How To Make Potato Soup
So heres our Russet. Each of the big guys weighs about a pound. Peel em up and chop them pretty small, about 1/2 inch or so. You should end up with about 4 cups, but its ok to be slightly over or under to use what you have on hand.
Now, peel and chop up 1-3 carrots, depending on size. Dice them up nice and small. You want about a cup, more or less, you do you.
Can You Use Instant Potatoes Instead Of Potato Flakes
Fresh-cooked, mashed, or instant potatoes are good choices. When you use potato flakes instead of the regular flaky texture, youll taste your potato flavor more clearly. As they are high in salt, potatoes have a lot of calorie content. Adding them to an easy recipe will make it gooey or sticky or not mix as well.
Tips For Making Instant Pot Loaded Potato Soup:
- I use yellow/gold potatoes in this soup but others can be substituted: russet or red potatoes work as well.
- Freshly shredded cheese is best since it melts better. But pre-shedded cheese will work too!
- I like to use a mild cheddar in this recipe but you can use sharp or medium if you would like a more potent flavor.
- A potato masher is used to mash up the potatoes. You can choose how chunky or creamy you like this. For a super smooth soup, you can also use an immersion blender.
- If you find the soup came out too thin, its an easy fix. Just make a slurry of cornstarch and water and stir it in. Turn the pot on the sauté setting. It will begin to thicken. Stir often.
- Store bought packaged bacon pieces work well in a pinch.
Read Also: Low Carb Low Sodium Soup
How To Make Potato Soup In An Instant Pot
- Prep: On the Instant Pot, press saute and wait until the display says Hot. If you havent peeled and chopped your russet potatoes yet, do that while youre waiting.
- Add butter, onion, garlic, and thyme to the pot. Saute for 5 minutes or until onions are translucent. Watch for burning garlic! Press cancel.
- Stir in potatoes, broth, salt, and pepper and close the lid. Use a wooden spoon to scrape up any brown bits at the bottom of the pot. They will add lots of flavour. Turn the pressure valve to Sealing. Pressure cook on high for 5 minutes.
It will take some time for the pressure to build. 5 minutes is just the cook time!
- While the soup is cooking, cook bacon in batches in a non-stick skillet on medium heat until crispy. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to cool off before chopping in to bits.
Do this in advance and use the bacon drippings to saute the garlic, onions, and thyme for even more flavour!
- Once the cooking time is over it will beep. Do a 3-minute natural release and then release the remaining pressure using the quick-release method.
- Open the lid and add the milk. Mash potatoes with a masher until desired consistency. The pressure cooker will have made the potatoes so tender that it wont be difficult to mash. Use an immersion blender for a few quick pulses. Careful not to over mix.
- Serve hot garnished with your favorite toppings! My family loves the classic potato bacon soup, green onion, and grated cheese combo.
How To Make Cream Soup With Potato Flakes
They may seem like something created in a lab, but instant potato flakes are little more than cooked and dehydrated potatoes. The product is useful for making mashed potatoes, but also works well as a thickening agent. Combined with vegetables and soup stock, for example, instant potatoes turn thin vegetable soup into a rich, satisfying meal.
Read Also: Pacific Foods Cream Of Chicken Soup
Can You Add Instant Mashed Potatoes To Soup
Making some instant mashed potatoes with your soup at home will give a festively themed display of thin sadness. Yes, you are in touch with the right information. It doesnt matter how little instant mash is added, for as long as you stir everything together like Smash, your soup will thicken so quickly.
How To Make Pressure Cooker Potato Soup
Start by gathering the ingredients for the Loaded Baked Potato Soup. If you are missing an ingredient, check out the list of ingredient swaps before you make an extra trip to the store.
Don’t Miss: Round Soup Spoons Stainless Steel
Instant Pot Loaded Potato Soup
Jodi / /
Instant Pot Loaded Potato Soup is a gluten-free soup thats simple to make and is packed with potatoes and corn. A 30-minute meal that kids love.
It is FINALLY that time of the year to start serving soup for dinner. At my house, my family and I love to enjoy a hot bowl of soup on a cold winter night. And here in the Midwest, there are plenty of cold nights!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Up until now, my favorite potato soup was my Crockpot Potato Soup. But sometimes, there just isnt time to let that soup cook all day in the slow cooker.
