Frozen Vs Fresh Broccoli Cheese Soup
How to make broccoli soup with fresh broccoli? What about frozen broccoli? The answer is you can use either one! The instructions are exactly the same .
TIP: The simmer time for the broccoli soup may vary depending on the size of your florets and whether they were fresh or frozen. Frozen broccoli is usually pre-blanched, so it might cook a little quicker once it thaws in the soup , but on the other hand, fresh broccoli doesnt need to thaw first .
No matter what kind you use, youll know its done simmering when the broccoli is soft and tender.
Why Is My Cream Of Broccoli Soup Grainy
If you end up with grainy broccoli cheese soup, its most likely due to the cheese getting too hot. When it cooks at too high of heat or too quickly, then it will curdle and cause a grainy texture. Thats why it is super important not to add the cheese until right before you are serving it. This will prevent it from sitting on the stovetop too long or in the Instant Pot too long. If you follow the directions, you shouldnt have this trouble, but sometimes it can happen.
If your soup ends up grainy, there isnt anything you can do to reverse it, unfortunately. You can still eat it, but the texture and flavor may be slightly off.
Like what you see? ! Love this recipe? Leave a comment & 5-star rating right here! Make sure you dont miss new recipes by getting email updates!
How To Make Broccoli Soup:
Also Check: Things To Do With Cream Of Mushroom Soup
Keto Broccoli And Cheese Soup Recipes
Are you on the hunt for some exciting and new Ketogenic lunch recipes? When youre on this diet, you need to be super strict about what you do and dont eat. That can be tough. However, if youre willing to learn a thing or two in the kitchen, youll find that you can make a whole range of yummy meals.
One of our favorite Keto-friendlyrecipes that doesnt compromise on flavor is our seven-ingredient Keto broccoliand cheese soup. Its absolutely delicious, and perfect for beginner cooks! This easy Keto lunch idea is ayear-round favorite. Keep reading to find out why!
Can I Freeze Broccoli Cheese Soup
Freezing soup is easy to do as long as you have the proper containers. You have two options for freezing. The first option is to use a plastic Tupperware container with a lid. Place the soup inside a large container or two smaller ones and cover the surface with plastic wrap to prevent freezer burn. Then secure the lid on top and freeze for up to 3 months. You can also add your soup to large heavy-duty freezer bags.
Don’t Miss: Lipton Onion Soup Mix Nutrition Information
Ingredients Needed To Make Low Carb Broccoli And Cheese Soup
- Onion and Garlic: These two flavors build the foundation for this delicious soup!
- Chicken Broth: Chicken broth allows the soup to have a good but flavorful liquid base.
- Heavy Whipping Cream, Cream Cheese, and Spices: Using these ingredients, the combination of the chicken broth allows the soup to come into its own and truly become cheesy.
- Xanthan Gum: This is specifically used in this recipe to thicken the soup while keeping it Keto-friendly.
- Bacon: A must-have topping for this soup recipe, bacon adds that top of flavor that you want to find in this classic dish.
Key Ingredients For Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup
Broccoli Fresh or frozen will work here. No need to thaw the frozen broccoli first, either! You could also use cauliflower florets in place of or along with the broccoli. Of course, you wouldnt have keto broccoli cheese soup if you replace all the broccoli with cauliflower!Cheddar Cheese For best results, pick up a good block of cheddar and shred it yourself! You can use prepackaged shredded cheese, but keep in mind that they use anti-caking agents to prevent clumping, which will add unnecessary carbs. They can also make the soup a little grainy.Heavy Cream This makes it nice and creamy. If youre needing a lower fat alternative, you can try using half-and-half instead of heavy cream. Itll be a little thinner, but you could offset that with extra cheese if you want.Spices Optional, but highly, highly, highly recommended! Keto broccoli cheese soup is amazing all on its own, so you dont have to dress it up with spices if you dont want to or dont have them. They make a huge difference, though, in my opinion! I urge you to try it with the spices at least once.
Recommended Reading: Pillsbury Chicken Pot Pie Recipe With Cream Of Chicken Soup
Why Youll Love This Recipe
- With fresh broccoli, our broccoli cheese soup keto recipe lets the flavor of the vegetable take center stage.
- Supporting the broccoli, of course, is a base of onions, garlic, salt, pepper, and just a dash of cayenne. Never too spicy, this low-carb broccoli and cheese soup has the perfect blend of seasonings.
- With heavy cream, cream cheese, and cheddar, our broccoli cheese soup is rich and hearty, yet healthy enough for even the most limiting dietary lifestyles.
How To Make Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup In The Crockpot
The Crockpot process for this low carb keto recipe isnt too different from the stovetop.
As previously mentioned, sautéing the aromatics in salted butter is the key to getting that dynamic flavor that makes this soup so fantastic.
