Get The Latest Recipes Right In Your Inbox:
The creamiest mushroom soup that tastes just like the canned stuff except its so much healthier, creamier and tastier!
Homemade cream of mushroom soup has been on my bucket list for years. And I honestly dont know why it took me so long to make it because this is one of the easiest soups I have ever made. Plus, it tastes a million times better than the canned stuff!
The hardest part about this is probably the slicing of the mushrooms thats it! Once thats done, its smooth sailing and everything gets thrown into the pot. Done and done. And if youre not the biggest wine person, you can also reduce the amount of wine and add more chicken broth as needed.
So there you have it the creamiest of mushroom soups that tastes just like the canned stuff except its so much healthier, creamier and tastier. Plus, this can be made in 30 minutes or less you cant beat that!
Mushroom Soup Without Cream
I really do love extra creamy Mushroom Soup. However, I have to be careful about how much dairy I consume since it is heavy in iodine. Because of this I have successfully made this Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup with nondairy milks many times. To do so simply replace the milk with one of the nondairy milks listed below in the same quantity. These are the nondairy milks that I have had the best results with.
- Unsweetened Flax Milk
- Soy Milk
Is Condensed Mushroom Soup The Same As Cream Of Mushroom Soup
Condensed cream of mushroom soup is thicker than finished cream of mushroom soup. You usually add a liquid, such as milk or water, before you consume it as a soup.
Most recipes that call for cream of mushroom soup are referring to the condensed version.
Soup that is not labeled as condensed, is likely ready to heat and serve.
With our recipe, you can make it thicker or thinner by reducing the liquid or adding more, depending on your needs.
You May Like: Olive Garden Menu Unlimited Soup And Salad
Condensed Cream Of Mushroom Soup Ingredients:
- Mushrooms. Button mushrooms, cremini mushrooms, even a fancier mushroom medley including shiitake or porcini mushrooms would be unbelievable.
- Chicken broth. Homemade, better than bouillon, or store-bought.
- Onion powder. Onion powder dissolves into the soup effortlessly. If youd rather sauté your own onions, add them at the beginning.
- Garlic powder. Or minced fresh garlic no one would stop you.
- Milk. Feel free to use half-and-half, too.
- Salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Fresh herbs. A sprig of thyme, some fresh parsley, or a couple sage leaves would be delicious. Choose one herb, and go with it.
What Goes In Mushroom Soup
So, we had a little debate in the office with smooth vs. chunky mushroom soup and, in the end, landed somewhere right in the middle. Though a lot of the team voted on a chunky soup, in testing the bigger chunks that were less consistent throughout, it was sort ofupsetting? Is that an okay word to use? . But the blended, totally smooth also left us wanting just a little more.
So we compromised with a super-thin slice on everything. After it all cooks and softens, youre left with these little slivery buttery bits of mushroom and garlic throughout to bring a nice bit of even texture to the whole thing but nothing overly slippy, chewy oryou know, upsetting.
We also found that an old halfsies take on the mushroom choice was just right. All button wasnt quite enough richness of flavor, full baby bella felt like a traipse along the forest floor. Though were not necessarily opposed to that, and you could certainly go that route if you stan earthy flavors, we loved it right in the middle. Rich, savory, complex goodness.
- garlic and shallot
- white wine
- heavy cream
And seriously, when tasting and testing this soup, we all thought there must be a million ingredients in this soup with how deep and rich it tastes. But there are not!
So, what were saying is: all hail the mighty mushroom, okay?
Recommended Reading: Knorr Vegetable Soup Recipe
How To Make Cream Of Mushroom Soup
This is a fairly straight-forward simple recipe to make!
Homemade Cream Of Mushroom Soup Recipe
Published February 5, 2021.This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This delicious homemade cream of mushroom soup is loaded with wild mushrooms and comes together in no time.
Recommended Reading: Soup Salad Breadsticks
How To Make Whole30
Whole30 people are genius at making recipes work for them. Try these substitutions for some of the ingredients.
- Palm shortening, avocado oil, coconut oil, or clarified butteryour choice
- Double up on the onion and garlic powder, if needed, to counterbalance the coconut flavor
- ¾ cup full-fat coconut milk, cream included
Instead of flour, thicken the soup in one of the following ways:
- Arrowroot powder, 2 tablespoons/recipe
What Can I Add To Mushroom Soup
Want to add larger chunks and more of them into your mix? Make Instant Pot mushrooms beforehand and fold together at the end.
