Cheesy Potato Soup Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Cheesy Potato Soup is filled with hearty vegetables, potatoes, and lots of cheese! This cheesy potato chowder is a great soup to chow down on during cold winter nights. Its warm, its easy to make, and its so delicious. This cheesy potato soup recipe is perfect!
Tips From The Betty Crocker Kitchens
- tip 1 A classic baking potato is the russet, which is one of the most starch-filled in the world of spuds. That starch is released as the potatoes cook in the broth, becoming part of the underpinning of a rich, thick soup.
- tip 2 Think outside of the bowl for serving up soup. Serve in mugs for an extra cozy feel, or hallow out a round loaf of bread to create a bread bowl.
- tip 3 Because of the millk and sour cream used in this recipe, it’s not a candidate for freezing.
- tip 4 A quick route to uniformly crisp pieces of bacon is to cut the slices crosswise into 1/2 inch pieces. Scrape them into the large skillet and fry them over medium heat until deeply golden brown.
Can You Freeze This Potato Soup
Yes absolutely. This recipe doesnt make the biggest portion to start with but can always double to freeze some for next time. I have been freezing sauces like my Dads Slow Cooker Spaghetti Sauce and my Instant Pot Steak House Chili in Zip Lock bags once cooled so that they lay flat in the freezer.
Magpies Cheesy Bacon Potato Soup
Craving this Cheesy Bacon Potato Soup while sick with a cold was a conundrum and a half. Should I get off the couch and make it for supper after dreaming about it? Or should I ask the teenager to make it or just have a tomato sandwich and a nap, leaving the family to fend for themselves later on?
Potato Soup In The Crockpot Instant Pot Or Stovetop
The real trick to this being a great potato soup is that you add bacon and cheese for flavour, of course. The bacon just takes this over the top and makes it the best potato soup Ive ever tasted. I usually make this potato soup in the crockpot as its the perfect soup to cook slowly. You can easily make this on the stove top however, and the Instant Pot! There are directions for each one in the recipe below!.
Read Also: Lipton Onion Soup Pot Roast
Tools For This Recipe
– Check out all of my kitchen essentials here.
- 3.5 quart Dutch oven This is the one I have and is a great size for this recipe.
- Potato Masher I swear by this dual-head potato masher, it really makes the potatoes nice and creamy.
- Box Cheese Grater Shred the cheese from a block for best results.
- Immersion Blender This is what I use for this recipe, it makes it easy to incorporate the potatoes into the broth without transferring to a blender.
How To Make Sausage Potato Soup
1. In a large Dutch oven or pot, lightly brown the diced sausage in olive oil. As tempting as it is to sear them really dark, dont go overboard. You want the sausage somewhat tender, not crispy in the soup, and if the fond turn too dark, it can add a burnt flavor and color to your soup. Once browned, use a slotted spoon to transfer the pieces to a bowl and set aside.
2. Add onions to the pan and cook until they just begin to turn translucent around the edges, and then add the garlic and cook until its golden and smells amazing.
3. Add the potatoes, celery, and chicken broth, and bring to a simmer. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes, until potatoes can be easily smashed against the side of the pot with a fork.
4. Using a potato masher or spatula, roughly smash about half of the potatoes in the pot. This will make a thicker, creamier soup while still leaving some pieces of potato for texture.
5. In a medium pot, melt butter and add flour. Cook until flour begins to turn lightly goldenthis will cook the raw flour taste out of the roux.
6. Slowly drizzle in milk, whisking constantly as you go to whisk out any lumps. Cook, whisking continuously, until mixture is thickened and bubbly around the edges. Turn heat off, and slowly whisk in cheese, a handful at a time. Whisking the cheese in slowly, off the heat, will produce the smoothest sauce possible.
Don’t Miss: Lipton Pot Roast Crock Pot
Grandmothers Potato Soup Recipe
Soup and Stew 35 mins
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Potato Soup Recipe My Grandmother Verdies Potato Soup recipe makes an old-fashioned, easy, comforting soup recipe. Made with 5 ingredients and no heavy cream!
Soup always makes one of my favorite meals. Like our favorite vegetable soup and chicken and dumplings this is one of the soups that I grew up loving the most. Before there was such a thing as loading a potato soup with bacon, cheese, onions, my Grandmother Verdie made her potato soup very simply with potatoes, milk, butter, and salt and pepper. If my sister Wendy and I knew that Grandmother made this soup for supper, wed beg to be able to eat supper with her. With one bite, it is so easy to understand why!