Youll want to do that before adding the rest of the ingredients in.
Then its just a matter of throwing those into the Crockpot with everything else and setting it to cook for 3-4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low.
This is an excellent option for a weeknight dinner or meal prep because you can just leave it and come back to a pot of warm and creamy keto broccoli cheese soup in a few hours!
Read Also: Where Can I Get Soup
Is Panera Broccoli Cheddar Soup Keto
One bowl of Panera Broccoli Cheddar Soup has 24 net carbs. That will zap your keto macros. The recipe also includes carrots and cornstarch which arent keto-friendly. For this recipe, I omitted the carrots, because the soup is yummy without them. I substituted the cornstarch for xanthan gum. Click the link to purchase it from Amazon.
Xanthan gum helps hold ingredients together and is great to use as a thickening agent. You only need about a half a teaspoon for most recipes. Be sure to look for gluten-free xanthan gum as it will not contain wheat.
Keto Broccoli Cheddar Soup
This Keto Broccoli Cheddar Soup is so yummy and filling, you wont even miss the potatoes! Its an excellent low carb option for any Fall meal!
I am ridiculously excited for Fall. Its been this way ever since I was a kid.
Yes, theres a ton of fun to be had in the summer. From vacation, to swimming pools to low carb ice creams but for me theres nothing like cooler weather, falling leaves, sweaters and boots.
So this year, Ive decided to really bulk up Hey Keto Mama with delicious Fall recipes of comfort food to keep your tummies full and warm all season longKeto style!
Todays the start of that. So Im bringing you a brand new, delicious recipe for one of my all time favorites..
Also Check: Golden Cream Of Mushroom Soup
Easy Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup
The best part about this low carb broccoli cheese soup is how easy it is to make.
With some broccoli, a few pantry staples, and a little time, you can have an amazingly rich and creamy broccoli cheese soup ready for dinner or lunch.
At only 4.5g net carbs per cup, youll surely want to try this keto recipe!
Variations On Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Use part cheddar and part blue cheese for a variation on broccoli cheddar soup
- Use part cheddar and part smoked gouda for a smokey broccoli cheese soup.
- Add diced jalepenos for spicy jalapeno popper style soup.
- Replace part of all of the broccoli with cauliflower for a cauliflower cheese soup
- Add cooked chicken or bacon for added protein and flavor
Don’t Miss: Annie Chun’s Pho Soup Bowl
More Keto Soup Recipes
- For best results, and to avoid graininess in your soup, shred the cheese from a block.
- Use a food processor to chop the broccoli quicker.
- If you use salted stock, omit the salt in the recipe and just season at the end, if needed.
- Store extra soup in air-tight containers in the refrigerator. Use within 3-4 days.
How To Thicken Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup
I find that this soup really doesn’t need to be thickened, as the cheese thickens it enough. Nevertheless, here are a few different ways to thicken keto broccoli cheese soup:
- Add a 1/2 teaspoon of xanthan gum to the soup mixture. Only a small amount of xanthan gum is needed, so don’t overdo it. You can find xanthan gum on the baking aisle at your local grocery store, or on Amazon.
- Stir in extra cheese. Be sure to only stir in small portions of cheese at a time to avoid clumpy soup or soup that is too cheesy.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the broccoli. While I prefer the chunks of broccoli over pureed broccoli, this is an easy way to thicken the soup without having to add extra ingredients.
Read Also: Campbell Soup Chicken And Rice Bake
Other Broccoli Recipes Youll Love
This Low Carb Broccoli Cheese Soup recipe is really, really tasty and perfect for cooler weather.
The last couple of weeks have been a lot cooler and I love the first signs of autumn weather. Its been awesome and so nice enjoying some fresh fall air!
Its almost time to be in cozy, warm clothes, light the fireplace, and snuggle up in blankets with a comforting bowl of soup! One of my favorite parts of fall is making soup and this is my new favorite!
How To Make Keto & Low Carb Broccoli & Cheese Soup
Have you made Broccoli Cheese Soup only to end up with a disappointing mess of clumpy, grainy cheese in your pan? I understand! That is why I developed this fool-proof two pan method that makes perfectly creamy clump-free soup every single time. In this post, I also include other essential tips for making the very best smooth and cheesy broccoli soup youll ever put in your mouth.
This soup is easy and doesnt take too long to whip up either! What makes this recipe stand out is the addition of nutmeg, Swiss cheese, and cream cheese. Those ingredients add a ton of flavor and an extra creaminess you will love! This recipe is also crock pot friendly, so choose your method and enjoy!
Also Check: Can You Have Tomato Soup On Keto Diet
Ingredients For The Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup
The ingredients for this keto soup are easy to find and very affordable. Heres what you need:
- fresh broccoli
- cheddar cheese Chose the highest quality you can find, and grate it yourself. Makes a huge difference in flavor. Pre-shredded cheese from the store contains some starches that prevent the quick melt and it wont incorporate well in the soup.
