Is Cheese And Broccoli Soup Healthy
Are broccoli soups eal good for you? Cheese soup tends to be a bad option for most people because many of the ingredients are heavy and pungent. skim milk that is evaporated rather than blended there are fewer cheeses in this version. The soup has also incorporated some carrots that are blended into it for added creaminess.
How To Make Broccoli Cheddar Soup
A few Broccoli Cheese Soup recipes have so little broccoli you need some sort of magnifying equipment to find it. NOT THIS ONE!
- Start by frying onions and garlic in melted butterthis is where the flavour starts.
- Whisk in flourthis is where the consistency comes in.
- Add in your seasoningsthis is where FLAVOUR PART TWO continues.
- Follow with an abundance of broccoli and carrots, then cheese THIS IS WHERE THIS BROCCOLI CHEESE SOUP IS ONE OF THE BEST YOULL TRY!
- Get your bread rolls ready and DIP!
Broccoli Cheddar Soup Ingredients:
To make this easy broccoli cheddar soup recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- Butter or olive oil: We will use these to sauté the veggies and form part of our roux.
- Broccoli: 1 large head of broccoli, chopped into bite-sized florets.
- Veggies: Onions and carrots, nice and diced.
- Seasonings: Garlic, a touch of Dijon mustard, salt and pepper.
- Flour: To make a roux and thicken the soup.
- Veggie stock: Or chicken stock would also work.
- Milk: I typically make this soup with 2% milk, but feel free to sub in your preferred kind of cows milk or a plain non-dairy milk.
- Sharp cheddar cheese: The type of cheese you use will really make a difference in this soup, so I recommend springing for a good one! Im partial to aged sharp white cheddar myself.
Don’t Miss: Chunky Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
How To Make Broccoli Soup:
1. To a large pot add your olive oil and heat on medium-high heat for 1 minute before adding onions. Cook the onions for 7 minutes or until translucent. Into the pot add your garlic and potatoes. Cook them for 5 minutes while stirring often to avoid burning. Scrape any brown bits that develop at the base of the pot with a wooden spoon. Add your broccoli and cook for around 15 minutes, with lid on, on medium-low heat.
2. Go ahead and add your green kale and cook for 2 minutes.
3. Increase heat to high and add your vegetable stock, salt and pepper. Bring soup to a boil then simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender.
4. Once potatoes are tender and the milk and stir till well combined. Remove soup from heat and blend in a high-speed blender till smooth and creamy. You can also enjoy chunky or blended half and half, the choice is yours.
5. Return the blended soup to the pot and stir in your cheese of choice. Stir till melted and till perfectly silky! Test for seasoning before serving. If the soup is too thick or rich, just add more vegetable stock and stir till well combined and heat till hot throughout.
6. Serve with fresh garlic bread and top with cracked pepper and a small drizzling of olive oil!
7. Before plating check for seasoning. To serve, scoop and top with chickpeas, fresh cilantro and a drizzling of olive oil.
How To Thicken Broccoli Cheese Soup
Broccoli cheese soup is one of the best ways to start off your holiday season!
Its not only an easy, delicious meal but also very simple to make.
However, broccoli cheese soup is not the easiest recipe to get right.
If you are looking to thicken your broccoli cheese soup but dont know what to do, Ive got you covered!
Recommended Reading: Blender That Makes Soup And Ice Cream
A Little Different To The Usual
Youll find many creamy broccoli soups are made with a roux, being melted butter mixed with flour which thickens the soup, then broccoli pieces are tossed in and cooked in that thickened soup.
I prefer making broccoli soup by cooking the broccoli until soft then blitzing it up to make a naturally thick and creamy soup. This way you actually get lovely broccoli flavour in the soup, rather than a generic creamy broth with bits of broccoli in it. Bonus is that its healthier!
What You Need For Creamy Broccoli Soup
Heres all you need:
broccoli fresh or frozen
butter, garlic and onion flavour base
chicken or vegetable broth/stock + water for simmering / soup broth
cheese & cream for finishing
Cream is optional! Does it make it tastier? Of course it does! Anyone who tells you otherwise is outright lying. It adds a layer of richness that you dont get if you skip it or use milk instead.
But I make it without cream most of the time because cream isnt part of my standard weekly shop. Still delicious, still creamy, still cheesy just better for your waistline!
Don’t Miss: Bear Creek Gumbo Soup Mix
How To Make Broccoli Cheddar Soup:
To make this broccoli cheese soup recipe, simply
Any leftover broccoli and cheese soup can be stored in sealed containers for up to 3 days. Unfortunately, this soup does not freeze well, so I dont recommend it.
How To Make It
And heres how to make it. A quick saute of garlic and onion to create the flavour base, then tip everything else in a simmer away: chicken or vegetable stock/broth, water, broccoli and potato.