Read Also: Andy Warhol Campbell Soup Meaning
Whats In Cream Of Mushroom Soup
When we talk about the ingredients in our cream of mushroom soup recipe, we might also talk about whats *not* in a pot of homemade mushroom soup. Why? Because a lot of us grew up eating canned, condensed cream of mushroom soup and while weve got some pretty cozy memories around that canned stuff, it was loaded with sodium and unhealthy preservatives. Meanwhile, this mushroom soup recipe is built completely out of whole foods. Its indulgent, yes, but its also a much better alternative to processed food. Heres what youll need to make cream of mushroom soup from scratch:
- Mushrooms. You can use either cremini or white button, or a mixture of the two. Or, you can even make this with wild mushrooms for an even richer, headier mushroom flavor.
- White wine
- Fresh thyme
- Nutmeg. This might sound odd, but nutmeg is a wonderful partner for cream-based soups like this! It adds a hint of warmth that is subtle but powerful. Its OK to skip it, but we think it makes a wonderful addition.
- Garlic & onion powder
- Dijon mustard
- Stock. Veggie stock will make this a completely vegetarian soup, or you can use chicken stock if thats not a concern.
- Heavy cream
- Cornstarch. This is an optional ingredient. Basically, cornstarch can be mixed with water to make a paste or slurry, which acts as a thickener for the soup.
How Do You Make Easy Creamy Cauliflower Soup
When reading Roasted Cauliflower Soup you may be thinking, why not just boil it?Why not make it easier? The truth is cauliflower is pretty bland and begs for flavour.
You can flavour a boiled cauliflower soup with as many seasonings as you have, but it doesnt come close to the flavours that are naturally baked into roasted cauliflower.
To add to those delicious flavours, youre going to mix cauliflower florets with smashed whole garlic cloves and sliced onion drizzle over some olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Recommended Reading: Pillsbury Crescent Roll Chicken Pot Pie
Cream Of Mushroom Soup Recipe Instructions
Prep time: 5 minutes Cook time: 5 minutes Yield: 2 ½ cups
This soup is so simple. Youre going to love it!
In a small bowl, whisk together flour and 1 cup milk until well combined. Set aside.
In a small sauté pan, melt butter and sauté onion and mushrooms together until soft and fragrant. Remove from heat and set aside.
In a medium saucepan, bring to a boil chicken broth and remaining 1/2 cup of milk together with seasonings .
Add milk and flour mixture to saucepan and continue to whisk until the soup thickens.
Stir in cooked onions and mushrooms, and remove from heat.
Let cool. If you are not using right away, cover and store in the refrigerator.
Cream Of Mushroom Soup Gravy
This cream of mushroom soup gravy is a classic comfort food that can be used to top mashed potatoes, chicken, beef, or pork. This simple and easy recipe can be made in minutes and is a great way to add flavor to your meal.
This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my affiliate policy here.
Don’t Miss: Soup Kitchen Nyc Volunteer Opportunities
How To Make It From Scratch
Follow along with these simple instructions for how to make this delicious homemade cream of mushroom soup from scratch:
Caramelize the onions in butter in a large pot over low heat until very browned and sweet, about 45 minutes
Prepare the mushrooms while the onions are cooking.
Next, add the garlic and mushrooms to the pot and sauté for 15-20 minutes on high heat.
Deglaze with white wine and cook until it has been absorbed by the mushrooms.
Stir in the flour until it is completely mixed in.
Puree the soup using a hand blender or regular blender until smooth.
Finish by stirring in cream, salt, pepper, parsley, and thyme, and serve.
Top 5 Tips For Making Homemade Cream Of Mushroom Soup
- Remember that the mushroom variety you choose will determine how mushroomy the finished soup is. Button mushrooms will be mild. Soup made from cremini and gourmet mushroom mixes will have an earthier flavor.
- Broths and stocks can vary quite a bit in terms of salt content. If you arent working with homemade stock or a brand that youre very familiar cooking with, look for low sodium labels, and add kosher salt to the soup, to taste.
- Dont worry if the soup looks a little gloppy when the liquid is first added. Stir well and the roux coating the mushrooms will melt into the soup as it simmers for a velvety base.
- Unfortunately, this soup is not a good stand-in for recipes calling for condensed cream of mushroom soup, even when calling for it to be reconstituted. Canned condensed soups often contain additional thickening starches. This soup, made just with a flour roux and heavy cream, wont behave the same way.
- If youre going to make the soup ahead of time for the freezer, remember to leave out the heavy cream and add it after reheating.
Also Check: Bear Creek Tortilla Soup Recipes
Cream Of Mushroom Soup Recipe
Cream of Mushroom Soup is a dreamy creamy soup full of delicately flavored sautéed mushrooms and herbs. If you love the taste of cream of mushroom soup, but can stand the canned version, this is for you! This is a fancy, thick, rich, restaurant worthy soup you can whip up at home in no time.