- onion and garlic
- heavy whipping cream: Replace to milk for a low-calorie broccoli cheddar soup. The taste and the creamy texture remain almost the same but it has fewer carries per serving.
- water or veggie stock: Use chicken stock if you prefer.
- salt, pepper, chili powder, nutmeg
Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup
Comforting, classic instant pot broccoli cheese soup made without flour. Cheesy goodness from cream cheese and sharp cheddar. Frozen broccoli works perfectly for this recipe for an easy, affordable weeknight meal.
Soup is warm and comforting, and broccoli cheese soup is one of the main favorites everywhere. Research shows that soup is a natural way to boost weight loss since it keeps you feeling full and satisfied.
Broccoli cheese soup is typically made with a flour and butter roux to thicken it.
For this keto broccoli cheese soup in the Instant Pot , we use cream or half and half, and cream cheese to create a thick consistency.
If you want to use milk, you might need to thicken your soup with a bit of cornstarch mixed in water at the end of cooking.
This keto broccoli cheese soup can also be made in the slow cooker so you can set it in the morning or overnight.
Read Also: Onion Soup Mix Dip Recipe
Simple Broccoli And Cheese Soup
This easy, creamy low carb broccoli cheese soup is probably the easiest recipe youll find. Its also gluten-free, healthy, and can be vegetarian by substituting vegetable broth for the chicken broth. Ive even made it with bone broth before to incorporate the benefits of that.
Youll love that it takes just twenty minutes to prepare, so you can totally throw it together at the last minute on a busy weeknight. Its also an excellent choice as a starter for guests coming over without spending a lot of extra time.
It requires just a few simple ingredients. Best of all, they are so common that, chances are, you have most of them on hand.
Yep, broccoli and cheese soup with only five ingredients. Are you intrigued? All you need is:
- Chicken broth
- Shredded cheddar cheese
To be fair, this makes a very basic broccoli soup recipe. The ingredients and flavors are not complex.
This is intentional! I wanted to keep it simple so that its very accessible to just about anyone.
If you want to change it up, see my tips below on what to add to broccoli cheddar soup.
Is Paneras Broccoli Cheddar Soup Keto Friendly
No. In fact, MOST broccoli and cheese soups are not keto-friendly because flour is usually used as a thickener. According to the ingredients in Paneras soup, three of the ingredients listed are not keto-friendly. They are potato flour, cornstarch, and wheat flour.
With that said, this recipe is 100% keto AND low carb friendly at only 5g net carbs per serving.
Also Check: 7 Day Cabbage Soup Diet
Can You Freeze Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup
Yes, you can easily freeze broccoli cheese soup. Its important to let it cool down, so its not hot when you freeze it. Pour the cooled soup into a glass container, freezer-safe bag, or plastic container. Make sure to leave some room at the top of the container you choose because it will expand and could break or tear.
The low carb broccoli cheese soup will last around 4-6 months in the freezer. Its great to keep on hand, so you have something you can add for a quick dinner option that is ready to go.
What Is Keto Broccoli And Cheese Soup
Who doesnt like the comforting warmth of a freshly-made bowl of soup?
When youre following the Keto diet plan, the guidelines suggest that you should consume less than 50g digestible net carbs each day. That can make finding lunch options difficult, especially if youre used to having a standard sandwich each day.
Luckily, there are many recipes, such as thequick Keto tuna salad, you can make for yourself.
However, if youre on the hunt for something a littlewarmer, why not make a soup instead? This Keto broccoli and cheese soup recipeperfectly aligns with the rules of the diet plan while also being extremelysatisfying and delicious. Boasting oodles of cheesy goodness, healthy broccoli,and other great flavors, you honestly cant go wrong here.
Also Check: Campbell’s Chunky Soup Walmart
Recipe Tips & Variations
- How to avoid clumpy soup: Avoid clumpy soup by adding cheese gradually, and stirring the cheese in a little at a time. This ensures that the cheese is distributed evenly and melted throughout the soup.
- Vegetarian Soup Option: For a completely vegetarian soup, substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth.
- Broccoli Cheese Soup Toppings: A few great toppings for this soup are bacon bits, shredded chicken, extra shredded cheese, and extra steamed broccoli florets.
Can You Make Broccoli Cheese Soup With Frozen Broccoli In A Slow Cooker
Some have asked me if this soup can be made with frozen florets instead of fresh broccoli, the answer is yes. However, you will probably need to reduce the cooking time so that the florets do not get mushy.
I have made the soup both with frozen and fresh broccoli and have had great success with both.
Read Also: Kikkoman Hot And Sour Soup