Rich Creamy And Cheesy
- Savory, creamy, & with three kinds of cheese, this soup is hearty and filling.
- With easy prep, it can be ready in less than 30 minutes.
- Stir in steamed or leftover veggies .
- Serve cheesy potato soup as a complete meal with a side of biscuits.
Read Also: Campbell Soup Chicken And Rice Casserole
Cheesy Potato Soup #littlepotatoes
This is my third post as a Brand Ambassador for The Little Potato Co. I have been thrilled to have participated as I love potatoes and, in particular, Creamer potatoes. They are wonderful in so many dishes like in this Cheesy Potato Soup or just boiled up on their own and served with salt, pepper, and butter, mmmmmm, love them!!
Todays recipe is a magnificent and easy Cheesy Potato Soup. I lightened it up a bit, not making the broth too thick and rich for a nice spring/summer soup. We love having homemade soup all year round.
In the summer months produce is fresher and local and you can do lots of soups with Little Potato Co. Creamer potatoes like a Garden Harvest Soup, Summer Chicken Corn Chowder or a Lobster Roasted Corn Chowder.
How Long Does This Soup Last
Since potato soup contains dairy products, we advise consuming it fresh within 2 hours. A general rule of thumb is that creamy soups can stay in the refrigerator for 2 3 days and in the freezer for 2 months.
To best prepare your soup for storage, you should keep it in an airtight container or a freezer-safe bag. Dont pour too much liquid into the container we recommend leaving one inch of space to expand.
Recommended Reading: Lipton Onion Soup Pot Roast
How To Make Potato Soup
Cheesy Potato Soup With Broccoli
I was a bit of an anomaly as a kid.
I didnt care for peanut butter, opting for liverwurst instead. I loved oatmeal for breakfast and salad was one of my favorite snacks. And what was my pre-dinner ritual? Two tall glasses of milk before the food ever even hit the table.
Who was this kid?
I also liked broccoli. I mean I really, really, liked broccoli. When other kids wouldnt touch their green trees unless they were camouflaged under a blanket of cheddar cheese I loved them simply steamed with a little butter, salt and pepper and drizzled with vinegar. That side put me in heaven every time.
But even while I enjoyed my broc in that cleaner way, the soup that always rang my bell was a creamy cheddar cheese broccoli fusion. I dont know that my mom ever made it at home, but when we went out, it was my kryptonite.
Like most recipes you love as a kid, the cravings for them simply dont go away. And as things go as an adult, the extra lbs dont always go away as easily either. But this broccoli potato cheese soup recipe doesnt sacrifice flavor in its ingredient modifications, but instead is a healthyish version of my childhood fave.
Read Also: Campbell’s Tomato Soup Sloppy Joe Recipe
How To Make My Potato Cheddar Soup
These step by step photos and instructions are here to help you visualize how to make this recipe. Please scroll down to simply print out the instructions!
What Makes It Different
Instead of making a roux out of bacon drippings like we do for Baked Potato Soup, were going to make caramelized onions for this broth instead. It gives this soup a gourmet flair and adds a subtle sweet offset to that savory 3-cheese combo!
The seasonings in this recipe are also a huge bonus. They combine to form the best flavor combination.
Recommended Reading: What Spices Are In Lipton Onion Soup Mix
The Best Potato Soup Recipe
You could add all sorts of things to this soup if youd like, but I recommend starting with this simple, basic recipe and go from there. Most times, we would rather stick with this version than add a lot of other ingredients, like leeks, onions, and what not.
Ya know, simple really is best most of the time, isnt it?
Tips For Making The Best Potato Soup
The most important thing to note: theres a trick to adding the cheese so the soup doesnt break and turn into a chunky mess. Toss your freshly shredded cheese in a bit of flour first, then add it to the soup in small batches, stirring each batch until completely melted before adding another.
If you dump all of the cheese in at once, thats what youll havedumpy soup instead of creamy soup. And what kid of any age is gonna want to eat that?
Also note that you should use whole milk for this cheesy potato soup recipe. Whole milk has a good amount of fat, which will make this soup super creamy and flavorful. In a pinch, you could probably get away with 2% milk, but I dont recommend using a milk with less fat than that.
Whats In This Potato Cheese Soup
Spoiler: theres no cream in this recipe, just milk and chicken stock. The creamy factor to the broth is thanks to potatoes cooked in the broth that have then seen the bottom side of my immersion blender before the broccoli goes in. Dont worry, this easy potato soup recipe is still full of flavor and is creamy in texture.