Related: A Beginners Guide To Everything You Need To Know About Your Instant Pot & How To Use An Instant Pot
I decided to create a new soup recipe for us to enjoy this season. Because my instant pot has made its way up on my list of favorite kitchen tools, I decided to convert this favorite soup into an Instant Pot soup recipe! And let me say, its just as good and is super quick to make.
Instant Pot Potato Soup is a creamy flavor-packed soup recipe. Your family and friends will think you have spent hours in the kitchen but little do they know, you prepped and cooked this recipe in under 25 minutes!
How To Make This Easy Potato Soup
1. Start by placing the potatoes in a large pot . Add 2 cups of water, season, then boil the potatoes until tender do NOT drain!
2. Whisk the evaporated milk and the soups together in a large bowl.
3. Pour the soup mixture over the potatoes and stir carefully. Bring to a simmer and cook for 3-5 minutes, until heated through.
Serve the soup immediately with your favorite toppings we like crumbled bacon, green onion and cheddar!
Recommended Reading: Kikkoman Egg Flower Soup Mix
Can You Freeze Creamy Potato Soup
Bad news guys. Unlike almost every other soup, Potato Soup does not freeze well. It is best enjoyed within 3-5 days of making. Time to invite some friends over for a soup party to finish it up. Because potatoes are so starchy, they tend to absorb a lot of moisture. This means that during the thawing process they take on extra moisture and can become very grainy. Also, some dairy based soups have a tendency to separate and lose their creaminess after freezing. Its definitely best enjoyed immediately!
How To Make Crockpot Potato Soup:
- First, you will start by washing, peeling, and cubing 5 russet potatoes. As you can see in the picture below your cubes should be about ½ inch thick, it does not have to be perfect by any means.
- Add your cubed potatoes to the bottom of a 6-quart or larger slow cooker then add the seasonings and broth to cover. You can use chicken or vegetable broth for this recipe.
- Cook the soup on low for 6-8 hour or on high for 3-4 hours.
- If you cooked your soup on low then next you will want to turn the crockpot up to the high position.
- Mix together your cornstarch with COLD water until smooth and stir into the soup to thicken.
- Next, spoon your sour cream into a medium bowl and add a few Tablespoons of liquid from the slow cooker right to the sour cream and stir. This will keep the sour cream from curdling in your soup!
- Add the sour cream, cream cheese, and cheddar and stir until the cheese is melted.
Also Check: Lipton Onion Soup Roasted Potato Recipe
Have Questions We Have Answers
How Do You Use The Soup On The Instant Pot?
The soup button is supposed to help control the temperature so that it isnt boiling too much, but I rarely use it. You can skip using the soup button on the instant pot and instead just go for the manual pressure button
How Do You Thicken Potato Soup with Instant Potatoes?
We wouldnt recommend thickening potato soup with instant potatoes. It could give the soup an odd flavor. Instead add flour to thicken the osup
Can I Steam Potatoes In the Instant Pot?
You can use the instant pot to steam potatoes, but its not necessary for this recipe!
You May Like: Soup Nation Menu
What Is The Best Potato To Use For Soup
You can use any potato in potato soup. Red potatoes, baby potatoes, russet potatoes, and yellow potatoeswill all work. I like to make this soup with yukon gold potatoes or russet potatoes.
Russet potatoes have the highest starch content in potatoes, which makes them thicken up considerably. If you love a thick, hearty bowl of potato soup russets are your best bet.
Yukon gold potatoes are creamier, resulting in a very rich, smooth soup!
You May Like: Lipton Onion Soup Mix Recipes Potatoes
Don’t Miss: Chicken Noodle Soup Delivery San Francisco
What Kind Of Potatoes Do You Use For Soup
ANSWER: Waxy potatoes or those called boiling potatoes stand up well in soups and stews. These have thin skin and are high in moisture and low in starch. Potatoes that are low-starch and high-moisture hold together better. Yukon Gold potatoes are on the medium-starch side and will hold their shape in soups.
Instant Potato Soup Mix
I started making this instant potato soup mix to take camping. It makes for a great filling soup perfect instant lunch with a sandwich. Since the mix doesnt need refrigeration and you just add hot water to make the soup, its perfect to take camping or keep at your desk at work.
