil, a sprinkle of green onions, and a seasoning like soy/gluten free soy , or coconut aminos.
If youre wondering how many carbs in egg drop soup, there are ONLY 0.6 net carbs per serving depending on what brands of ingredients youre using! Yep.you got that right, the egg drop soup carbs are less than 1 net carb per cup!
Chicken broth, eggs, and sesame oil all have NO carbs. Making sure to use either Tamari sauce or coconut aminos instead of regular soy sauce will make this an almost no carb soup recipe. Who knew you could make a filling soup with so little carbs.
We used the San-J brand Tamari found at most grocery stores that is gluten-free and sugar-free, it has just 1 carb per Tbsp.which means the soup only has 0.25 carbs per serving before adding a sprinkle of green onion.
And then the optional green onions have a total of 1.5 net carbs for 2 of them, which is an easy thing to cut back on. And even making the recipe as stated with green onions or scallions only adds 0.35 net carbs to each serving.
My mind was blown when I realized the total egg drop soup carbs are only 0.6 per cup of soup!
How Do You Make Egg Drop Soup
In a pot, bring the chicken broth, soy sauce, and ground ginger to a boil.
In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and water. Stir into the boiling broth until thickened.
Reduce heat to a simmer. Slowly drizzle the eggs into the soup while gently stirring in a circle in the same direction.
Remove from heat and add the salt, sesame oil , and green onions. Add more salt to taste and serve.
You May Like: Oven Baked Rice With Onion Soup Mix
Nutrition Of Egg Drop Soup
The nutrition of egg drop soup is honestly pretty surprising! Besides having less than one net carb per serving, this tasty and filling bowl of soup has under 100 calories per cup.
The specific brand you are using for the ingredients can change the nutrition of egg drop soup, be sure to check the labels. Our chicken broth, eggs, and sesame oil were from Trader Joes, the San-J Tamari came from Kroger.
Egg drop soup nutrition
- Egg drop soup Calories- 52
- Fat- 4 g
Easy Keto Egg Drop Soup Recipe
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- ½ chicken bouillon cube
- 1 tablespoon butter or bacon fat
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic paste
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- Heat a pan over stove.
- Add chicken broth, bouillon cube and butter.
- Simmer until the butter is melted.
- Stir in chili garlic paste and bring to a simmer again.
- Pour the eggs into steaming broth.
- Cook for 3 minutes.
- Serve warm, topped with some sliced spring onion.
Recommended Reading: Pacific Foods Red Pepper And Tomato Soup
Is Keto Egg Drop Soup Healthy
This particular 5-ingredient keto egg drop soup is incredibly healthy. As a matter of fact, here are 3 proven health benefits that this egg drop soup offers:
- Rich source of antioxidants. This egg drop soup is made with a variety of ingredients that are loaded with disease fighting properties. Garlic, ginger, green onion, and olive oil are all especially rich sources of antioxidants that have been found to help protect against various types of disease.
- Promotes heart health. This egg drop soup also goes a long way towards keeping your heart healthy. Fresh garlic and ginger have both been found to be particularly beneficial when it comes to preventing cardiovascular disorders like heart disease and stroke.
- Eggs are a legitimate superfood. It goes without saying that egg drop soup will provide all of the same great benefits offered up by eggs in general. Im of course referring to the fact that eggs are ridiculously nutrient-dense theyre a great source of protein, quality fat, dietary cholesterol, choline, and other essential vitamins and minerals.
The Easiest Homemade Egg Drop Soup
When I hear the word easy I think in terms of number of ingredients, number of steps, and how long it will take me to make before I can devour. This recipe is definitely high up on the easy scale! It has seven total ingredients . The only steps required are whisking, boiling, and adding in the eggs. It takes less than 10 minutes total time to make. If thats not easy I dont know what is! Plus, when its homemade you feel so much better about putting it into your body, because you know exactly what went into it.
Also Check: Nissin Raoh Tonkotsu Flavor
How We Calculate The Net Atkins Count
In the Atkins Nutritional Approach®, the Net Atkins Count is calculated by subtracting the number of grams of fiber and polyols from the total grams of carbohydrates in whole foods. This reflects the idea that fiber and polyols minimally impacts blood sugar levels at the doses present in the products.
Disclaimer: Nothing contained on this Site is intended to provide health care advice. Should you have any health care-related questions, please call or see your physician or other health care provider. Consult your physician or health care provider before beginning the Atkins Diet as you would any other weight loss or weight maintenance program. The weight loss phases of the Atkins Diet should not be used by persons on dialysis. Individual results may vary. This site is moderated for content. Simply Good Foods USA, Inc. reserves the right to remove any posts that are off-topic, offensive or otherwise unacceptable.