When the broccoli is very tender blitz away until it all purees into a thick, creamy soup. Then stir in the cream and cheese and serve.
The hit of cheddar cheese in this broccoli soup adds flavour and an element of tasty naughtiness into an otherwise very healthy soup.
I stir most in the soup but I like to reserve bit to sprinkle on top. Because by the time the soup gets to the table, that extra cheese starts to ooze so when you dunk the bread into it, it looks like this..
There really is something about dunking crusty bread into thick and creamy soups, isnt there??? Luckily, I have a decent selection of soup dunkers around these parts!!
Don’t Miss: Williams Sonoma Soup Bowl With Handle
The Best Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
This is the best broccoli cheese soup. Not only that, its some of the best soup Ive ever tasted, period.
If you like Paneras broccoli cheddar soup, this blows the pants off it.
Its an easy soup to make and is ready in 1 hour. Its absolutely perfect comfort food and I couldnt stop eating it. I ate it for lunch and dinner for a couple straight days until it was gone. I loved this soup beyond words.
I kept the soup vegetarian by using low-sodium vegetable stock rather than chicken stock, and made it healthier by using fat-free half-and-half. But youd think that it was made with heavy cream based on how thick, rich, and truly decadent it tastes.
Why Is My Broccoli Cheddar Soup Runny
Im having trouble judging broccoli seasoning. Why is it so broccoli cheese SOUP GRAINY OR CURDLED? It is possible for this to happen due to high temperatures. Cheese is generally made of amino acid, which tightens and expels fat from it. With that grainy consistency, there is a sense that it has curdled.
Also Check: Campbell’s Tomato Basil Soup Recipe
How Do You Reheat Soup
To Reheat In Your Microwave: Cover loosely with a microwave safe lid and microwave on high heat setting for 2-3 minutes, or until hot. Stir halfway through heating time.
For Stove Top: Pour soup into a pot or sauce pan. Heat, while stirring occasionally being careful not to bring to a rapid oil, until hot.
This Simple Creamy Broccoli And Cheddar Soup Recipe Is Easy To Make And Filled With Delicious Cheese Broccoli Carrots And Cream Perfectly Hearty And Comforting And Ready To Enjoy In Around 30 Minutes
-My Dominican Kitchen
2 tablespoons butter ½ cup white onion , chopped 2 cloves garlic , minced 1 large carrot , pilled and cubed 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour 3 cups chicken stock 1 cup cream 1 cup milk 4 cups fresh broccoli , chopped 1 teaspoon salt ½ teaspoon ground black pepper ¼ teaspoon nutmeg 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese , freshly-grated
You May Like: Gluten Free French Onion Soup Canned
Why Is My Cheese Not Melting
Various factors determine whether or not a cheese is capable of melting well. There is no point in doing well without moisture and possibly most importantly with it. The texture of a cheese will also be softer if it has a lot of moisture. Additionally, the milk proteins of the cheeses will have more loosely packed packaging. Cheese that contains a lot of fat will melt better, too.
Is This Paneras Broccoli Cheddar Soup Gluten
Part of the thickening agent in this soup is the flour in the roux. Theres only 1/4 cup and you can definitely leave it out but your soup will not be as thick.
You can thicken it at the very end if needed by creating a cornstarch slurry.
Add a couple tablespoons of cornstarch to a small bowl and add water until it forms a paste. Whisk in this mixture at the end of cooking to thicken up the soup.
Don’t Miss: Panera Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe
How Do You Fix Broccoli Cheddar Soup That Is Clumpy
An already curdled soup should be reheated with ice and reduced the heat rapidly for ten minutes or so to bring it back together again. whisking continually as you add further cream as necessary prior to mixing in the soup. you fail to use the above steps, turn the soup over in a blender until smooth with the help of a fork.
Can You Freeze Broccoli Cheddar Soup
To refrigerate:Place any leftover soup in airtight containers and refrigerate for up to 3-4 days. Reheat on the stove-top over medium-low heat.
To freeze: Place in freezer-safe zip bags and freeze flat or in freezer-safe containers. To reheat, thaw completely then warm on low heat to prevent curdling.
Read Also: Gluten Free Soups At Walmart
Equipment Notes & Suggestions
This section contains affiliate links, which means I might earn a small commission if you place an order through them .
This recipe yields a substantial amount of soup . If you are serving two people or dont want a lot of leftovers, you could easily cut the ingredients in half. Heres what youll need to make it:
- I swear that soups always taste better when theyre cooked in a Dutch oven. I used my 5.5-quart Le Creuset for this recipe. A large, heavy-bottomed soup pot will also work well.
- Youll need a lid for the pot. In a pinch, you could use a metal baking sheet.