These days, I have a jar of this sitting in the pantry at all times. It makes a great instant snack or lunch or even a light dinner with some cheese toast or the likes.
- 2 cups instant mashed potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups powdered milk
- 2 tbsp instant chicken or vegetable bouillon
- 2 tsp dried onion flakes
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
Don’t Miss: Chicken Soup Books For Kids
How To Make Instant Pot Loaded Potato Soup Step By Step
How To Make Potato Soup In Instant Pot
Also Check: Eating Cabbage Soup To Lose Weight
What Can I Use To Thicken Potato Soup
To dissolve the cornstarch, add one cup of liquid to two tablespoons. Add until you reach the dissolved powder level. The mixture should be slowly added to the hot soup. Each step should be repeated. The soup should be brought to a low boil and should be cooking within 30 seconds. Thin soups with cheese may be even thin and sweet since cheese can add a layer and flavor.
Best Instant Pot Potato Soup Recipe
The Best Instant Pot Potato Soup Recipe that is full of loaded baked potato flavor! Easy to make in the pressure cooker in under 30 minutes. Easily made dairy free, vegan, paleo and Whole30 friendly!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and more about affiliatelinks.
Instant Pot Potato Soup is one of the best, easiest soups to make! Rich and creamy with lots of flavor its the perfect canvas for lots of toppings or for dunking a big piece of crusty bread!
This loaded baked potato soup is easily made in your pressure cooker in under 30 minutes. It takes under 10 minutes of prep time and is SO easy to make.
You May Like: Blender That Makes Soup And Ice Cream
Quick Potato Soup Recipe With Bacon And Cheddar
by Mindi Cherry
I love a good potato soup and while my go-to recipe is this my go-to recipe is always my easy potato soup recipe, it does take 8 hours in the crockpot to cook and sometimes I want something that I can whip up quickly and next to my Crockpot tomato soup recipe, this is one of my favorite easy soup recipes!
I am not usually a fan of instant potatoes, but I can often get them for just pennies just by following the deals at the grocery stores and using coupons, so I will usually keep a few of these packets on hand just for making this quick potato soup recipe!
This soup is hearty enough to serve as a meal all on its own
To make it, you will need:
- 1 box or 2 Envelopes Betty Crocker Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- 2 cans Evaporated Milk
- Saute bacon and onions, in a medium saute pan, until browned. Set aside.
- Over low heat, in a medium sauce pan, cook flour until pasty. Slowly add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Stir in bacon and onion mixture, potatoes, and instant potatoes. Simmer for 30 minutes and then blend in half and half. Serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 306.6 calories, Carbohydrate 34.3 g, Cholesterol 25.5 mg, Fat 14.2 g, Fiber 4 g, Protein 10.7 g, SaturatedFat 5.7 g, Sodium 772.7 mg, Sugar 2.4 g
Are Potato Flakes And Instant Mashed Potatoes The Same Thing
Occasionally, mashed potato flakes are known as potato buds because they are filled with dehydrated dehydrated potatoes on the side. You can reconstitute them with hot water or milk and youll get mashed potatoes out of it. In spite of what everyone else tells you, potato flakes take over the place of mashed potatoes when making them from scratch.
Also Check: Salisbury Steak With Lipton Onion Soup Recipes
Instant Pot Potato Soup
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Creamy, delicious and easy Instant Pot Potato Soup is the perfect quick dinner recipe. It uses frozen cubed hash browns for easy prep! Dont forget to garnish it with bacon, cheese and more.
Hearty potato soup made easy in your electric pressure cooker! This easy soup recipe needs to be on your must-make list if you have an Instant Pot. Its ready in 15 minutes!
We love our Instant Pot soup recipes around here, and during the cold winter months, soup is one of my favorite things to make for dinner. The only rule I have is that it needs to be filling, comforting, easy, and delicious. This IP potato soup recipe checks all of those boxes.
If youre craving a warm bowl of soup, this recipe is for you!
How Long Will Potato Soup Keep In The Refrigerator
I recommend eating this soup within 2-3 days for best flavor and results. To reheat, you can add it to a saucepan and cook over medium heat until warmed through.
While you can freeze potato soup, keep in mind that dairy-based soups don’t hold up very well in the freezer. Freezing this soup could alter the texture or cause the dairy to separate.
Recommended Reading: Grilled Cheese And Tomato Soup