Egg Drop Soup Around The World
American egg drop soup consists of beaten eggs swimming in chicken broth. Pepper and scallions may be added.
In China, the garnish may be different. Your soup might be topped with tofu, corn, or bean sprouts.
Moving along, in Italy, youd throw some Parmesan cheese in with your soup.
Russian egg drop soup typically has semolina boiling in the broth before the eggs are added, and some regions would include dumplings.
You definitely dont want to try the Austrian version on Keto. They mix the eggs with flour to make egg dumplings.
Sometimes its just a difference in technique. The egg can be mixed into the soup gradually so it does not curdle.
As you can see, there is a lot of room for experimentation with egg drop soup. If you want to do your own take on egg drop soup, just make sure your ingredients are Keto!
Read Also: Pilsbury Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
Free Printable: Low Carb & Keto Food List
Im so excited about this keto egg drop soup recipe! Ill show you exactly how to make egg drop soup in less than 10 minutes it doesnt get any easier. One of the benefits of cooking and preparing your own meals is that you know exactly what is going into your meals. When you get food at restaurants? Who knows? My homemade egg drop soup is incredibly flavorful and has all of the traditional flavors, without any extra thickeners or questionable ingredients much like keto ramen!
Serve this easy egg drop soup as a starter or side to a main dish, its delicious and slurp-able!
Not only is it low carb and keto, but its also gluten-free, grain free, paleo, AND still full of delicious flavor. Its the perfect example of why I started Wholesome Yum in the first place. And thats the idea that you can still enjoy your favorite foods, but in a healthier way.
What Are The Ingredients In Egg Drop Soup Recipe
- A good quality of chicken bone broth homemade Chinese chicken bone broth will be my first choice. The next best thing is a great store bought bone broth such as kettle and fire and other great choices on the market.
- Chicken thighs Before you wonder why using chicken thighs? Let me tell you this is the secret to set your Egg drop soup apart from others, plus the juicy flavorful shredded chicken makes the soup extra nutritious and more satiating!
- Ginger and Scallions they are used to fragrant the broth and are discarded afterwards.
- Turmeric powder A small amount of turmeric powder adds extra golden color to the soup!
- A thickener Traditionally people use cornstarch to make a slurry. In the Paleo/Whole30 world, we use arrowroot or tapioca starch. And if you are on low carb/Keto, skip the thickener or sprinkle ¼ tsp of xanthan gum to thicken the soup.
- Eggs fluffy silky whisked egg ribbons make the soup extra comforting.
- Toasted sesame oil a little finishing touch to make the soup taste extra authentic. If you cant have sesame oil, dont worry. My grandmas egg drop soup is so flavorful even without the sesame oil.
You May Like: Easy Pot Roast Onion Soup Mix
Benefits Of Egg Drop Soup
Great health benefits arise from this Low Carb Egg Drop Soup, as the base is a nutritious Homemade Broth, filled with Collagen, Minerals, Vitamins and Fatty Acids.
Broth or Bouillon as a base of this recipe, has got so many health benefits one would be surprised.
From my childhood till now, anytime one is sick, boiling cup of homemade broth helps greatly every single time.
I love it, my husband loves it, but my daughter . Not so much.
But this Egg Drop Soup has changed it all.
Is Egg Drop Soup Keto Friendly?
This one is. The problem with many of the Egg Drop Soups is, that they are always added with starch to make them a bit creamier. But if you just use an egg and mix it well, you do not need any thickener at all to enjoy it fully Keto.
How to thicken Keto Soup?
If you really insist and you are not satisfied with only eggs, you can always add a pinch of Xanthan Gum to thicken it. For the magic to happen with Xanthan Gum, pinch means really just a pinch. Like ¼ of a teaspoon or even less of it. Be really careful as a little goes a long way. If you add too much of Xanthan, you might end ups with a gooey thick non-edible Keto Egg Drop Soup.
Is Chinese Egg Drop Soup Keto Friendly?
Low Carb Keto Egg Drop Soup Recipe Without Starch
If you’re looking for a low carb keto egg drop soup recipe, you’re in luck! Egg drop soup has always been one of my favorites when going out to eat at Asian restaurants, but it’s chalk full of starch. Most traditional egg drop soup recipes use cornstarch as a thickener, but I’ve found the soup is just as good without the starch!