- If you are making the full batch, youll need to blend it in batches in your stand blender. I could not blend the full batch at once in my Vitamix. Transfer the blended portion to a heat-proof pitcher or container as you blend the rest, then combine it all in the soup pot.
- Or, you could use an immersion blender. The trouble with immersion blenders is that they never yield soup as creamy as you could accomplish in your stand blender. I wish it werent true!
Safety note: Never fill a stand blender past the maximum fill line, or you could end up with a giant mess . You need to know how your blender works. My lids design allows for steam to escape, but if yours doesnt, youll want to remove the center piece so the contents dont build pressure as they blend. Cover the hole with a tea towel, but dont place your hand over it because the steam is hot.
Recommended Tools To Make This Recipe
- Immersion Blender. The easiest and least messy way to create creamy soups.
- Classic Dutch Oven. If you love making homemade soups on the stove, this is a worthy investment piece.
- Ladle. An essential tool for transferring soups to bowls and storage containers.
Cheesy broccoli cauliflower soup for the healthy meal win! If you try this recipe, please leave a comment to let me know how it goes. I love hearing from you!
Don’t Miss: Campbell’s Condensed Chicken Noodle Soup
Minute Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Healthy broccoli cheddar soup packed with carrots, broccoli, garlic, and cheese. This creamy velvety soup is much better than Paneras broccoli cheddar soup and can be made in under 30 minutes for a fraction of the price! Soup is an essential winter meal and when it comes to picking our absolute favorite soup, this cheddar broccoli soup has earned the #1 spot. Its a favorite of kids because of its creamy texture and cheesy flavor, and loved by parents because its secretly loaded with a ton of nutritious veggies.
If youve ever had Paneras broccoli cheddar soup then you will LOVE this soup. Its almost a copycat version of it except with much more flavor and texture.
The soup is made with an almost caramelized onion and garlic-based and thickened with a roux then simmered with veggie stock, broccoli, and carrots. At the very end, half & half and freshly grated cheddar cheese are added to give it a velvety smooth texture.
The result is a deliciously rich, thick and creamy broccoli soup that is loaded with the comforting flavors of broccoli and cheddar.
Tips For The Best Broccoli And Cheese Soup
Broccoli: I love broccoli and used plenty because I prefer big chunks of broccoli in every bite but you can use less.
I also used some stalks to make use of the entire head and not waste any, but you can use florets only if preferred. Even people who dont like broccoli should love broccoli when its bathed in a creamy, cheesy broth.
Spices: There are a few optional spices like smoked paprika, mustard powder, and cayenne pepper. Theyre not mandatory if you dont keep them on hand, but they do add extra depth of flavor, albeit subtle. The cayenne doesnt make the soup hot in the least, it makes it not taste boring.
Recipe prep: Read the recipe at least twice before beginning because while its a simple soup, there are a few fast-moving stages. While one thing is simmering, you need to be chopping for the next stage, while stirring the simmering pot intermittently between chopping.
Youll be rewarded with the best, creamiest, richest, and most amazing soup.
You May Like: Is Tom Kha Soup Keto
Is Broccoli And Cheese Healthy
You should make this a side dish!! Its important to note that broccoli has fiber and Vitamin C, which is essential for balanced brain and body health. One cup of raw broccoli is nearly as spicy. It gives you 3 grams of fiber and you get 140% of your regular vitamin dose . Moderate cheese can be found in this variety.
What Cheeses Melt Best
follow the below tips to make Asian sauces, such as Cheggon, cheddar cheese, colby cheese, fontina cheese, Gouda cheese, Gruyre cheese, Havarti cheese, Monterey jack cheese and Muenster cheese, you are guaranteed a smooth sauce. A rind-less blue cheese or soft cheese, such as Camembert or Brie, will still melt very well.
Recommended Reading: Soup Bowls With Handles Amazon
Why This Recipe Works
Smooth, mouthwatering, and creamy this quick and easy cream of broccoli soup is made in just one pot and takes less than thirty minutes.
Filled with fresh broccoli and a few other pantry staples, this soup is one of my go-to weeknight meals because its easy to make and easy to clean up. Plus, this vegetarian soup is a sneaky way I can get my family to eat some greens.
Surprisingly, broccoli is not a much loved veggie in my house, so I like to find creative ways to disguise it in soups like this, or in a mixed vegetable curry or pasta Ill try anything!
I chose not to use cream in this cream of broccoli soup. Instead, I pureed the broccoli and milk together, which creates a smooth, creamy texture.
You can also garnish the soup with some cream before serving to add an extra layer of richness and flavor.
I like to serve my creamy broccoli soup with a toasted buttered bread or baguette to soak up every last bite.
How To Make This Creamy Greek Style Broccoli Soup
You May Like: Low Fodmap Chicken Soup Base