Its a mushroom lovers soup dream come true. Serve this scrumptious soup with a side of Homemade Parker House Rolls, and some vegetables that are either Stir Fried or Air Fried for a complete yummy meal.
How To Make The Best Cream Of Mushroom Soup
Recommended Reading: Lipton Onion Soup Mix Low Sodium
How To Make Garlic Mushrooms
For my recipe, you only need a handful of ingredients:
- Unsalted butter use unsalted to control the amount of salt added.
- Olive oil just a little oil added to the butter gets them nice and crispy on the outer edges and prevents the butter from burning.
- Garlic please use fresh where you can.
- Herbs we love parsley and thyme, but you can use oregano, rosemary, basil, etc.
- Salt and pepper.
Onion green, red, yellow or white! This is an optional ingredient BUT I find it enhances the garlic flavour.Dry white wine also optional. If youve never added wine to your garlic mushrooms, you wont regret trying it.
Thats it! The two additional ingredients of white wine and onion is what makes this recipes stand out from regular garlic mushrooms in a good and tasty way!
Simple Mushroom Soup Recipe
There are many people who veer away from canned soups because of the high sodium content. I get it. My husband has high blood pressure too and its always best to know exactly whats in your food. If you make it from scratch you can adjust spices to your liking.
- With that said, when I am in a hurry I will use the Campbells variety.
- I have a stack of cream of mushroom as well as cream of chicken ready when I dont have milk or heavy cream on hand.
Read Also: Campbell’s Broccoli Rice Casserole
Classic Low Carb Vegetable Soup Is Versatile To Suit Your Taste Perfect Keto Recipe Or A Low Carb Diet
Whether you follow Weight Watchers, a Keto diet or a low carb diet, homemade vegetable soup is the perfect food to have in your refrigerator when youre looking to enjoy a quick meal or snack.
Loaded with vibrant vegetables and a beef or chicken broth base, our Vegetable Soup soothes the soul. Make it low or high in fat depending on your dietary needs.
What Kind Of Mushrooms Should I Use
The beautiful thing about this recipe is that you can use whichever mushrooms youd like. If you have a specific breed that you love, then absolutely use it. My suggestion would be to use mushrooms that on sale and readily available, if not this soup can get very expensive. Here are some of my favorite mushrooms to use:
You May Like: Aldi Soup Mix
How To Can Homemade Cream Of Mushroom Soup
Start by preparing your pressure canner, jars and lids. Youll need eight 1-pint jars. It is not recommended that quart jars be used for any recipe with mushrooms. Fill the pressure canner with a few inches of water, according to the manufacturers instructions, and put the canner on the stove over low heat with the jars inside to stay hot. This is a hot-pack recipe, so the water needs to be about 180°F .Make your homemade soup according to the directions in the recipe card below.Remove the soup from the heat and ladle it into the prepared jars. Ladle the solids into each jar first so that each jar has about the same amount. Then divide the liquid among the jars, leaving 1 inch of headspace.
Remove the bubbles with a bubble removal tool and recheck the headspace. If you end up short of liquid, top the jars off with boiling water. Wipe the rims with a clean, damp cloth. Put the lids and bands on the jars and load them into the pressure canner.
Process the jars, according to the manufacturers instructions, at 10 psi for 45 minutes for 1-pint jars, adjusting for altitude if necessary. Please see the chart below for altitude adjustments.
After processing, allow the canner to depressurize naturally, then remove the jars and let them cool on the counter for at least 12 hours. Check the seals and store the jars for up to 1 year.
To Make This Homemade Condensed Cream Of Mushroom Soup You Will Need:
- unsalted butter
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
With the holiday season quickly approaching I thought there was no better time. This is so ridiculously simple, Im preparing to put you-know-who out of business.
Melt the 3 tablespoons of butter in a 10-inch skillet.
Add in 2 tablespoons minced shallots. Sauté them until they are just about soft, about 3-5 minutes.
Next, add in 1/2 to 2/3 cup minced cremini mushrooms and the leaves from 2 thyme sprigs if using.
Stir and cook for two to three minutes or until soft.
Sprinkle in 2-1/2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour. Stir and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
In a measuring cup, combine the milk and the broth. While whisking pour in the milk/broth combo into the skillet.
Keep whisking until smooth. Let this simmer until it thickens, about 5-8 minutes.
Season with a little kosher salt. Keep in mind youll be adding this to a recipe that more than likely will be calling for salt. Lastly grind in some fresh black pepper too!
It does take a few extra minutes and dirtying a couple dishes, but I promise you its so worth it. Make this in larger batches and freeze in individual can size portions and simply defrost when you need it!
Also Check: Fat Burning Soup Diet Plan