Don’t forget to PIN it for later!
You May Like: Campbell’s French Onion Soup Meatloaf Recipe
More Chinese Or Low Carb Soup Recipes Youll Love
Browse all of my paleo soup recipes.
Friends! This Chinese Egg Drop Soup recipe is seriously one of the best soup recipes Ive shared on the blog. One sip youll be able to tell the difference! If you give this recipe a try, be sure to leave a comment and rate the recipe.
And add this soup to my Low Carb Meal Plan with Shopping List Its free and I have a feeling that You are going to love it!
My Favorite Low Carb Soups
I have always been a soup person and nothing has changed since starting keto. Im also someone who likes anything even remotely soup like, such as chilis and stews. They are all perfect meals in my book. They have an easy one-pot clean up aspect, and are always filling and satisfying. My favorite soup and soup-like recipes we have on our blog are:
- Broccoli and Cheese Soup Our broccoli and cheese soup is packed with salty, gooey, cheesy cheddar. Plus there is a full serving of vegetables in every bowl so you know your kids and you will be eating good!
- Keto Chili With Bacon Keto Chili with Bacon is a thick soup high in protein and healthy fats. It will keep you full for hours and tastes even better topped with sour cream and chives.
- Low Carb Beef Stew A hearty tender beef stew with vegetables and a rich broth. It makes the perfect thick and warm meal on cold winter days.
- Cheddar Bacon Soup Our keto cheddar bacon soup is cheesy and packed with pieces of bacon. Plus its gluten free and only takes a few minutes cook time.
- Keto Butternut Squash Soup Our butternut squash soup is creamy, delicious, and low carb. And yep, its low carb and keto.
All of our keto recipes are simple yet delicious and make staying low carb easy. Try some of these delicious soups and enjoy the comforting flavors they bring.
You May Like: Lentil Soup Nutrition Benefits
Customizing Easy Keto Egg Drop Soup
If you made this egg drop soup recipe and are looking for even more delicious ingredients to add, check out our list of customizations below:
- Broth Try changing up the broth! Traditionally we use chicken broth, but bone broth or vegetable broth all make great options to add instead.
- Vegetables Vegetables may not be the first thing you think of in egg drop soup, but they do make a great addition to a variety of keto recipes. Some keto friendly vegetables we love and have added in the past are mushrooms, green onions, zucchini, and bok choy.
- Garnishes A good garnish is super important in homemade meals. Some of our favorite recipes have added garnishes like green onions, sesame oil, and sesame seeds.
- Protein Not only does protein make a complete meal, but it also bumps up the satiety factor and flavor of the dish. Try to add chicken, cooked salmon, or seared pork belly to new recipes in order to make a really standout dish.
There are endless combinations of ingredients you can use to make new recipes out of our egg drop soup base. Feel free to get creative and let us know how you made your perfect soup below.
How To Get Started On Keto
There are more ways to get started on a ketogenic diet than there are varieties of egg drop soup. The trick is finding what works for you.
The best, most effective diet in the world wont do you any good if you dont stick with it. If youre interested in getting started on Keto, or just want to learn more about it, Ive got something you need to read ASAP.
Check out this article on how to get started on a ketogenic diet. Its got a guide for kicking off Keto right, and three alternatives to ease your way in.
Don’t Miss: Annie’s Organic Chicken Noodle Soup
How To Make Egg Ribbons
Why This Recipe Works
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional- red pepper flakes, sriracha sauce
Easy egg drop soup is very easy to double or triple! As written, the soup serves four 1 cup servings.
Some egg drop soup recipes use cornstarch as a thickener, we love this soup as is and dont feel it needs thickening, so this is also a low carb egg drop soup recipe without cornstarch. We do tell you how to add it in the recipe instructions, by chance you want it a little thicker.
If you dont have fresh ginger but you do have dried ginger, you can swap the fresh for 1 tsp of dried ginger. One of my favorite cooking hacks is to buy frozen grated ginger from Trader Joes, no grating required! We just pop the 1 tsp cubes into the pot.
Read Also: What Spices Are In Lipton Onion Soup Mix
Tools To Make Egg Drop Soup
Tap the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Stainless Steel Pots and Pans Set This set is an investment, but when taken care of properly, youll never need to buy another set again.
- Asian Soup Spoons Not 100% necessary, but they actually come in really handy for this homemade egg drop soup!
How To Make The Best Keto Egg Drop Soup
Also Check: Lipton Soup Mix Nutrition