Heres what youll need to make this broccoli potato soup:
Easy Cheesy Loaded Potato Soup
Easy Cheesy Loaded Potato Soup has all your favorite potato toppings in a warm, satisfying bowl. Cheese, crisp bacon, scallions and of course hearty potatoes in a creamy savory sauce. A real cold weather favorite!
Since two of us and our parents hail from the great state of Idaho, we know our way around potatoes. Scrumptious spuds in any form are a dinnertime staple in our family, but this rich, decadent soup is always a real treat. It only takes minutes to prepare, but tastes like its been simmering for hours. You will love this soup recipe!
Read Also: Soupergirl Net Worth
Tips For Making The Best Soup
It may be hard to find the best ever potato soup recipe because everyone has their preferences. However, there are some cooking tips to make the most delicious soup to your taste. Here are some tips weve come up with.
First of all, the soup needs to have the perfect texture. It can either be silky smooth or chunky its up to you. We blend our soup halfway to achieve a creamy texture while leaving some of the vegetables in chunks. This will give the soup a contrast in texture.
For a silky smooth soup, blend the whole thing and check the consistency. If your soup is a bit too thin for your liking, here are some tricks to make it thicker.
Adding flour is an easy way to thicken the liquid, and we also use it in this recipe. Yogurt, cream, or cheese can also help with the soups consistency. Note that if you do add cream or yogurt, dont boil the soup, or it will end up curdling.
How To Make Potato Bacon Soup
1. In a large pot, cook chopped bacon until barely crispy. While super crispy crunchy bacon is delicious, it isnt great in soup. Cook the bacon until its just cooked through and a little crisp around the edges, but still pliable and then use a slotted spoon to transfer the bacon to a plate.
2. Spoon off and discard all but about a tablespoon of the bacon grease and cook the onions and celery until the onions begin to turn translucent around the edges.
A Note on Bacon Grease: While its tempting to leave a ton of bacon grease behind when cooking the onions and celery, dont leave too much. During testing, when I left a lot of grease in the pan, I found that it left an oily sheen on the top of the soup when it was finished cooking. About a tablespoon was the perfect amount to keep that bacon flavor without making the soup too oily.
3. Add potatoes and chicken broth and simmer until the potatoes are fork-tender. Once potatoes are tender, use a potato masher or fork to roughly smash about half the potatoes.
Potato Mashing Tip: If your potato masher is metal and youre cooking the soup in a pot that shouldnt be used with metal cooking tools, simple ladle about half the potatoes into a heatproof bowl, smash them in the bowl, and then add them back to your soup.
6. Dish up the soup, top with sour cream, more cheese and green onions if desired, and chopped up bacon, and enjoy!!
Read Also: Ingredients In Lipton Onion Soup Mix Dry
How To Make Cheddar Potato Soup :
In a soup pot, sauté the onion and celery in butter for about 5 minutes, then stir in the garlic and flour to make a roux. Whisk the chicken broth in until the flour has dissolved. Add in the cream, Worcestershire sauce, and potatoes. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender. Turn the heat off and stir in the cheddar and season with salt & pepper to taste.
You may also like my Easy Baked Potato Soup.
How Do You Keep Potatoes From Getting Mushy In Soup
To keep potatoes from going mushy or being overcooked, just cook them to the exact time that is needed, like in this recipe. The potatoes are cooked for 15 min. only, this also makes for a quick dinner.
I know you are going to want to make this soup really soon. It is so simple and has very simple ingredients. I think it is one of the best soups I have ever made and my family raved about it.
You dont need to pull out the slow cooker, dutch oven or instant pot for this recipe. It is all pulled together in just over 15 min. in a pot on the stove over medium heat.
Once the veggies have cooked for a minute and the flour has been added then all you need to do is whisk in the chicken broth and add the potatoes. Bring to a boil and they are cooked in just 15 minutes.
Finally, the milk is added and brought back to a simmer, then the cheese is added along with salt and pepper. The soup is ladled into bowls and just before serving a final garnish of green onion.
These are the little beauties I used for this Cheesy Potato Soup recipe. They are the Blushing Belle varietal which are a delicious little red potato. They are pre-washed and all ready to roll when you are!! It couldnt be easier!!
Grab a bag today and whip up this soup, you can thank me later!! ENJOY!!
Read Also: Campbell Soup Chicken And Rice Casserole